LIVERPOOL - Anfield Stadium (54,074 - 60,000) - Page 665 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Proposed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2019, 02:26 PM   #13281
actionhank

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Dan View Post
I think LFC should write a letter of apology and give 1 gazillion pounds.
To every person still alive who was affected and was living in the area when Anfield football ground was built in 1884!
Wouldn't that have been Everton then?

We are off the hook

Demolition Dan, scornish liked this post
actionhank no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2019, 04:30 PM   #13282
jts1882

Likes (Received): 17656

This map by Bacon is dated 1885. It looks like Anfield was built on the edge of the built up area and all the houses east of Anfield and north of Goodison are more recent additions.

https://historic-liverpool.co.uk/old...78.225/-62.007
Old September 15th, 2019, 06:58 PM   #13283
Macred

Likes (Received): 1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooly View Post
Maybe not battle lines being drawn, but an idea of what might be needed.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news...oken-16913865?

A rail link won't stop people pissing in your garden though. For that you need a remodelling of the streets and how people get to and from the ground, with places to stop off in between.
Not saying it does not happen but never seen it. I suspect people stumbling out of boozers will do that anyway... answer dont live near a boozer. If it is a thing, let's see some video evidence and send it to the club.

Demolition Dan liked this post
Macred no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2019, 08:13 PM   #13284
Wooly

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macred View Post
Not saying it does not happen but never seen it. I suspect people stumbling out of boozers will do that anyway... answer dont live near a boozer. If it is a thing, let's see some video evidence and send it to the club.
Really? Definitely happens. Men and loads of beer. They had the same issues in Highbury, probably still do. Mate of mine used to live close by the ground there.

lyonsdown 2.0 liked this post
Wooly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 01:01 AM   #13285
BeeGee

Likes (Received): 837

Quote:
Really? Definitely happens. Men and loads of beer. They had the same issues in Highbury, probably still do. Mate of mine used to live close by the ground there.
I was in a traffic queue in St Johns Lane after yesterday’s LFC match, in the road outside Dr Duncan’s. Two guys in their thirties, obviously tourists, walking down the opposite side of the road from (I presume) Lime St Station with a roller case, stopped and and proceeded to urinate on the wall of St Johns Gardens. In the full view of all.
If anyone thinks this a football problem, it is not, it is societal, just a complete lack of respect for others and the overriding importance of self.

Macred, honolulu bob liked this post
BeeGee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 10:09 AM   #13286
Demolition Dan

Likes (Received): 379

If you want to see crime and antisocial behaviour, I'd say Anfield OWN population is VASTLY ahead of (ie vastly WORSE than) the football visitors! I've seen all sorts of stuff.
I'd list it, but frankly its in no one's interest. The footie fans are absolute saints in comparison with a noticeable minority of locals.

On matchday, the place takes on an INFINITELY better atmosphere in terms of crime and antisocial behaviour.

What we're witnessing above is
i)The Echo aka the Manchester Gecko stirring sxit as usually.
ii)Some shysters on the council whipping things up for votes/because they have loud gobs and small brains.
iii)Claims culture on steroids. Its like the people who break their leg on a Saturday playing football. Then on Monday, they go out looking for a dodgy pavement to base their claim on! "Oh Anfield was a paradise before the football club" etc etc

PS as for residents moaning about 1 in 100k people peeing against a wall.
Perhaps a substantial number of locals would like to stop deluging the streets with dogsxxx on all the pavements round Anfield. Its far more unpleasant. And TBH I don't recall the last time I saw a matchgoer take his German Shepherd/Chihuahua into the Kop!

Only a large expansion of Anfield stadium can save the area.

Macred liked this post
Demolition Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 07:33 PM   #13287
Macred

Quote:
Seen it in town, never seen it around the ground specifically. Might just depend on where you walk, and how much attention I pay (not much!) but if you gave them toilets they still wouldnt use them. So what do you do, private security patrols, if persistent in one area, have a squad in the house ready to pounce and batter them. That will stop it. Like I said though, if the same person is impacted every week over their garden wall (so a max of 27 times a year) then show the evidence.... and anyway, the nitrogen is good for the plants.
Old September 16th, 2019, 07:35 PM   #13288
Macred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Dan View Post
If you want to see crime and antisocial behaviour, I'd say Anfield OWN population is VASTLY ahead of (ie vastly WORSE than) the football visitors! I've seen all sorts of stuff.
I'd list it, but frankly its in no one's interest. The footie fans are absolute saints in comparison with a noticeable minority of locals.

On matchday, the place takes on an INFINITELY better atmosphere in terms of crime and antisocial behaviour.

What we're witnessing above is
i)The Echo aka the Manchester Gecko stirring sxit as usually.
ii)Some shysters on the council whipping things up for votes/because they have loud gobs and small brains.
iii)Claims culture on steroids. Its like the people who break their leg on a Saturday playing football. Then on Monday, they go out looking for a dodgy pavement to base their claim on! "Oh Anfield was a paradise before the football club" etc etc

PS as for residents moaning about 1 in 100k people peeing against a wall.
Perhaps a substantial number of locals would like to stop deluging the streets with dogsxxx on all the pavements round Anfield. Its far more unpleasant. And TBH I don't recall the last time I saw a matchgoer take his German Shepherd/Chihuahua into the Kop!

Only a large expansion of Anfield stadium can save the area.
It's the same to55pot in the Echo too... who seems to have an agenda in every article.
Old September 17th, 2019, 09:20 AM   #13289
Macred

Did anyone notice the low attendance figures for the game at the weekend. I noticed it on M of TD and then in our paper is was something like 51,300. Which would seem more reflective of actual attendance than tickets sold... is this a change of policy of LFC or a PL edict?

Or part of a master plan to show that even if they build to a capacity the actual attendance is about 5% less even for a sell out. i.e. if they seek a capacity of 65,000 the actual attendance would be under 62,000.... so within the capacity of the current transport infrastructure with some tweeks. So the kudos of the 2nd largest club ground in England, and within top 15 in Europe(?) with a stated capacity of 65k... all of which helps Liverpool city with marketing/tourism etc but not the downside of that many people attending. A win win!

SteveCourty liked this post
Old September 17th, 2019, 11:27 AM   #13290
RobH

Likes (Received): 16658

Lunchtime k.o. + it was on TV?
Old September 17th, 2019, 01:16 PM   #13291
BeeGee

There were major transport infrastructure problems at the weekend with the closing of essential arterial routes connecting Wirral, city centre and affecting both public and private transport. That said I was at Anfield on Saturday and looking around the ground there did not appear to be any gaps. Strange.
Old September 17th, 2019, 01:38 PM   #13292
OnwardsAndUpwards

Likes (Received): 1077

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
There were major transport infrastructure problems at the weekend with the closing of essential arterial routes connecting Wirral, city centre and affecting both public and private transport. That said I was at Anfield on Saturday and looking around the ground there did not appear to be any gaps. Strange.
You're unlikely to notice less than 4 seats in every 100 being empty.

RobH liked this post
OnwardsAndUpwards no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 01:47 PM   #13293
OnwardsAndUpwards

Likes (Received): 1077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macred View Post
Did anyone notice the low attendance figures for the game at the weekend. I noticed it on M of TD and then in our paper is was something like 51,300. Which would seem more reflective of actual attendance than tickets sold... is this a change of policy of LFC or a PL edict?

Or part of a master plan to show that even if they build to a capacity the actual attendance is about 5% less even for a sell out. i.e. if they seek a capacity of 65,000 the actual attendance would be under 62,000.... so within the capacity of the current transport infrastructure with some tweeks. So the kudos of the 2nd largest club ground in England, and within top 15 in Europe(?) with a stated capacity of 65k... all of which helps Liverpool city with marketing/tourism etc but not the downside of that many people attending. A win win!
I would be interested to know why the figure is different to usual. If the PL were to ask for actual attendance figures West Ham would be the place to look first. I don't see why that would be in the PL's interests though.

The authorities would be spectacularly dumb to fall for any shenanigans with the attendance figures. Especially if there isn't an accompanying improvement in infrastructure usage. If the club were up to that sort of deceit it would be just as likely to be used for the opposite purpose, to underplay demand and reduce the scale of stadium ambition. I doubt they are though.
OnwardsAndUpwards no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 01:58 PM   #13294
RobH

Likes (Received): 16658

Doesn't seem that different from last season:
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/l...nces/2018-2019

Low 50s to high 53s seems the norm. Lunchtime k.o. plus TV game plus transport issues would seem to account for last weekend being one of the lower ones rather than any change in policy or reporting.
Old September 17th, 2019, 03:25 PM   #13295
Macred

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Doesn't seem that different from last season:
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/l...nces/2018-2019

Low 50s to high 53s seems the norm. Lunchtime k.o. plus TV game plus transport issues would seem to account for last weekend being one of the lower ones rather than any change in policy or reporting.
It's normally 53,200 ish... depending on segregation. Lower in the League cup against Chelsea... which is dependent on away support. And ditti CL games, more segregation, more seats closed at fronts of stand etc.

The usual figure is that stated above 53,200... but we know from the LFC website that there are about 2,000+ who pay but do not turn up for every home game.... assuming that to be the case, then that would give near enough the saturday figure. Liverpool are on telly all the time, so that does not impact sales, neither to early KOs.

Not sure how they got 55k in for Barca either as that would exceed the safety certificate.
Old September 17th, 2019, 08:45 PM   #13296
ChrisDR1968

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post

I think you're referring to this:

The footbridge seen at 1 min 36 secs was pulled down at the weekend.

This work is scheduled to continue until December and is therefore likely to impact Liverpool's home attendance figures until it is finished and the roads around this area are reconfigured to ease traffic flow.
ChrisDR1968 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 02:20 PM   #13297
Macred

Can't see the flyover work making any difference... if you are coming on the M53 Wirral then you do not go near them, they are behind you when you come out of the tunnel. If you are coming down the M62 then you go on Queens Drive so again, nowhere near. Any direction you approach from North of City Centre will make no odds either. So all in all, easily avoided. Still be interesting to see what the next few games are like attendance figure wise and I guess we will never know if there is an ulterior motive.

I am still amazed at the lack of progress, discussion, re. the new high street since the images produced talked about a while back. The Anfield Project websites are never updated these days, another forgotten waste of money they were, and where is the new hotel. The main stand was finished 3 years ago... and that is still a waste land.

This is from the Anfield Project website.... " creating a new community of homes and shops leading up to the stadium in summer 2018.".... and yet there is no sign of them being built. What the F is going on Liverpool CC... and to a lesser degree LFC? Do local residents even know? Are they being engaged as we speak.... anybody know?
Old September 19th, 2019, 07:19 PM   #13298
BeeGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnwardsAndUpwards View Post
You're unlikely to notice less than 4 seats in every 100 being empty.
I’ve been going to Anfield more years than I care to remember. A bunch of friends and I who travelled and sat together had two gambles: the final score predicted at kick off and the days attendance which was given in writing at half time.
For twenty years someone won the attendance sweepstake and was never ever more than 100 out of the official figure. Then, after H & G took over our joint predictive powers deserted us. I could not possibly say that declared gates were understated for financial reasons but one thing I can tell you is that the tickets that now do not sell are not scattered throughout the stadium, they are those on general sale in specific ares in the SKD and Main stands and against NUFC there appeared no big gaps.

Macred liked this post
Old September 19th, 2019, 07:24 PM   #13299
BeeGee

Macred, loads of Wirral people myself included use the Birkenhead tunnel, they turn right up Hunter St, Wallasey tunnel users go in the opposite direction up Scotland Rd.
The major problem last weekend was both sets of very heavy traffic converging and travelling the same way together, absolute nightmare.

ChrisDR1968, Macred liked this post
Old September 19th, 2019, 09:27 PM   #13300
Macred

Fair enough Bee Gee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
liverpool, stadiums