Bad Drivers caught on tape - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #121
RDSA

Likes (Received): 122

the truck was way past the point of stopping safely.

Burden liked this post
RDSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #122
Morjo

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSA View Post
If he wiped off the 5 and did 60 like the limit apparently was then he may have had time to stop :P

The Mazda stopped him anyway

I understand trucks take longer to stop.
Morjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #123
crazyknightsfan
derp

Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Likes (Received): 2181

The limit is 70. He was quite reasonably doing 65 in a 70 zone approaching a green light with no vehicles in front of him. Nek minnet some moron whinging about the truck doing 10km/h under the speed limit

Burden liked this post
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #124
hornetfig

^ Indeed. Amber lights phases are calculated based on the speed limit precisely because it's not safe or even possible to just halt a heavy vehicle. If the truck's doing 65km/h and the limit is 70km/h then driver is already observing caution for a stale green.
hornetfig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #125
ajw373

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSA View Post
You are most correct the truck was past that point. However the point I raised above is the way people are meant to drive is when approaching lights they should be anticipating a change and be ready to stop safely when the amber goes. When I learnt to drive this was called exercising safety.

In this case there is no evidence of the truck having exercised any caution and as a result couldn't stop for the amber. More surprising considering the cargo of a $120k car.

That of course doesn't take away from the simple fact though the CX9 is absolutely at fault in this case with a very blatant red light run. It would be interesting to hear why.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #126
crazyknightsfan
derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
You are most correct the truck was past that point. However the point I raised above is the way people are meant to drive is when approaching lights they should be anticipating a change and be ready to stop safely when the amber goes. When I learnt to drive this was called exercising safety.
So you slow down to walking pace every time you go through a green light? If not, you're full of shit.

Burden, Citystyle liked this post
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #127
ajw373

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetfig View Post
^ Indeed. Amber lights phases are calculated based on the speed limit precisely because it's not safe or even possible to just halt a heavy vehicle. If the truck's doing 65km/h and the limit is 70km/h then driver is already observing caution for a stale green.
Crap, there is no way the truck was exercising any caution and the fact the lights, as you say are NOT timed for a heavy vehicle to stop confirms this rather than condones it. It is all the more reason why the truck should have been off the juice not ploughing on through.
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #128
crazyknightsfan
derp

Quote:
Crap, there is no way the truck was exercising any caution and the fact the lights, as you say are NOT timed for a heavy vehicle to stop confirms this rather than condones it. It is all the more reason why the truck should have been off the juice not ploughing on through.
What speed should he have been travelling then?
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #129
ajw373

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyknightsfan View Post
So you slow down to walking pace every time you go through a green light? If not, you're full of shit.
On approach to a light at normal stopping distance, which varies in the conditions I do as I was taught 25 years ago which is take the foot off the accelerator and put over but not on the brake. About 50m out I then commit to going through and power on back. If the lights change when my foot is off the juice I commit to stop. You don't need to be going walking pace, or even that much slower than the speed limit, just be ready and willing to stop as the law states.
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #130
ajw373

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyknightsfan View Post
What speed should he have been travelling then?
There is no given speed, what is bad driving is the fact that at no point on approach did he exercise any caution that would have allowed him to stop if the lights, as they did changed to amber. End result was he entered the intersection 2 to 2.5 seconds after amber and would have, if it not for him hitting the CX9 have still been going through on a red.
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #131
crazyknightsfan
derp

Quote:
On approach to a light at normal stopping distance, which varies in the conditions I do as I was taught 25 years ago which is take the foot off the accelerator and put over but not on the brake. About 50m out I then commit to going through and power on back. If the lights change when my foot is off the juice I commit to stop.
So pretty much what the driver did then, i.e. once he was beyond the point of stopping he continued through
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #132
Burden

ajw373 you should really familiarise yourself with operating a HR vechile, there is absolutely NO WAY that tow truck could of stopped in time. Do you think the Police should be find for this also?

Burden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #133
crazyknightsfan
derp

Should absolutely be fined.
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #134
Burden

Quote:
There is no given speed, what is bad driving is the fact that at no point on approach did he exercise any caution that would have allowed him to stop if the lights, as they did changed to amber. End result was he entered the intersection 2 to 2.5 seconds after amber and would have, if it not for him hitting the CX9 have still been going through on a red.
What a crock of shit, this really irates me.

He couldn't exercise caution... because he wouldn't be expecting a car to be entering a red light from the opposite direction, just entering the amber light because he wouldn't be able to stop in time!!
Burden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #135
crazyknightsfan
derp

Quote:
It's perfectly legal to exit an intersection after it has turned red, provided you enter while it was amber
Old August 14th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #136
ajw373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burden View Post
What a crock of shit, this really irates me.

He couldn't exercise caution... because he wouldn't be expecting a car to be entering a red light from the opposite direction, just entering the amber light because he wouldn't be able to stop in time!!
Exercising caution is being prepared for the lights to change and being prepared to stop on the amber.
Old August 14th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #137
ajw373

Quote:
ajw373 you should really familiarise yourself with operating a HR vechile, there is absolutely NO WAY that tow truck could of stopped in time. Do you think the Police should be find for this also?
You are missing the point. There was no way for him to stop because he wasn't exercising caution on approach to the lights. Driving a heavy vehicle where there are longer stopping distances involved is all the more reason to be doing it not an excuse for not doing it.

Should he be fined, no as mentioned several times above the CX9 is 100% in the wrong in this case, just making the point though the truck drivers actions are no better and driving like that in a different intersection on a different day may well result in him causing an accident and being in the wrong.

When I got my licence not exercising caution at lights would have resulted in points being deducted.

Morjo liked this post
Old August 14th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #138
hornetfig

Quote:
End result was he entered the intersection 2 to 2.5 seconds after amber
That's why the amber time is calculated like it is!

Note that being in a crossing on red isn't of itself an offence. Conversely "proceed through amber" is an offence. Drivers are expected to use their discretion and the police enforce at their discretion.
hornetfig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #139
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6971

Quote:

LOL!
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #140
crazyknightsfan
derp

Quote:
just making the point though the truck drivers actions are no better and driving like that in a different intersection on a different day may well result in him causing an accident and being in the wrong.
How could he possibly cause an accident and be in the wrong when proceeding straight through an intersection on the green or amber?

Burden liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz