MANCHESTER | Projects & Construction - Page 345 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2019, 10:04 PM   #6881
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 56364

Select Property Group
@OSelectProperty
·
Select Property.

Oct 10
Our latest residential project at Crown Street launches this Monday, 14th of October 🎉. Completion in 2020 means you won’t have to wait long for your returns to begin! Register today and get exclusive early access! http://bit.ly/2Vunsro #property #investment

Watch the short, but punchy video in HD. Red cog.

Pedro Mendes, GGJ16, WingTips, Lad, KlausDiggy liked this post
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2019, 09:18 PM   #6882
jrb
10th February 2008

John Sisk & Son
@SiskGroup
·
5h
Well done to all the @circlesquaremcr team for their recent efforts. The project is heading towards completion of the main structures and the envelopes to the building are progressing up the structures at a fast pace

https://mobile.twitter.com/SiskGroup
Old October 17th, 2019, 03:49 AM   #6883
mileymc1

Likes (Received): 3066

I'm not over enthusiastic about Circle Square but I appreciate the ambition and quality. The density is unbelievable, while profit the main goal but still having the city interest at heart. The amount of commercial, retail and residential is immense while still including a 120m tower and a decent size green open space. Some could say best of both worlds. Arguably, one of the biggest and most dense developments under construction within the country outside Gtr' LND.

This will be a game changer for Manchester. We'll see how things turn out, as of now. Less is more rings bells in my head. For vanity reasons and quality of life anyway...
mileymc1 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2019, 11:16 PM   #6884
WingTips

Likes (Received): 3128

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
Select Property Group
@OSelectProperty
·
Select Property.

Oct 10
Our latest residential project at Crown Street launches this Monday, 14th of October 🎉. Completion in 2020 means you won’t have to wait long for your returns to begin! Register today and get exclusive early access! http://bit.ly/2Vunsro #property #investment

Watch the short, but punchy video in HD. Red cog.

Once again Manchester delivers...Superb.

GGJ16, KlausDiggy, jrb, AbidM liked this post
WingTips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 12:53 PM   #6885
VDB
Strong and Stable

Likes (Received): 37954

20-36 High Street | Northern Quarter
Residential | City

Relevant thread: Click here

Basic information

• Nearest transport: Market Street

• Address: 20-36 High Street, M4

Detailed information
  • Architect: Fielden Clegg Bradley

• Number of storeys: 22

• Number of apartments: 361

• Ground floor commercial space: 12,000 sqft

• Developer: CEG

Plans for 20-36 High Street have been approved by Manchester City Council.

VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 04:17 PM   #6886
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 1738

That is one amazing building!
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 11:41 PM   #6887
jrb
10th February 2008

Cog, 1080p. Full screen on device.

Old October 18th, 2019, 11:57 PM   #6888
jrb
10th February 2008

New ID Manchester promotion video.

Lad liked this post
Old October 19th, 2019, 03:42 AM   #6889
mileymc1

Likes (Received): 3066

The Residence | Greengate
Residential | Salford

Relevant thread: Click here

Basic information
  • Nearest transport: Victoria
  • Address: Greengate, Salford M3 7NS
Detailed information
  • Architect: Jeffrey Bell, Falconer Chester Hall
  • Floors: 34
  • Height: 110 metres
  • Number of apartments: 303
  • Developer: Elliott Group

Gonna make a big impact this.

Old October 19th, 2019, 11:39 AM   #6890
gravesVpelli

Likes (Received): 5531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
That is one amazing building!
It reminds me of the stepped apartment blocks on New York's Central Park West - and that is saying something! Hope it goes ahead.
gravesVpelli está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2019, 03:11 PM   #6891
jrb
10th February 2008

The music is epic, but fitting.

Red cog, 720pHD, full screen on device.

JBGee liked this post
Old October 20th, 2019, 09:28 AM   #6892
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1725

I just came back from a business trip to Manchester - my second in recent months - and the volume of new construction in the centre is amazing. It seems as though half the city is either recently built or being built. Not all of the new architecture is good quality. There's too much bar code cladding for my taste, not least on the Deansgate Towers. But most of the new buildings improve the cityscape. It's also nice to see many of the grand old Victorian buildings have been given a good scrub. Manchester has some of the most intact Victorian streets anywhere. A notable difference from London is the relative lack of Georgian buildings.

As an occasional visitor, I wonder what occupied the central construction sites before? Were they low quality post war buildings, of the kind that have made way for so much of recent construction in central London? Or were they car parks and other 'dead' spaces? I suspect many are the latter. Central Manchester certainly feels far denser and more urban than before, and the zone that feels 'urban' and 'central' is rapidly expanding in area.

Also love the trams: 100km and still growing. It must be one of the largest tram networks in the world now. The city is booming in every way.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2019, 11:41 AM   #6893
jrb
10th February 2008

Video message and slight update from the 53two team. 10th of October.

Quote:
53two
@53two
Manchester's most versatile arts hub, Deansgate

https://mobile.twitter.com/53two?lang=en
Quote:
Taking over two grade II* listed arches on Watson Street alongside Manchester Gin's newly-opened distillery, bar and restaurant Three Little Words, the new venue will house a flexible performance space that can seat 150 people, with a standing capacity of 350.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...mpression=true

Berlin Manc liked this post
Old October 20th, 2019, 11:47 AM   #6894
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
I just came back from a business trip to Manchester - my second in recent months - and the volume of new construction in the centre is amazing. It seems as though half the city is either recently built or being built. Not all of the new architecture is good quality. There's too much bar code cladding for my taste, not least on the Deansgate Towers. But most of the new buildings improve the cityscape. It's also nice to see many of the grand old Victorian buildings have been given a good scrub. Manchester has some of the most intact Victorian streets anywhere. A notable difference from London is the relative lack of Georgian buildings.
Actually, I'm quite fond of Deansgate, I love the way the light changes them, but I know what you are saying. There are some great facades but a lot do tend to be in the lower cost area. That said, it's great all these empty spaces are being filled up. I just wish the council would also repair the pavements and resurface the roads.

Quote:
As an occasional visitor, I wonder what occupied the central construction sites before? Were they low quality post war buildings, of the kind that have made way for so much of recent construction in central London? Or were they car parks and other 'dead' spaces? I suspect many are the latter. Central Manchester certainly feels far denser and more urban than before, and the zone that feels 'urban' and 'central' is rapidly expanding in area.
When I arrived in Manchester, people referred to it as the "doughnut of desolation" or "ring of shit" - basically a circle around the city centre of dereliction. It was for the most part, surface car parks and empty, overgrown plots - a truely bizarre sight to see surrounding a city centre. Before that, there was a mix of medium density factories and housing and if that were not bulldozed, they could have been wonderful historical neighbourhoods today - though that is of course a personal perspective - others say that they had to be destroyed because they were all of poor quality... but who is to say eh.

It will be really nice when all of it has been developed in a decade or so. At the way we are going, we are building two highrise clusters, one in the north (Greengate area) and one in the south (Deansgate)

We also have other areas like Ancoats which started development a few years ago and is really nice now and Castlefield which is growing into another nice innercity neighbourhood.

Quote:
Also love the trams: 100km and still growing. It must be one of the largest tram networks in the world now. The city is booming in every way.
Nowhere near the biggest tram networks in the world. Last I checked it didn't make it into the top 20. Also, many of those cities with bigger tram networks also have a proper metro system or heavy rail network and many of them fully integrated ticketing.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad we have Metrolink. I use it everyday. But it's the only system in the city that is usable and it's no a metro.

Glad you enjoyed coming to our city and yeah, it is growing and improving. It's changing so fast you can come back in a year or two and it will look different and have even more things to do.
Old October 20th, 2019, 11:54 AM   #6895
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:

Those are very honest and positive comments, Langur. Glad you enjoyed your trip to Manchester.

Below the 2 picture’s is a link to the ‘Old Manchester’ thread. It’s 38 pages long now. It you have time, it’s worth scrolling through the thread. It contains many old picture’s of the city and the city centre, including many aerial picture’s of the city centre, which give a very good snap shot of what the city centre looked liked, and how it’s changed over time. Sadly many of the grand Victorian buildings have been lost due to the German bombing of Manchester, but also due to Manchester’s short sighted councils, planning officers, and property developers.

Quote:
Apologies. Lost the link again. I’ll start screen grabbing them if I don’t have time to post the picture and link.

100%, it stated 1949.

Enlarged the picture via the iPad.

London Road, Piccadilly Gardens, Market Street (Debenhams marker), and you can see the labyrinth of low rise buildings that were all demolished to make way for the Arndale Centre.

Many of Manchester’s Victorian buildings were still standing after the 2nd World War. And had survived the German bombing of the city.

Old Manchester thread.

Last edited by jrb; October 20th, 2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old October 20th, 2019, 12:55 PM   #6896
jrb
10th February 2008

Ancoats on the edge of the city centre and it’s made up of Victorian Miles and buildings. It was once Manchester’s (city centre) Industrial district. Now most of the Victorian Mills have been redeveloped in apartments and offices, and Ancoats is now full of bars, restaurants, indie shops, etc.

An old aerial picture of Ancoats. An it’s retail park, as it was known, has been demolished, and the land is now owned by the city council and ADUG, who own Manchester City Football club. The whole site is going to be redeveloped into housing, apartments, retail, a park, etc. The land behind the retail park has already be redeveloped into a primary school, apartments, etc.

A history of Ancoats. 111 pages. PDF.

Quote:
Ancoats ... is to Manchester what Manchester is to England’
Morning Chronicle, 21 December 1849

https://historicengland.org.uk/image...coats/ancoats/
Pictures by Slow Burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Burn View Post
Ancoats

DSC03967 by ofhklnve60, on Flickr

DSC03968 by ofhklnve60, on Flickr

DSC03971 by ofhklnve60, on Flickr
Ancoats, Twitter.

This area is New Islington, which is next to Ancoats

Quote:
Visit Manchester
@visit_mcr
·
18 Oct
Ancoats #Manchester, 1970s vs Today ❤️��

Old October 20th, 2019, 03:50 PM   #6897
wakka12

Likes (Received): 4230

Yeh the regeneration efforts are truly impressive. I only started following this thread closely over the last few months and only recently realised how extensive the ongoing developments are, its literally like the whole city has been reconstructed in the space of a decade.I cant really think of any other examples in mainland europe on par with in terms of scale of investment. I cant wait to go and visit it sometime soon

Some of the losses to the cityscape during the late 20th century for buildings like the arndale are hard to stomach but Manchester still has more than enough old buildings to make it a very charactered,interesting and unique urban area

jrb, aqeembayor, VDB liked this post

Last edited by wakka12; October 20th, 2019 at 04:00 PM.
wakka12 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 04:39 PM   #6898
MatthewDalrymple

Likes (Received): 18950

Deansgate Square and Elizabeth Tower & Victoria Residence.

MatthewDalrymple no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 07:29 PM   #6899
jrb
10th February 2008

About 20 minutes ago.

Done another Monthly roundup, but this time from the Salford side of the city centre, plus some car parks, and some new vantage points.Will try and post the pictures tomorrow if I have time?

Mobile phone camera.

mileymc1, Ingenioren liked this post
Old October 23rd, 2019, 05:57 PM   #6900
jrb
10th February 2008

I'm Lovin' It.

Heading towards town on the 192 Bus along Stockport Road/the A6.

Circle Square.

Berlin Manc, GGJ16, Pedro Mendes liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
manchester