GLASGOW | Central Station - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Skylines and Photography

Skylines and Photography Images and photography about buildings and cityscapes.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 27th, 2018, 02:43 AM   #1
EMArg

Likes (Received): 40813

GLASGOW | Central Station

Glasgow Central Station

Glasgow Central is the principal mainline rail terminus in Glasgow, Scotland. The station was opened by the Caledonian Railway on 1 August 1879 and is one of nineteen managed by Network Rail. It is the northern terminus of the West Coast Main Line (397 miles (640 km) north of London Euston), and for inter-city services between Glasgow and England. The other main city-centre railway station in Glasgow is Glasgow Queen Street.With just under 33 million passengers in 2017–18, Glasgow Central is the twelfth-busiest railway station in Britain, and the busiest in Scotland. According to Network Rail, over 38 million people use it annually, 80% of whom are passengers. The station is protected as a category A listed building. In Britain's 100 Best Railway Stations by Simon Jenkins, the station was one of only ten to be awarded five stars. In 2017 the station received a customer satisfaction score 95.2%, the highest in the UK.
(Source of Text)
EMArg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2018, 02:43 AM   #2
EMArg

Recent pics of the station:

Old December 27th, 2018, 02:44 AM   #3
EMArg

In HD:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2018, 10:11 AM   #4
Develo

Likes (Received): 1153

Beautiful station, in a beautiful city.

Rapidtransitman liked this post
Develo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 03:55 PM   #5
jamie1983

Likes (Received): 0

Hi All. I have recently began working as a retail manager in Glasgow Central Station. Given the substantial changes being made at Queen Street station. Does anyone know if there are any planned upgrades at Central Station? Whilst it is beautiful architecturally. I feel the following needs addressed.

1.The concourse flooring needs refreshed.
2.The retail units frontages look very tired. I think moving away from the traditional brown painted frontage would really lift the appearance.
3.The upgrade work they made a few years back to the union street entrance and basement section were poor choices and aren’t wearing well.
jamie1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 05:32 PM   #6
Rapidtransitman

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1983 View Post
Hi All. I have recently began working as a retail manager in Glasgow Central Station. Given the substantial changes being made at Queen Street station. Does anyone know if there are any planned upgrades at Central Station? Whilst it is beautiful architecturally. I feel the following needs addressed.

2.The retail units frontages look very tired. I think moving away from the traditional brown painted frontage would really lift the appearance.
I can't speak to the other upgrades you suggest, but I really like the brown wood panels (inside the station), they appear original and classic. Unless you are referring to the exterior.
Rapidtransitman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2019, 02:56 PM   #7
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 5882

The brown panels are the best part! Beautiful station and I hope they never change their image in that respect.

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement