Bus Lines in The Philippines - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure

Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure » Airports and Aviation | Railways | Highways and Roadways | Maritime | Urban Planning

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 23rd, 2005, 05:29 AM   #101
sandrin

Likes (Received): 11

Please let's forget about buses for a moment and think of ways to decongest the traffic. I'm so excited about the Pasig Ferry. I hope it will be up and running before the year ends. The cheapest and safest means of transportation is by ship. Aside from the fact the it's less polluting, it will also decongest highway traffic. The second most efficient is by train. We used to have the best UK-designed railways in SEA that connected Luzon all the way up to Baguio and the Eastern Bicol Region. Too bad the system deteriorated and was later on abandoned. I guess the officials learned their lessons and now see things clearly, like a splash of cold water.

Imagine.... taking a Ferry Ride by sun down to Laguna lake after a hard days work will definitely feel calming and relaxing especially when the summer breeze cools you down. Just be sure to stay inside during the rainy season.
sandrin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2005, 05:54 AM   #102
stephencua
resident web developer

Likes (Received): 1

cant wait to see the ferries!!!

hope that the project succeeds!
stephencua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 05:57 AM   #103
pau_p1
Proud to be Filipino

Likes (Received): 1038

wow revival of the Pasig River Ferries... now that's a good development and I hope this will be successful..... anyways.... this should have been made as a separate thread to the Buses...
pau_p1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2005, 07:32 AM   #104
renell
Here Since 2002

Likes (Received): 10

Indeed, time for a transportation thread, or if there is one bump it up.

But since sandrin has post it, I'd like to say that ferries, like double decker buses hits two birds with one stone. You give the tourists something to move around MM with (Rockwell to Intrams, etc. etc. ) and the Manilenos etc. can now go from one end of the Pasig to another without plying the roads.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:12 AM   #105
naughtyins0mniac

Likes (Received): 3

buhbye heavy metro-traffic.. hello alternatives.
naughtyins0mniac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 01:12 PM   #106
bustero

Likes (Received): 18

Hopefully the new ferries will survive unlike the last one which went bankrupt. Something about many people not wanting to pay enough for the service specially when they get seasick in the rain.

The CNG busses will be running to Calabar zone initially. I'm very sure there will be no EDSA or inner MetroManila buses using this until the pipeline is built from SPEX Batangas. While Nat. Gas is the prince of fossil fuels in terms of expense and cleanliness It'll take time to build the infrastructure to distribute Nat. Gas which is a not an easy fuel to transport. Most of the infrastructure in the states and Japan which uses a lot of this is through pipelines, the current pipe to pandacan accomodates liquid white products and not gases.

LPG is another matter if they legislate the utilities to use it as in Hong Kong.
bustero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 01:23 PM   #107
sandrin

Likes (Received): 11

The new ferries will be air-conditioned complete with stations, restaurant, security scanner, a restaurant, tv, and bathroom.
sandrin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2005, 01:07 AM   #108
ThisFire

Likes (Received): 0

The ferry will be groundbreaking. They should really make this happen and develop it into what we've been talking about like:

- a method of city transportation for citizens and tourists
- develop the ferry into something like what cities around the world have where there's ferry service that's also an attraction and the surroundings are developed and maintained to make all the places a big attraction site like the ferry/river routes in Mexico City, Baguio and San Antonio, Texas, USA.

but also for the ferry to be a way to reduce pollution by being a way of easing the traffic.

This is the "Buses for Metro Manila" thread so it's funny how this topic came up suddenly. And I mentioned earlier about Manila having a real bus line with first rate buses and fare and routes/stops, it really should happen just like how the major cities of the world (ie. London, Tokyo, etc) have their own line that's linked with the subway system.

ThisFire
ThisFire no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:55 AM   #109
renell
Here Since 2002

Likes (Received): 10

Doesn't the major stations in our mass rail system already have intermodal stops for jeepneys and buses? There are some benefits in having multiple bus operators, as opposed to one big one. I guess the price varies, and they cannot just raise their prices without fear of losing passengers to the competition. I reckon there should be some limit to how many buses an operator can use in a route, if that hasn't been regulated yet. Or a single type of buses, except with different operators (natural gas-powered ones for all, different liveries and colours)

Baguio had ferry river routes? I didn't see no large masses of water in Baguio, except for Burnham Park's man-made lake
Old February 24th, 2005, 07:23 AM   #110
bagel
Member, Winifred Fan Club

Likes (Received): 55

Manila, pre-WWII had a pretty well-developed water transport system. Not only did boats ply the Pasig, but there was actually a network of canals, a la Venice, throughout the city. If you read old novels like Rizal's works, you get a sense that merchants plied the city's canals to sell their wares on floating markets.

I am the original thread killer.
bagel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2005, 03:06 PM   #111
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 30

Please stay in-topic regarding the new buses. Renell made a thread on water transportation already.

So initially, the CNG buses will operate to Calabarzon...will they later introduce MM (especially EDSA) inner city routes to replace existing buses?
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 04:59 AM   #112
olineil
zerocool

Likes (Received): 27

Replacing our old buses is a very good news...
But we are missing the point, that our government doesnt enact a law to control the number of operators we are still gonna end-up congesting the place. Most operators right now in MM are I could say small time...I say this beacuse all of them just buys all those converted 2nd-Hand Buses from Japan and just barely having enough earnigs to properly maintain their buses. If the government controls the licensing of operators, each operator will have a sizable area to operate, enough for them to have proper income, then chances are they are gonna make their bus drivers salary based instead of Boundary based income. As a result the bus drivers wont be acting like maniacs on the streets coz they dont have to fight off competition on the streets just to eat for the day. (Singapore system is this way, thats why u will see bus drivers here are very much behaved. But dont get me wrong they do have a time limit to reach the Bus interchange point where they need to terminate and return to the original bus interchange where it came from, this way the drivers cannot abuse the system that they will just sit it out somewhere and have salary for the month.)

My Worship Music Blog
| My Design Blog Site | BRT on FaceBook

Sail Away! | Legazpi City || WoWLegazpi.com
olineil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #113
jbkayaker12
BANNED

Likes (Received): 39

Atienza should start a tour bus of sorts plying the Roxas Blvd area and around the reclaimed lands of Manila bay. An open air double decker bus would do. By the way I like the extended golf carts that seat around 8 - 10 people plying the baywalk area. For 20 pesos you can have a ride up and down the boardwalk. I did this and took some movies to show to my sisters. Fun ride.
jbkayaker12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 03:10 PM   #114
normandb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbkayaker12
Atienza should start a tour bus of sorts plying the Roxas Blvd area and around the reclaimed lands of Manila bay. An open air double decker bus would do. By the way I like the extended golf carts that seat around 8 - 10 people plying the baywalk area. For 20 pesos you can have a ride up and down the boardwalk. I did this and took some movies to show to my sisters. Fun ride.
it was the year 1987 when i first ride the double decker buses of Manila and it was in luneta, sana ibalik nila ulit yon, kaya lang sobra air pollution ngayon compare dati kaya open yong deck ng double decker buses noon.
normandb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 06:07 PM   #115
JudeD

Likes (Received): 226

But the City of Manila itself doesn't have a lot of reclaimed land. Most of the reclaimed areas we're talking about are in Pasay and Paranaque where Atienza doesn't have any authority. So it ought to be an inter-city project.
JudeD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 03:12 AM   #116
stephencua
resident web developer

i heard over the radio that there will be like 200 new buses that run on the alternative fuel that will be deployed sometime in the last quarter of this year.. i hope that it pushes through..

and then at the same time, the older buses that run on diesel will finally be put to rest..
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #117
thomasian

Likes (Received): 3859

You mean "Natural Gas" buses?
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:50 AM   #118
stephencua
resident web developer

yup i believe thats the one
Old April 6th, 2005, 11:15 AM   #119
thomasian

Likes (Received): 3859

good, we have lots of Natural Gas reserves here, so we better make use of them now that imported oil prices are rising.
Old April 6th, 2005, 11:23 AM   #120
jbkayaker12
BANNED

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasian
good, we have lots of Natural Gas reserves here, so we better make use of them now that imported oil prices are rising.
How much is a gallon of gas there na ba? Here I pay around $2.52/gallon for Chevron Plus. Ang taas lalo pang tataas siguro kasi summer time is coming up.

Ive heard the Philippines, China and Vietnam have plans of exploring natural gas and oil in the Spratly island chain.
jbkayaker12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement