LAS VEGAS - T-Mobile Arena (19,000) - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 1st, 2014, 09:54 PM   #101
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 24742

http://www.arenalasvegas.com/about/v...struction.aspx

EPA001 liked this post
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2014, 10:00 PM   #102
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2415

What are the concrete pillars for?
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2014, 10:23 PM   #103
Benn

Likes (Received): 240

Looks like elevator/service cores (shaft space for HVAC and other systems to get up and down), also might have fire stairs in a couple of them. Big concrete cores like the are also useful too lateral brace the structure.
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #104
NatFan9

Likes (Received): 538

Aren't most sporting venue surfaces below grade? At the very least the actual surface would be below grade so they could have the proper ice cooling equipment below ground. I guess what I'm trying to say is why is there no hole in the ground when I look at the arena webcam?
NatFan9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #105
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 24742

http://www.arenalasvegas.com/about/v...struction.aspx

Lakeland, EPA001 liked this post
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 05:59 AM   #106
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatFan9 View Post
Aren't most sporting venue surfaces below grade? At the very least the actual surface would be below grade so they could have the proper ice cooling equipment below ground. I guess what I'm trying to say is why is there no hole in the ground when I look at the arena webcam?
Only other sporting venue that I know of that doesn't have its playing surface below grade is Madison Square Garden, and that's only because the arena is sitting above a theater and a railway station; its playing area is a few floors above grade.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.

Last edited by Jim856796; November 10th, 2014 at 07:56 AM.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 10:40 AM   #107
JmSepe
Nobel Prize Laureate

Likes (Received): 254

Anyone with the perspective? It's good to see Vegas improve these days.

You can also find me in simtropolis, sc4devotions, anime-manga forum, the blue knight forum, mangafox, archives of our own, fanfiction, tumblr, blogspot, instagram, facebook and twitter.
JmSepe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 06:01 PM   #108
Benn

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
Only other sporting venue that I know of that doesn't have its playing surface below grade is Madison Square Garden, and that's only because the arena is sitting above a theater and a railway station; its playing area is a few floors above grade.
The TD Garden (also on top of a train station) also has an elevated surface. The Target Center (on top of a large fitness center), Palace of Auburn Hills and Bradley Center all have courts at about street level. I am sure there are a few more NBA/NHL arenas configured like this, which might have to do with excavation costs depending on local soil, architectural desire for a taller form, desire to put some other function under the arena, or water table issues. It's nice for ADA reasons to put the main concourse at street level, and keeping the height of the building down make the arena feel are primary reasons for putting the court/ice below grade (as well as naturally insulating the below grade portion of the building).
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 03:49 AM   #109
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 4798

NHL meeting with potential owners for Las Vegas expansion team

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...233457378.html
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 03:50 AM   #110
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

LAS VEGAS - AEG/MGM Arena (19,000)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
NHL meeting with potential owners for Las Vegas expansion team

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...233457378.html

Well, you know this is big news because the NHL has previously stated that they want to wait to expand for a few years. But, like the NFL, it looks like they're taking a more aggressive look into a place like Las Vegas.

And given the geographic position of a city like Salt Lake City that should be a place worth exploring for an expansion
Old November 13th, 2014, 03:57 AM   #111
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 281

I wonder what arena they will play in, I think theres another one thats going to be built, stupid but it is what it is.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 03:59 AM   #112
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
I wonder what arena they will play in, I think theres another one thats going to be built, stupid but it is what it is.

Given his connection to the NBA, it's likely that'll be primarily For the NBA
Old November 13th, 2014, 06:08 AM   #113
pudgie_child

Likes (Received): 52

I wonder if those four large shafts are also supercolumns?

Here is an image of the interior with what may be a supercolumn in the corner:

pudgie_child no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 07:29 AM   #114
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
Given his connection to the NBA, it's likely that'll be primarily For the NBA
NBA isnt touching Vegas though
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 08:14 AM   #115
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

LAS VEGAS - AEG/MGM Arena (19,000)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
NBA isnt touching Vegas though

Yeah I don't disagree with you but others in Vegas seem to be trying to touch the NBA, like as of last month: http://m.reviewjournal.com/business/...-nba-las-vegas

Last edited by Buffaboy; November 13th, 2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old November 13th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #116
jbradway

Likes (Received): 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
Yeah I don't disagree with you but others in Vegas seem to be trying to touch the NBA, like as of last month: http://m.reviewjournal.com/business/...-nba-las-vegas
The NBA wants nothing to do with anything related to the Maloofs. So if the NHL is desperate enough to allow the Maloofs to own a hockey team, then the NBA will never consider being in the same arena.

The Maloofs have the same "never again" level of respect with the NBA as Donald Sterling and George Shinn.
jbradway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2014, 02:14 AM   #117
Lakeland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradway View Post
The NBA wants nothing to do with anything related to the Maloofs. So if the NHL is desperate enough to allow the Maloofs to own a hockey team, then the NBA will never consider being in the same arena.
The NHL is always desperate enough to do something like this. When it fails they will find a way to get the city to subsidize the team.

What it Would Mean if the NHL Drops the Puck in Las Vegas
Quote:
Of course, local support is critical to the success of any pro franchise, but Las Vegas is a unique market where a significant chunk of the workforce works at night. While Daly was quick to point out this obstacle, Don Logan, the longtime 51s president and COO, says tourists could make up for the loss of third-shift locals. But Logan sees another, more subtle speed bump: Corporate sponsors like Anheuser-Busch are already dumping significant money here, both in the resorts and their existing arenas.

Assuming Bud and MGM can square it up, the next logical question is: Where might Las Vegas land on the NHL attendance spectrum? Near Chicago, Detroit and Toronto, which average 20,000 fans per game? Or closer to the Florida Panthers, where less than 9,000 people a night can clearly hear the sounds Roberto Luongo makes when he stands on his head. According to the most recent Harris Poll on sports, 5 percent of people say hockey is their favorite sport. That translates to roughly 90,000 puck die-hards in the Valley. If they all attend two games a year, that’s about 4,400 per night, or about what the Wranglers averaged during their 2013 season. That’s a big burden for casual and tourist fans to carry.

The Maloofs sold the Sacramento Kings for more than $500 million, and Foley is worth north of $600 million. They’re equipped to handle the $400 million expansion fee, a reasonable price to pay to go down as the group that finally brought pro sports here. If they close the deal, let’s hope they’re wise enough to adopt the Wranglers’ smartest tradition: an annual midnight game to accommodate our hockey-loving swing-shift souls.

djole13 liked this post
Lakeland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2014, 02:23 AM   #118
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 2208

Vegas doesn't make sense for an NHL team.

Quote:
the break-even level of local fandom for a profitable franchise was about 300,000 to 400,000 fans. According to our estimates, Quebec City, the former home of the Nordiques, has about 530,000 NHL fans
Quote:
Teams in markets with fewer than 300,000 hockey fans, however, have tended to lose money, and that’s where the wisdom of adding franchises in Seattle and (especially) Las Vegas gets iffy. We estimated that Seattle contains about 240,000 NHL fans — fewer than that of Phoenix and Florida’s Tampa Bay, home to two franchises that have struggled to turn a profit for many years. And if Seattle is an enigmatic choice by this metric, Las Vegas would be a disaster. According to our estimates, there are only 91,000 hockey fans in the Vegas media market, which is nearly 40 percent fewer than even Nashville, Tennessee, the least-avid current NHL city, has.
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/h...nt-make-sense/

Lakeland liked this post
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2014, 08:46 PM   #119
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

For a city of only ~65000 residents and a region of ~200000, Utica seems to be able to hold on to its AHL team, selling out their 3000 seat arena on a consistent basis. They just played in the largest indoor game in world history and lost, and are going to host an All Star game in the city. I still scratch my head sometimes wondering how it's possible.

Interesting metrics, for starters I think they need to bring teams back to Hartford and Quebec City. How sustainable Vegas is I don't know.
Old November 26th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #120
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
some of those percentages are straight bunk

Milwaukee 4%? MSP 11%?

NatFan9 liked this post
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement