Rival cities - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2017, 03:44 PM   #61
Smart City

Likes (Received): 689

Well,i can agree with you.And Belgrade is just so diffrent from Budapest that it s another interesting important city on a way to south.But potental for growth is on Belgrade side,just becouse ex yu region wants to have a settlment in this city, gives him much wider market than Budapest.And i say Belgrade is still cultural center for wider region becouse of its isntitutions builded on much larger state before.Recntly more and more rich people wants to buy porperty in Belgrade.So besides Gdp ,we have to compare cultural offer,educational potential,science,transport connections,river advantages,people skills,events capacityes and many more...
Smart City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2017, 11:08 AM   #62
joeyavicii
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1162

Lol Cebu never competes with any city in philippines whether up north nor down south lol jk .

For sure, Cebu is competing with global cities of the world.
joeyavicii no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 04:48 PM   #63
SASH

Likes (Received): 6898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red85 View Post
Not totally true. Rotterdam is way smaller in that case. In what they are bigger? The port. That's massive. But there it stays. Rotterdam has a real 2nd city syndrome. Where the majority of Amsterdammers are just acompanying Rotterdammers, i.e. as a colleague, and keep it with comments, rotterdammers are just pieces of shits.
Always compare their own city with 'they don't do that in Amsterdam'.
He forgets to say that people of Amsterdam are so arrogant and that is the main reason the people of Rotterdam don't like them! As a matter of fact you can see it in what he posted here above. As if Amsterdam is the
center of the universe and the rest, in this case Rotterdam is a piece of shit as he already mentioned.
So yes... "we hate Amsterdam and Ajax!"
SASH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 04:46 PM   #64
Chrissib
Margela Schurkel

Likes (Received): 17739

Quote:
Originally Posted by schorsch View Post
In Germany:

Cologne - Düsseldorf
Munich - Stuttgart
Dresden - Leipzig
Mainz - Wiesbaden
Mannheim - Ludwigshafen
Never heard of the Munich-Stuttgart one. In general you could say that there aren't any rivalries that go beyond a region. Hamburg has some kind of a second-city syndrome and always tries to compare itself with Berlin, but Berlin doesn't really care about Hamburg.
Chrissib no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 07:13 PM   #65
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 14143

Within Canada

Edmonton - Calgary (Alberta rivals)
Saskatoon - Regina (Saskatchewan rivals)
Moncton - Halifax (Maritime rivals)

The Big 3 (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver) are very international in their mindset. They look to other global cities.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; September 6th, 2017 at 07:21 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 12:35 PM   #66
JaksonSmith
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

If we talk about Pakistan then there are two big cities Karachi and Lahore as these cities are considered as rival cities but with giant size, these cities have so many social issues which need to be addressed.
JaksonSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 09:47 AM   #67
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 1170

I don't agree with Canada. Toronto and Montreal have a very healthy rivalry made more intense by the English/French one.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 01:47 PM   #68
a57046d

Likes (Received): 1238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissib View Post
Hamburg has some kind of a second-city syndrome and always tries to compare itself with Berlin, but Berlin doesn't really care about Hamburg.
I know, that some Berliners look down on Hamburg, Hamburg is a successful and prosperous city, whilst Berlin is on way to this status.
There is really kind of rivlary between Munich and Stuttgart, but more in economic terms. The Stuttgart region is a really dynamic powerhouse, same you can say about Munich.
a57046d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 03:51 PM   #69
PinkWho

Likes (Received): 1190

In Mexico besides Mexico City which is the political, cultural and financial capital of the country the second and third city have a bigger rivalry: Guadalajara (cultural) vs Monterrey (economically)
PinkWho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 02:31 PM   #70
gandhi.rushabh1992
amdavad meri jaan

Likes (Received): 11237

Within India:

Mumbai vs Delhi | Financial capital vs Political capital

Bangalore vs Chennai | Vying for the gateway to South India spot

Outside India:

Mumbai vs Karachi | Port cities and respective financial hubs

Delhi vs Lahore | Historical cities with common Punjabi influence

Kolkata vs Dhaka | Brothers from different mothers

alexandru.mircea liked this post
gandhi.rushabh1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2017, 01:47 PM   #71
Copperknickers

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandhi.rushabh1992 View Post
Within India:

Mumbai vs Delhi | Financial capital vs Political capital
Financial and cultural capital. That's a good one as there is a huge contrast between them, with the spacious, flat landscape of Delhi, especially New Delhi, compared to the cramped seaside strip of Mumbai with its famous slums. Delhi has slums too of course but the Mumbai slums are more like favelas. I haven't been to Mumbai unfortunately but Delhi is at once impressive (it's the third most populous city on Earth after all) and also kind of a letdown, as it lacks glamour. I think in some respects Mumbai is more of an 'Indian' city, as Delhi is heavily influenced by the British and Mughal periods in terms of the central areas and monuments, and it feels much more international in an architectural sense, in the sense of having areas which could be confused for America or Australia. Whereas Mumbai could not be confused for anywhere outside of India.

Quote:
Kolkata vs Dhaka | Brothers from different mothers
This is another interesting one. Again, I have been to Kolkata but not Dhaka. Kolkata is crazy, at once Indian but also with a strong British colonial influence. Parts of it feel almost like London (well, London 70 years ago). Kolkata is obviously the home of Tagore and the heart of modern Indian literary accomplishments, and the spiritual capital of Bengal, however in practical terms Dhaka is the political capital of 'Bangladesh' and so some would say it is really the capital of Bengal in cultural terms as most Bengalis are Bangladeshi and West Bengal.

And of course the cities have very serious problems. Kolkata was famous for being perhaps the nadir of developing world urban poverty in the 60s and 70s, with its association with Mother Theresa, and it has sadly recovered only in a very superficial way, with poverty still widespread and true economic development happening very slowly compared to other areas of India. And Dhaka has been called the worst city in the world to live in today, outside of a warzone. I hope things get better for these two cities as Bengalis are among the most amazing people on earth, so friendly and intelligent and laid-back and generous and yet passionate.
Copperknickers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2017, 07:49 PM   #72
d.henney
なのん

Likes (Received): 1063

In Deutschland number 1 rival cities are Köln/Düsseldorf. People there make jokes about the other all the time. ^.^ Other big rivals are Leipzig/Dresden, the 2 leading cities of Sachsen, and Dortmund/Gelsenkirchen, two cities where the most famous things there are the football clubs. The rivalry between the Mainz/Wiesbaden facing each other at a riverside is more local and between slightly smaller cities. There is also the rivalry between the 3 cities in the northern flatland, Hannover/Wolfsburg/Braunschweig, all pretty close to each other.
Old December 3rd, 2017, 04:17 PM   #73
lezgotolondon
No pasaràn

Likes (Received): 2296

In Tuscany every city hates the others, this dates back to the middle age.
It permeates our culture in a funny way.

The biggest and most famous rivalry in Italy is between two tuscan cities: Pisa vs Livorno.

Livorno was the new port of Pisa in the beginning and they are 20km away.
Their football derbies are the most sensible in Italy.

Pisa
[County: 90.000, Urban: 140.000, Metro: 240.000]

A world famous city because due to its Leaning Tower an being the birthplace of Galileo and Fibonacci hosts one of the biggest universities in Italy with 50.000 students, two schools of advanced studies, many facilities of the National Research Council, one of the biggest Hospital in Europe and an intercontinental airport of 5 million pax with regular flights to Doha.

Livorno
[County: 158.000, Metro 170.000]

A big port city. Famous for the fish recipes, communism and the friendly and politically uncorrect manners of its people.

taotao10101 liked this post
lezgotolondon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2017, 02:52 PM   #74
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
I don't agree with Canada. Toronto and Montreal have a very healthy rivalry made more intense by the English/French one.
That's largely a myth. There was a rivalry up until about 1995. By then Toronto had completely usurped Montreal as the nation's principal city. Montrealers became content being the metropolis of francophone America while Toronto turned its gaze first to Chicago (and now elsewhere). Rivalry between Montreal and Toronto has turned to mutual appreciation of the other.

The only rivalry that exists between these two cities today is in hockey. It doesn't exist in football, basketball, baseball, or in any non-sport context.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Jaborandi, Greedy Sheedy liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; December 16th, 2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old December 16th, 2017, 04:00 PM   #75
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 3328

Why is it that I'm looking at HK and Shanghai as rival cities?

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2017, 09:37 PM   #76
taotao10101

Likes (Received): 37

Rival cities

Guangzhou (Canton) and Shenzhen of course.
One hour drive from each other, both are cities with 20 million inhabitants, but Canton and Shenzhen are very different in many aspects. Canton was founded in 211 BC and since then remained the most remote great city of China and a center of maritime trade in the Far East, While Shenzhen didn’t exist 40 years ago but has grown into the city with the absolutely most skyscrapers in the world now. (Canton actually also maintained a record of having the world’s most supertalls for a few years until a few years ago)

Today Canton is the economic and cultural center of Guangdong province, a lot of the habitants speaks Cantonese. While Shenzhen is the Silicon Valley of China, and most of its inhabitants are northern immigrants from mandarin speaking provinces. That means lots of cultural differences. Both city’s modern development benefits greatly from investments and influences of Hong Kong. Together they form the Pearl river delta megapolis, which has nearly 80 million people and is the factory of the world.

Both the citizens of Canton and Shenzhen believes strongly that their own city is better than the other. Just last month Shenzhen announced that its GDP has surpassed Guangzhou, but that’s done by a changing in calculation methods
Canton

Shenzhen

@ http://www.themostperfectview.com/shenzhen-hotel-views/

@ http://edition.cnn.com/style/article...per/index.html

alexandru.mircea liked this post

Last edited by taotao10101; December 17th, 2017 at 11:37 AM.
taotao10101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2017, 01:37 AM   #77
Jaborandi

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
That's largely a myth. There was a rivalry up until about 1995. By then Toronto had completely usurped Montreal as the nation's principal city. Montrealers became content being the metropolis of francophone America while Toronto turned its gaze first to Chicago (and now elsewhere). Rivalry between Montreal and Toronto has turned to mutual appreciation of the other.

The only rivalry that exists between these two cities today is in hockey. It doesn't exist in football, basketball, baseball, or in any non-sport context.
I totally agree with isaidso that there is no longer any perceived rivalry between Montreal & Toronto. Each has its own sphere of influence and there is no need to score points off the other. Everyone I know loves Montreal and are gladdened to see it growing again.

Winnipeg and Hamilton is another matter though. Hamilton is hungry for that #7 spot and is showing significant growth, especially from those looking for an urban alternative to Toronto.
Old December 18th, 2017, 08:22 AM   #78
isaidso
the new republic

Isn't there a 3 way tussle for 7th biggest between Hamilton, Winnipeg, and Quebec City?

Yohja liked this post
Old December 18th, 2017, 11:41 AM   #79
Jaborandi

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Isn't there a 3 way tussle for 7th biggest between Hamilton, Winnipeg, and Quebec City?
Yes, I think you may be right. My money is on the Hammer.
Old December 18th, 2017, 12:41 PM   #80
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 14074

In Canada I'd say Toronto is often viewed as the rival by western cities like Vancouver and Calgary, and I'm not sure that it is a particularly friendly variety. Also Calgary/Edmonton still are rivals. Toronto/Montreal not so much now as it used to be mid 20th century when there was "competition" between the two for supremacy. By now, each city is clearly defined and other than sports I don't think people realistically think in terms of rivalry so much.

My Life Thus Far.... Toronto and beyond
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement