Brisbane Busway System - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 31st, 2009, 01:49 PM   #101
L2
98zalid fanboi

Likes (Received): 1774

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogiew
Or a busway under coro drive would be nice, thought toowong to indooroopilly.
There's a parallel four track railway along that route - use it!

I know QR only runs a very ordinary service on the Ipswich line at the moment and the buses are designed not to feed it, but building a new busway that would entirely duplicate an existing railway that already has four tracks would be utter lunacy.
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2009, 02:31 PM   #102
Yogiew

Likes (Received): 0

Hello

Buses are desgined to feed trains, that is why the train timetable is printed in bus timetables and times change with major train changes. It is why we have Railbus routes as well.

Yes the ipswich line has four tracks, but buses, do not run on train tracks, they are running congested brisbane roads and so they need a busway to get though the traffic.

They can always rip up the 2 tracks and build a busway, but that is no good. Or convert two lanes of moggill road /coro drive to a bus land or the miltion road.

Brisbane dose need a Western Busway, the train dosen't go to the centenary estates or Moggill, Kenmore or Bookfield, does it.

Bye
Yogiew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 02:36 PM   #103
L2
98zalid fanboi

Quote:
Yes the ipswich line has four tracks, but buses, do not run on train tracks, they are running congested brisbane roads and so they need a busway to get though the traffic.
Quote:
the train dosen't go to the centenary estates or Moggill, Kenmore or Bookfield, does it
Why can't the buses run to Indooroopilly, where people can connect with an increased train service to the City? Or you're saying that the buses from those places must run all the way cos people are too scared to change?

Are the current bus routes fixed in gold, can never be changed, and therefore a busway needs to be built beside an existing under-utilised rail corridor? Wot a waste.

Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2009, 02:39 PM   #104
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 889

ROFL.

I can see this conversation descending into utter confusion for everyone. Carry on...
Old January 31st, 2009, 02:46 PM   #105
Yogiew

Hello L2

Yes I agree, buses can run to the train station, It is a Good idea, But there is not enough Trains to do that.

Also L2 before you worry about us, I think sydney is has worring problems.

Bye

Last edited by Yogiew; January 31st, 2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old January 31st, 2009, 02:59 PM   #106
L2
98zalid fanboi

Quote:
Yes I agree, buses can run to the train station, It is a Good idea, But there is not enough Trains to do that.
Buy some more trains then - cheaper than building a useless busway. And get rid of those useless guards.

QR already would have enough rollingstock to run trains every 5 minutes to Corinda during the off-peak seeing how many trains they have sitting in yards for most of the day. Would need more for peak though.

Quote:
Also L2 before you worry about us, I think melbourne at currently is more worring.
Umm.. what?
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:16 PM   #107
Yogiew

Hello

Yes need more train for peak then bus could end at Indooroopilly station and contiune to the destations, then we would not need a South Western Busway.

The drivers of the buses wish there was one though esp suncorp statium and toowong.

Anyother Ideas on a South Western Busway or Ipswich Road Busway.

Thanks.
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:45 PM   #108
jchan123

Likes (Received): 1

Sorry Yogiew, i have to agree with L2 here.
Why can't bus commuters change at Indro station? I know it is a fair bit of walk from the train station to the bus station, maybe council and state government should have a joint venture to rebuild that section. Make it something similar to the Barricks in Milton, something i think Trent has mentioned before.
Building a bus interchange there with trains and buses can free up a lot of buses for the demanding west side, therefore increase the capacity.
Two stupid problems are preventing this, the barrier between our local council and the state government, and the lack of train drivers.
Old January 31st, 2009, 07:37 PM   #109
Danubis
i've changed my mind

Likes (Received): 2486

i think a western busway would be better from kelvin grove to the gap. would be nice if it could link up with a train station, but i think it would be quite hard geographically
Danubis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 02:30 AM   #110
brisbanite

Likes (Received): 736

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
Buy some more trains then - cheaper than building a useless busway. And get rid of those useless guards.

QR already would have enough rollingstock to run trains every 5 minutes to Corinda during the off-peak seeing how many trains they have sitting in yards for most of the day. Would need more for peak though.
I don't think Yogiew is john Mickel or Andrew Fraser so bit hard for him to do that. Brisbane does however have this mentality of having buses running duplicate routes to the rail service instead of using them as a feeder service and increasing rail services.

The Qld govt should though drop this ludicrous petrol subsidy and free up this money for investment into public transport. The subsidy is not fully passed on to motorists by petrol companies and in this envrionment where oil prices are down we do not need it.
brisbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 02:51 AM   #111
Fyver

Likes (Received): 766

During peak, if buses ferry passengers into trains, where exactly are the extra train passengers going to stand or hang onto the sides, sit on the roof maybe?

Typical mentality is once you're on your mode of transport, you don't get off until your stop, thats a hard thing to change - flip the arguement, would you empty a train at a bus interchange, how do you think that would go down.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are not those of my employer, its subsidiaries, clients and partners, not necessarily mine, probably not necessary, and don't intentionally mean to kill the fun.
Fyver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 02:55 AM   #112
TOCC

Likes (Received): 2781

I was just saying that the other day, i honestly dont even know what the reasoning behind having the subsidy is, if there was any time to cut it, it would be now.
TOCC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 04:20 AM   #113
Brissy4me

Likes (Received): 7

I would have thought that bus commuters from the west would stay on the bus, considering the buz stops at Roma St Station anyway. Besides, people are lazy and don't want to walk the hill between Indooroopilly bus and train stations.
Old February 1st, 2009, 02:24 PM   #114
jchan123

That is a big issue for Brisbane commuters.
Other cities' residents, especially ones in Asia, are will to swap modes of public transport.
But then again, there services are so frequent it is not funny.
Old February 1st, 2009, 02:37 PM   #115
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 yrs), Auckland NZ (7 yrs), Stockholm, Sweden (8 yrs), NOW: Glasgow, UK
Likes (Received): 12231

Are they? The Chinese metro frequencies look very poor indeed in Beijing and Shanghai. Not all frequencies of PT in Asia are great from what I've seen, what they do have, however, is a population who are willing to wait and be patient and who know that in most cases PTis much faster than the road which is not the case all the time in Australia.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:19 AM   #116
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 5457

To be built under the future RBWH Busway Station:

New $8M bicycle centre for Brisbane hospital
Penny Brand | January 31, 2009 - 12:44PM

A new $8 million bicycle centre being built at the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital will help cut traffic congestion and car exhaust emissions, the Queensland government says.

The 750-capacity bicycle centre, being built at Herston in Brisbane's inner-north, will feature 40 showers, 900 lockers, a towel service and CCTV.

It coincides with the state government's $18 million boost for 89 new cycle network projects across South East Queensland.

Transport Minister John Mickel said the centre would provide secure storage and change facilities for hospital staff, outpatients, vistors and local residents.

He said the state-of-the art centre should entice motorists to use bicycles.

"To make cycling and walking options even more attractive, we need quality end-of-trip facilities where people can securely park their bikes, change clothes and freshen up," Mr Mickel said.

"More cyclists and pedestrians means less private cars, less congestion and less harmful exhaust gas emissions."

Three water tanks, with the capacity to hold 91,000 litres of water, will be built under the centre and used to clean the busway station and water adjacent hospital gardens.

The cycle centre would be operated by Queensland Health who would charge "a modest fee", Mr Mickel said.

The centre is being built by the Northern Busway Alliance which is in charge of the Northern Busway, from Herston to Windsor.

It will be larger than the existing 400-bicycle facility at King George Square, in Brisbane City, constructed as part of the Inner Northern Busway.

The Herston centre is expected to open in September.

AAP
Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:44 AM   #117
jchan123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Are they? The Chinese metro frequencies look very poor indeed in Beijing and Shanghai. Not all frequencies of PT in Asia are great from what I've seen, what they do have, however, is a population who are willing to wait and be patient and who know that in most cases PTis much faster than the road which is not the case all the time in Australia.

I guess i should change it from whole of Asia to just large cities like Tokyo, Seoul and Hong Kong.
And yes i agree with you.
I remember when I was in Tokyo, to get from where my host family lives to my host school, my host brother and me have to catch a monorail (or the other option bus) to the train station and change train.
I never would had thought monorail can be that efficent in public transport.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:50 AM   #118
Danubis
i've changed my mind

Likes (Received): 2486

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJBrissy View Post
To be built under the future RBWH Busway Station:

New $8M bicycle centre for Brisbane hospital
Penny Brand | January 31, 2009 - 12:44PM

A new $8 million bicycle centre being built at the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital will help cut traffic congestion and car exhaust emissions, the Queensland government says.

The 750-capacity bicycle centre, being built at Herston in Brisbane's inner-north, will feature 40 showers, 900 lockers, a towel service and CCTV.

It coincides with the state government's $18 million boost for 89 new cycle network projects across South East Queensland.

Transport Minister John Mickel said the centre would provide secure storage and change facilities for hospital staff, outpatients, vistors and local residents.

He said the state-of-the art centre should entice motorists to use bicycles.

"To make cycling and walking options even more attractive, we need quality end-of-trip facilities where people can securely park their bikes, change clothes and freshen up," Mr Mickel said.

"More cyclists and pedestrians means less private cars, less congestion and less harmful exhaust gas emissions."

Three water tanks, with the capacity to hold 91,000 litres of water, will be built under the centre and used to clean the busway station and water adjacent hospital gardens.

The cycle centre would be operated by Queensland Health who would charge "a modest fee", Mr Mickel said.

The centre is being built by the Northern Busway Alliance which is in charge of the Northern Busway, from Herston to Windsor.

It will be larger than the existing 400-bicycle facility at King George Square, in Brisbane City, constructed as part of the Inner Northern Busway.

The Herston centre is expected to open in September.

AAP
staff at the royal will go nuts over this... they're all bike mad. its like another world. all they think about is bikes. good idea.
Danubis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:51 AM   #119
crazyknightsfan
derp

Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Likes (Received): 2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchan123 View Post
I never would had thought monorail can be that efficent in public transport.
Monorail is essentially a low capacity elevated railway - it can be efficient when used to fill a specific niche
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:12 AM   #120
jchan123

^ and you are correct
the route it travelled through basically is a heavily build-up area
we never caught the bus because it always stuck in traffic jams
if people wants more info, the monorail is called
Shonan Monorail
Advertisement

Tags
brisbane, buses, busway