Bad Drivers caught on tape - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old August 13th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #121
RDSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 365
Likes (Received): 122

the truck was way past the point of stopping safely.
__________________

Burden liked this post
RDSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #122
Morjo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,035
Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSA View Post
the truck was way past the point of stopping safely.
If he wiped off the 5 and did 60 like the limit apparently was then he may have had time to stop :P

The Mazda stopped him anyway

I understand trucks take longer to stop.
Morjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #123
crazyknightsfan
derp
 
crazyknightsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Posts: 10,274
Likes (Received): 2181

The limit is 70. He was quite reasonably doing 65 in a 70 zone approaching a green light with no vehicles in front of him. Nek minnet some moron whinging about the truck doing 10km/h under the speed limit
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelby View Post
Oh didn't you see? Shuz posted another fascinating episode of "strangers that have emptied themselves inside me" in another thread.

Burden liked this post
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old August 13th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #124
hornetfig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sydney...
Posts: 4,792

^ Indeed. Amber lights phases are calculated based on the speed limit precisely because it's not safe or even possible to just halt a heavy vehicle. If the truck's doing 65km/h and the limit is 70km/h then driver is already observing caution for a stale green.
hornetfig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #125
ajw373
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,393
Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSA View Post
the truck was way past the point of stopping safely.
You are most correct the truck was past that point. However the point I raised above is the way people are meant to drive is when approaching lights they should be anticipating a change and be ready to stop safely when the amber goes. When I learnt to drive this was called exercising safety.

In this case there is no evidence of the truck having exercised any caution and as a result couldn't stop for the amber. More surprising considering the cargo of a $120k car.

That of course doesn't take away from the simple fact though the CX9 is absolutely at fault in this case with a very blatant red light run. It would be interesting to hear why.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #126
crazyknightsfan
derp
 
crazyknightsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Posts: 10,274
Likes (Received): 2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
You are most correct the truck was past that point. However the point I raised above is the way people are meant to drive is when approaching lights they should be anticipating a change and be ready to stop safely when the amber goes. When I learnt to drive this was called exercising safety.
So you slow down to walking pace every time you go through a green light? If not, you're full of shit.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelby View Post
Oh didn't you see? Shuz posted another fascinating episode of "strangers that have emptied themselves inside me" in another thread.

Burden, Citystyle liked this post
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #127
ajw373
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,393
Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetfig View Post
^ Indeed. Amber lights phases are calculated based on the speed limit precisely because it's not safe or even possible to just halt a heavy vehicle. If the truck's doing 65km/h and the limit is 70km/h then driver is already observing caution for a stale green.
Crap, there is no way the truck was exercising any caution and the fact the lights, as you say are NOT timed for a heavy vehicle to stop confirms this rather than condones it. It is all the more reason why the truck should have been off the juice not ploughing on through.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #128
crazyknightsfan
derp
 
crazyknightsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Posts: 10,274
Likes (Received): 2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
Crap, there is no way the truck was exercising any caution and the fact the lights, as you say are NOT timed for a heavy vehicle to stop confirms this rather than condones it. It is all the more reason why the truck should have been off the juice not ploughing on through.
What speed should he have been travelling then?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelby View Post
Oh didn't you see? Shuz posted another fascinating episode of "strangers that have emptied themselves inside me" in another thread.
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #129
ajw373
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,393
Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyknightsfan View Post
So you slow down to walking pace every time you go through a green light? If not, you're full of shit.
On approach to a light at normal stopping distance, which varies in the conditions I do as I was taught 25 years ago which is take the foot off the accelerator and put over but not on the brake. About 50m out I then commit to going through and power on back. If the lights change when my foot is off the juice I commit to stop. You don't need to be going walking pace, or even that much slower than the speed limit, just be ready and willing to stop as the law states.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #130
ajw373
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,393
Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyknightsfan View Post
What speed should he have been travelling then?
There is no given speed, what is bad driving is the fact that at no point on approach did he exercise any caution that would have allowed him to stop if the lights, as they did changed to amber. End result was he entered the intersection 2 to 2.5 seconds after amber and would have, if it not for him hitting the CX9 have still been going through on a red.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #131
crazyknightsfan
derp
 
crazyknightsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Posts: 10,274
Likes (Received): 2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
On approach to a light at normal stopping distance, which varies in the conditions I do as I was taught 25 years ago which is take the foot off the accelerator and put over but not on the brake. About 50m out I then commit to going through and power on back. If the lights change when my foot is off the juice I commit to stop.
So pretty much what the driver did then, i.e. once he was beyond the point of stopping he continued through
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelby View Post
Oh didn't you see? Shuz posted another fascinating episode of "strangers that have emptied themselves inside me" in another thread.
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #132
Burden
Registered User
 
Burden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 5,034

ajw373 you should really familiarise yourself with operating a HR vechile, there is absolutely NO WAY that tow truck could of stopped in time. Do you think the Police should be find for this also?

Burden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #133
crazyknightsfan
derp
 
crazyknightsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Posts: 10,274
Likes (Received): 2181

Should absolutely be fined.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelby View Post
Oh didn't you see? Shuz posted another fascinating episode of "strangers that have emptied themselves inside me" in another thread.
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #134
Burden
Registered User
 
Burden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 5,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
There is no given speed, what is bad driving is the fact that at no point on approach did he exercise any caution that would have allowed him to stop if the lights, as they did changed to amber. End result was he entered the intersection 2 to 2.5 seconds after amber and would have, if it not for him hitting the CX9 have still been going through on a red.
What a crock of shit, this really irates me.

He couldn't exercise caution... because he wouldn't be expecting a car to be entering a red light from the opposite direction, just entering the amber light because he wouldn't be able to stop in time!!
Burden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #135
crazyknightsfan
derp
 
crazyknightsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Posts: 10,274
Likes (Received): 2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
There is no given speed, what is bad driving is the fact that at no point on approach did he exercise any caution that would have allowed him to stop if the lights, as they did changed to amber. End result was he entered the intersection 2 to 2.5 seconds after amber and would have, if it not for him hitting the CX9 have still been going through on a red.
It's perfectly legal to exit an intersection after it has turned red, provided you enter while it was amber
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelby View Post
Oh didn't you see? Shuz posted another fascinating episode of "strangers that have emptied themselves inside me" in another thread.
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #136
ajw373
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,393
Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burden View Post
What a crock of shit, this really irates me.

He couldn't exercise caution... because he wouldn't be expecting a car to be entering a red light from the opposite direction, just entering the amber light because he wouldn't be able to stop in time!!
Exercising caution is being prepared for the lights to change and being prepared to stop on the amber.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #137
ajw373
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,393
Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burden View Post
ajw373 you should really familiarise yourself with operating a HR vechile, there is absolutely NO WAY that tow truck could of stopped in time. Do you think the Police should be find for this also?
You are missing the point. There was no way for him to stop because he wasn't exercising caution on approach to the lights. Driving a heavy vehicle where there are longer stopping distances involved is all the more reason to be doing it not an excuse for not doing it.

Should he be fined, no as mentioned several times above the CX9 is 100% in the wrong in this case, just making the point though the truck drivers actions are no better and driving like that in a different intersection on a different day may well result in him causing an accident and being in the wrong.

When I got my licence not exercising caution at lights would have resulted in points being deducted.
__________________

Morjo liked this post
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #138
hornetfig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sydney...
Posts: 4,792

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
End result was he entered the intersection 2 to 2.5 seconds after amber
That's why the amber time is calculated like it is!

Note that being in a crossing on red isn't of itself an offence. Conversely "proceed through amber" is an offence. Drivers are expected to use their discretion and the police enforce at their discretion.
hornetfig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #139
Dimethyltryptamine
Registered User
 
Dimethyltryptamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 13,049
Likes (Received): 6971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burden View Post
ajw373 you should really familiarise yourself with operating a HR vechile, there is absolutely NO WAY that tow truck could of stopped in time. Do you think the Police should be find for this also?

LOL!
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #140
crazyknightsfan
derp
 
crazyknightsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Posts: 10,274
Likes (Received): 2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
just making the point though the truck drivers actions are no better and driving like that in a different intersection on a different day may well result in him causing an accident and being in the wrong.
How could he possibly cause an accident and be in the wrong when proceeding straight through an intersection on the green or amber?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelby View Post
Oh didn't you see? Shuz posted another fascinating episode of "strangers that have emptied themselves inside me" in another thread.

Burden liked this post
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Tags
mandurahboyz

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us