Discussion > General Melbourne related banter - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Victoria

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 25th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #121
Jardoga

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco-rat View Post
What I don't get is why Melbourne is always trying to go for a warm-climate vibe - outdoor tables, palm trees and umbrellas and so on, when for at least 1/2 the year it is a real turnoff.

Cities in Europe where they accept the warm-climate stuff doesn't work, can emphasise the indoor environment - open fires, welcoming looking lounges, subdued lighting, wood panelling and so on. Nothing to be ashamed of, just because the outdoors works in Brisbane don't expect it to work in Melbourne.

Particularly in the windblown west of the city.
Why cant there be outdoor tables with umbrellas? it works very well during summer and spring, Melbourne isnt cold 12 months of the year, and during winter umbrellas are usually taken down, with awnings and outdoor heaters to replace them . The palm trees I believe dont look like the tropical palm trees you would see in Queensland or Miami ect. They are the real fat chunky ones.
Jardoga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #122
wowsim

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
What I don't get is why Melbourne is always trying to go for a warm-climate vibe - outdoor tables, palm trees and umbrellas and so on, when for at least 1/2 the year it is a real turnoff.

Cities in Europe where they accept the warm-climate stuff doesn't work, can emphasise the indoor environment - open fires, welcoming looking lounges, subdued lighting, wood panelling and so on. Nothing to be ashamed of, just because the outdoors works in Brisbane don't expect it to work in Melbourne.

Temperature-wise Melbourne's winters are comparable to Ibiza and Athens...Are they considered cold-climate cities?
Old September 27th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #123
Mickeebee

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:

You obviously haven't travelled anywhere outside glorious tropical SEQ otherwise you'd know that even Stockholm, Oslo and other cities that are much colder than Melbourne have loads of street dining and outdoor eating areas.
Mickeebee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2009, 06:20 AM   #124
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3592

Melbourne is lucky to offer variety and seasons.....OK sometimes a few of them can be in the same day but you can move from outdoor to indoor when that happens. Many a fine time can be had dining or eating outdoors here in marvellous Melbourne.
Old September 27th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #125
Eco-rat

Likes (Received): 1235

When you've finished all that self-stimulus-ing, explain to me one thing. Why is the Docklands area deserted in winter?

That's right. Because it is cold, wet and windy.

If, in addition to the umbrellas and palms, we had some good warm, inviting and comfortable places down there, might survive winter.
Eco-rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #126
Eco-rat

Likes (Received): 1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeebee View Post
You obviously haven't travelled anywhere outside glorious tropical SEQ otherwise you'd know that even Stockholm, Oslo and other cities that are much colder than Melbourne have loads of street dining and outdoor eating areas.
You "obviously" know jack-sh__ about me, so spare the "obviously".

Seeing as its clearly a p'ing contest, here's my entry:

Australia (all states), NZ, New Caledonia, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, China (where I spent a while), India, Middle East, Morocco, Spain, France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Belgium, UK, Canada, USA.

I recall eating paella in a outdoor cafe on Barcelona's waterfront in about 5 degree temperatures so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about.

Let's just imagine, for a change, we could walk AND chew gum at the same time - and imagine that we could get some cold-weather design happening concurrent with the warm.
Eco-rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #127
Mickeebee

/\/\ oh dear. calm down.
Old September 27th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #128
L2
Clyde <> Carlingford

Likes (Received): 1687

Mickeebee please don't treat Eco-rat like he is JayT - they have nothing in common. You don't need to treat him like he's some sort of idiot who talks up Brisbane/SEQ endlessly (cough cough).

And perhaps the lovers for Melb better not visit this thread in the NZ forum "Rubbish places in the world that you've visited."

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=964842
Old September 27th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #129
Mandelbrot

Likes (Received): 50

You had me up to, "I recall eating paella in a outdoor cafe on Barcelona's waterfront in about 5 degree temperatures so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about", then I couldn't stop thinking what a pompous tool you sound like.
Mandelbrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #130
Mickeebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
Mickeebee please don't treat Eco-rat like he is JayT - they have nothing in common. You don't need to treat him like he's some sort of idiot who talks up Brisbane/SEQ endlessly (cough cough).

And perhaps the lovers for Melb better not visit this thread in the NZ forum "Rubbish places in the world that you've visited."

Excuse me?
Old September 27th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #131
cjb287

Likes (Received): 50

I can't fathom the amount of arrogant miss-informed users on these forums. Most comments and criticism of other cities is either based on observations from a fast moving vehicle on a trip to the airport or google street view images or something

Everyone is so intent on finding negative things to say about other places. Take a better look around and stop being so eager to put shit on everywhere except the place you live. It's so childish
cjb287 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #132
Jardoga

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan Luka View Post
Melbourne, Australia. Overrated. Terrible winter weather, unbearable summer heat. Everyone reminding you that you are in a world class, world famous city of the world that is the envy of everywhere. The residents seem to think they are the only city on earth were you can buy sophisticated things like cappuccino and enchiladas. Full of different ethnic groups that dont get along- especially on a Friday night at any railway station.

Well that was a great reason why Melbourne is rubbish, i was expecting a little bit more then that.

They should take a look at there own tryhard cities, there not sparkling diamonds either.

Last edited by Jardoga; September 27th, 2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #133
melburn21
flame on.

Likes (Received): 3057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandelbrot View Post
You had me up to, "I recall eating paella in a outdoor cafe on Barcelona's waterfront in about 5 degree temperatures so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about", then I couldn't stop thinking what a pompous tool you sound like.
haha

Quote:
Why is the Docklands area deserted in winter?

wrong.

docklands has the same amount of people in it wether its summer or winter, because it is a reidential/workplace area... just like the CBD. The weather dosnt factor into it.... its not Luna Park
Old September 27th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #134
Dockside

Likes (Received): 153

Yes, its very easy to throw shit at a place, i cant think of 1 place thats ALL FANTASTIC without the bad or trashy aspects to it.
London, New York, Paris, Moscow and GOD forbid anywhere in NZ have many bad parts to them, but if thats all you notice then that shows you up to be a very sad person indeed, to only see what you have in your own backyard as the beanch mark for the rest of the world with all the other wonderfull things to explore, **** them, its there loss.

In my younger days as a backpacker i would come across many NZs, many of them just hang shit on everything, ''not as good as NZ'', ''hey'', they would tell me.
What do you say ?? id just roll my eyes and smirk and try to ignore them, but there soo loud!!!!!!

lol, And trust L2 to find a thread thats about bashing other cities, namely Melbourne.
But it is rather what the individual is looking for more than anything, with many of the NZs it was beer tours, drugs and sex parties that turned them on, Amsterdam was the top spot with most i meet, and i agree that its a top city, but i love it for totally different reasons. Everything else apart from the above attractions went un-noticed with them because it was ALL SHIT.

And as for blowing ones trumpet, well, the Kiwis would win GOLD at that sport.
Dockside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #135
MelbourneOnTheRise
JOIN YOUR UNION

Likes (Received): 500

Quote:
And perhaps the lovers for Melb better not visit this thread in the NZ forum "Rubbish places in the world that you've visited."https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=964842
Its all subjective mate...Some people like Melbourne some people don't. Surely, we're not so childish as to take a few emotionally charged opinions seriously or as a personal insult.

I guess the question you should ask yourself is if you hate melbourne as much as you make out on the forum, why do you still live here?
MelbourneOnTheRise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #136
Garmatt

Likes (Received): 463

Yeah...what is the score with you L2?

Were you forced to move down south against your will, or something?

I can proudly say that I've never lived in a city I don't like. Life's too short

Do yourself (and others??) a favour. Leave! Simples!
Garmatt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #137
melburn21
flame on.

Likes (Received): 3057

L2 hates Melbourne?

That would explain why he has never posted a photo, an update or ever added value to the Vic forum...
Old September 28th, 2009, 02:28 AM   #138
Mickeebee

The sooner some retards realise that Melbourne is not sub-tropical and has never claimed to be the better.
We are the southern most mainland capital...of course it's going to get cold FFS.
Old September 28th, 2009, 03:28 AM   #139
Jardoga

Im just sick of people thinking we think Melbourne is top shit and better then everywhere else. I wouldn't move from Melbourne as my family is here and love them to death, so I find all the positives and utilize them, which there is so many! Instead of slandering the city for its negetives, like garmatt said, lifes to SHORT. We are the 2nd most liveable city for a reason!

I have noticed, whether its generalising or not, that many people I know from interstate dont want anything to do Melbourne, and whenever they visit, they do nothing but slam it, and say "well our city has....blah blah blah", "Your summers are so short", "Its way to cold here", "The laneways are so crowded!" and so on .Just as dockside said, its their loss.

But that New Zealand thread really heated me as some of the statements were just plain annoying, and I couldnt help myself.

Last edited by Jardoga; September 28th, 2009 at 03:37 AM.
Old September 28th, 2009, 03:55 AM   #140
Melbourneguy

Likes (Received): 2168

Quote:
When you've finished all that self-stimulus-ing, explain to me one thing. Why is the Docklands area deserted in winter?

If, in addition to the umbrellas and palms, we had some good warm, inviting and comfortable places down there, might survive winter.
Docklands may be deserted but places like Chapel St and Toorak Rd have outdoor dining the year round. In fact it's quite enjoyable having a meal outside when the temperature is low as long as outdoor heating is provided.
Give it a try sometime, you may enjoy it.
Melbourneguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz, melbourne