Threads about Harlow Town in Essex. - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Forum Issues

Forum Issues For suggestions, feedback, questions and other business.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 7th, 2019, 12:49 AM   #1
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2041

Threads about Harlow Town in Essex.

I was very surprised to discover that "Harlow Town" (one of the UKs original 'New Towns') has almost NEVER been mentioned over all the years, here on SSC!

OK, it could be said that if people had been interested in the town and/or if interesting developments had been happening there, then it probably would have been mentioned. That's how it works, isn't it?

However, I know the place well, and I am certain that there have been developments happening there that, for some reason, have gone un-reported here on SSC, so to that end I have just set up a "Harlow Town Thread" over on the newly re-organised South East England Forum (Home Counties Sub-forum) . . .

HARLOW | Projects, Construction, News, History
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2185608

Simply because the place has been ignored on SSC for so long, I felt the new thread deserved a little bit of 'initial publicity' (here on 'Forum Issues') to help it along, till people get used to it being there.

So, if you are interested in Harlow Town, please join us on the above thread!

RalphGuy liked this post
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2019, 03:59 PM   #2
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 1052

Interestingly, few of the new towns of the UK receive coverage on this forum. Do any have seriously tall buildings, or are they deliberately not permitted so as to keep their visible profile low, and to maintain a small residential neighbourhood community feel?

I do not know Harlow at all, I am only familiar with Crawley in West Sussex, which is highly successful economically due primarily to its proximity to Gatwick airport and its road connections (M23/M25). However, architecturally, it has a very dull commercial centre whose architecture is typical of British 1950s-60s modernism, but to my knowledge does not really dynamic or has the mixed urban life of an older city. Is Harlow much the same?

RalphGuy, Newcastle Historian liked this post
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2019, 05:07 PM   #3
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4513

Telford has been a busy thread over the years on the Birmingham forum but other than, I'm struggling to think of a new town which sees a lot of love on the UK forum. There may well be one I don't know of. Neither Tamworth or Redditch have received much attention on the Birmingham forum over the years.

Newcastle Historian liked this post
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2019, 07:15 PM   #4
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
Interestingly, few of the new towns of the UK receive coverage on this forum. Do any have seriously tall buildings, or are they deliberately not permitted so as to keep their visible profile low, and to maintain a small residential neighbourhood community feel?

I do not know Harlow at all, I am only familiar with Crawley in West Sussex, which is highly successful economically due primarily to its proximity to Gatwick airport and its road connections (M23/M25). However, architecturally, it has a very dull commercial centre whose architecture is typical of British 1950s-60s modernism, but to my knowledge does not really dynamic or has the mixed urban life of an older city. Is Harlow much the same?

Harlow doesn't have many really tall buildings, but that should not have inhibited discussion on SSC, it has been a very long time indeed since this place concentrated on Skyscrapers.

You can see examples of Harlow's architecture in the various books listed on the Harlow Thread, but for copyright reasons I have not shown photos from the books. Some can be seen on the 'book covers' though.

New Town coverage, with a few exceptions, is quite rare on SSC. If you click on the "new towns" TAG at the bottom of the Harlow Thread, and this thread, you will see the few that are covered, though there could be others that do not have the TAG.

The new towns 'tagged' are . . .

HARLOW
MILTON KEYNES
CRAMLINGTON
KILLINGWORTH
TELFORD
WASHINGTON
and
PETERBOROUGH.

So, not many!
Old July 11th, 2019, 06:31 PM   #5
iheartthenew
*THEIYR'RE

Likes (Received): 3647

To answer the OP, yes I've heard of it. Harlow isn't the most exciting or prominent place, even compared to other new towns...

And that list of new towns is missing:

Newton Aycliffe
Peterlee
Basildon
Bracknell
Corby
Crawley
Cumbernauld
Cwmbran
East Kilbride
Glenrothes
Hemel Hempstead
Livingston
Redditch
Skelmersdale
Stevenage
Runcorn
Washington
iheartthenew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 10:25 PM   #6
RalphGuy

NH, I think most people have heard of Harlow but very few know anything about it. Although you can say the same about Telford, Redditch and many other New Towns.
Old July 14th, 2019, 09:56 PM   #7
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Harlow doesn't have many really tall buildings, but that should not have inhibited discussion on SSC, it has been a very long time indeed since this place concentrated on Skyscrapers.

You can see examples of Harlow's architecture in the various books listed on the Harlow Thread, but for copyright reasons I have not shown photos from the books. Some can be seen on the 'book covers' though.

New Town coverage, with a few exceptions, is quite rare on SSC. If you click on the "new towns" TAG at the bottom of the Harlow Thread, and this thread, you will see the few that are covered, though there could be others that do not have the TAG.

The new towns 'tagged' are . . .

HARLOW
MILTON KEYNES
CRAMLINGTON
KILLINGWORTH
TELFORD
WASHINGTON
and
PETERBOROUGH.

So, not many!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthenew View Post
To answer the OP, yes I've heard of it. Harlow isn't the most exciting or prominent place, even compared to other new towns...

And that list of new towns is missing:

Newton Aycliffe
Peterlee
Basildon
Bracknell
Corby
Crawley
Cumbernauld
Cwmbran
East Kilbride
Glenrothes
Hemel Hempstead
Livingston
Redditch
Skelmersdale
Stevenage
Runcorn
Washington

My list is only of those towns that have their own "tagged" SSC Thread, that I was able to find.
Old July 14th, 2019, 10:00 PM   #8
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
NH, I think most people have heard of Harlow but very few know anything about it. Although you can say the same about Telford, Redditch and many other New Towns.

Yes, I hoped (still hope) that the above title ("has anyone heard of . . ") would attract people to post here, then maybe on the actual Harlow Thread in the 'Home Counties Sub-forum' as well.

Time will tell . . .
Old July 30th, 2019, 07:41 PM   #9
citybus

Likes (Received): 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
Hemel had a 20 storey office building- The Kodak building- since converted to flats. Arguably it was better off in its original white concrete than the blue cladding of today
citybus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2019, 07:47 PM   #10
citybus

Likes (Received): 282

And I suspect that the majority of people don't know the projects & construction pages exist, it's a bit of a no mans land.
citybus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2019, 08:22 PM   #11
RalphGuy

citybus, check out the South East forum. It's totally changed. Arch Wright is doing a fabulous job and it will help attract more people to the forum.

Bear Would Ian liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
new towns