Bromsgrove House | Bromsgrove Street | Student Accommodation/Retail | 8fl | Comp. - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects Completed projects in the West Midlands Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 20th, 2016, 02:16 PM   #61
BhamBadger

Likes (Received): 1600

I'm utterly unshocked.

I had a friend move to London, next door to a tube station. Spends his whole day complaining about people going to the tube station outside his window.

Get them lit up again, get us some good looking night time shots and maybe people will take our city more seriously if we look like we are open for business.

rotundazag, Brum X liked this post
BhamBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2016, 03:52 PM   #62
LocalVernacular
...you can call me LoVe.

Likes (Received): 924

In defence of the Sentinels residents, there was no lighting when they were built. When they were first illuminated there were complaints of light pollution and so the brightness was reduced (i believe).

In my experience it's more poor maintenance than complaints that are the problem - lighting schemes get installed and then forgotten about. The four blocks by Lee Bank Middleway have lighting on the roofs and to be fair it is maintained, however they wait until the majority of the lights have failed before repairing them. The costs have to come out of the residents service charges so you can't blame them for being 'efficient'

Back on topic, I had a look at the plans for this building and there is a ground floor commercial unit, earmarked for a bar/restaurant, which is good to see.
LocalVernacular no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 03:59 PM   #63
Pave.1
Gone

Likes (Received): 177

Not sure why anyone would want those awful tower blocks to be highlighted in the city. They don't need highlighting they need to be gone.
Pave.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2016, 05:56 PM   #64
ROYAL BLUE

Likes (Received): 1351

Not sure why someone would join 'Skyscrapercity' then advocate the removal of good, Tall, well designed buildings.

morestoreysplease, BABYCAKES liked this post
ROYAL BLUE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 10:43 PM   #65
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17528

So how long before a developer snaps up that large car park opposite this development.

Severn capital anyone ???
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 10:46 PM   #66
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17528

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalVernacular View Post
In defence of the Sentinels residents, there was no lighting when they were built. When they were first illuminated there were complaints of light pollution and so the brightness was reduced (i believe).

In my experience it's more poor maintenance than complaints that are the problem - lighting schemes get installed and then forgotten about. The four blocks by Lee Bank Middleway have lighting on the roofs and to be fair it is maintained, however they wait until the majority of the lights have failed before repairing them. The costs have to come out of the residents service charges so you can't blame them for being 'efficient'

Back on topic, I had a look at the plans for this building and there is a ground floor commercial unit, earmarked for a bar/restaurant, which is good to see.
Well the area may need a new convenience shop soon with all the development around here in the next few years. I can see a SPAR opening around here to compliment there Dean Street shop.
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 12:06 AM   #67
Pave.1
Gone

Likes (Received): 177

83-92 Bromsgrove St | Student Block | 8FL | U/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL BLUE View Post
Not sure why someone would join 'Skyscrapercity' then advocate the removal of good, Tall, well designed buildings.

Because they look abysmal and shackle the city to a reputation it's trying to shake perhaps

I appear to belong to a minority on this forum (and city) who value more than simply how high a building is
Pave.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 02:20 AM   #68
PerpetualBrum
💙 Birmingham #1

Likes (Received): 14831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave.1 View Post
Because they look abysmal and shackle the city to a reputation it's trying to shake perhaps

I appear to belong to a minority on this forum (and city) who value more than simply how high a building is
Yikes, these blocks sure do get a bashing. I wonder if it’s more than just what they look like, like some who hold that outdated image of an inner-city tower block, a sort of urban utopianism, a no-go area of high crime & unemployment, doleys lurking about with young mums walking their kid(s).

Agree or disagree on a tower blocks place in society, you can’t disregard how they've now come to be an uber-cool facet of inner city-living & are very much in demand with young professionals here and in other major cities. Look at the Barbican in London. Which is why I can't see the ones going behind the library any time soon either.

They’re prevalent in all major cities though man, not just Brum. Cov refurbed some of theirs, so have Manc. Cheap modernity in the clouds at the time. Londoners praised them, Glasgow built a city out of them. Look at their skyline and wince

The rooms in the Sentinels as I found out recently after meeting a mate are actually bigger than some apartments around town where you’d expect to pay two/three/four times the price. Some rooms go for £120k as someone pointed out. The place is a community in itself. How many live here, a thousand or two? A wrecking ball wouldn’t benefit Brum IMO

Just build a few new-build clusters around them, for example: The hotel/resi earmarked opp Radisson on the corner or the Pillo Hotel if it resurfaces could take the focus off it somewhat alongside Suffolk Queensway and give the area a much-needed lift (because it really does need a lift). Also build/refurbish all the way up Holloway Head and in time the gateway of the area will see radical change & then maybe sometime in the future, to appease some, the exterior could be "improved" somewhat.

There's life in them yet!

Also, I feel you'll love this, don't throw up looking at these
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=242812

PerpetualBrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 09:39 PM   #69
ROYAL BLUE

Likes (Received): 1351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave.1 View Post
Thats an Opinion, not a fact.

Also the clue is in the title of the Forum as to why we like Tall buildings.
ROYAL BLUE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 09:46 PM   #70
BhamBadger

Likes (Received): 1600

I hate tall buildings which are tall for the sake of it.

The sentinels for me represent a bygone age of urban utopianism, and I'd dread for us to lose that!

They're not objectively bad, they're clean and well maintained, and are decent quality inside. I'd rather have these culturing a good community, than a bland tower cultivating isolationism.
BhamBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 09:51 PM   #71
citywatcher01

Likes (Received): 530

I believe BT tower had complaints from people in north Birmingham !
citywatcher01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 09:53 PM   #72
BobB1

Likes (Received): 945

The Sentinels lighting scheme was turned off when Optima reduced the service charge, due to rent increases from the Government rent restructuring policy.

LocalVernacular liked this post
BobB1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 11:38 PM   #73
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2697

I think the lights went off way before then Bob lol.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 11:55 PM   #74
Kingsheathen
Kingsheathen

Likes (Received): 2114

I like the sentinels. I seriously considered buying an apartment in them in about 2004.
Kingsheathen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2016, 01:30 AM   #75
BobB1

Likes (Received): 945

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
I think the lights went off way before then Bob lol.
Rent restructuring began in 2002, the lights went off soon after.
BobB1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2016, 06:15 PM   #76
lammy82

Likes (Received): 271

I don't think anyone's posted this yet, but this development does have a name now: "Bromsgrove House".

Some background info from thebusinessdesk.com dated 7th September:
Quote:
A GROUND-BREAKING ceremony has been held at Bromsgrove Street, Birmingham as work began on a student accommodation scheme.

Bromsgrove House will add another 140 studios and apartments in Southside area of the city and is scheduled to be ready for the arrival of students ahead of the 2017-18 academic year.

John Tebbutt, managing director of developer Birmingham Properties Group, said: "This will be our third student development in as many years and we see continued strong demand from both UK and overseas students seeking very high quality accommodation that is located in desirable areas."

The ceremony was attended by representatives from BPG, Shaylor, DBK Limited and Glenn Howells Architects.

Brum X liked this post
lammy82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 05:42 PM   #77
Brummyboy92
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1582

Old October 4th, 2016, 11:11 PM   #78
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 2002

Gonna be a nice canyon st this.
Old October 4th, 2016, 11:18 PM   #79
PerpetualBrum
💙 Birmingham #1

Likes (Received): 14831

my thoughtfulness didn't last long

RalphGuy, StanfordOx, Brummagem liked this post
PerpetualBrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 11:23 PM   #80
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4696

Thanks for the piuctures folks.

What`s the crap two storey building next door? It`s going to spoil the street scene even more than it already is.
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement