Discussion > General Melbourne related banter - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Victoria

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 12th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #61
Morjo

Likes (Received): 50

Thanks for the reminder about the open day, hopefully the weather will be good. I imagine there will be crowds though!
Morjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2009, 05:22 AM   #62
auslankan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Thats what they want you to believe to try and get PT back with the Government, dont think for a minute that it was any good back in those dark days..
Have to agree the PT at the moment is as good as it will most likely get esp if the population keeps growing at the same rate.
I cant remember when the trains were ever any good and dont forget Melbourne had half the population in the 1950 - 60s which was supposed to be the golden era for PT.

If you think the current trains and trams are bad then the red rattlers/blue Harris trains and open door trams were shocking - boiling hot in summer and freezing in winter.
Old July 19th, 2009, 05:45 AM   #63
kichigai

Likes (Received): 245

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...4-2862,00.html

Flinders Street Station ballroom no worth restoring - Doyle

James Campbell

July 19, 2009 12:00am

LORD Mayor Robert Doyle believes Flinders St Station's ballroom is not worth saving.

He says it's small, difficult to get to and a health and safety nightmare.

Pressure to restore the ballroom has been growing since a 2007 Committee of Melbourne report recommended spending $10 million to fix up the third of the station that is derelict.

The $150,000 report said the station was deteriorating at an alarming rate.

But the Lord Mayor told the Sunday Herald Sun he believed restoring the ballroom would be a waste of money.

"In my opinion, it's not worth restoring," Mr Doyle said.

"It's not what you imagine it to be.

"From its name you expect a grand ballroom, but it's more like a hall."

The ballroom has grown as an object of fascination since it was closed in the 1970s.

It once held Victorian Railway Institute dances and was used as a lecture theatre, a meeting hall and a rock 'n' roll and ballroom dancing venue.

It has a small orchestra stage, a kitchen at the back and a ticket and cloak room at the front.

The ballroom was part of a suite of long-forgotten amenities at the station, including restaurants, a library and a billiard room.

It has laid derelict for the past 40 years, despite several attempts to have it restored and reopened.

In 1994, then-transport minister Allan Brown said the Kennett Government was considering restoring the ballroom at a cost of $1 million.

At the time, Melbourne Festival director Leo Schofield was keen to have the ballroom as an arts venue.

Nothing came of the plan.

Five years later, rail franchisee Connex vowed to turn it into an entertainment venue as part of its plans to redevelop the station.

Those plans were later abandoned.

Mr Doyle said it would be hard to bring the ballroom up to present occupational health and safety standards, and access to the room was difficult.

"It's at the end of a long corridor of offices, so getting access to it would be difficult," he said.

"Bringing it up to present health and safety standards would be very hard.

"It doesn't come up to modern health and safety standards. I don't think it's worth it."
kichigai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #64
melburn21
flame on.

Likes (Received): 3061

its hard to say without seeing it... but it seems sad not to restore it, even if its just for history's sake.
Old July 21st, 2009, 08:58 AM   #65
John_Proctor

Likes (Received): 563

I think they should get the train operator out of offices in FSS and turn it into an 'affordable' office space for small enterprises. eg. stand alone lawyers/accountants/etc who normally wouldn't be able to find a suitable space in the CBD.

the offices are supposedly crap for a modern large company as they were designed in a time when stand alone offices were the norm rather than open plan.

The Ball Room could be restored and along with the office space Doyle mentions could be turned into a high class transit lounge themed restaurant/pub with private booths in the office spaces that Doyle says you have to walk past to get to the ball room as the 'main bar'. could be priced at a level that would preclude the sort of issues we are seeing on King Street at the moment to get it approved by the wowsers (btw. priced in that manner would exclude me too so don't think I'm being elitist just trying to look for a solution that opens the space up a bit).
John_Proctor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:31 PM   #66
uewepuep

Likes (Received): 30

When did the Mail Exchange get done up? Looks great!
uewepuep no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #67
melburn21
flame on.

soooooooo. we have a new logo. putting the fact that it cost 240k aside, what does everone think?

old

new

the final version has green in it... i cant find it... but its in MelbourneOnTheRise's avatar.

now i know some people will hate it (cue alpha), but i personally think its not bad... certainly much better than what we used to have...
Old July 24th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #68
Aussie Steve

Likes (Received): 139

City of Sydney coat-of-arms

City of Sydney emblem:

City of Sydney logo:

You can see the Sydney links. But Melbourne.....????

City of Melbourne coat-of-arms

City of Melbourne logo (old):

Cityof Melbourne logo (new):
Aussie Steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #69
AJphx

Likes (Received): 11

Melbourne is the photo on the Bing front page today - July 24
http://www.bing.com/
AJphx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #70
The Collector

Likes (Received): 966

Speaking as a graphic designer, I much prefer the old logo, representing old and new!

The new logo looks like it's promoting Fed Square and Monaco House, with nothing to represent the rest of Melbourne.

It's also blocky in an unpleasant way, a bit like something out of Transformers as well.

At least the old one had an elegant look about it.

What we see here is change for the sake of it, there was nothing wrong with the old logo!

http://www.thecollectormm.com.au/

I collect, therefore I am.
The Collector no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #71
Meldon

Likes (Received): 479

I find the new logo mildly annoying to look at as I can't quite figure out the perspective....a bit like one of those optical illusion drawings where nothing is quite right if you look at it closely. I prefer the old one, but it's only a logo and is already doing its job generating publicity.
Meldon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #72
Tyson

Likes (Received): 664

Putting the cost issue aside, I like it. I think it's quite bold and daring.
Old July 25th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #73
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3621

I am yet to see it with my own eyes but I have heard the prisms within the new logo will open out to display events throughout the year ? I guess if thought has gone into it attracting attention for the city maybe it is better than first look ? Time will tell.
Old July 25th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #74
AK Anthony
Construction CA

Likes (Received): 2

To put it rather simply, i'm not overly excited nor pleased with the new logo design.

Basically for the already mentioned reasons (though i still can't get past the cost issue ).
AK Anthony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #75
uewepuep

Likes (Received): 30

I really, really like the new logo.
uewepuep no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #76
Alibaba

Likes (Received): 6

I do like it.... its bold, new, modern and forward

with new landmarks established & being built ie Fed Sq, Convention center, Eka, Southern Cross station & Soccer stadium - these are in line with these new Melb image

it just lack the heritage/european traditional symbol though
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #77
[email protected]
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

oi bitches help me out.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=922438
GOR@N no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #78
limeyellow

Likes (Received): 0

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...756348940.html

Artistic all-stars to headline next Winter Masterpieces
August 12, 2009 - 7:48PM

Some of the world's finest artworks from the 19th and 20th centuries are leaving Europe for the first time to be showcased in Australia next year.

More than 100 works from a roll-call of artistic icons - Monet, Cezanne, Renoir and Picasso to name a few - will be at Melbourne's National Gallery of Victoria (NGV) from June 19 to October 10, 2010, as part of the Winter Masterpieces series.

The pieces will be on loan from Germany's oldest civil cultural foundation, the Stadel Museum in Frankfurt, which will undergo refurbishment.

NGV director Gerard Vaughan hopes audiences will not solely focus on works from the popular impressionists, like Pierre-Auguste Renoir's After The Luncheon (1879).

He wants gallery goers to open their minds to some of the lesser known offerings, such as The Synagogue (1919) from expressionist Max Beckmann.

"What's of crucial importance is the opportunity that this show provides for Australians to engage not only with masterpieces like some familiar and much-loved French impressionists, but also to move on and explore the great central and northern European art influence at the time," Dr Vaughan told reporters at the NGV.

"In this respect this remarkable show is going to break new ground here in Australia."

The exhibition will feature large-scale romantic German paintings from the late 1700s, including Johan Heinrich Wilhelm Tischbein's Goethe in the Roman Countryside (1787).

"It's presence in Australia will be a great coup. This painting is almost never lent, it's a great national icon for Germany," Dr Vaughan said.

Another key work in the collection is the evocative symbolist piece Samson and Delilah (1901), by Max Liebermann.

"Some of these works are almost Wagnerian in their drama and atmosphere," Dr Vaughan said.

"Now this is a tough painting but the public are going to love it and, above all, art students will love it."

Frankfurt is not necessarily a must-see tourist destination in Germany, like Berlin, therefore the Stadel Museum's holdings are less known than those elsewhere in Europe.

"We can look at this collection, this remarkable collection, as one of the hidden jewels ... in terms of central European collections," Dr Vaughan said.

More than 170,000 people have seen the Salvador Dali Liquid Desire since it opened at the NGV in June.

One quarter of visitors come from interstate or overseas.

Premier John Brumby said more than 1.6 million visitors have visited Winter Masterpieces exhibitions since they began in 2004, generating more than $100 million of economic activity.

"Our Winter Masterpieces now rank up there alongside the AFL football Grand Final and the Spring Racing Carnival in terms of the economic contribution that they make to our state," he said.
limeyellow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #79
melburn21
flame on.

Fantastic! I'll go!
Old August 13th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #80
clive3300

Likes (Received): 43

Awesome banner guys! Is that the lake or the bay off st Kilda?
clive3300 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz, melbourne