Upper Dean Street | Student Accommodation/Retail | 11fl | 37m | U/C - Page 8 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2018, 02:27 PM   #141
BhamJim

Likes (Received): 879

I would be very sceptical about clearing the 'little factories' from Digbeth, particularly the Custard Factory/Fazeley Street area.

This is a wonderful artisan/bohemian area, ripe for becoming Birmingham's Camden Town. It should IMO be preserved, yes improved, renovated and developed, but with the utmost care and consideration. Save the glass and colourfully clad talls for Eastside and other parts of the city. Digbeth needs a Jewellery Quarter approach.

Old May 14th, 2018, 02:40 PM   #142
daumal

Likes (Received): 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComPurch View Post
I notice you avoided my second point about the relocating of the Markets triumvirate?Could this be because,on reflection,you accept they are fundamental to the human heartbeat of the area.Take them away and why would anyone venture further than St Martin's if only to return home to the massed apartment blocks of boxes that the area beyond is going to become.
A little unfair when you look at the Smithfield masterplan. The market buildings may be demolished, but will be remain on the site in a brand new facility - the correct decision, in my opinion. And the overall ambition is for something a lot more than massed apartment blocks.

We'll have to wait and see whether it happens, of course, but as it stands I think there's an awful lot to be positive about. Birmingham doesn't have the best history of moving forward whilst simultaneously preserving the good aspects of what was there before, but I get the beginning of a sense that this is changing slightly. Maybe this is the time it'll get done well.
As revealed to St John the Divine.

Kingsheathen liked this post
daumal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 08:07 PM   #143
ComPurch

Likes (Received): 833

daumal

You need to read Guilbert's post of May 12...

He was 'in favour' of totally relocating the triumvirate of Markets to an (unspecified) alternative city centre location-not rebuilding on site as you mention.

That is why I asked him to expand on that,to which he has thus far declined.

I stand by my pov that Smithfield is a non-starter.Local knowledge can go a long way.
ComPurch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2018, 12:16 AM   #144
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 546

Interesting debate but is there more common ground here than both sides think. Gilbert is advocating the retention of those buildings of historic quality but in between there is definitely some awful dross which have popped up at some point post war only to fall derelict... I don't think anyone is disputing that.

What is key is to tie it all together by sensibly respecting the historical street pattern. The key alignments of Bradford St, Moseley St and Cheapside need to be extended into the main site. If you look at Brindley Place as an example it has a fine urban grain based around a grid pattern... much like Digbeth. The scale of the grid here on the wholesale site in Digbeth is larger but with that basic structure (mostly) followed it will provide structure with which a clean slate on the Wholesale market can be stitched into the surrounding areas.

Plenty of room to include.green space within this approach too as there is nothing to say that the grid would not include large green space s filling a.few squares created.

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!

BhamJim, Bear Would Ian, o'flaneurie liked this post
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 01:09 AM   #145
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2697

By what standard are we classing “historic quality” because there is about 10 listed buildings in the area. The rest aren’t protected and the approach Gilbert advocates would see some of the attractive buildings lost.

What I get from ComPurch, who will correct me if im wrong, is a sense of keeping what makes the area characterful already. That includes the factory uses adjacent to Digbeth Dining Club, but an acceptance that the factory use cannot remain the same metal bashing factory but instead producing something compaitable with its new direction. That is the point he is making with the markets and frankly there is no respason why such an approach could not be followed and spread to other existing uses in the area.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

ComPurch liked this post
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 10:58 AM   #146
Guilbert53
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2907

Append removed

BhamJim, Brum X liked this post

Last edited by Guilbert53; February 16th, 2019 at 08:32 PM.
Guilbert53 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 11:50 AM   #147
daumal

Likes (Received): 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComPurch View Post
I stand by my pov that Smithfield is a non-starter.Local knowledge can go a long way.
Any chance you could expand on this (perhaps in the relevant thread)? Do you mean that you don't like the masterplan, or that you don't think it will come together as planned?
daumal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 12:11 PM   #148
BhamJim

Likes (Received): 879

It strikes me that the markets need to remain in their current location (or in the vicinity) whilst not being a barrier as Guilbert (correctly IMO) points out.

One for the town planners to solve, but surely it's not too difficult? expanding the city centre into Smithfield, maintaining the markets, and including a pleasant thoroughfare and flow of people should be beneficial to all, and indeed another potential jewel in Brum's crown. Its a nice problem to have I think, the opportunity here is amazing.
BhamJim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 12:21 PM   #149
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14699

Shall we take this topic into the Smithfield thread???
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 01:55 PM   #150
Guilbert53
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2907

Append removed

Last edited by Guilbert53; February 16th, 2019 at 09:14 AM.
Guilbert53 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 10:09 PM   #151
lbrown

Likes (Received): 64

News is this job is dead - the developer hasn't got the cash to do it. The contractor will be pulling off site soon.
lbrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 10:52 PM   #152
Kingsheathen
Kingsheathen

Likes (Received): 2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown View Post
News is this job is dead - the developer hasn't got the cash to do it. The contractor will be pulling off site soon.

Oh no! What a disaster! This scheme would have had a very positive effect on this area.

RalphGuy liked this post
Kingsheathen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 10:57 PM   #153
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17521

Lets hope it is just a blip and works will continue.

Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 11:01 PM   #154
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 546

There was a.piling rig there this morning so somebody funded the foundations.

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!

Brum X, Kingsheathen liked this post

Last edited by Engels; May 21st, 2018 at 11:09 PM.
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 11:12 PM   #155
Brum X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engels View Post
There was a.piling rig there this morning so somebody funded the foundations.
Exactly
Old May 21st, 2018, 11:33 PM   #156
Force_alfa

Likes (Received): 515

Quote:
Where was this news from?, walked past at lunch and there were some workers were there today
Force_alfa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 12:00 AM   #157
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Quote:
You can't just drop a bomb like that without a source??

Kingsheathen, Brum X liked this post
Old May 22nd, 2018, 01:15 AM   #158
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Fresh app went was registered 2 weeks ago, 09th May.. Seems strange for a company with no money? Though they have changed the bricks for render on the forecourt elevations.

Quote:
Application Number 2018/03577/PA
Application Type Non Material Amendment
Site Address 42-45 Upper Dean Street Birmingham B5 4SG
Proposal Non Material Amendment to approval 2017/08752/PA to vary the materials to the rear elevations from brickwork to render.
https://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk/...m/Menus/PL.xml
Old May 22nd, 2018, 09:38 AM   #159
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2697

Seems like a cost saving measure if you ask me.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 10:26 AM   #160
Brum X

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Seems like a cost saving measure if you ask me.
But cost saving is one thing, just giving up on the development and going home is another.

Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement