Projects & Discussion | SYDNEY | General Public Transport Thread - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old April 27th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #121
wowsim
Registered User
 
wowsim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: München
Posts: 1,693
Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5star View Post

Sydney will always be the *place* to put your corporate headquaters.
You're such an embarrassing 90s relic. Everything you write smacks of insecurity....

People like you are what is holding Sydney back.
__________________
It's great being rich and famous, until you kill your wife. Then you've got trouble.

Last edited by wowsim; April 27th, 2009 at 04:45 PM.
wowsim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old April 27th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #122
mx5star
Registered User
 
mx5star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,306
Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowsim View Post
You're such an embarrassing 90s relic. Everything you write smacks of insecurity....

People like you are what is holding Sydney back.
Ummm last time I looked out the window I live in Melbourne. I have no insecurities about myself whatsoever.

You seem to be a person that can't take decent criticism where it is deserved. If you actually bother to read my posts without parochialism you will find that I haven't really ever singled out a person for criticism. My comments are based on experience and thats it.

mx
mx5star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 04:27 AM   #123
zach24
Registered User
 
zach24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,965
Likes (Received): 2

Oh poor Sydney is becoming third world.

Northern part of the City lost power again....

My dog could do a better job managing this State.
zach24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old April 28th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #124
mx5star
Registered User
 
mx5star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,306
Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowsim View Post
Victoria: Cheaper water than NSW, cheaper gas than NSW, comparably priced, more reliable power than NSW (and the State isn't being crippled by having to build the baseload itself)....

Such a terrible failure....

Check the AEMC's reports into the Victorian energy sector before you begin another of your interminable ramblings. http://www.aemc.gov.au/electricity.p...0071004.170645
One of the fascinating things about the recent Melbourne blackouts (from the heat) was our energy company managed to make sure that the *golden mile* where I live in Brighton didn't lose power.

Why? Because you can claim against power companies for not supplying power. The average manse in Brighton would no doubt have two fridges or more and a shit load of food in them. Better to keep power to the richest part of the city than incur a large claim.

We were never blacked out.

I find that completely wrong. But I can understand that from a risk management perspective for a private company.

Hence why I don't like privatisation. Public utilities should be exactly that, public. If there are power problems then it should be shared around every one.

mx
mx5star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 05:22 AM   #125
mx5star
Registered User
 
mx5star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,306
Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowsim View Post
Victoria: Cheaper water than NSW, cheaper gas than NSW, comparably priced, more reliable power than NSW (and the State isn't being crippled by having to build the baseload itself)....

Such a terrible failure....

Check the AEMC's reports into the Victorian energy sector before you begin another of your interminable ramblings. http://www.aemc.gov.au/electricity.p...0071004.170645
Hmmm and such a terrible failure for all of Victoria during the heatwaves. Basslink went down, decrepit substations that went *computer says no* and not a comprehensive *in the event of* failure workable plan to share electricity around the place.



mx

Last edited by mx5star; April 28th, 2009 at 05:24 AM. Reason: *removes smarmy comment
mx5star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #126
wowsim
Registered User
 
wowsim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: München
Posts: 1,693
Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5star View Post
Hmmm and such a terrible failure for all of Victoria during the heatwaves. Basslink went down, decrepit substations that went *computer says no* and not a comprehensive *in the event of* failure workable plan to share electricity around the place.



mx
Gee... the system struggled to cope with the heatwave conditions that completely re-wrote the history books. Well knock me down.

When I used to live in Caste Hill we would literally have power interuptions at least once a week. Usually they were short blackouts of a few minutes at night. But at least once per week you'd need to go around the house and reset all the clocks on mains power....


NSW power infrastructure is in big trouble, and there is no way the NSW government can deal with it and pay to build more power-stations. Not to mention maintain a horrendously bloated and inefficient public service running it. It is that simple.
__________________
It's great being rich and famous, until you kill your wife. Then you've got trouble.
wowsim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #127
mx5star
Registered User
 
mx5star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,306
Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowsim View Post
Gee... the system struggled to cope with the heatwave conditions that completely re-wrote the history books. Well knock me down.

When I used to live in Caste Hill we would literally have power interuptions at least once a week. Usually they were short blackouts of a few minutes at night. But at least once per week you'd need to go around the house and reset all the clocks on mains power....


NSW power infrastructure is in big trouble, and there is no way the NSW government can deal with it and pay to build more power-stations. Not to mention maintain a horrendously bloated and inefficient public service running it. It is that simple.
If I think you are the person that I remember all THOSE years ago, you lived in the hills quite some time ago.

I do take note that you haven't commented on the fact that where I live in Brighton did not suffer from blackouts simply because it would be too expensive to cut power, and let the poorer suburbs suffer.

Public v's Private for Utilities is a no brainer.

mx
mx5star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #128
wowsim
Registered User
 
wowsim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: München
Posts: 1,693
Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5star View Post
If I think you are the person that I remember all THOSE years ago, you lived in the hills quite some time ago.

I do take note that you haven't commented on the fact that where I live in Brighton did not suffer from blackouts simply because it would be too expensive to cut power, and let the poorer suburbs suffer.

Public v's Private for Utilities is a no brainer.

mx
I last lived in Sydney in 2003, you're contending things have improved since then?

I'm not commenting on Brighton because I'm not sure on the law, and not convinced there a causes of action against power retailers for power interruptions caused by what is in effect a force majeure. I doubt that there are, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Also I would imagine it isn't the power retailers that determine where the power goes in a brown out.

And NSW has the same deregulated, privatised, retail power market that VIC has AFAIK.

So if it is because your power company is afraid of litigious Brighton residents, then the same thing should apply in Sydney.
__________________
It's great being rich and famous, until you kill your wife. Then you've got trouble.
wowsim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #129
John_Proctor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,239
Likes (Received): 563

Brighton wasn't the only area that didn't suffer blackouts during the heatwave. in fact the substation that went down was on the Western Ring Road near maribyrnong I think and that is the reason large areas of the western suburbs and CBD went down while the eastern suburbs were largely unaffected.

During one of the big storms last year though a friend of mine who lives in Brighton lost power due to a tree fall I think and was one of the last to get power back in the house about 3-4 days later.

anyway. I think privatisation has been a massive boon for Victoria. we've had about $15 billion working for the state for hte last 15 years and haven't had to pay 20,000 staff for something the private sector has been able to do with about 10,000 staff (or less).

Having said that I still think that the government in Victoria will have to chip in a large amount of money either directly or as subsidy to get a new baseload power plant constructed here that can deal with future power needs (we are close to our limit in Victoria as well).
John_Proctor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #130
AtD
Bigger is better
 
AtD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 6,061
Likes (Received): 3360

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5star View Post
One of the fascinating things about the recent Melbourne blackouts (from the heat) was our energy company managed to make sure that the *golden mile* where I live in Brighton didn't lose power.

Why? Because you can claim against power companies for not supplying power. The average manse in Brighton would no doubt have two fridges or more and a shit load of food in them. Better to keep power to the richest part of the city than incur a large claim.

We were never blacked out.

I find that completely wrong. But I can understand that from a risk management perspective for a private company.

Hence why I don't like privatisation. Public utilities should be exactly that, public. If there are power problems then it should be shared around every one.

mx
That might have something to do with Brighton Private Hospital... just a guess. Thanks Google Maps.

You can blame the privatisation boogie-man if you want, but private companies actually want the transmission infrastructure to work. No transmission = no customers. NSW's public grid isn't exactly a beacon of state-run enterprise.
__________________
How popular is public transport in Australian cities?
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showp...&postcount=703
AtD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #131
zach24
Registered User
 
zach24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,965
Likes (Received): 2

The problem with NSW is that the power sector is run by the state.
The failure to privatise is not simply a loss of $10bn that the government would have received, but also the $20bn that it (rather than the private sector) must now spend to increase supply.
zach24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #132
beastjim
Maglev Believer
 
beastjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,259
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtD View Post
That might have something to do with Brighton Private Hospital... just a guess. Thanks Google Maps.
I was about to ask that. Are there any hospitals nearby, they will also be pretty much the last places to loose power. I live about 100-200m away from one, never going to lose power here.
beastjim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #133
mx5star
Registered User
 
mx5star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,306
Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Proctor View Post
Brighton wasn't the only area that didn't suffer blackouts during the heatwave. in fact the substation that went down was on the Western Ring Road near maribyrnong I think and that is the reason large areas of the western suburbs and CBD went down while the eastern suburbs were largely unaffected.

During one of the big storms last year though a friend of mine who lives in Brighton lost power due to a tree fall I think and was one of the last to get power back in the house about 3-4 days later.

anyway. I think privatisation has been a massive boon for Victoria. we've had about $15 billion working for the state for hte last 15 years and haven't had to pay 20,000 staff for something the private sector has been able to do with about 10,000 staff (or less).

Having said that I still think that the government in Victoria will have to chip in a large amount of money either directly or as subsidy to get a new baseload power plant constructed here that can deal with future power needs (we are close to our limit in Victoria as well).
Your full of shit. Substations go down ONLY if they are either old and decrepit or the electricity provider decides to power shed. Currently in Victoria there are many private companies that actually really have a monopoly. And have there been any new additions to Melbourne's power network?

mx
mx5star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #134
mx5star
Registered User
 
mx5star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,306
Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtD View Post
That might have something to do with Brighton Private Hospital... just a guess. Thanks Google Maps.

You can blame the privatisation boogie-man if you want, but private companies actually want the transmission infrastructure to work. No transmission = no customers. NSW's public grid isn't exactly a beacon of state-run enterprise.
Jeesus you keep popping up like a cane toad. If Adelaide and Canberra are you actual experiences of the world (mullet capital and serial killer capital) then please keep posting. I find it amusing.

mx
mx5star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #135
AtD
Bigger is better
 
AtD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 6,061
Likes (Received): 3360

Everyone is wrong except you.
__________________
How popular is public transport in Australian cities?
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showp...&postcount=703
AtD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #136
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao
 
Svartmetall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 14,317
Likes (Received): 11781

C'mon, stop with the personal attacks please it's just getting out of hand and it's really tedious to read.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #137
mx5star
Registered User
 
mx5star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,306
Likes (Received): 30

I thought I might bump this thread back up again.

Earlier this evening I was on the phone to my sister before she leaves for Europe.

One of the most astonishing things was that she was in Burwood, getting her hair done. And of course we have matching iPhones so the speakerphone was on.

I asked my sister why she was in Burwood, *oh it's 10 minutes on the train so what? I always get my hair done here*

Sounds irrelevant, but it kind of shows how NSW and Sydney in particular has a decent public transport network.

In the conversation, as she knows I'm a train spotter, I heard a Tangara, M-Set, V-set and an O-set, and a shit load of "K" whizzing past to the western suburbs. I miss that.

For the record, there is no other city in Australia that has such a comprehensive network of express suburban trains.

mx
mx5star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #138
nemu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 292
Likes (Received): 2

Sydney HAD a decent rail network but for the past 20 yrs there's been no real progress
nemu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #139
mx5star
Registered User
 
mx5star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,306
Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemu View Post
Sydney HAD a decent rail network but for the past 20 yrs there's been no real progress
Are you from Sydney or are completely ignorant> I could easily log quite a long list of *projects* that have been done. More than any other capital city in Australia.

mx
mx5star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #140
nemu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 292
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5star View Post
Are you from Sydney or are completely ignorant> I could easily log quite a long list of *projects* that have been done. More than any other capital city in Australia.

mx
Yes but why are we comparing against other Australian cities in the first place? For a world class city (or one would claim) comparisons would inevitably be drawn against similar metropolis around the world.

and I'm not exactly alone in my views here. There's a whole whine thread decicated for City Rail.

Last edited by nemu; April 30th, 2009 at 06:24 PM.
nemu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Tags
maglev bus to caboolture, mandurahboyz

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Projectos e Notícias de Oeiras Fern Projectos 2133 Today 05:39 PM
London - Full Summary of Projects 28 SE9 London Metro Area 116 Today 11:33 AM
"Mорско око" - Форумен дрон за Варна p0ck0 Varna 851 Yesterday 08:24 PM
Penang Transportation Plan rizalhakim Pengangkutan 3778 November 15th, 2019 01:51 PM
[Bratislava] Full Summary of Projects alien Bratislava 636 October 3rd, 2018 01:45 PM


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us