Is today's architecture bland? - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture » Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 14th, 2019, 11:19 PM   #1
mapece

Likes (Received): 588

Is today's architecture bland?

I'm not sure if it's correct to generalize, but I often have the impression watching contemporary architecture that there are a lot of buildings that look all the same, a bit like the old song "little boxes".
Just look at the thread about brutalism: one can love or hate the style, but it's undeniable that in the past it produced architecture with a extremely strong personality. It was like whisky. Whisky is not for everybody, but it's strong.
Today even brutalism has often this boxy, minimalist, safe, bland look that I can't even say it's ugly (even because I mean, I'm talking of what are often luxurious buildings), but it's just... bland, boring.
And while I'm not a biggest fan of minimalism there were certainly architects who built things where it's easy to understand the "less is more" argument. Look at architects like Barragan, Kazuo Shinohara, Hans Van der Laan.
Today with a lot of minimalism to me it seems that many times less is just less. Just a clean, sterile display of lack of imagination.

What do you think about this?

Last edited by mapece; October 14th, 2019 at 11:29 PM.
mapece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2019, 11:33 PM   #2
Fotografer

Likes (Received): 293

Its true, many brutalist building is good, yes it is like from the dark far future, dystopian cyberpunk, or military bunker from past or Darth Vader style.
However, their appearance is interesting, ambitious, expressive. Actual many or most new modern design is boring and average style - not beautiful, impressive and not complete ugly.
Fotografer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2019, 01:14 AM   #3
Brama23

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotografer View Post
Its true, many brutalist building is good, yes it is like from the dark far future, dystopian cyberpunk, or military bunker from past or Darth Vader style.
However, their appearance is interesting, ambitious, expressive. Actual many or most new modern design is boring and average style - not beautiful, impressive and not complete ugly.
+1
Brama23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement