Projects & Discussion | PARRAMATTA | News, Gossip & Ramblings - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > New South Wales > Parramatta CBD

Parramatta CBD and surrounding areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2016, 07:32 PM   #41
mandonov
Sure, Jan...

Likes (Received): 1897

It's already been named Western Sydney Airport, which makes more sense.
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2016, 12:00 AM   #42
mitchelljb

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandonov View Post
It's a terrible name and it should be called Badgerys Creek. It's an airport for Sydney, not western Sydney. Political point scoring only.
mitchelljb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 12:10 AM   #43
Parravillian
Grumpy blockhead

Likes (Received): 1032

Quote:
Exactly, and considering it's some 30+km away from Parramatta, not sure how you could associate it with Parra.

I would have rather called it the Lawrence Hargrave Airport, or after the nearest local Aboriginal tribe.
Parravillian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2016, 05:44 AM   #44
Eco-rat

Likes (Received): 1235

Quote:
Dreadful name, brings images of that redhead woman mouthing off in boganese at the Rooty Hill RSL.

Stick with Badgerys Creek.

Brizer liked this post
Eco-rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 10:21 AM   #45
mandonov
Sure, Jan...

I would personally rather it be named after a significant Australian figure in aviation, like Kingsford Smith is for Mascot. I was just informing RoarRa what it is named at this present point in time.

Frankly I think both Western Sydney and Badgery's Creek are dull, and unbefitting a major airport for the Sydney basin.
Old April 9th, 2016, 10:25 AM   #46
RoarRa
RAWR ROAR RAWR

Likes (Received): 744

captain cook airport, 1788?
RoarRa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 10:26 AM   #47
mandonov
Sure, Jan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parravillian View Post
Exactly, and considering it's some 30+km away from Parramatta, not sure how you could associate it with Parra.

I would have rather called it the Lawrence Hargrave Airport, or after the nearest local Aboriginal tribe.
Parramatta is closer to Mascot airport than it is to Badgery's Creek. Kingsford Smith should now be named Parramatta International Airport.

Agreed. Like Mascot is named after Kingsford Smith, Badgery's should be named after another Australian aviation pioneer.

Parravillian liked this post
mandonov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 10:28 AM   #48
mandonov
Sure, Jan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoarRa View Post
captain cook airport, 1788?
He didn't really have much to do with aviation, but sure... that's an idea I guess.
Old April 9th, 2016, 03:02 PM   #49
Parra 1
Parramatta

Likes (Received): 183065

Christmas 2015 - Parramatta Town Hall at Midnight by Jo Masters, on FlickrPhoto by me. More photos at http://www.facebook.com/drivingtour #australia #sydney #Eddiemartin #hongkonger #澳洲 #悉尼 #香港人 #canon #canon70d #70D #townhall #parramatta #christmas by eddiemartin, on Flickr

djole13, cnd, Zaz965 liked this post
Parra 1 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 03:09 PM   #50
Parra 1
Parramatta

Likes (Received): 183065

StreetParramatta-0007 by Jacques Hayter, on Flickr

StreetParramatta-0006 by Jacques Hayter, on Flickr

StreetParramatta-0002 by Jacques Hayter, on Flickr

djole13, cnd liked this post
Parra 1 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 07:07 PM   #51
Parravillian
Grumpy blockhead

Quote:
I would personally rather it be named after a significant Australian figure in aviation, like Kingsford Smith is for Mascot. I was just informing RoarRa what it is named at this present point in time.

Frankly I think both Western Sydney and Badgery's Creek are dull, and unbefitting a major airport for the Sydney basin.
Uhm, Lawrence Hargrave?
Old April 10th, 2016, 02:41 AM   #52
motion

Likes (Received): 157

Hahahahaha mascot should be named parramatta airport in fact let's call the sydney opera house the parramatta opera house.

Anyway enough about airports....

I always thought parramatta needed a Louis Vuitton store and some very high end stores. They should have knocked down centenary square and opened it to cars one lane each and lined up Palm trees down the middle so that when psq was up you could offer high end retail along that strip all the way down to the corner of Macquarie where those stores are.

Parramatta (especially north parramatta) is actually a very rich area.

The riches in the area are drowned by the the working class which is very dominant alongside the homeless - most of which are NOT even from parramatta but workers from further out west and a minority from fringe suburbs that's why people think it's a poorer area. The true parramatta is very rich.
motion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 09:15 AM   #53
RoarRa
RAWR ROAR RAWR

i have always wondered they there are so many hobos in parra, is there like a public housing area in parra? like redfern?
Old April 10th, 2016, 09:21 AM   #54
RoarRa
RAWR ROAR RAWR

can i just photo any photos of parra and the council in here, such as 1 or 2 storey building photos?
Old April 10th, 2016, 10:02 AM   #55
Parravillian
Grumpy blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion View Post
I always thought parramatta needed a Louis Vuitton store and some very high end stores. They should have knocked down centenary square and opened it to cars one lane each and lined up Palm trees down the middle so that when psq was up you could offer high end retail along that strip all the way down to the corner of Macquarie where those stores are.

Parramatta (especially north parramatta) is actually a very rich area.

The riches in the area are drowned by the the working class which is very dominant alongside the homeless - most of which are NOT even from parramatta but workers from further out west and a minority from fringe suburbs that's why people think it's a poorer area. The true parramatta is very rich.
I've been saying this for a few years now. Starting with myself, if I'm in the market for anything decent, I have to into the city. Premium shops at DFO are REALLY average when it comes to range and selection.

And whenever I tell people there's a fair bit of money in North Parra and Oatlands, they laugh at me. All you need to do is check out the local cafe on a Saturday morning, and the cars parked outside. Late model Rangies, Bentleys, Ferraris, BMWs, Mercs, etc. Hell, one of my neighbours drives a late model Nissan GT-R. We don't have the mega rich, but the upper class is very much present here.

Quote:
i have always wondered they there are so many hobos in parra, is there like a public housing area in parra? like redfern?
There is still some regular public housing on the western side of Nth Parra. We've got public housing for single women around the corner and you'd never pick it, but the other side of Church St is a bit iffy.
Old April 10th, 2016, 10:12 AM   #56
Parravillian
Grumpy blockhead

My understanding is that as long as it's not a project, yes. Projects have their own thread.

I see this is a general thread about what's going on in Parramatta, like new stores, promotions, etc
Old April 11th, 2016, 01:14 AM   #57
motion

Likes (Received): 157

I didn't want to say it because it is so hard to believe unless you frequent parramatta but I have seen way more bentleys ferraris maseratis in parramatta on a day to day basis then I ever have in the eastern suburbs.
motion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 01:55 AM   #58
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 49

Needs to be central with it's own tram network! Already happening!
Old April 11th, 2016, 05:42 AM   #59
mafa

Likes (Received): 11

from the ABC website - here

New Powerhouse Museum to be built on banks of the Parramatta River
By state political reporter Lucy McNally
Updated Mon 11 Apr 2016, 9:56am
The new Powerhouse Museum will be built in an old car park site by the Parramatta River, despite strong
opposition to its move from central Sydney, the NSW Government has confirmed.
The Government has revealed the chosen site for the museum will be the former David Jones car park on the banks of
the river at Parramatta.
A petition against the decision was signed by 10,000 people, with actress Cate Blanchett and former premier Bob Carr
among those calling for Premier Mike Baird to scrap the plan.
Deputy Premier and Minister for the Arts Troy Grant said the plan was exciting news for western Sydney.
"Obviously we heard the calls regarding the protest of moving the museum from Ultimo," he said.
"But we're focused on delivering Parramatta a world*class museum to increase the patronage of students in particular
and to get visitations up to a million annual visits by 2030."
Construction will begin in 2018 and is set to finish in 2022.
"During construction we're estimating between 3,000 and 3,200 jobs will come online," Mr Grant said.
"This will be an iconic building, and it'll connect to other plans the city has, to make it a real cultural and entertainment
precinct."
The new museum will showcase 40 per cent more of the Powerhouse's exhibits.
The Deputy Premier added that his Government's public transport plans for the region would boost the museum's
capacity to draw visitors from all over Sydney.
"This location complements the light rail and transport plans that we have for Parramatta," Mr Grant said.
"It's a key reason why the site was chosen; connectivity is very important in the west."
Museum should serve western Sydney locals ahead of tourists
Opposition Leader Luke Foley supported the decision and said the new museum should aim to serve locals ahead of
tourists.
"Our first priority should be to deliver for the residents of greater western Sydney," he said.
"This is a region of two million people, soon to be home to three million people, and meeting their needs for arts, cultural
and sporting infrastructure ought to be the priority."
The western Sydney director of the Sydney Business Chamber, David Borger, said the new location was a good choice
and would encourage visitors from the city.
"The advantage of that river site is it does allow people to stand back and view the building from long distances," he said.
Mr Borger said Parramatta was western Sydney's heartland.
"Sydney is growing, and it's growing more in the west than the east because there's more land and the housing is more
affordable," he said
He said Parramatta River was prone to flooding, but he was confident the engineers would put in place necessary
measures to protect the new museum.
"There's a 52*storey building being built adjacent to where the museum is going, so I'm sure all that investigation was
done for that building," he said.

RoarRa, badbehaviour liked this post
mafa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 06:03 AM   #60
AtD
Bigger is better

Likes (Received): 3362

Quote:
Vision | What does Parramatta need to be considered a true city centre?
This is the type of question people ask in Perth and Adelaide. "Sure, we've got a reasonably large economy, population, top tier universities and all the civic amenities. But we need a THEME PARK and an OBSERVATION DECK and a 300 METRE STATUE OF PAUL KEATING! That'll put us on the map!" No.

Parramatta needs to stop telling everyone that it isn't on the map. Stop saying "coming soon" because that means that you're not there yet. Stop the whine of "but what about the Weeeeest?" like Parramatta is some isolated town dependent on hand-outs to do anything.

Parramatta is always going to be overshadowed by Sydney, just like Brooklyn is always going to be overshadowed by Manhattan. But it's not a competition, both can benefit of the success of the other, so long as they don't turn their backs on each other. Poaching from each other is just a race to the bottom. You can't transplant a city, much better to let it grow organically.

As far as the urban environment goes - it's a simple recipe: population density, public transport and jobs. Rezone everything around the CBD as high density, sky is the limit. There's still way too many detached houses a short walk from the Parra CBD. Build that tram line, and get better public transport connections to everywhere, especially Central and the airport. Businesses will follow as long as the door stays open.

Tags
maglev bus to caboolture, mandurahboyz