3 Arena Central | HMRC | Offices | 14fl | 73m | U/C - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 17th, 2016, 11:31 PM   #61
Rwnbiad

Likes (Received): 184

I understand that we have a housing shortage but is there really a lack of one bed flats?
Rwnbiad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2016, 11:33 PM   #62
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2697

One bed is better than no beds Rwnbiad.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 11:38 PM   #63
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17528

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
I know there`s lots of sites but there aren`t enough to meet the requirement of building nearly 90,000 homes in the next 15 years. That`s why the City Council is looking at the neighbouring authorities to help and looking to the green belt in Sutton.

These are only two sites but they amount to 400 units. I also seem to remember another site in the city centre that has been changed from residential to another use but I can`t remember which one.

I agree but another site (I believe this is Masshouse) has changed the other way, from an Office led development to now All Residential
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 11:40 PM   #64
Rwnbiad

But if there was real demand for these flats then they would be building them. I suspect that the issue is that the value of the flat once built isn't offering enough margin to developers. Otherwise surely the'd be built?
Old March 17th, 2016, 11:42 PM   #65
Rwnbiad

Is the 90,000 homes broken down in to different types? For example how many houses need building?
Old March 17th, 2016, 11:43 PM   #66
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4696

Well if they can`t make a profit from building over 400 units in two high rise blocks in the city centre, then they must be doing something wrong.
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 11:46 PM   #67
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 4505

The right location for high rise high density housing in Birmingham is over in Ladywood ... the rear of the Barclaycard Arena and around the Icknield Port Loop area. just a short walk, tram ride or even canal ferry in to the city centre.

Here the land would be cheaper, and a few tall residential buildings of 40 storeys would look great in this area.

morestoreysplease liked this post
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 11:47 PM   #68
djay
The promised land

indeed is the case. Office is at saturation in the city though so i wouldn't be surprised to see all sorts of switches.

Quote:
Well if they can`t make a profit from building over 400 units in two high rise blocks in the city centre, then they must be doing something wrong.
Not really, its just not as profitable as office is. Look at how tall they are going to make a profit with office vs how tall they would have went with resi.

Rwnbiad liked this post

Last edited by djay; March 17th, 2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old March 17th, 2016, 11:48 PM   #69
Rwnbiad

I think they only way of making money on a large resi development at the moment is selling them off plan to naive investors by inflatimg the price and then discounting back by offering the first years rent at above market rate (aka 1 hagley road)????
Old March 17th, 2016, 11:49 PM   #70
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblast View Post
The right location for high rise high density housing in Birmingham is over in Ladywood ... the rear of the Barclaycard Arena and around the Icknield Port Loop area. just a short walk, tram ride or even canal ferry in to the city centre.

Here the land would be cheaper, and a few tall residential buildings of 40 storeys would look great in this area.

Yes but developers could ask alot more £ per sqft for developments at Arena Central than at Icknield Port Loop.

In fact, the more I think about it, I find this business of changing the use of these two sites very very strange indeed.
Old March 17th, 2016, 11:50 PM   #71
Rwnbiad

You can ask but you might have to wait a long time
Old March 17th, 2016, 11:51 PM   #72
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
indeed is the case. Office is at saturation in the city though so i wouldn't be surprised to see all sorts of switches.

Not really, its just not as profitable as office. Look at how tall they are going to make a profit with office vs how tall they would have went with resi.

Okay. Fair point but I thought that the intention was for Arena Central to be mixed use.

Remember, Paradise won`t include any residential.
Old March 17th, 2016, 11:51 PM   #73
Rwnbiad

Quote:

Not really, its just not as profitable as office. Look at how tall they are going to make a profit with office vs how tall they would have went with resi.
I agree but hopefully this could change if more large firms relocated to birmingham. At least more office space will make this a cheaper prospect.
Old March 17th, 2016, 11:53 PM   #74
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14700

You know what, its not the fact we're losing residential, they were just great looking buildings!

And now instead of 84m, we'll probably get a 30m office, great. I don't understand why we can't get other offices started first, like Lumina before things like this happen, really pissed me off that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post

Rwnbiad, RalphGuy, joshwebb liked this post
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 11:58 PM   #75
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 5134

If anything it's going to turn into a very centralised office district with wonderful city squares and some very good leisure facilities. This area could very well become our main bustling city centre with this, paradise, potential big redevelopment of regency wharf, left bank, and who knows what else. Can't be long until baskerville wharf is thought about as a residential hot spot.

I would like to see residential somewhere in this area and maybe dandara's site will be reworked now by them to accomodate even more flats as there is less competition now 400 have gone from the area. That could mean we might see a new proposal there and much much bigger. Just a thought
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2016, 12:00 AM   #76
Owd Dog

Likes (Received): 118

Quote:
I know there`s lots of sites but there aren`t enough to meet the requirement of building nearly 90,000 homes in the next 15 years. That`s why the City Council is looking at the neighbouring authorities to help and looking to the green belt in Sutton.
Hi, Ralph - it's frustrating, but I guess we have to bear in mind what the market wants, as well as what it'll bear.

Many people - especially those who hope to start families - prefer to be 'urban homesteaders' with a house and a little plot of land. In part, that explains why so many of the residential developments we see are still for pitched-roofed semis (and why there's still pressure on green belt sites).

I don't follow the residential market that closely, but there seems to be a shift to PRS for city apartments. As another poster's already said, all those Home Counties commuters will have to live somewhere during the week!
Owd Dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2016, 12:08 AM   #77
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblast View Post
I think in light of what has happened over the last 10 years, a museum dedicated to religion would be an appalling idea ... in my opinion.
You could probably put a couple of noughts on the end of that figure Sandy and further back than that if you include the great exodus of the Jews from Egypt, but let's not get bogged down by trivialities of differing interpretations of how we came to live as one on a lonely planet lol!
Old March 18th, 2016, 12:11 AM   #78
djay
The promised land

Just a thought... i'm guessing that maybe, they have a pre-let on the building for a yet to be named company who requires that about amount of space. Custom built building for them maybe...?

Birmingham liked this post
Old March 18th, 2016, 12:13 AM   #79
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 4505

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
You could probably put a couple of noughts on the end of that figure Sandy and further back than that if you include the great exodus of the Jews from Egypt, but let's not get bogged down by trivialities of differing interpretations of how we came to live as one on a lonely planet lol!
How could a museum dedicated to religion ignore the atrocities that have been carried out over the last 2000 years .... including in the modern age, beheadings ... in the name of religion. Makes me feel sick at the prospect of this building even being considered for this use.
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2016, 12:23 AM   #80
Rwnbiad

Quote:
Just a thought... i'm guessing that maybe, they have a pre-let on the building for a yet to be named company who requires that about amount of space. Custom built building for them maybe...?
I agree. Hopefully a new tenant rather than am existing company shifting like pwc. Is the building to the rhs of the old banking hall speculative? If the whole site is owned by the same fund then i wouldnt have thought they would want two empty buildings available at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement