New Street Station | Redevelopment | Comp. - Page 689 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects Completed projects in the West Midlands Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2019, 01:06 AM   #13761
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14845

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalVernacular View Post
This wall gets an extreme amount of sun - if it's not being constantly irrigated I'm not surprised the plants are dying. Let's hope they've learned from how the wall has performed up until this point so we're not in this situation again for a good few years.

The wall at the Mailbox continues to thrive - less sun? better maintenance? but shows they can work.
Same as the one at Snow Hill, but I guess that wall has 3 large buildings blocking sunlight.

LocalVernacular liked this post
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2019, 10:49 AM   #13762
Brummigrant

Likes (Received): 518

The toilets in the red(?) lounge are being refurbed at the mo.

The ones in the yellow(?) lounge already have been and the layout makes a lot more sense - unless it was just the alcohol and they’ve only changed furniture.
Brummigrant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2019, 12:00 PM   #13763
metrogogo

Likes (Received): 19879

Good to see the Green Living Wall up and running again.

New Street Railway Station
by metrogogo, on Flickr

by metrogogo, on Flickr

by metrogogo, on Flickr
metrogogo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2019, 12:59 PM   #13764
rotundazag

Likes (Received): 1209

They need to do this on the Hill Street side!
rotundazag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2019, 09:48 PM   #13765
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Likes (Received): 1906

Any hope the escalators are ever going to be fixed? I see one going to Grand Central has been out of order for over two years now, if not more.
Old June 9th, 2019, 03:27 PM   #13766
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8031

which one Simon I’ve never noticed one consistently out? Only one out at a time but usually have work men on them to be fair
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 01:22 AM   #13767
Mercurius

Likes (Received): 243

New Street Station | Redevelopment | Comp.

Have we gave up with the bridge ever being re clad at the back? The bridge In general internally is poor too, with exposed wires and netting on multiple stairways that have gathered a lot of grime. Very poor end to all the works taking place.

rotundazag, Lucas98, U475 Foxtrot liked this post
Mercurius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 04:24 PM   #13768
sefton66

I think the bridge has been long forgotten like the top of the rotunda being finished properly...

LocalVernacular, rotundazag liked this post
Old June 12th, 2019, 01:49 AM   #13769
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 496

...and the lift in the Library and the bottom corner of Masshouse

LocalVernacular, rotundazag liked this post
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 08:23 AM   #13770
sefton66

Images and video on link below

Quote:
Network Rail has invested £175,000 in a new assisted travel lounge at Birmingham New Street station which opened today (10/06).

The new lounge provides a welcoming waiting space for people with additional mobility and sensory needs and a dedicated team to help them.

The investment is part of Network Rails ‘Railway Upgrade Plan’, a multi-billion pound upgrade scheme which is the biggest investment programme in the railways since Victorian times.

To make it easily accessible during opening hours the lounge door will always be open, with bright multicoloured signs to aid the visually impaired. The room has 24 seats at different heights and a water bowl for service dogs.

Karen Hornby, head of performance and customer relationship for Network Rail, said: “It’s a priority for Network Rail to provide first-class service to our customers. Travelling through a busy railway station can be daunting for those with additional needs but the new assisted travel lounge provides a friendly space for people to wait and get the help they need from a dedicated team. It will transform the way passengers access rail travel at Birmingham New Street.”

The assisted travel lounge was designed with the guidance of Birmingham New Street’s accessibility forum, which includes people with disabilities, their carers and advocates, to ensure the space meets the needs of those who’ll use it.

Mark Sanders, member of the Birmingham Accessibility Forum, said: “I’m registered blind and travel with my guide dog Lily through the station which can sometimes be challenging.

“Having this new waiting lounge will give me a calm place to wait for assistance staff and will be great for the hundreds of people who use assisted travel every week. Network Rail has ticked so many of the boxes and has listened to what people like me need.”

Passengers who need the assisted travel service should speak to their train operator before their journey when booking their ticket.

The new waiting space can be found in the Birmingham New Street red lounge in the place of the old Virgin Trains first class travel lounge.

https://www.birminghamupdates.com/ra...treet-station/
Old June 12th, 2019, 03:55 PM   #13771
LocalVernacular
...you can call me LoVe.

Likes (Received): 932

...and the missing discs on Selfridges.

rotundazag liked this post
LocalVernacular no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags