#UNDER C: NEW ABU DHABI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > دار زايـــد United Arab Emirates > Infrastructure and Transport > Infrastructure and Transport

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 5th, 2005, 07:15 AM   #21
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 36

Abu Dhabi unveils plans for new Dh25b airport

Dubai:

Abu Dhabi yesterday announced the development of a new international airport.

Officials said the Dh25 billion project will be located at the north of the existing Abu Dhabi International Airport's runway.

The project, approved yesterday by President His Highness Shaikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, includes a new 4.1km runway, a large terminal building, a cargo and logistics centre, a commercial area incorporating a free zone and associated facilities.

The development is planned in two phases with the first phase, having a capacity to handle 20 million passengers per annum, being scheduled for completion in 2010.

After the completion of the second phase, the airport will be able to handle more than 50 million passengers and over 2 million tons of cargo and will fulfil Abu Dhabi's passenger traffic and cargo transportation needs for another 50 years. The terminal will be equipped to handle the new Airbus A380s.

Shaikh Ahmad Bin Saif Al Nahyan, Chairman of Abu Dhabi Civil Aviation, said: "This project forms a major part of the strategy of comprehensive economic growth now under way in Abu Dhabi and will have a substantial impact on the emirate's future, in particular tourism and aviation sectors."

The airport development project will be handled by a new government entity the Supervision Committee for Expansion of Abu Dhabi International Airport (Scadia) which will hand over the completed airport facility to Abu Dhabi Civil Aviation.

The airport's masterplan has been designed by the US-based Skidmore Owings & Merrill LLP (SOM), which designed Burj Dubai scheduled to be the world's tallest tower. A US company, Parsons International, has been assigned the project management contract.

The present airport, built in the 1970s, will be phased out once the new airport is comes on stream.
Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2005, 07:47 AM   #22
Krazy
Kool Kat

Skidmore Owings designing this airport !? Now Im excited to see a render... someone please contact these guys!
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:50 AM   #23
Krazy
Kool Kat

I have a feeling this new Abu Dhabi airport is going to be as big and good or bigger and better than Dubai's airport.... they have a bigger budget than the current expansion of Dubai's airport so u can say the total cost might be the same.... and on completion, both airports will have the same capacity of passengers per year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2005, 08:01 AM   #24
BinDubai
بـــــ ـدبي ــــــــــن

Likes (Received): 1

budget isn't everything specially in AD when a project costs 10 billion they pay 20 because they don't have control over those companies which puts the rest of the money in their pockets :S unfortunatly ....
but anyway this project will be great for AD specially comparing to the current airport ...
the project will be built on phases and the total cost will be AED 21b not 25 although it doesn't make any difference anyway the project was announced after the rise in prices of raw materials which increased the cost compaired to Dubai's Airport

المناعير
BinDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:01 AM   #25
BinDubai
بـــــ ـدبي ــــــــــن

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy
I have a feeling this new Abu Dhabi airport is going to be as big and good or bigger and better than Dubai's airport.... they have a bigger budget than the current expansion of Dubai's airport so u can say the total cost might be the same.... and on completion, both airports will have the same capacity of passengers per year
Dubai's capacity will be 70m and AD 50m

المناعير
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:12 AM   #26
Krazy
Kool Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinDubai
budget isn't everything specially in AD when a project costs 10 billion they pay 20 because they don't have control over those companies which puts the rest of the money in their pockets :S unfortunatly ....
but anyway this project will be great for AD specially comparing to the current airport ...
the project will be built on phases and the total cost will be AED 21b not 25 although it doesn't make any difference anyway the project was announced after the rise in prices of raw materials which increased the cost compaired to Dubai's Airport
Give me an example of what you're claiming to be going on in Abu Dhabi... also how are you so sure it doesn't happen in Dubai?

BTW.. the capacity for Dubai's Airport after expansion will be 60m as far as I know which isn't that much of a difference. I hope Abu Dhabi proves all the Dubaians wrong who always diss Abu Dhabi and its projects. The choice of the architects for this project is excellent and gives it a head start over Dubai's airport.
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:09 AM   #27
BinDubai
بـــــ ـدبي ــــــــــن

Quote:
Give me an example of what you're claiming to be going on in Abu Dhabi... also how are you so sure it doesn't happen in Dubai?

BTW.. the capacity for Dubai's Airport after expansion will be 60m as far as I know which isn't that much of a difference. I hope Abu Dhabi proves all the Dubaians wrong who always diss Abu Dhabi and its projects. The choice of the architects for this project is excellent and gives it a head start over Dubai's airport.
first of all the capacity will be 70m for Dubai's aireport
second point many examples and this is mostly spoken about between locals so u won't hear about it
also u meant money can be spent more wisely i mean they can build better projects ..
and what makes me sure it doesn't happen in Dubai it that we have somwthing called the contracting union so we don't get prices played with ... and speaking about credit Ad won't claim any .. i mean it's not adding anything new it's simply benefitting from the Dubaianization Effect which is an economical term hehe .. because Dubai has put the region the world map and no one can doubt that now can they ?
anyway it's a great project and it must get built because current AD airport is a shame for our capital ...

المناعير
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #28
PlaneMad
Non-Paying Member

Likes (Received): 181

During my return trip i noticed extensive ground works by a lot of earth movers and bulldozers adjacent to the tarmac.

Also a part of the taxiway has been closed, could this be the interim terminal due to open in jun05?
PlaneMad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:11 AM   #29
BinDubai
بـــــ ـدبي ــــــــــن

Krazy :D

Anticipating the travel demands of the 21st century, the Dubai Department of Civil Aviation commenced a US$540 million expansion program in 1997 which was completed with the opening of the Sheikh Rashid Terminal in 2000. Presently, the second phase of expansion costing US$ 4.1 billion is underway. The expansion includes the construction of Terminal 3, Concourses 2 and 3, a cargo mega terminal, Dubai Flower Centre and a major upgrade of the existing Terminal 2.
Dubai International Airport at present has the capacity to handle 22 million passengers annually. On completion of the expansion programme by 2008, Dubai International Airport will have the capacity to handle over 70 million passengers annually.

Source

المناعير
Old May 5th, 2005, 01:20 PM   #30
Krazy
Kool Kat

$6.8 billion new Abu Dhabi airport wins approval

Abu Dhabi

Plans to build a new international airport in Abu Dhabi took a step forward yesterday with the project being approved by UAE President Shaikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan. The Dh25 billion ($6.8 billion) airport will be located north of the existing Abu Dhabi International Airport's runway.

The project includes a new 4.1km runway, a large terminal building, a cargo and logistics centre, a commercial area incorporating a free zone and associated facilities, said a Gulf News report.

The new airport will handle 50 million passengers per year after the completion of the two-phase development. The first phase, having a capacity to handle 20 million passengers per year, will be completed in 2010, the report said.

The new airport will also handle over 2 million tonnes of cargo and will fulfil Abu Dhabi's passenger traffic and cargo transportation needs for another 50 years. The terminal will be equipped to handle the new Airbus A380s, the report said.

This project is part of the comprehensive economic growth plan now under way in Abu Dhabi and it will have a substantial impact on the emirate's future, in particular tourism and aviation sectors, Shaikh Ahmad Bin Saif Al Nahyan, chairman of Abu Dhabi Civil Aviation, was quoted as saying.

The airport development project will be handled by the Supervision Committee for Expansion of Abu Dhabi International Airport (Scadia), a new body.

The airport's masterplan has been designed by the US-based Skidmore Owings & Merrill LLP (SOM), which designed Burj Dubai scheduled to be the world's tallest tower. A US company, Parsons International, has been assigned the project management contract.

The present airport, built in the 1970s, will be phased out once the new airport is comes on stream.
Old May 6th, 2005, 06:08 AM   #31
Krazy
Kool Kat

New airport to meet future needs

Dubai :

The new Abu Dhabi International Airport will have the provision for a third runway for future needs, government officials said.

The General Civil Aviation Authority is finalising the restructuring of Abu Dhabi and Jebel Ali air spaces, to facilitate aircraft movement in the new airports announced by both the emirates, officials said.

Abu Dhabi, however, is changing for the better fast, which was reflected in the announcement of the development of the Dh25 billion new Abu Dhabi International Airport.

Dr Shaikh Ahmad Bin Saif Al Nahyan, chairman of Abu Dhabi Civil Aviation, said, "The multi-billion dirham project will provide the UAE's capital city of Abu Dhabi with an ultra-modern gateway to the world."

"It represents a major part of the long-term strategy for Abu Dhabi to become one of the leading aviation, tourism and business centres of the region," he said.

"Once completed, the project will also provide a top-quality home base for Etihad, helping it to continue the steady expansion of its operations."

The current airport terminal has reached a saturation point, handling more than 5.2 million passengers a year and needed expansion.

The announcement of the redevelopment of the airport follows the launch of Etihad Airways in late 2003 and the setting up of Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority, which is developing a tourism policy for the emirate that will attract international visitors.

The masterplan falls in line with the government's economic vision. It also includes a facility for Royal Jet, the Abu Dhabi-based business jet operator.

Redevelopment of the airport is the cornerstone for the economic development of Abu Dhabi and will support its continued growth for at least 50 years, said Khalifa Al Mazrouei, chairman of the Supervision Committee for Expansion of Abu Dhabi International Airport, which was created by the Abu Dhabi Government to oversee the development of the new airport.
Old June 1st, 2005, 01:16 PM   #32
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

Likes (Received): 5

Abu Dhabi airport gets go-ahead

Abu Dhabi

Plans to build a new international airport in Abu Dhabi took a step forward last month with the project being approved by UAE President Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan.

The Dh25 billion ($6.8 billion) airport will be located north of the runway of the existing Abu Dhabi International Airport. It includes a new 4.1 km runway, a large terminal building, a cargo and logistics centre, a commercial area incorporating a free zone and associated facilities.
The new airport will handle 50 million passengers every year after the completion of the two-phase development. The first phase, having a capacity to handle 20 million passengers per year, is planned for completion in 2010. It will also handle over 2 million tonnes of cargo and will fulfil Abu Dhabi’s passenger traffic and cargo transportation needs for the next 50 years and will be equipped to handle the new Airbus A380.
“This project is part of the comprehensive economic growth plan now under way in Abu Dhabi and will have a substantial impact on the emirate’s future, in particular tourism and aviation sectors,” said Sheikh Ahmad bin Saif Al Nahyan, chairman of Abu Dhabi Civil Aviation.
The development will be handled by the newly-formed Supervision Committee for Expansion of Abu Dhabi International Airport (Scadia).
The airport’s masterplan has been designed by the US-based Skidmore Owings & Merrill (SOM), which designed Burj Dubai that is designed to be the world’s tallest tower.
US-based Parsons International has been assigned the project management contract. The present airport, built in the 1970s, will be phased out once the new airport comes on stream.
Old June 1st, 2005, 01:39 PM   #33
juiced
go with the flow

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
source for that juiced?
only just noticed this thread again, i read it in gulf news maybe a year ago

I found this http://www.apts-expo.com/ME/page.cfm...=m/goSection=6

and most importantly http://www.ameinfo.com/24673.html scroll to the middle of the article

http://www.ameinfo.com/24815.html
juiced no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 01:39 AM   #34
Krazy
Kool Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiced
only just noticed this thread again, i read it in gulf news maybe a year ago

I found this http://www.apts-expo.com/ME/page.cfm...=m/goSection=6

and most importantly http://www.ameinfo.com/24673.html scroll to the middle of the article

http://www.ameinfo.com/24815.html
the ameinfo article describing ajman airport cracked me up
Old June 30th, 2005, 06:56 AM   #35
Fluppet

Likes (Received): 0

I heard on the radio a few days ago something about building some kind of train to Abu Dhabi Airport. I didn't hear all of it, but they said that it wasn't clear whether it would be linked up to the train between Dubai Airport and Jebal Ali Airport. I'm surprised I didn't read anything about it in the newspapers, etc. Note that they definitely said it was Abu Dhabi International Airport on the radio. Sorry I don't have any more info.
Fluppet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 01:39 PM   #36
fahed
Mr Anti

EDIT

Last edited by fahed; October 26th, 2005 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Wrong pictures
fahed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #37
Fluppet

Likes (Received): 0

Silly fahed!

Last edited by Fluppet; October 27th, 2005 at 10:29 AM.
Fluppet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:40 PM   #38
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

looks good. the location is also quite reasonable.
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:56 PM   #39
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

Likes (Received): 5

did any press release state that it will be located on reclaimed land on the beach?
i never heard or read that

looks nice though
Old October 26th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #40
city of the future
city of the future

Likes (Received): 392

this is the one in Doha not AD! look in the Qatar section
city of the future no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
abu dhabi, airport