BRISBANE: General public transport thread - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 10th, 2010, 02:47 AM   #61
yuma

Likes (Received): 7

I used to always take the Citycat to Uni If I didnt have anything else on, it was such a good way to get there.
yuma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #62
Fyver

Likes (Received): 751

I'd probably prefer to take the cat home, rather than to work.

On another note, the amount of buses I get in the morning that smell of cigerettes is growing. It's not a pleasant smell for 45mins.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are not those of my employer, its subsidiaries, clients and partners, not necessarily mine, probably not necessary, and don't intentionally mean to kill the fun.
Fyver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #63
fish.01

Likes (Received): 694

I imagine the new express citycats from Bulimba are as quick as/quicker than the buses. Granted this is the exception to the rule.
fish.01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #64
Heidewitzka

Likes (Received): 15

how is that:

http://www.fastcompany.com/1648672/r...-more-friendly
Heidewitzka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 01:51 AM   #65
yuma

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish.01 View Post
I imagine the new express citycats from Bulimba are as quick as/quicker than the buses. Granted this is the exception to the rule.
I doubt it, catch the cross river ferry then hop on the Cityglider. If it was the old 199 I may have agreed with you, but the Cityglider is quick as.
yuma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #66
fish.01

Likes (Received): 694

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuma View Post
I doubt it, catch the cross river ferry then hop on the Cityglider. If it was the old 199 I may have agreed with you, but the Cityglider is quick as.
That's cheating.
fish.01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:41 AM   #67
brisbanite

Likes (Received): 684

Does anyone know if QR are running more steam trains for training, as I've heard 2 in the past 3 days go past my area?
brisbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #68
nikko
Registered Yooser

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisbanite View Post
Does anyone know if QR are running more steam trains for training, as I've heard 2 in the past 3 days go past my area?
Yep, they ran until today.

Pics by QGT from RailBoT here.
Old May 21st, 2010, 01:40 AM   #69
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

Likes (Received): 0

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=324817

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=324804

"The scope of Zero Harm for Queensland Rail does not incorporate external stakeholders." - Anonymous

This reply is intended to provide general information only, without taking into account any member's personal circumstances.
MichaelJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #70
TOCC

Likes (Received): 2781

The Springfield line will be fastracked for completion in 2013, from currently 2015,should here about it in the latest budget
TOCC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #71
BrizzyChris

Likes (Received): 1252

What a nice bit of government spin. This project is now apparently "fast-tracked", despite being 2 yrs behind the original timeframe.

Budget plans to fast track rail line to Springfield
TONY MOORE
June 7, 2010 - 6:28AM
Article

The state government will fast track a new train line to Springfield in the wake of its recent announcement that nearby Ripley would be one of three new "cities" in south-east Queensland.

brisbanetimes.com.au can reveal the new rail line from Richlands train station, west to Springfield, will be fast-tracked to be completed in 2013, two years ahead of its planned 2015 completion date.

The plan will be contained in tomorrow's State Budget and follows Premier Anna Bligh's announcement last month that three new population centres would be constructed in the south-east corner.

"We're going to work with those councils in Logan and in Ipswich, with the Urban Land Development Authority using its powers to bring forward the planning approvals and bring these projects to the market much sooner than the councils could," Ms Bligh said last month.

The first stage of the Darra to Springfield Transport Corridor will allow the Centenary Highway to be widened from two lanes to four lanes from Darra through to the Logan Motorway.

That project will also include a new 3.6 kilometre rail line from Darra, over the Ipswich Motorway, to a new train station being built at Richlands.

The state government plans to have the project's $800 million first stage, where the rail line reaches Richlands, completed by 2011 and the four-lane Centenary Highway to reach the Logan Interchange by late this year.

However, the first stage is already 80 per cent complete and five months of rail work started last month.

Stage two will extend the rail line to Richlands and the Centenary Highway widening to Springfield.

brisbanetimes.com.au understands negotiations are underway to bring the project's completion date forward by two years to 2013.

"That would be sensible speculation," a government source confirmed on Friday.

Public transport lobby group Rail Back on Track spokesman Robert Dow said it made economic sense to bring forward the project, given stage one of the project was 80 per cent complete.

"Construction to Richlands is ahead of schedule and it would make sound economic sense to continue with the present construction force," Mr Dow said.

"Stopping and starting is very expensive."

Queensland Rail plans to build a single rail track from Richlands to Springfield, but Mr Dow called for a dual line track.

"We think that it should be double-tracked all the way to Springfield, mainly in view of the Ripley Valley announcement," he said.

Mr Dow said new stations should be built at Ellen Grove and Springfield Lakes while the project team was in place, rather than retro-fitting rail stations.

He said the experience of the Gold Coast rail line, where a second rail line was now being added, proved the folly of not building suitable rail infrastructure in the first place.

The Gold Coast rail line was closed in 1964, but was re-opened with new stations built at Helensvale in 1996, Nerang (1997), Robina (1998) and Varsity Lakes last year.

In the past five years, the state government has been forced to double the number of tracks between Ormeau and Coomera and from Helensvale to Robina at substantial cost.
BrizzyChris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 07:08 AM   #72
Marty_

Likes (Received): 276

A bit like various improvements they've made on other projects. For example, reducing the number of lanes in the Gateway Upgrade, then announcing "cost savings" and an "improvement" on the design by reinstating some (but not all) of the lost lanes a few months later. Result: not as good as the original design, but they got some political brownie points out of it.

Unbelieveable.
Marty_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #73
joninbrisbane
The Delivery Guy

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:

The Gold Coast rail line was closed in 1964, but was re-opened with new stations built at Helensvale in 1996, Nerang (1997), Robina (1998) and Varsity Lakes last year.
Of course he omits that the old alignment was terrible.
joninbrisbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #74
SM247
Citadis Rider

TTA has recently released this:

http://download.translink.com.au/abo...etworkplan.pdf

It now appears they are going to be using some of that fare-grab to focus on developing an Adelaidean Go-Zone type structure to fill in a lot of the holes in decent coverage in SEQ. Seems there will be 15min minimum CityCat headways and expanded off-peak rail frequencies coming too. (It would be nice to think Richlands and the rest of the Springfield line will never have to endure a 30min frequency during daylight hours.)

Virtually no specific details, so I expect there is more to come, consistent with previous releases of the TNP which were much more substantial. Almost makes me forgive them for the consistent restructuring botch-jobs they have implemented down here on the Gold Coast (mainly because of funding excuses).

Part of me thinks they have been reading some of ACTION's recent network planning philosophy by abandoning nebulous concepts like 'feeder' and 'trunk' and developing a network of :
- Useful, direct, frequent routes
- Coverage type routes which are less frequent and popular (ie draw more funding in proportion to cost recovery, but operate just short of throwing these areas to the wolves altogether)
- Peak hour routes ('rockets' in Bris-speak) which have a limited effect in stimulating system-wide patronage and should be of lower focus, but which have a significant, 'faithful' market
- Regional routes

Last edited by SM247; June 17th, 2010 at 03:26 PM.
SM247 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #75
SM247
Citadis Rider

I've found this just now, which illustrates some of the concepts which TTA has picked up for its HFP plans:

http://ses.library.usyd.edu.au/bitst...us-Service.pdf
Old June 18th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #76
Gazza2

Likes (Received): 179

Quote:
(It would be nice to think Richlands and the rest of the Springfield line will never have to endure a 30min frequency during daylight hours.)
Is it actually known yet how the new line will be incorporated?

Is it going to work as a sort of extension of the Shorncliffe-Corinda service:
-Richlands would get 2tph,
-Ipswich 2tph,
-Darra to Roma St section therefore getting 4tph

(This is all assuming they don't bother to bump up frequencies)

Or will the Ipswich line get a two tiered service?
-Richlands to Roma St would stop all stations
-Ipswich to Darra would stop all stations, then run semi express to Roma St.
Gazza2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 02:35 AM   #77
BrizzyChris

Likes (Received): 1252

There should be both an express and local service to Ipswich. And an all stations service to/from Richlands.
BrizzyChris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 02:56 AM   #78
SM247
Citadis Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza2 View Post
Is it actually known yet how the new line will be incorporated?
Nothing publicised yet, but it is popularly assumed that Richlands will just be served by extending all Corinda and Darra terminators there with a few extra peak hour services.

That would involve Shorncliffe trains no longer travelling to South Bank on weekends. Darra - > City would then have 15m frequencies round the clock 7 days a week, rather than only on weekdays until about 7pm.

Thornlie style operation would be good with 4 locals to Richlands and 4 expresses to Ipswich per hour, but this would depend on them doing something a bit more than just opening a new spur.

A more detailed long-term SEQ rail strategy is due to be released shortly as part of Connecting SEQ 2031 (the long range integrated regional transport plan which will work with the TransLink Network Plan and the South-East Queensland Regional Plan). I have seen indications from briefing slides that they are looking at introducing suburban expresses and metro-style operation on the inner network in the long term. It seems serious thought may also be given to use of the Trouts Road corridor for rail (don't know how that squares with the Western Brisbane Transport Network Strategy, which doesn't mention this) and use of the SG corridor to Flagstone.

The next thing to keep an eye out for is the Queensland Infrastructure Plan, which will be a state-wide version of SEQIPP to replace the existing infrastructure delivery programs.
Old June 19th, 2010, 07:19 AM   #79
Gazza2

Likes (Received): 179

I figured that extending Shorncliffe through to Richlands would be the likely option, given that's the only line that isn't paired with another one across town.

Quote:
. It seems serious thought may also be given to use of the Trouts Road corridor for rail (don't know how that squares with the Western Brisbane Transport Network Strategy, which doesn't mention this) and use of the SG corridor to Flagstone.
The W.B.T.N.S did make a passing reference to the possibility of it being used for rail to link up with the Caboolture line at the northern end (But it also mentioned busway, road etc as other options, but they basically said they plan to leave it as is for the time being)
I really do hope the Trouts road route gets off the ground. It would serve a pretty large area of Brisbane that currently lacks a heavy trunk type route (I guess I should start calling them HFPs lol), plus it means more track capacity for when CAMCOS comes online. The corridor is wide enough for a Perth style road/rail arrangement anyway, so there's no excuse.

I have some hope for the use of the SG coridoor too. Notice that the study area (For track improvements etc) for Cross River Rail goes as far south as Salisbury, so hopefully they are thinking about how the SG line will link in.

I also really do hope that once cross river rail is done that they do step on the accelerator in terms of getting these lines done .
I'm guessing the reason recent extensions have been piddling 4km things like Varsity Lakes & Richlands is because they didn't want to risk a surge of passengers overwhelming the CBD.
However, once the CBD gets sorted I see no reason why we can't start doing network expansion Perth-Mandurah style.
Gazza2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #80
joninbrisbane
The Delivery Guy

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza2 View Post
I have some hope for the use of the SG coridoor too. Notice that the study area (For track improvements etc) for Cross River Rail goes as far south as Salisbury, so hopefully they are thinking about how the SG line will link in.
I'm fairly certain not too long ago the gov't decided they would not run passenger services on that railway.
joninbrisbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
brisbane, busway, ferry, maglev bus to caboolture, mandurahboyz, queensland, rail, trains, transport, underground