Official Birmingham Development Thread 50! - Page 59 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2019, 09:48 PM   #1161
PerpetualBrum
💙 Birmingham #1

Likes (Received): 15195

The app was quickly withdrawn. Will they come back with a new one I wonder..
PerpetualBrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2019, 10:00 PM   #1162
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2739

Quote:
Originally Posted by daumal View Post
Odd. I can't see what the essential difference is between this and the one that recently got approved just up the road. In many ways this one seemed better.
Loss of a non-designated heritage asset and the need for student accommodation in the area was not justified in the submission.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2019, 11:27 PM   #1163
Broomstick
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Official Birmingham Development Thread 50!

Edit.

1874 liked this post

Last edited by RalphGuy; October 25th, 2019 at 02:32 AM.
Broomstick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2019, 11:54 PM   #1164
WarwickDan

Likes (Received): 2427

That wasn't really the point of the article. Still, Manchester is a fantastic city that is developing a pretty impressive skyline.

Mosleyan, GregglesUK, ReissOmari liked this post
WarwickDan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2019, 12:50 AM   #1165
Broomstick
BANNED

Edit.

Last edited by RalphGuy; October 25th, 2019 at 02:33 AM.
Old October 24th, 2019, 01:17 AM   #1166
Route 435

Likes (Received): 263

Nice to have a permanent city centre population than just a 9-5 population.
Wonder how many people live within a mile of the respective centre of each city??

Bear Would Ian, jonfsnow liked this post
Route 435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2019, 11:19 AM   #1167
Hasaandoo

Likes (Received): 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
It skyline is meh plotted with a few tall towers as seen above. I agree man is a great city but this fixation with sky scrapers needs to stop lool. Who cares about residentials sky scrapers going up when we should be aiming for office building sky scrapers like the ones going up in the city of London rather then looking at empty residential skyscrapers which are only built to be sold off. I want big companies in the city and the HSBC headquarters was a great start. Hoping for Lloyds bank and the BOE to follow Aswell

Lloyd’s need to return home, and take back dale end. BOE would be huge! Also I agree with you was in man in the weekend, they got couple of skyscraper dotted around but nothing works together. They have no real skyline compared to us where we are starting to build tall know.
Hasaandoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2019, 12:19 PM   #1168
Mosleyan

Likes (Received): 4677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
It skyline is meh plotted with a few tall towers as seen above. I agree man is a great city but this fixation with sky scrapers needs to stop lool. Who cares about residentials sky scrapers going up when we should be aiming for office building sky scrapers like the ones going up in the city of London rather then looking at empty residential skyscrapers which are only built to be sold off. I want big companies in the city and the HSBC headquarters was a great start. Hoping for Lloyds bank and the BOE to follow Aswell
They have plenty of offices too, I'm sure they're about on par with us in regards to office space. Off the top of my head, they've had Amazon and GCHQ moving into the city, plus loads more which I'd have to look up.

Their skyline is pretty good, and getting better as we speak. Can't help it but I smell jealousy and denial in your post.
Mosleyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2019, 12:22 PM   #1169
daumal

Likes (Received): 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Loss of a non-designated heritage asset and the need for student accommodation in the area was not justified in the submission.
I can see that from the article, but that's my point. The latter was also raised for the first one, but they put together a Student Needs Assessment pretty quickly that justified it well enough for it to get approval, and this is a five minute walk away.

On the heritage assets, I find it difficult to believe that the buildings to be demolished here would be considered more important than the one at 1403-7, but I guess we'll wait for the report.
daumal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2019, 01:06 PM   #1170
djay
The promised land

Quote:
Originally Posted by daumal View Post
I can see that from the article, but that's my point. The latter was also raised for the first one, but they put together a Student Needs Assessment pretty quickly that justified it well enough for it to get approval, and this is a five minute walk away.

On the heritage assets, I find it difficult to believe that the buildings to be demolished here would be considered more important than the one at 1403-7, but I guess we'll wait for the report.
from reading on, it's not the building that is important really, but the contribution it makes to the conservation area or similar. As you say, the applicant will need to do a Student Needs Assessment which seems missing.

Old October 24th, 2019, 01:55 PM   #1171
SMUK86

Likes (Received): 1388

Almost posted about this in the ‘what happened to’ post recently:

https://www.egi.co.uk/news/prosperit...d-resi-scheme/

Looks like they are amending plans from six separate plots to a single development. This would be a great spot for some well designed, tall, iconic buildings overlooking and in the background of the Smithfield Development when complete but no doubt we will end up with something at best like Timber Yard but with more units.
Old October 24th, 2019, 02:43 PM   #1172
Blunther
Kebab Licker

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Glide View Post
An article some of you may or may not be interested in reading;

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...ry-skyscrapers

Food for thought in terms of Birmingham's direction in the future?
"Posters have already appeared announcing the birth of “Manc-hattan”. But the truth is we are a long way from that uplifting skyline. This is more like something you’d see on the outer ring road of a third-tier Chinese city."

Brutal!

1874, leonigmig, Hasaandoo, scsw liked this post
Blunther no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2019, 06:15 PM   #1173
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 5267

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUK86 View Post
Almost posted about this in the ‘what happened to’ post recently:

https://www.egi.co.uk/news/prosperit...d-resi-scheme/

Looks like they are amending plans from six separate plots to a single development. This would be a great spot for some well designed, tall, iconic buildings overlooking and in the background of the Smithfield Development when complete but no doubt we will end up with something at best like Timber Yard but with more units.
Don't know if everyone can see this as sometimes people can't so just thought id follow on from what SMUK psoted with the full article.

Quote:
Prosperity plans major Birmingham Smithfield resi scheme
Emma Rosser

Birmingham developer Prosperity is planning a large residential development of at least 600 homes adjacent to the Smithfield Market regeneration.

Smithfield East could see the number of homes increase as the council embraces height and density in Digbeth.

The development is bound by Bradford Street, Barford Street and Rea Street and had been divided into six plots initially, but will now be brought forward as a single development.

Prosperity Wealth has spent the last three years raising funds and acquiring land, and is currently in ongoing pre-application discussions with the council and local stakeholders.

It has invested £17m primarily with its own equity, with early stage finance from Topland, regeared with a series of longer-term loan notes via Property Investor Partnership.

Prosperity is working with Birmingham City Council and Lendlease to ensure the development responds to the £2bn Smithfield Market redevelopment, which aims to provide 2,000 homes and more than 3m sq ft of commercial, retail and leisure space and wider city development plans.

Joe Billingham, founder at Prosperity Wealth, said: “The city council wanted to encourage a wider play to bring residential forward as blocks as opposed to standalone developments.

“We are engaging with Lendlease and Birmingham City Council on key points around access points, infrastructure and taxation. The residential sites that we are looking to bring forward are within the Smithfield masterplan, and it is very much a collaborative approach.”

Lendlease was expected to be officially appointed as development partner for the Smithfield Market regeneration at the council cabinet meeting in September, but this has since been pushed to December.

There is a potential that the 2,000-home scheme will see the number of homes increased as the city warms to increased density and height in the area.

Prosperity was founded in 1990. It initially focused on acquiring property for a private portfolio and later expanded to consultancy and mixed-use city centre acquisition and development.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2019, 06:24 PM   #1174
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 5162

And I quote, "There is a potential that the 2,000 home scheme will see the number of homes increased as the city warms to increased height and density in the area".

Now that's what I want to hear. Made my day.
Old October 25th, 2019, 01:59 AM   #1175
Broomstick
BANNED

Edit.

Last edited by RalphGuy; October 25th, 2019 at 02:31 AM.
Old October 25th, 2019, 04:16 PM   #1176
jonfsnow

Likes (Received): 1830

The sites that I think they are looking at, judging from the map include several buildings that are not exceptional but are by far the oldest in the Smithfield area. If we lose them for something that's the equivalent of ONE BHM they can expect an objection.

The buildings are the only ones that survive in photos of the area by Phillis Nicklin.

Bear Would Ian liked this post
jonfsnow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2019, 07:29 PM   #1177
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8214

This is interesting.... the council have said they will not support any new plans for new or temporary car parks going forward

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...00-go-17149252
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2019, 09:59 PM   #1178
djay
The promised land

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
This is interesting.... the council have said they will not support any new plans for new or temporary car parks going forward

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...00-go-17149252
Parking survey conducted indicated that at any given Time there is at least 10000 spaces free in the city centre. New development is going go to car free with 0 parking except disability parking, expected for resi and office use in the city centre.

All free parking in the city centre is to go and there will be a reduction of on street parking with more public space. There is some other bits elsewhere for the city and local centres will be the same as the city centre and suburban development will be allowed higher levels of parking.

Only had a quick read of the document. It should be released for public consultation next month I think.

DaciaDuster, Hasaandoo, jonfsnow, RalphGuy liked this post
Old October 25th, 2019, 11:01 PM   #1179
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8214

Obviosuly we’ve already seen plans for paradise car park to be sold for redevelopment, I wouldn’t be surprised if the JQ MSCP goes aswel it’s been fairly empty when I’ve used it

Should help with development projects not being turned into temporary car parks and sort out the real developers to car park owners aswel

On street parking going is a welcome addition to hopefully get some more outdoor seating for restaurants too
Old October 26th, 2019, 03:45 AM   #1180
daumal

Likes (Received): 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Parking survey conducted indicated that at any given Time there is at least 10000 spaces free in the city centre. New development is going go to car free with 0 parking except disability parking, expected for resi and office use in the city centre.

All free parking in the city centre is to go and there will be a reduction of on street parking with more public space. There is some other bits elsewhere for the city and local centres will be the same as the city centre and suburban development will be allowed higher levels of parking.

Only had a quick read of the document. It should be released for public consultation next month I think.
Gareth Moore has entered the conversation.
As revealed to St John the Divine.

Brummigrant, DaciaDuster liked this post
daumal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement