HOBART- VISION: The STEM Project - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Tasmania

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 3rd, 2020, 12:07 AM   #21
OptomistOne

Likes (Received): 1027

AFAIK, there are no specific heritage restrictions on adding a few floors behind the facade - just the general ones applicable for that precinct.

If my spies are right, UTAS has already run the ruler over that one with 5-6 stories being possibly added at some point.

But that's the old plan so only time will tell what happens in future.

London, the World's Greatest City.......................................after Hobart.
OptomistOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2020, 06:11 AM   #22
Tasmanian

Likes (Received): 478

Interesting to hear them contemplating an extension. It’s not a small site as it is, I wouldn’t have thought they would need vastly more space.

Any and all info on the campus move is greatly appreciated O1–I’m very interested in this one!
Tasmanian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2020, 08:46 AM   #23
Tasmanian

Well! Big news.

(At this point, maybe this can just be the UTAS City Campus thread?)

Quote:
Hobart hardware store K&D Warehouse to close to make way for student accommodation
A business started in Tasmania 118 years ago will soon close with a big clearance sale to make way for a University of Tasmania development.
CAMERON WHITELEY, Mercury
Subscriber only
February 3, 2020 4:58pm

AN ICONIC Tasmanian business will close its doors in coming weeks after 118 years of trading.

The University of Tasmania last year purchased the 1.3 ha K&D Warehouse site on Melville St for $30 million for student accommodation.

The company has revealed UTAS had exercised its option to cancel the hardware store’s lease and bring forward the development of the Hobart CBD site.

In a statement on Monday afternoon, K&D chairman Greg Goodman said a closing down sale would begin this Friday, with price reductions starting at 20 per cent to 80 per cent.

“While Hobart will surely miss K&D, the board of directors are delighted the University of Tasmania will deliver a generational change and economic windfall to the city over many years to come,’’ he said.

“The past 18 months have been great for K&D and in many respects, I feel we are going out on top.”

Mr Goodman also paid tribute to long-serving employees.

“Some of our staff at Hobart have been with the business for more than 40 years and I take this opportunity to pay tribute to them and thank them publicly for their unstinting dedication,’’ he said.

Mr Goodman said the company expects to return a further $8 per share to shareholders post liquidation.

“Finally, on behalf of the board and management I want to personally thank each and every one of our shareholders for their investment in K&D and a huge thank you to our loyal customers for allowing us to serve you for so long,’’ he said.

K&D has been running hardware operations since Andrew Kemp and Victor Denning established a small timber merchant business in Hobart in 1902.

Mr Denning retired in 1917 from the partnership and the Kemp family became the cornerstone shareholders of the enterprise to this day.

In 1963, K&D became an unlisted public company with more than 50 shareholders.

At its peak, K&D employed almost 300 Tasmanians, operating four hardware warehouses and give trade outlets.

“There’s not many businesses in Australia let alone globally that can boast a 118-year existence and one only has to glance at the ASX 25 years ago to see how many businesses have fallen by the way side,’’ Mr Goodman said.

“K&D has been a strong contributor to the local economy for many years and the Kemp family in particular should be acknowledged for their unwavering generosity and support.

“The company has also donated to a variety of causes over a very long period of time.”
Seems crazy to me that they’ve pulled the pin on the retail lease without even lodging a DA though. Who knows how long it might take to get through council? What builder can commence in the next few months?

Last edited by Tasmanian; February 3rd, 2020 at 09:01 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2020, 11:17 PM   #24
OptomistOne

If my spies are correct, nothing at all will happen on this site for at least 12 months. It will remain a car park with maybe some demolition to open up more spaces for the foreseeable future although some geo tech will occur and some planning studies. There will be no major construction of any type for quite a while yet.

Now, if my intel is correct, the option was there to let K & D stay on the site for another few years but UTAS wanted the flexibility to maybe move sooner than that and there was no appetite from K & D for another less certain lease so, bye bye K & D...not that it matters that much. K & D are on life support pretty much now and have been for a few years since Bunnings entered the market.

And good idea about renaming this the UTAS Hobart CBD Discussion Thread - any Mods reading this???

London, the World's Greatest City.......................................after Hobart.
Old February 4th, 2020, 03:09 AM   #25
Chuq

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptomistOne View Post
And good idea about renaming this the UTAS Hobart CBD Discussion Thread - any Mods reading this???
Hedberg, Accommodation buildings #1 and #2 have each had their own thread? Why not split out the posts related to the K&D site to a dedicated thread?
Chuq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2020, 05:03 AM   #26
OptomistOne

That would work although it may be some time before we see individual DA's going in and there is likely to be some general chatter. But i am happy to post to whatever new threads are set up.

Old February 4th, 2020, 11:30 PM   #27
Sulaco

Likes (Received): 29

I've also heard the rumour through a science education source that UTAS thinking now is STEM on K&D, which would make sense to me, keep all the students/library etc in the city centre, and different faculties in a ring around them.
Sulaco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2020, 12:08 AM   #28
OptomistOne

I think you may be right Sulaco.

If my spies are correct - the STEM site is shaping up to be preferred student accommodation area as well as other services but not all of the site as it is so large, just in one of the corners.

Will be interesting to see what comes out of all this.

Old February 10th, 2020, 06:15 AM   #29
Tasmanian

Er, well: https://www.realcommercial.com.au/fo...7000-503461234

zeehaen liked this post
Old February 11th, 2020, 12:05 AM   #30
OptomistOne

That is consistent with what my spies have told me. The medium term focus will be on the STEM Site and K & D with the Forestry Building being much further down the line.

I cant see UTAS getting much interest from the market though...plenty of other empty old offices around the CBD. But UTAS can undercut the market on rent (not being a private landlord) so it might get lucky...

Old February 14th, 2020, 07:02 AM   #31
ibuildrocketships

Likes (Received): 253

I'd say you're on the ball guys. Surveyors have been assessing both sites in recent weeks. Possibly working on demolition plans though, rather than development plans. I'd say we'll see UNI operated carparks on the flattened sites for a while until DA's are submitted.
ibuildrocketships no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:48 PM   #32
OptomistOne

Probably a bit of both ibuildrocketships - the surveying informs the master planning and also does the groundwork for demo and car parking.

Hobart's car parking woes might be resolved at least for a few years at this rate!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement