BUS Transport - in Newcastle and the North East - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old November 24th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #101
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Yes, so to is the little paper shop. Not a good idea to cut off the nearest cash point, when people without money and need to travel cannot get to it.
Absolute joke... There's no bank machines in the whole south side of Newcastle City Centre now (except for one at the Centre for Life which always has a massive queue), not good when this is one of the main nightlife districts now, and as you mentioned people might need money for travel!
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #102
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 794

I think away to make Central Station better (apart from taking away the ticket barriers) would be to use the car park to the right and turn it into shops etc. I think say relocating Burger King there, and some additional shops to be added, hopefully a bigger WHSmith, with the ticket office being located where either Burger King now is, or where WHSmith is located at the moment. In my opinion it would make Central Station a more lively location, more econmically healthy, more sociable like stations the size of Newcastle Central are across the country.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #103
jwmacintyre

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow man View Post
Anyone got any photos of the new Central Station barriers?

I havent seen them yet.

Stupidest idea ever, how on earth are people going to access the newsagents and ATM's?

Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; August 6th, 2011 at 09:53 AM.
jwmacintyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #104
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 190

Oh my god, that looks stupid..This is actually quite annoying looking at it. How on earth did this get passed?

I give them a year before they are torn down.

Exactly what is the purpose of them? Reduce crime..reduce fare dodgers etc...?
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #105
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2076

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godscrasher View Post
Oh my god, that looks stupid..This is actually quite annoying looking at it. How on earth did this get passed?

I give them a year before they are torn down.

Exactly what is the purpose of them? Reduce crime..reduce fare dodgers etc...?
To stop anyone getting cash out or buying a paper, it would seem.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #106
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 794

On other news, the ECML has been handed over to the governement today by National Express.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #107
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
On other news, the ECML has been handed over to the governement today by National Express.
The RETURN of "British Railways" (OMG!!!!)
Old November 25th, 2009, 01:33 AM   #108
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1233

the mike ashley school of business, implement schemes like this to save money, only to piss off your customers, who use your services less as a result, meaning you lose more money than you wanted to save in the first place...

Obviously people have to use the station for trains, but i can see others, ie those using the ATMS or grabbing a morning coffee, simply not bothering and taking their money elsewhere.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #109
johnnypd

Quote:
that was a couple of days ago wasnt it? I only think this because the website changed from nationalexpresseastcoast.com to simply eastcoast.co.uk
Old November 25th, 2009, 01:40 AM   #110
Smash17

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
that was a couple of days ago wasnt it? I only think this because the website changed from nationalexpresseastcoast.com to simply eastcoast.co.uk
14th November was the handover, it was brought forward because National Express, well, ran out of money to run it.

And I agree with all the comments above, the barriers are awful.
Smash17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 01:42 AM   #111
Salif

Likes (Received):

Well, I was keen to see segregation between concourse and platforms - but this is a fail

Build the Neville Street concourse and Eastern passageway - it's what John Dobson would have wanted
Old November 25th, 2009, 02:03 AM   #112
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salif View Post
Well, I was keen to see segregation between concourse and platforms - but this is a fail

Build the Neville Street concourse and Eastern passageway - it's what John Dobson would have wanted
Yes, it seems like the 'fabulous days' when Newcastle was building lots and lots of underground tunnels, concourses, stations, escalators, and what-have-you underneath the City Centre (the glorious Metro-building days of the 1970s . . ) have LONG GONE now, unfortunately!

Hey, it was exciting!

I mean, ALL OF THIS, was going on underneath 'Grey's Monument', for example . . .

Old November 25th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #113
The Lambton Worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmacintyre View Post

Stupidest idea ever, how on earth are people going to access the newsagents and ATM's?

Brilliant! Someone else, apart from our council, has a bunch of idiots making decisions.
The Lambton Worm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #114
hollow man

Likes (Received): 25

I hope they have had tons of complaints about the barriers already. I hope that newsagent is up in arms about it too. One thing I always thought was great was how you could just wander around the station. Oh well. Who's decision was it to install these barriers anyway?
hollow man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #115
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
East Coast main line private in two years
THE Government yesterday confirmed it wants the East Coast rail franchise back in private hands within two years – although services could change.

Amid union anger, transport secretary Lord Adonis outlined plans to re-privatise the recently nationalised franchise in November 2011.

Ministers plan to consult on a new franchise specification in the spring and will then invite companies to submit bids next autumn.

An announcement on the winning firm would be made in the summer of 2011 before it starts operations in November of that year.

But the outcome of the general election, expected next May, could alter that timetable if the Tories win.

Last month, shadow rail minister Stephen Hammond said: “I see no reason why we shouldn’t refranchise much quicker for the benefit of passengers.”

In a further development, the Government has also confirmed that the shape of East Coast services – linking the region with London and Scotland – could change. A document outlining initial details of the new franchise said it would be based “substantially” on the present network of services.

But, without giving details, it added: “A number of options are also currently being reviewed by the department. The franchise term is yet to be determined.”

The document also revealed that the franchise made around £670m in passenger-related revenue in 2008-09, but stressed any new firm must have “sufficient” financial backing after previous operator National Express hit cash problems.

The Government also wants to secure “best value” for taxpayers and improve the quality and environmental impact of train services.

RMT general secretary Bob Crow said: “Despite the blatant failures of privatisation on the East Coast, and despite the massive costs and disruption to the taxpayer and the users of the route, the Government has now waded straight back in like compulsive gamblers with plans to take another punt with a private operator in just 18 months’ time.”

He also claimed the “obsession” with rail privatisation would be a massive vote loser for Labour and promised to fight to keep the franchise in public hands.

Liberal Democrat transport spokesman Norman Baker said the franchise should remain in public hands for up to five years to show how services could be run properly for passengers.

“There has been enough chopping and changing on the East Coast Main Line. Both passengers and staff deserve some stability,” he added.
http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-25245278/
TownPlanningNE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #116
Smash17

Quote:
Who's decision was it to install these barriers anyway?
National Express. I believe they had a few planning applications rejected before this layout was (somehow) deemed acceptable.

Interesting to note that after a campaign a similar set of barriers were not installed in York station after people, rightly, said they'd ruin the look of the station and block facilities to local people. Sound familiar?
Old November 25th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #117
hollow man

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash17 View Post
National Express. I believe they had a few planning applications rejected before this layout was (somehow) deemed acceptable.

Interesting to note that after a campaign a similar set of barriers were not installed in York station after people, rightly, said they'd ruin the look of the station and block facilities to local people. Sound familiar?
I think we should campaign to have these removed !!!
hollow man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #118
johnnypd

the barriers are still not active yet as i just went through them a few hours ago.
Old November 25th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #119
Smash17

Quote:
I think we should campaign to have these removed !!!
I'm in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
the barriers are still not active yet as i just went through them a few hours ago.
They've been just sitting there for a few weeks now, I wonder if there's some sort of problem?
Old November 25th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #120
johnnypd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash17 View Post
I'm in!

They've been just sitting there for a few weeks now, I wonder if there's some sort of problem?
i believe it is because they are still fitting the ones on the other side of the ticket office
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buses, metro, newcastle, newcastle transport, roads, train, trains, transport