SACRAMENTO - Sacramento Republic MLS Stadium - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Proposed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2019, 08:33 PM   #81
amadora2700

Likes (Received): 895

Major League Soccer is set to add a fourth team to the state of California, and an announcement could come soon. Just weeks after awarding a franchise to the city of St. Louis, MLS is expected to do the same for the city of Sacramento, sources tell CBS Sports.

"It's 100 percent done. They would begin play in 2022," a source told CBS Sports.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/new...expected-soon/

aquamaroon, EPA001 liked this post
amadora2700 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2019, 04:07 AM   #82
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 1407

aquamaroon, EPA001 liked this post
The Game Is Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 01:36 PM   #83
Aberdeen1903

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadora2700 View Post
Major League Soccer is set to add a fourth team to the state of California, and an announcement could come soon. Just weeks after awarding a franchise to the city of St. Louis, MLS is expected to do the same for the city of Sacramento, sources tell CBS Sports.

"It's 100 percent done. They would begin play in 2022," a source told CBS Sports.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/new...expected-soon/
Been obvious this would happen for a while, not sure why it's taken so long.
Aberdeen1903 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 09:43 AM   #84
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 2164

Report was later refuted by the league: https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-le...-bid-finalized

Probably still happening, just still in progress.
Old September 25th, 2019, 08:52 AM   #85
The Game Is Up

Sacramento takes big step toward MLS stadium; What you need to know

https://www.kcra.com/article/sacrame...rnia/29216119#

5portsF4n, GunnerJacket, EPA001 liked this post
Old October 16th, 2019, 12:36 PM   #86
amadora2700

The Sacramento Bee is reporting that Sacramento has been awarded a MLS franchise and the official announcement will come on Monday the 21st.

Chevy114 liked this post
Old October 18th, 2019, 01:41 AM   #87
The Game Is Up

EPA001 liked this post
Old October 18th, 2019, 02:01 AM   #88
BoulderGrad

Ah, the old "The new soccer stadium will drive development!" chestnut.

Look no further than Chester, PA or Harrison, NJ or Bridgeview, IL or Commerce City, CO or Houston TX, etc for how well that goes. Having a soccer stadium is a nice amenity for a DT, but don't expect it to be the thing that drives houses being built or attracts restaurants/retail/jobs to the area.

This is the cart, not the horse. That development generally happens on its own and is driven by jobs/transport options in the area (again, see Harrison, NJ), and the stadium should follow it to help boost the crowd (see Columbus' new stadium, and Minnesota's new stadium).

I'm sure this stadium will do fine, but unless the owner is doing the development themselves, or the area is already built up, don't expect much in the way of new development around the stadium.

aquamaroon liked this post
BoulderGrad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 04:02 AM   #89
ielag

Likes (Received): 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post

I'm sure this stadium will do fine, but unless the owner is doing the development themselves, or the area is already built up, don't expect much in the way of new development around the stadium.
Burkle is doing the development. Downton Sacto is booming right now. There'd be plenty of developers vying for this property if there wasn't a stadium going there.

https://www.curbed.com/2019/9/3/2083...ment-railyards
ielag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 04:22 AM   #90
5portsF4n

Likes (Received): 1285

Quote:
Originally Posted by ielag View Post
Burkle is doing the development. Downton Sacto is booming right now. There'd be plenty of developers vying for this property if there wasn't a stadium going there.

https://www.curbed.com/2019/9/3/2083...ment-railyards
Exactly. I'd be willing to bet Burkle got on board in no small part because of the land.
5portsF4n no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 07:53 AM   #91
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 259

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadora2700 View Post
The Sacramento Bee is reporting that Sacramento has been awarded a MLS franchise and the official announcement will come on Monday the 21st.
This isn't fake news again, is it?
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 04:54 PM   #92
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 5068

Quote:
Look no further than Chester, PA or Harrison, NJ or Bridgeview, IL or Commerce City, CO or Houston TX, etc for how well that goes. Having a soccer stadium is a nice amenity for a DT, but don't expect it to be the thing that drives houses being built or attracts restaurants/retail/jobs to the area.
I'm by no means a stadium apologist and normally am with you in these discussions. Field of Schemes does an excellent (though sometimes over-the-top) job accounting for how such venues fall way short of their economic devlopment promises. However, it should be noted that the Harrison and Commerce City scenarios are essentially the team owners' own doing because the supposed anchor development to come was to be their own. The communities can gripe but those owners are the ones who failed to fulfill the visions for their respective districts.

As for Houston I think the area will come along fine. Like many areas the recession played its part on stifling development plus the city has had to deal with some tough rebuilding after hurricanes. No way that part of town stays derelict, I say.

I think in the case of SacTown the benefit is that the venue will be in an area that is already growing and more closely matches the conditions considered ideal for drawing fans. They're less trying to be the catalyst as much as they are simply contributing to an area's revitalization.

EPA001 liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 12:31 PM   #93
amadora2700

Major soccer announcement in Sacramento: livestream on Monday at 2:30ET October 21

MLS Commissioner Don Garber will be in attendance on Monday for "a major soccer announcement" scheduled for 2:30 pm ET. The event will be streamed on MLSsoccer.com.

Garber will be joined by leadership from Sacramento Republic FC, the Mayor of Sacramento Darrell Steinberg

GunnerJacket, EPA001 liked this post
Old October 21st, 2019, 12:48 PM   #94
5portsF4n

Likes (Received): 1285

I wonder what it could be.

GunnerJacket, Chevy114 liked this post
5portsF4n no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 09:48 PM   #95
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 943

aquamaroon, GunnerJacket liked this post
CaliforniaJones no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 10:47 PM   #96
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 4422

Sacramento Republic FC Approved as MLS Expansion Team

Quote:
Sacramento Republic FC has officially been approved as an MLS expansion team, with plans announced Monday for a 2022 launch.

Billionaire Ron Burkle will serve as lead investor in the club. He will be joined in the ownership group by a contingent that includes entertainment executive and producer Matt Alavarez, as well as Kevin Nagle, a local business leader who is an investor in the Sacramento Kings and Republic.

At the center of Sacramento’s bid is the plan for a new $300-million, 20,100-seat soccer-specific stadium that will be constructed as part of the downtown Railyards District development project. The stadium is being positioned as the anchor of a slate of amenities that is expected to include a Kaiser Permanente medical campus, housing, retail, theaters, parks, museums, and a hotel.
https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2019...xpansion-team/

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Benn liked this post
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 11:48 PM   #97
nikefutbolero

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Ah, the old "The new soccer stadium will drive development!" chestnut.

This is the cart, not the horse. That development generally happens on its own and is driven by jobs/transport options in the area (again, see Harrison, NJ), and the stadium should follow it to help boost the crowd (see Columbus' new stadium, and Minnesota's new stadium).

Look no further than DOCO in Sacramento after Golden 1 Arena was built to refute all your points.

What once was a dead zone, is now a thriving entertainment district with movies/bars/restaurants/a new hotel/condo tower, and shopping.

And it's not stopping, There are more restaruants set to open with more shops and another hotel. all because of the Arena.
nikefutbolero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 12:30 AM   #98
BoulderGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikefutbolero View Post
Look no further than DOCO in Sacramento after Golden 1 Arena was built to refute all your points.

What once was a dead zone, is now a thriving entertainment district with movies/bars/restaurants/a new hotel/condo tower, and shopping.

And it's not stopping, There are more restaruants set to open with more shops and another hotel. all because of the Arena.
I'm respectfully calling B.S. on the two bolded items.

Here's the area in 2011 before the arena was built: https://goo.gl/maps/TVmof7YJKy192bRr5

And here's the area in 2019 after the arena was built: https://goo.gl/maps/LoGqM3xxX1vLXXBx9

Looks like it already had a lot of buildings, and minus the one tower on the mall land, I'm not seeing a whole lot new after the arena was built.

The area you're describing is the center of downtown Sacramento. It was already pretty built up. And in recent years, there's been quite the shift of jobs and people back into US downtowns with or without downtown stadiums. Mostly it replaced a dying mall.

Don't get me wrong, indoor arenas do do a much better job at "revitalizing" formerly dormant areas. They host events on many nights per year (usually at least 100-150 nights out of the year), which is a lot of people returning to an area of the city (Capital One Arena, Formerly MCI Center in DC did a lot to bring life back to DC's Chinatown). But there's two things wrong with applying that to the soccer stadium:

#1: The "revitalization" is mostly just filling existing retail, not actually driving all new development. i.e. A developer doesn't build 10 skyscrapers just because the arena was built. Rather where the skyscrapers are getting built (or have already been built), an arena can help them get more restaurants and bar tenants.

#2: A soccer stadium doesn't host anywhere near the same amount of events as an indoor arena, so the "revitalizing" affect from a soccer stadium is much less so.

So how can you expect something that doesn't really drive all that much development in the first place to suddenly draw a whole new neighborhood full of buildings on this: https://goo.gl/maps/irnxPnCiGHRSgfDs7
While hosting far fewer events?

Even still, it sounds like the new owner has grand plans to build up the area. But in general, those kinds of real estate deals are meant to pay for the stadium rather than expecting the stadium to suddenly raise demand for housing. Cart and Horse and such. And we'll see if he actually follows through on them (see Philadelphia Union and Chester PA).

Last edited by BoulderGrad; October 22nd, 2019 at 12:37 AM.
BoulderGrad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 01:17 PM   #99
amadora2700

Capacity 20,100

5portsF4n, Benn, GunnerJacket, aquamaroon liked this post
Old October 22nd, 2019, 06:04 PM   #100
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 5068

I hope they do well, that the potential rivalry with San Jose become real and strong, and that the Cascadian teams enjoy having another close-in road trip. I'm hopeful and bullish for this franchise.
Advertisement