Calders Yard | Newcastle | 4 Fl to 9 Fl | Dormant - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old January 12th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #81
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2073

Quote:
Originally Posted by novonew47 View Post
I have had a quick read through the documents for the heliport site next door and they have reduced the size of the gardens for the family homes to reduce the chance of contamination and in one paragraph surprisingly they state there are signs of contaminants leeching through the stone wall on skinnerburn road. there are loads of docs on the environment- soil contamination on the planning application, cheers

I have placed a copy of these comments also into the "Heliport Site" thread, for reference on there.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2015, 06:51 PM   #82
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4772

Elswick Lead Works - 2001

I was wandering through some photographs from February 2001 and came across this one which shows the former Elswick Lead Works - now know as Calders Yard.

Image hosted on http://GeordiePhotographs.fototime.c...%20Skinnerburn

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 01:22 AM   #83
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 190

Correct me Steve but this is all flattened now isn't it? (Apart from the Arena)

What was the work down there at the time? I'm fascinated when I drive by the pace and see the old pigeon lofts amongst what would have been heavy industrial.
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2015, 12:47 PM   #84
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godscrasher View Post
Correct me Steve but this is all flattened now isn't it? (Apart from the Arena)

What was the work down there at the time? I'm fascinated when I drive by the pace and see the old pigeon lofts amongst what would have been heavy industrial.
Indeed it is flattened with the exception of the building to the immediate bottom left which is still there - this is the one that borders Skinnerburn Road. These images taken in May 2014

The works was originally Elswick Lead Works, opened in the 18th century and it changed its name to Calder Industrial Materials in 1994 - closed in 2002.

fstopphotographs's channel on YouTube has this slide show of the above building @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob6DqXSG6QE

Another video - this one from Bradley Bolam on YouTube @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA20oLHGCdU

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Godscrasher, novonew47 liked this post

Last edited by Steve Ellwood; January 27th, 2015 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Added further video
Old January 27th, 2015, 08:39 PM   #85
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 3914

Calders Leadworks site - pictures from 27/01/15

Following up on Steve's post with pictures from May 2014 here are some pictures of the site and surrounds (including pigeon lofts mentioned in post above) taken by myself from various locations south of the river on Tuesday 27/01/15 in period approx 1245 - 1345

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 02:50 PM   #86
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

With the potential for new planning permission rules (or lack thereof) for former industrial sites hinted at this week by the government I wonder if we'll finally see some action here. We can only hope so.

Newcastle Historian liked this post
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 12:29 PM   #87
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Calders Yard - 15th August 2015

A view of Calders Green from under Redheugh Bridge, 15th August 2015:

Image hosted on ttps://www.flickr.com/photos/steve-ellwood

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Godscrasher liked this post
Old September 26th, 2015, 12:51 PM   #88
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

Eagle Helicopters site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
This is connected with the Eagle Helicopters Newcastle City Heliport Skinnerburn Road proposal which has been discussed in this thread in the past as:
Hopefully work will commence here soon, it would be good to see something here and on Calder's Yard.

Incidentally on Calder's Yard I noticed that there is an 'all enquiries' sign that Bellway have put up, has that always been there? Does it imply that Bellway are trying to get rid?

Also is the land to the east of the Redheugh Bridge behind the station running up to the back of the new police station part of Calder's Yard? Is this also earmarked for development?
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2015, 01:04 PM   #89
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewcastleStu View Post
Also is the land to the east of the Redheugh Bridge behind the station running up to the back of the new police station part of Calder's Yard? Is this also earmarked for development?
Check out https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=533

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

NewcastleStu liked this post
Old January 24th, 2016, 06:49 PM   #90
Ken O'Heed

Calders Leadworks site - some views of site area 24/01/16

First a screen print of Google Maps image showing the site area with Metro Arena to the north and City Heliport site to the west

Pictures by myself Sunday 24/01/16 approx 1115 except first one as viewed from top of Metro Area external stair

and as viewed from Gateshead side of the Tyne on Saturday 23/01/16 approx 1330 & 1400

See this post from "Regional Road Network" thread for recent emergency repair following part collapse of west wall to building

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1902

KEN

Newcastle Historian liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2016, 05:12 PM   #91
Ken O'Heed

Calders Industrial Materials Ltd (former Elswick Leadworks) building on Skinnerburn Rd, Newcastle in distress - pictures 02/05/16

Hearing on local radio traffic news early on Bank Holiday Monday 02/05/16 about a building problem causing closure of Skinnerburn Rd between Shot Factory Lane and Dunn St took a wander ahead of the rain and took the following pictures around 0945 showing state of the area

By debris on the road looks as if there may be some serious demolition of east end of the building shortly

Looks as if road closure to be in place for some time

Also posted to "Roads Network" thread

KEN
Old May 2nd, 2016, 05:41 PM   #92
minimoog

Likes (Received): 169

Can't see anywhere obvious that brick and stone has spalled off from. Maybe just vandals chucking it off the roof?
minimoog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 01:31 PM   #93
tameracingdriver

Likes (Received): 237

Always amazes me when I walk past there how many park their cars exactly where that rubble lies!
tameracingdriver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 04:11 PM   #94
Ken O'Heed

Calders Industrial Materials Ltd (former Elswick Leadworks) building on Skinnerburn Rd, Newcastle now not in distress - pictures 04/05/16

Further to posts 91 - 93 above

Not hearing on local radio traffic news on Wednesday 04/05/16 about a closure of Skinnerburn Rd between Shot Factory Lane and Dunn St due to building problem made another visit and took the following pictures around 1130 showing state of the area

Debris cleared off the road, road barriers "removed", traffic flowing and as noted above - parked cars

KEN
Old May 4th, 2016, 04:22 PM   #95
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tameracingdriver View Post
Always amazes me when I walk past there how many park their cars exactly where that rubble lies!
Makes you wonder if having seen Ken's photographs that anyone would park their vehicles underneath the derelict building, I certainly wouldn't. However as the road is now reopened and the building not fenced off you have to assume its been checked and given the all clear.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old May 5th, 2016, 09:26 AM   #96
battlefieldjohn
Idle waster.

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Makes you wonder if having seen Ken's photographs that anyone would park their vehicles underneath the derelict building, I certainly wouldn't. However as the road is now reopened and the building not fenced off you have to assume its been checked and given the all clear.
Desperation to park for free leads to people taking the risk.
battlefieldjohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 11:51 AM   #97
David Aspinall

Likes (Received): 143

Ken's fifth picture, posted on the second of May, shows a section of stone wall. The western edge, with the heliport sign, has a large crack, suggesting the front is slipping away. The vertical, at the east, has a slight overhang, which is a big danger sign as it should incline inward ever so slightly. The wall needs buttressing to be made safe. It may last twenty years or it might slip down with a torrential summer downpour. There's a horrible rolling noise when a wall falls, like a giant mill turning.
David Aspinall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 12:12 PM   #98
strandeed

Likes (Received): 124

Time for it to come down before it brings itself down.
strandeed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 12:27 PM   #99
Ken O'Heed

Wall at junction of Dunn St and Skinnerburn Rd, Newcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aspinall View Post
Ken's fifth picture, posted on the second of May, shows a section of stone wall. The western edge, with the heliport sign, has a large crack, suggesting the front is slipping away. The vertical, at the east, has a slight overhang, which is a big danger sign as it should incline inward ever so slightly. The wall needs buttressing to be made safe. It may last twenty years or it might slip down with a torrential summer downpour. There's a horrible rolling noise when a wall falls, like a giant mill turning.
This picture

Some further pictures taken 24/01/16 showing the wall, at junction of Dunn St and Skinnerburn Rd, walls at west end and south west corner of Newcastle Heliport site

Also copied to Heliport thread

KEN
Old June 20th, 2016, 03:54 PM   #100
minimoog

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimoog View Post
Can't see anywhere obvious that brick and stone has spalled off from. Maybe just vandals chucking it off the roof?
Police warn lives are being put at risk by vandals throwing rocks at moving cars in Newcastle

Cars parked on Skinnerburn Road have also been damaged by yobs throwing debris from the derelict lead works site above
minimoog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction, development, developments, forth banks, newcastle, pottery lane, project, project - newcastle area, projects