AUSTRALIA - Stadium and Arena Development News - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which city in Australia will get the next olympics?
Brisbane 44 30.99%
Melbourne 71 50.00%
Perth 22 15.49%
Sydney 5 3.52%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 30th, 2004, 11:56 PM   #1
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

AUSTRALIA - Stadium and Arena Development News

These were the facilities that were used during the hosting of the Sydney 2000 Olympic games. Most of the facilties still remain in their current shape today while some have had recognfigured (eg Olympic Stadium) or have been demolished. Events were held at Sydney Olympic Park, Darling Harbour in the city centre and at Satellite Venues across Sydney.

I’ll start this thread by focusing on the facilities at Sydney Olympic Park at Homebush Bay, 13 km or 8 miles west of the city. Where possible, I have listed the sports that used the facilities.

Sydney Olympic Park
Eighteen sports were played here across the various facilities.

Here's an aerial of Sydney Olympic Park

Stadium Australia (Olympic Stadium)
Capacity: 110 000 (85 000 post Olympics)
Sports: Athletics, Football

Post Olympics

Sydney Superdome
Capacity: 20 000
Sports: Basketball, Gymnastics

Sydney International Aquatic Centre
Sports: Swimming, Diving, Synchroised Swimming, Water Polo

Sydney Showgrounds
Sports: Baseball, Basketball

Main Arena – Baseball

Sydney International Archery Centre -Archery

Sydney International Tennis Centre – Tennis.

Hockey Stadium - Hockey
Capacity: 10 000

State Sports Centre

I'll next post images of Facilties at Darling Harbour.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks

Last edited by Fabian; August 31st, 2004 at 11:34 PM.
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2004, 01:50 AM   #2
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 613

Yes, hardly "a car boot sale"
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 08:09 PM   #3
the scatman

Likes (Received): 0

i dont know if this thread was intended to compare sydney with any other recent olympcs so i wont compare... ill just say that the sydney ones are prety good but ive seen better...
the scatman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2004, 10:45 PM   #4
Welshlad
Socialogically Diseased

Likes (Received): 9

I just loved the Stadium, i think it looks crap now, drove past it a few weeks back and it didnt impress, but it was really awesome at the time.

I was surprised at how much was still there at the park and being used, I dont think anything has gone has it?
Welshlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 10:52 PM   #5
schmidt

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshlad
I just loved the Stadium, i think it looks crap now, drove past it a few weeks back and it didnt impress, but it was really awesome at the time.

I was surprised at how much was still there at the park and being used, I dont think anything has gone has it?
I agree with you. I wonder if Athens' is gonna look 'not so great' in 4 years as well.
schmidt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 11:28 PM   #6
Thunderflip
Selbstmordberliner

Likes (Received): 4

Sydney maybe had better facilities but those of Athens were really unique and romantic.I was happy to see the Olympics returning to the land of its birth.The opening show was spectacular even though it was short.I was totally amazed.
Thunderflip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 11:32 PM   #7
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshlad

I think it looks better Post Olympics. It looks even better without the temporary stands. The extension of roof over the northern and southern ends has improved the visual appeal of the stadium. I'm happy with the stadium even though I wished the 110 000 capaity should of stayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the scatman
i dont know if this thread was intended to compare sydney with any other recent olympcs so i wont compare... ill just say that the sydney ones are prety good but ive seen better...
Were not here to compare it with other host cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar
Yes, hardly "a car boot sale"
Agreed. I wonder what Gocaps thoughts are on this?

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old August 31st, 2004, 11:47 PM   #8
Mr. T

Likes (Received): 2

First off I never called anything a "car boot sale" so I do not know where you are getting that from. Neither did I say that I did not like Sydney's Olympics because I did very much. Everything ran perfectly, and was great, and I cannot take that away from you. Your venues were great expecially the Olympic Stadium, the Gymnastics arena, and the swimming center. But they were the greatest venues in 2000. But if you are trying to compare them to those of Athens there is no comparison, in general Athens had better and more modern venues than Sydney. You can't really compare a brand new venue to one built 4 or 5 years ago, not to mention it looks like they put that archery stadium together in 5 minutes.

I never had anything against Sydneys Olympics or stadiums but the fact is the ones in Athens are better, and more modern, also they are made to last unlike they many in Sydney that were made just for the games, and were taken down right afterwards.
Mr. T no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2004, 12:25 AM   #9
Cee_em_bee

Likes (Received): 1

Imo the best stadiums in the world were built in Melbourne.. Geez they got some beautys there.
Cee_em_bee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2004, 12:39 AM   #10
Aquarius
Nooo, ya no

Likes (Received): 50

nice i have a recopilation of the Barcelona venues
Aquarius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2004, 02:12 AM   #11
Morten M
Hmm

Some of the venues in Athens were better than in Sydney and some in Sydney were better than Athens.
The Olympic Stadium i by my opinion a little better in Sydney.
The Superdome i Sydney were also a little better.
The Aquatic Centre were much better i Sydney.
Most of the "small" indoor arenas in Athens were better than Sydney. (The Arenas for: Preliminary Basketball, Handball, Badminton, Teakwondo....)
Morten M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:30 PM   #12
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocaps75
First off I never called anything a "car boot sale" so I do not know where you are getting that from. Neither did I say that I did not like Sydney's Olympics because I did very much. Everything ran perfectly, and was great, and I cannot take that away from you. Your venues were great expecially the Olympic Stadium, the Gymnastics arena, and the swimming center. But they were the greatest venues in 2000. But if you are trying to compare them to those of Athens there is no comparison, in general Athens had better and more modern venues than Sydney. You can't really compare a brand new venue to one built 4 or 5 years ago, not to mention it looks like they put that archery stadium together in 5 minutes.

I never had anything against Sydneys Olympics or stadiums but the fact is the ones in Athens are better, and more modern, also they are made to last unlike they many in Sydney that were made just for the games, and were taken down right afterwards.
My apologies. I just went back to the thread and found out it was Reaper the pure that made the comment.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...5&page=4&pp=20

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old September 2nd, 2004, 05:38 AM   #13
Landos
BANNED

What was novel once, gets old fast.

Nothing changes faster than peoples taste in archtecture. Sydney was cutting edge in 2000. Today it looks like a bow tie on a double-lapel suit-no longer the standard by which things are measured. Athens is elegant today, but I have no doubt that it will look dated in 2008. The hand of time moves on!
Landos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2004, 06:11 AM   #14
Jlagu
Usuario de Honor

Likes (Received): 26

what are they doing right now with what used to be the International Broadcasting Center (IBC)?
Jlagu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2004, 02:33 PM   #15
Len

Likes (Received): 2

Our Olympic Stadium is way better than the Athens one...
Len no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2004, 04:18 PM   #16
Landos
BANNED

Another Aussie weighs in with his deepest thoughts!

Quote:
Our Olympic Stadium is way better than the Athens one...

LOL. How predictably trite.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 04:56 PM   #17
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landos
Nothing changes faster than peoples taste in archtecture. Sydney was cutting edge in 2000. Today it looks like a bow tie on a double-lapel suit-no longer the standard by which things are measured. Athens is elegant today, but I have no doubt that it will look dated in 2008. The hand of time moves on!
Yes and Athens was akin to dressing up an old, overweight and useless maid in a glass tiara. The only thing that even made the athens stadium palatable was the roof. The basic stadium looked dated when it was built quite a few years ago. I do agree though that Sydney could have been designed with a little more flair and longevity of aesthetic but you have to understand that the stadium is very Australian in its style.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2004, 08:27 PM   #18
DTGR

u cant say its just a bowl...I mean the munich s stadium is much much more primitive than the athens one but it still looks up-to-date great and all...and that was just a bowl..if it wasnt for the roof nobody would mention it

Sydneys stadium was awesome at that time!! And looked very nice on tv also.....what i dislike about it is that now without the extra seats it looks like any other stadium they are building in asia..mainly china at the moment...it doesnt look that unique as it did with those extra seats.

Hey could i have some more info about the international aquatic center? and maybe a couple more pictures? ty!
DTGR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2004, 12:16 AM   #19
Landos
BANNED

Avatar, you're boring us with your repetition.

We know you're not a fan of the Athens venues. You don't have to belabor the issue with constant repetition. Don't reinforce my image of you as a rigid personality, ok?

Sydney was a fine Olympics. It's a shame that you and many other Australians can't admit as much about the Athens games. But as I said, that would take a maturity of character that many Aussies, apparently, lack. Your self-image must be founded on putting others down to build yourselves up. Pity, really.

Dwell in your pool of bile down-under. The rest of the world will move on.
Old September 3rd, 2004, 12:57 AM   #20
citywatch

Likes (Received):

I think the 2000 stadium looks better without the temporary end-zone bleachers. They may have provided great capacity, but they made the stadium look too much like something at a high school or college, in the midwest of America, for example. Only thing I can't figure out from the aerial before & after photos is where the stadium's Olympic torch was located.

As for 2000 and 2004, I think they're one big blur, mainly because recent Olympic organizers have pretty much followed the same format in outfitting their sites with lots of the same type of temporary canvas wall coverings, the ones imprinted with "Atlanta 1996" or "Sydney 2000" or "Athens 2004." However, I think the locations for 2000 had more oomphf because they more likely were full of spectators, whereas the 2004 games had several locations that weren't exactly SRO (at the soccer stadium in particular, which made it impossible to believe soccer is a popular sport in Europe).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement