Projects & Discussions | Perth Waterfront | Urban Renewal - Page 779 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Western Australia

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 15th, 2020, 03:35 PM   #15561
Daniel Hawksmoor

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westoz View Post
The lack of a distinguished podium in all of the concepts has annoyed me. The glass tower looks fine (even if featureless) but it runs to the ground so abruptly. Same as the main EQ west tower.
Not saying these podiumless towers are great although I really like the EQ West design and the original version of this one, but in my mind, unless done really well, most podiums needlessly break up the architectural form above and remove surrounding space at ground level. I get that they provide more amenity but they rarely do anything positive architecturally IMO. The Ritz-Carlton is a good example. Nice form on top. Horrible podium, without even a hint of integration between the two.

Walbanger liked this post

Last edited by Daniel Hawksmoor; February 15th, 2020 at 03:57 PM.
Daniel Hawksmoor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2020, 03:41 PM   #15562
hayds
rɘƨU bɘrɘtƨigɘЯ

Likes (Received): 11413

The other annoying thing is the all the 'plus' puns I can't make anymore.
Old Yesterday, 01:11 AM   #15563
Matt debater

Likes (Received): 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic-k View Post
I have to say, I feel the same.

My first feeling was definitely WTF, but the more I look at it, the more I appreciate it. It gives the feeling on strength and one that feels like it anchors the area. I feel like the combination of the standard tower look jazzed up a bit with the cantilevered makes for a nice transition between the more edgy buildings in the Quay, and the more ho-hum buildings in the city proper

I definitely liked the original design at the time, but now looking back at it, it just seems 'weak' compared to this current proposal, where its heft seems to pull together the buildings on the opposing sides of the Quay
Another 50m and not many would be knocking the design.

I still gave feedback saying the original plan was better and I'd prefer a taller slimmer design.

alnbal liked this post
Matt debater no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:48 AM   #15564
WCG

Likes (Received): 443

Reduction in height in this proposal is a good thing any taller and it make it just so much worse. The design is not completely bad I just much prefer the original and this would have been better on a site like across the road from Perth Arena (4 points site) or the site across the road from the Court (the one World Trade Center).

Reduce the width and put the plus back

alnbal liked this post
WCG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM   #15565
glasscity

Likes (Received): 12

I am on the fence on this one, It has a mid town New York vibe to it
glasscity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM   #15566
weztralia

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasscity View Post
I am on the fence on this one, It has a mid town New York vibe to it

But this isn’t mid town New York

olio gris liked this post
weztralia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM   #15567
Urbicus

Likes (Received): 4874

In my professional assessment, that's absolutely fucked

hayds, gumnut, olio gris liked this post
Urbicus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM   #15568
Dilaz89

Likes (Received): 5997

Perth'd right in the A. Besides height, the + element was only good thing the initial proposal gave us.

It would probably look great somewhere in the CBD or even city link though. The DA is really nice and REX are a top firm, but the design is just not justified for the waterfront. EQ West has already claimed the verticle glass block with large minimalistic covered plaza spot. It would be nice to see a bit more variety in design. I'm really over flat rooves.

It's probably time to make a thread. I'm not that optimistic that the design will change much. Write a submission anyway though.

sean-freo liked this post
Dilaz89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM   #15569
Blindfold
I said love, I said pet

Likes (Received): 185

The original design is still my favourite. Although my initial reaction to the latest iteration was "this is just ******* hideous, what a mistake etc" every time i've looked at this new design over the last 3 or 4 days, the more sympathetic I'm becoming to it. A grower. Really don't like the "T" window element though.

My usual concern is that the shiney light-silver facades in the renderings will end up a dull very dark grey.
Old Today, 10:46 AM   #15570
yatesy.21

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilaz89 View Post
EQ West has already claimed the verticle glass block with large minimalistic covered plaza spot. It would be nice to see a bit more variety in design. I'm really over flat rooves.
Quick photoshop onto their original render showing the wider context with EQ West and Brookfield Place

Gruso liked this post
yatesy.21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:18 PM   #15571
WCG

Likes (Received): 443

So reading through the application they have stated-

The proposed design continues Perth’s historical block structure and complements the existing urban massing of high-rises in the CBD...

The design through its position and its bold massing responds to both corner treatments and the intersections to provide a legible and iconic built form...

1 tenancy per tower facing GBA and wrapping around into the central gallery.

The middle aspects of each tower facing the gallery will now be core/essential services/blank walls...

The middle gallery will have doors across its entire north and south side, which while I agree probably help shield wind, I wonder if will a deterrent to actually having the public use it???? I prefer the EQ West Gallery which is open and allows people to move freely through...

Hmmmm oh welllll.....
WCG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
brisbane, mandurahboyz, melbourne, quay, waterfront towers