Projects & Discussions | Transport and Infrastructure - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Western Australia

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 14th, 2009, 02:08 AM   #101
crave
fierce buildings papi.

Location: perth - parkland oasis in tha heat. where building designs look better with lowered expectations.
Likes (Received): 1606

holy crap.

it's finally happening!
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2009, 02:32 AM   #102
jarkti
World's Happiest Person

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarkti View Post
I think this is where it should be ?

Middle Swan Road Upgrades.

[IMG]http://i28.************/1zz1j5d.jpg[/IMG]

The start of the bridge construction
[IMG]http://i29.************/esj8tl.jpg[/IMG]

Some Craneage
[IMG]http://i29.************/2j3l01j.jpg[/IMG]

The new road (soon anyway)
[IMG]http://i27.************/2hnxv9d.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i27.************/9tljrp.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i30.************/2an349.jpg[/IMG]
Crave blocked my photos .. PS. yes it is Crave has been for awhile now since last year? or January?
Old July 14th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #103
jddc7

Likes (Received): 20

Hi all,

Just found this at Perthnow if anyone is interested

PERTH Airport could be linked to the metropolitan rail network after it was listed in the Government's plans for land use over the next 20 years.

The link was listed as an area of potential business and commercial growth in the Directions 2031 report, inmycommunity.com.au reports.

Planning Minister John Day said the Liberal-National Government was preparing a Perth Airport transport master plan, which would consider transport infrastructure, improvements around the airport and respond to the predicted growth in passenger and freight movements.

“Planning is being done to identify route options to connect the airport with the existing rail network and possibly areas beyond the airport,” he said.

“Once an agreed route is identified, this will be protected in the Metropolitan Region Scheme.”

Mr Day said the planning for the rail service was in the preliminary stages and there had been discussions about improving roads around the airport, especially Tonkin Highway.

“This fits within Directions 2031, which highlights the potential of the airport to capitalise on already high levels of activity and access by creating a consolidated business and commercial hub.

“Westralia Airports Corporation, which has the lease for Perth Airport, is required to prepare a Master Plan and Environmental Strategy for the airport and update it on a five-yearly basis.

“The master plan identifies how Perth Airport will respond to current expansion.”

The corporation has recently released the Perth Airport preliminary draft version master plan 2009 for public comment.

Public Transport Authority spokesman David Hynes said the PTA was investigating the potential need for a railway to be built from the existing Midland line at Bayswater to the airport.

“This is part of a major study of Perth Airport transport needs, which is being coordinated by the Department of Planning and funded by the Federal Government," he said.
jddc7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #104
samboy

Likes (Received): 864

The below statement explains a lot of things.

“Westralia Airports Corporation, which has the lease for Perth Airport, is required to prepare a Master Plan and Environmental Strategy for the airport and update it on a five-yearly basis"
samboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 03:09 AM   #105
jarkti
World's Happiest Person

Likes (Received): 808

With a picture to!, An ugly one anyway
[IMG]http://i25.************/29esznm.jpg[/IMG]
Caption: AIRPORT TRAIN: Perth Airport could be linked to the metropolitan rail network after it was listed as an area of potential business and commercial growth in the Directions 2031 report, outlining the Government¿s plans for land use over the next 20 years.

Link aswelll
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...9-2761,00.html
Old July 14th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #106
jddc7

Likes (Received): 20

oops sorry forgot to put link

thanks for that
jddc7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #107
Bullswool
Perthite

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm6299 View Post
That. is. awesome. Have always disliked the 30 minute frequency after the 102 at ~6.45pm. Waiting for a bus for 30 minutes in a thunderstorm and the rain hitting you in the face sideways was never my idea of fun.
I've never had a problem at that time... I just use the timetable to ensure that I don't have to wait long. Though this is awesome, because atm the 102 arrives at Esplanade as the Mandurah Train leaves xD At least now with the 78 I can get a reasonable connection.
Bullswool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #108
hack404

Likes (Received): 1416

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarkti View Post
I think this is where it should be ?

Middle Swan Road Upgrades.

[IMG]http://i28.************/1zz1j5d.jpg[/IMG]

The start of the bridge construction
[IMG]http://i29.************/esj8tl.jpg[/IMG]

Some Craneage
[IMG]http://i29.************/2j3l01j.jpg[/IMG]

The new road (soon anyway)
[IMG]http://i27.************/2hnxv9d.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i27.************/9tljrp.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i30.************/2an349.jpg[/IMG]

That's the Reid Highway Extension - should be finished early next year.
Old July 15th, 2009, 04:26 AM   #109
BartBart
In the sweetspot

Likes (Received): 3139

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=155302

More diagrams/maps in today's paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The West online & in paper
$700m highway to ease slow holiday trips

15th July 2009, 6:00 WST

It is a holiday tradition the million people who visit the South-West each year will be only too happy to farewell.

Within weeks, the traffic jams, red lights and occasional smashes that have marred the journeys of countless holidaymakers should be all but consigned to history.

VIDEO: New Bunbury highway

Replacing the bumper-to-bumper nightmare will be the long-awaited Perth to Bunbury Highway, a 70.5km, $705 million project designed to take 30 minutes off the trip.

The builders, Southern Gateway Alliance, would not give an opening date, saying only that it would be months ahead of the scheduled opening in December and that next month was a chance, though September now was more likely.

With just 16 per cent (about 43,000 tonnes) of asphalt to be laid and other finishing touches to come, much will depend on the weather gods, who have shone kindly on the project so far but could throw a spanner in the works with some untimely downpours in coming weeks.

As The West Australian drove the full length of the nearly-completed highway yesterday — the biggest road project to be completed in one hit in the State — it became clear this would be anything but a road less travelled.

“It will mean that people can drive from the Narrows Bridge all the way to Bunbury on dual carriageway, non stop and without traffic lights,” assistant project director Gerry Hofmann said, standing under one of the 19 bridges. “It will be a terrific boon for the South-West.”

The project is a 32km extension to the Kwinana Freeway and 38.5km of dual carriageway, called the John Forrest Highway, which links the end of the lengthened freeway to the start of the Old Coast Road dual carriageway just south of Lake Clifton.

Computerised surveying using satellite technology revolutionised the construction process and, with the help of fine weather, shaved months off its planned schedule.

With construction crews the only other road users, The West Australian’s sneak peek had the feel of a leisurely drive through the countryside as the 11.7m paved width of asphalt cut a swath through lush green paddocks and over rivers and swollen creeks.

Its proximity to some homes was a reminder of the impact on about 250 rural and residential property owners, some of whom are still negotiating with the State Government over the acquisition of their land. It is hoped that 21km of noise-deadening walls and sound treatments on homes will help limit complaints.

Much work has been done on ensuring the trip is as comfortable as possible for the 30,000 motorists expected to use the road daily.

Water-themed artwork, a feature of the Mandurah lifestyle community leaders had asked to be included along the journey, will undoubtedly turn heads and provide visual relief.

It includes a series of stunning, cone-shaped water “droplets” built by a team led by North Fremantle artist Anne Neil.

Fences to prevent kangaroos and other animals wandering into traffic seemed to be working — blocking two emus trying to get to the other side. Special underpasses have been included to give them a safer path under the highway.

Alannah MacTiernan, the former State Labor minister who got the project off the ground after a five-year funding battle with the former Federal Liberal government, is one person hoping for an invitation to the opening.

If she has her way, the new highway will not be the last project cutting travel times to Bunbury.

Ms MacTiernan said the project had been designed to accommodate a fast railway — something she believed was possible within the next decade.

However, as she pointed out, first things first.

“It was quite clear that the huge growth in Mandurah alone couldn’t accommodate all that traffic, so this project will be wonderful for the State,” Ms MacTiernan said.

“I obviously would have liked to have been there the day the ribbon was cut but it doesn’t always work out that way.”

BEN SPENCER
Old July 15th, 2009, 04:59 AM   #110
Blindfold
I said love, I said pet

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBart View Post
The article states no traffic lights between The Narrows and Bunbury? I always assumed the "at grade" intersections along the John forrest Highway would be signalled?
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #111
Skyline Art
®

Likes (Received): 1413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindfold View Post
The article states no traffic lights between The Narrows and Bunbury?
wow that is good, but maybe there is a round about or two along the far end of the Hwy at Bunbury side...
Skyline Art no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #112
hack404

Likes (Received): 1416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline Art View Post
wow that is good, but maybe there is a round about or two along the far end of the Hwy at Bunbury side...
There aren't roundabouts as such - but there are some interesting solutions to at-grade intersections...
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #113
Bullswool
Perthite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindfold View Post
The article states no traffic lights between The Narrows and Bunbury? I always assumed the "at grade" intersections along the John forrest Highway would be signalled?
Nah they are just normal T-Junctions, with a lot of space in the medians for waiting traffic.
Old July 15th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #114
BartBart
In the sweetspot

Likes (Received): 3139

p6/7 today's West - the extra bits that weren't in the online version:

Quote:
WHAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THE DEVIATION
• 30,000 cars are expected to use it daily
• It has 70.5km of dual carriageway
• 32km is developed to freeway standard
• There is 21km of noise deadening wall
• 22ha of artificially created wetlands have been made
• More than 2000 workers were involved in the project
• About 250 residential properties have been affected
• There are 19 bridges
• There are 15 underpasses for use by kangaroos and other fauna
• Construction began in December 2006
• Completion was originally scheduled for December, but it could be open
as early as next month
• It will reduce travel between Perth and Bunbury by about
30 minutes

Old July 15th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #115
Scrawny

Likes (Received): 594

I'm ready to be proved wrong, but I still can't figure out how they come up with that 30 minutes number, especially if the freeway extension still has a 100kph speed limit.
Scrawny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #116
Bullswool
Perthite

The highway will be 110 though. So when you factor in Old Coast road winding everywhere at 100, and the traffic lights at Mandurah, and the physically shorter distance, it would add up.
Old July 15th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #117
Scrawny

Yep true. I'm probably being pedantic, but I reckon they use that number because it's much easier to justify the money when everyone is saving half and hour as opposed to 20 minutes. Just sound better. Or perhaps they're including traffic jams?
Old July 15th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #118
[email protected]
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

im a noob
GOR@N no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #119
fast_fokker

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrawny View Post
I'm ready to be proved wrong, but I still can't figure out how they come up with that 30 minutes number, especially if the freeway extension still has a 100kph speed limit.
I guess it could even be more than the 30 minutes especially during certain weekends and public holidays, having to navigate through Mandurah etc...

Given the sprawl either side of Mandurah and the steadily reducing speed limits, being able to travel at 100-110 kmh would make the reduction entirely plausible IMHO.
fast_fokker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #120
Scrawny

Yeah and the traffic lights sprouting like mushrooms doesn't help either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
adelaide, beipackzettel, busway, highways, light rail, maglev bus to caboolture, mandurahboyz, max, monorail, perth, rio de janeiro, tunnels