#PROJECT: THE WORLD - Page 104 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > دار زايـــد United Arab Emirates > Dubai Projects > Offshore Developments

Offshore Developments Dubai's offshore projects including Palm Jumeirah, Deira Islands, Palm Jebel Ali and The Waterfront

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2019, 09:49 AM   #2061
Kyll.Ing.

Likes (Received): 5736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
If you maybe knew how it looked before you would understand!
Unless you are referring specifically to the development of six of the Europe islands, I'm afraid I don't get what you mean. I think the archipelago as a whole has changed very little since it was completed. Here's a picture of "The World" posted January 13, 2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
More villas/hotels on the southern most island

Off Dubai en route to Bahrain on board Cathy Pacific A330 by Plane Spotting Freak, on Flickr
Same place, 2009, courtesy of Wikipedia:

With the caveat that most of North America is clouded on the latest picture, I don't see any significant change. Some of the islands in South America have been linked together, as have some of the Europe islands. According to this Wikipedia picture, the latter must have happened sometime in or before 2010.

Google Earth also has a "historic pictures" function that lets you compare the view from several different times going all the way back to 2001. Granted, there's not much to see until 2009, but there's a slider you can draw back and forth to compare satellite pictures taken at dozens of different dates between then and now, and I see next to no change to the islands between the picture dated April 2, 2010 and the one dated July 14, 2018. The most significant bit is the Italy island changing shape at some point in 2016, but "The World" in 2019 looks pretty darn identical to "The World" in 2009. Aside from the development on the European islands, there doesn't seem to have been any notable changes over the past nine years.
Kyll.Ing. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2019, 12:00 PM   #2062
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 40792

I am not going to go into a debate over nothing .. he simply meant Erosion, islands are sinking, you would know that if you know how they looked like before.

My Instagram: ucd_dxb
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2019, 04:58 PM   #2063
Sniper-squeak
Engineer

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyll.Ing. View Post
Did it ever? Granted, there has been some erosion, but the islands always looked pretty much like that.
No, I think there has been a fair bit of erosion over the many years that these islands have been left 'untouched'. It's as if the 'continents' are returning to their original form that they were many millions of years ago, Pangaea

Either way, it never looked impressive, especially when compared to the CGI renders!
Sniper-squeak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2019, 07:05 PM   #2064
Kyll.Ing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-squeak View Post
No, I think there has been a fair bit of erosion over the many years that these islands have been left 'untouched'. It's as if the 'continents' are returning to their original form that they were many millions of years ago, Pangaea

Either way, it never looked impressive, especially when compared to the CGI renders!
I think I see where you're coming from, but even the 2010 pictures have the island looking somewhat "blurry", like pieces of butter melting in hot water. Here's even one from 2007. And try as I might, I can't really find any single islands that look notably different in the 2010 and 2018 pictures (save for Italy, which was heavily modified, and Chile, whose islands were linked together). If you have a specific example, could you point it out?

Compared to the renders, though, things definitely look different. For a start, I think the CGI renders assumed there would be some sort of development going on on most of the islands. Given that each owner would be free to develop their island independently of any other, I wonder why nobody did anything yet? According to the Wikipedia article, most of the islands were indeed sold, so they would be outside the developer's responsibility. Did all the buyers buy their islands with the intent of selling them on to somebody else? In that case, I'd understand why they're not building anything, the same way a blank canvas is worth more than a canvas with some paint stains on it. But that couldn't be true of every island, could it? Has really only Lebanon Island (and Schumacher island) ended up in the hands of somebody who would build anything until Kleindienst came knocking? I'd really like to hear the full story of these islands one day.

GeneratorNL liked this post
Old January 20th, 2019, 10:40 AM   #2065
The-King

Likes (Received): 949

very good analysis of the situation Kyll.Ing, couldn't have said it any better!
The-King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2019, 12:38 PM   #2066
Kyll.Ing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-King View Post
very good analysis of the situation Kyll.Ing, couldn't have said it any better!
Not much of an analysis, more of a question. Or summing up the unknowns. I wish I knew enough to make any conclusions, but alas. Hopefully others can help here.
Old January 21st, 2019, 09:37 AM   #2067
The-King

what you said is probably very close to what is actually happening, the islands were never built according to the photorealistic renders, that is why they have never looked like these renders and will never look like them.

The islands have never been vibro compacted and they all dont have breakwaters or quay walls that is why natural currents will cause a shifting in sand along the unprotected beaches. Islands joining together is exactly that, it is a process that could be reversed or accepted, depends on what you want to build on your island.

Actual erosion, defined as land sinking back into the ocean and disappearing, is really hard to spot anywhere on the world. What we see as of now is more a change of shape and a 'shallowing' of the island shores and natural currents working with the sand.

If you want to see actual erosion you should have a look at the unfinished crescent island of Palm Deira, that islands is really disappearing.

Kyll.Ing. liked this post
Old January 31st, 2019, 03:22 PM   #2068
A7R

Likes (Received): 946

Took this today as it was a pretty clear day in Dubai. Does anyone know what project this is? The islands are Coronation/Clarence according to google, and there was some mention of Seven Tides as the developer

Larger size:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7917/4...5661651a_o.jpg

BinSuroor, The-King, firoz bharmal, Scion liked this post
A7R no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2019, 10:29 AM   #2069
The-King

Coronation/Clarence Island belongs to Seven Tides indeed, they basically bought Antarctica and most of South America, right now they are setting up show homes on Coronation/Clarence to be launched later on, there is an article about it: https://www.arabianbusiness.com/cons...lands-contract

A7R liked this post
Old February 13th, 2019, 02:06 PM   #2070
DubaiDunk
Greatest film ever made

Likes (Received): 3715

Bit of a long shot (literally).

----------------------------------------------------------------
Don't take anything I say seriously!

firoz bharmal, GeneratorNL liked this post
DubaiDunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2019, 02:56 PM   #2071