Saltwell and Bensham Housing Regeneration | Gateshead | Various | U/C - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old April 21st, 2014, 07:09 PM   #101
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 3910

History of the development of housing in Bensham & Saltwell areas of Gateshead

These 2 scanned copies of an article by Shirley Brown, "A Man's Home is his Castle" as included on page 10 of BASE (Bensham & Saltwell Express) Spring 2014, Issue 5 from www.ourgateshead.org/BASE that arrived through the door in recent days

Includes a lot about "Tyneside Flats"

Issue 5 not yet available on their website when checked on 21/04/14 PM

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

GBDT liked this post
Ken O'Heed está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2014, 12:12 PM   #102
Ken O'Heed

Demolition Westminster Street (upper), part of new housing Phase 3 (Hyde Park) & Lower part of Dunsmuir Grove (part of Phase 2), pictures 03/05/14

Follow up to my last post with progress pictures, #97 of 12/04/14

Work continues taking place in lower part of Dunsmuir Grove (terraces up from Saltwell Rd) - these pictures taken by myself Saturday 03/05/14 approx 1100 to show ongoing demolition/remediation process by O'Brien Demolition

Westminster St (upper, between Rectory Rd and Brighton Rd) north side - all of it now demolished, debris cleared away, topsoil imported and precast concrete kerbing provided

These pictures taken from mid point of street now that footpath has been reopened show current situation with rear elevations of Hyde Park St (south terrace) and Rectory Rd and Brighton Rd

Westminster St (upper, between Rectory Rd and Brighton Rd) south side

Dunsmuir Grove (south terrace, up from Saltwell Rd now having physical demolition at top)

On 26/04/14 looked

On 03/05/14 approx 1100 this activity by O'Brien machine

KEN
Old May 10th, 2014, 08:19 PM   #103
Ken O'Heed

Demolition Westminster Street (upper), part of new housing Phase 3 (Hyde Park) & Lower part of Dunsmuir Grove & Kelvin Grove (part of Phase 2), pictures 10/05/14, Part 1 of 2

Follow up to my last post with progress pictures, #102 of 04/05/14

Work continues taking place in lower part of Dunsmuir Grove (terraces up from Saltwell Rd) - these pictures (over 2 posts) taken by myself Saturday 10/05/14 approx 1415 to show ongoing demolition/remediation process by O'Brien Demolition

Westminster St (upper, between Rectory Rd and Brighton Rd) north side - all of it now demolished, debris cleared away, topsoil imported and precast concrete kerbing provided

These pictures taken from mid point of street now that footpath has been reopened show current situation with rear elevations of Hyde Park St (south terrace) and Rectory Rd and Brighton Rd

Dunsmuir Grove (not Westminster St as originally input) - demolition continues at top of south side terrace, north side terrace now having slate roof covering removed

Rear offshot and yard walls now demolished on rear of Dunsmuir Grove (not Westminster St as originally input) (south side) and Kelvin Grove (north side) terraces

More on following post

KEN

Last edited by Ken O'Heed; May 10th, 2014 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Correction to "Dunsmuir Grove)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #104
Ken O'Heed

Demolition Westminster Street (upper), part of new housing Phase 3 (Hyde Park) & Lower part of Dunsmuir Grove & Kelvin Grove (part of Phase 2), pictures 10/05/14, Part 2 of 2

Part 2 of 2

Follow up to my last post with progress pictures, #102 of 04/05/14

Work continues taking place in lower part of Dunsmuir Grove (terraces up from Saltwell Rd) - these pictures (over 2 posts) taken by myself Saturday 10/05/14 approx 1415 to show ongoing demolition/remediation process by O'Brien Demolition

Demolition of Dunsmuir Grove (not Westminster St as originally input) (north side terrace), up from Stirling House public house now taking place

Views of lower part of Dunsmuir Grove (not Westminster St as originally input), across Saltwell Rd, taken from Armstrong St

KEN

Last edited by Ken O'Heed; May 10th, 2014 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Correcting to "Dunsmuir Grove!"
Old May 10th, 2014, 09:16 PM   #105
alf stone

Likes (Received): 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post
Part 2 of 2

Demolition of Westminster St (north side terrace), up from Stirling House public house now taking place

KEN
Sorry to be pedantic, Ken but that is Dunsmuir Grove. Thanks for the pictures though, I was curious as how they would tackle the demolition of the house next to the Stirling.
alf stone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #106
Ken O'Heed

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf stone View Post
Sorry to be pedantic, Ken but that is Dunsmuir Grove. Thanks for the pictures though, I was curious as how they would tackle the demolition of the house next to the Stirling.
Thanks Alf

Error on my part - will correct

KEN
Old May 11th, 2014, 02:18 PM   #107
Waveydavy

Likes (Received): 9

Do we know when replacement housing will be built? Some of the old housing west of Saltwell Rd (Armstrong St?) was demolished ages ago but there's no sign of the new houses yet.
Waveydavy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:53 PM   #108
Ken O'Heed

Demolition Westminster Street (upper), part of new housing Phase 3 (Hyde Park) & Lower part of Dunsmuir Grove & Kelvin Grove (part of Phase 2), pictures 13/05/14, Part 1 of 3

Follow up to my last post with progress pictures, #103 & 104 of 10/05/14

Work continues taking place in lower part of Dunsmuir Grove (terraces up from Saltwell Rd) - these pictures (over 3 posts) taken by myself Tuesday 13/05/14 approx 1500 - 1515 to show ongoing demolition/remediation process by G O'Brien Demolition

Work to Dunsmuir Grove (section up from Saltwell Rd) where 2 machines in operation at time of visit, one of south side terrace, other in area between rear of south side terrace and Kelvin Grove

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ps79c26513.jpg

Looking up the area between rear of Dunsmuir Grove (south side terrace) and Kelvin Grove

More on following post

KEN
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #109
Ken O'Heed

Demolition Westminster Street (upper), part of new housing Phase 3 (Hyde Park) & Lower part of Dunsmuir Grove & Kelvin Grove (part of Phase 2), pictures 13/05/14, Part 2 of 3

Part 2 of 3

Work continues taking place in lower part of Dunsmuir Grove (terraces up from Saltwell Rd) - these pictures (over 3 posts) taken by myself Tuesday 13/05/14 approx 1500 - 1515 to show ongoing demolition/remediation process by G O'Brien Demolition

Bottom of Dunsmuir Grove, looking at north side terrace next to Stirling House, where it looks as if "new gable wall" will need to be constructed ( as normal GMBC fashion)

Further pictures top of Dunsmuir Grove showing demolition south side terrace

More on following post

KEN
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #110
Ken O'Heed

Demolition Westminster Street (upper), part of new housing Phase 3 (Hyde Park) & Lower part of Dunsmuir Grove & Kelvin Grove (part of Phase 2), pictures 13/05/14, Part 3 of 3

Part 3 of 3

KEN
Old May 21st, 2014, 05:10 PM   #111
Ken O'Heed

Demolition Westminster Street (upper), part of new housing Phase 3 (Hyde Park) & Lower part of Dunsmuir Grove, Kelvin Grove & Westminster St (part of Phase 2), pictures 21/05/14

Follow up to my last post with progress pictures, #108, 109 & 110 of 13/05/14

Noticed on my return from London area through northbound train window 20/05/14 approx 1530 that major part of Dunsmuir St (south side) had been demolished

Work continues taking place in lower part of Dunsmuir Grove and rear of lower part of Westminster St and Kelvin Grove (terraces up from Saltwell Rd) - these pictures (over 3 posts) taken by myself Wednesday 21/05/14 approx 0945 to show ongoing demolition process being carried out by G O'Brien Demolition

Rear Dunsmuir Grove (north side)/Westminster St

Dunsmuir Grove/rear of Kelvin Grove

Dunsmuir Grove looking east

Dunsmuir Grove (south side)

Dunsmuir Grove looking west

Dunsmuir Grove (north side)/Stirling House pub - new gable wall started

KEN

Last edited by Ken O'Heed; June 19th, 2014 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Correcting title & text - Westminster St not Hyde Park St
Old May 28th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #112
Ken O'Heed

Demolition Westminster Street (upper), part of new housing Phase 3 (Hyde Park) & Lower part of Dunsmuir Grove, Kelvin Grove & Westminster St (part of Phase 2), pictures 25/05/14

Follow up to my last post with progress pictures, #111 of 21/05/14

Work continues taking place in lower part of Dunsmuir Grove and rear of lower part of Hyde Park St and Kelvin Grove (terraces up from Saltwell Rd) - these pictures (over 3 posts) taken by myself Sunday 25/05/14 approx 1115 -1130 to show ongoing demolition process being carried out by G O'Brien Demolition

Rear Dunsmuir Grove (north side)/Hyde Park St

Bottom of Dunsmuir Grove south terrace

Dunsmuir Grove / rear Kelvin Grove

New gable wall continues to Stirling House pub

Judging by security fence now in place it seems that Kelvin Grove, lower north terrace is next for demolition

KEN

Last edited by Ken O'Heed; June 19th, 2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:45 PM   #113
Ken O'Heed

Demolition Westminster Street (upper), part of new housing Phase 3 (Hyde Park) & Lower part of Dunsmuir Grove, Kelvin Grove & Westminster St (part of Phase 2), pictures 02 & 03/06/14, Part 1 of 2

Follow up to my last post with progress pictures, #112 of 28/05/14

Work continues taking place in lower part of Dunsmuir Grove and rear of lower part of Westminster St and Kelvin Grove (terraces up from Saltwell Rd) - these pictures (over 2 posts) taken by myself Monday 02 and Tuesday 03/06/14 to show ongoing demolition process being carried out by G O'Brien Demolition

02/03/14 approx 1915

Kelvin Grove (lower terrace), north side where demolition has now taken place at top of street

Bottom properties of Dunsmuir Grove (south terrace) remain

Rear Dunsmuir Grove (north side)/Westminster St looking up the former back lane

More on following post

KEN

Last edited by Ken O'Heed; June 19th, 2014 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Correcting title & text - Westminster St not Hyde Park St
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:46 PM   #114
Ken O'Heed

Demolition Westminster Street (upper), part of new housing Phase 3 (Hyde Park) & Lower part of Dunsmuir Grove, Kelvin Grove & Westminster St (part of Phase 2), pictures 02 & 03/06/14, Part 2 of 2

Part 2 of 2

Work continues taking place in lower part of Dunsmuir Grove and rear of lower part of Westminster St and Kelvin Grove (terraces up from Saltwell Rd) - these pictures (over 2 posts) taken by myself Sunday 25/05/14 approx 1115 -1130 to show ongoing demolition process being carried out by G O'Brien Demolition

03/06/14 approx 1900

Status of Dunsmuir Grove (north side)

KEN

Last edited by Ken O'Heed; June 19th, 2014 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Correcting title and text - Westminster St instead of Hyde Park St
Old June 9th, 2014, 11:32 PM   #115
alf stone

I haven't been around there for a few days but they have been making good progress with demolishing the north side of Kelvin Grove:

DSCF1249 Kelvin Grove demolition by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF1250 Kelvin Grove demolition by alfred stone, on Flickr

I was going to have a closer look but bricks were raining down from roof level and exploding as they hit the ground at the base of the flimsy fencing and the dust was horrendous. Perhaps another day when I have a hard hat and dust mask.

Last edited by alf stone; July 9th, 2017 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Photobucket sabotage
Old June 13th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #116
Ken O'Heed

Demolition Westminster Street (upper), part of new housing Phase 3 (Hyde Park) & Lower part of Dunsmuir Grove, Kelvin Grove & Westminster St (part of Phase 2), pictures 13/06/14, Part 1 of 2

Further to my posts 113 & 114 of 03/06/14 and Alf Stone's post 115 of 09/06/14

Work continues taking place in lower part of Dunsmuir Grove and rear of lower part of Westminster St and Kelvin Grove (terraces up from Saltwell Rd) - these pictures (over 2 posts) taken by myself Friday 13/06/14 approx 0930 -0945 to show ongoing demolition process being carried out by G O'Brien Demolition

Status of Dunsmuir Grove (north side) only few properties remain at top

Dunsmuir Grove, with now rendered new gable wall to Stirling House pub

Dunsmuir Grove, (lower, south side) now all demolished

Former rear lane Dunsmuir Grove (north side) and Westminster St (lower, south side)

Westminster St (lower, south side) and Rawling Rd

More on following post

KEN
Old June 13th, 2014, 05:18 PM   #117
Ken O'Heed

Demolition Westminster Street (upper), part of new housing Phase 3 (Hyde Park) & Lower part of Dunsmuir Grove, Kelvin Grove & Westminster St (part of Phase 2), pictures 13/06/14, Part 2 of 2

Part 2 of 2

Further to my posts 113 & 114 of 03/06/14 and Alf Stone's post 115 of 09/06/14

Kelvin Grove (lower, north side)

Westminster St (lower, south side)

KEN

packetlos liked this post
Old June 19th, 2014, 05:46 PM   #118
Ken O'Heed

Demolition Westminster Street (upper), part of new housing Phase 3 (Hyde Park) & Lower part of Dunsmuir Grove, Kelvin Grove & Westminster St (part of Phase 2), pictures 19/06/14

Follow up to my last posts with progress pictures, #113 & 114 of 13/06/14

Work continues taking place in lower part of Dunsmuir Grove and rear of lower part of Westminster St and Kelvin Grove (terraces up from Saltwell Rd) - these pictures taken by myself Thursday 19/06/14 approx 1345 to show ongoing demolition process being carried out by G O'Brien Demolition

Precast concrete kerbing now being put in place, topsoil imported prior to spreading and in last few days a great deal of debris removed from site area

The view across the area looking at Westminster St (lower, south side) having roof coverings removed, new rendered block wall gable end to Stirling House pub

Looking up Dunsmuir Grove (lower) with kerbs to south side and topsoil to north side and rear of Westminster St (lower) now without rear offshoot extensions

Looking up Kelvin Grove (lower, north side) as was and across the site

View from Armstrong St, across Saltwell Rd onto Dunsmuir Grove (lower)

KEN
Old June 20th, 2014, 10:59 PM   #119
alf stone

I was down that way today and they were stripping the rooftops:

DSCF1367 Dunsmuir demolition by alfred stone, on Flickr

I know nothing about the demolition trade so is that normal practice? I thought they just stripped the interior and then knocked the whole lot down.

It was nice to see that they had spared the lone tree:

DSCF1372 Dunsmuir demolition by alfred stone, on Flickr

Last edited by alf stone; July 9th, 2017 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Photobucket sabotage
Old June 29th, 2014, 06:22 PM   #120
Ken O'Heed

Demolition Westminster Street (upper), part of new housing Phase 3 (Hyde Park) & Lower part of Dunsmuir Grove, Kelvin Grove & Westminster St (part of Phase 2), pictures 29/06/14, Part 1 of 3

Follow up to my last posts with progress pictures, #118 of 19/06/14

Work continues taking place in lower part of Dunsmuir Grove and rear of lower part of Westminster St and Kelvin Grove (terraces up from Saltwell Rd) - these pictures (over 3 posts) taken by myself Sunday 29/06/14 in period approx 1045 - 1100 to show situation of ongoing demolition and reinstatement process being carried out by G O'Brien Demolition

Precast concrete kerbing now being put in place, topsoil imported prior to spreading and in last few days a great deal of debris removed from site area

Work has started on demolition of properties near foot of Hyde Park St (lower, south side)

Viewing up what was Kelvin Grove (north side)

Looking north at new gable end of Stirling House pub with Westminster St in background

The view across the area looking up Dunsmuir Grove St (lower, south side), Kelvin Grove to the right

Looking north across and up area that was Dunsmuir Grove (lower, north side) with Westminster St in background

More on following post

KEN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction, constructions, gateshead, housing, newcastle, project, project - newcastle area, projects