The roadside rest area - Page 2175 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2019, 01:51 PM   #43481
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 4007

I saw Chinese plates in my city a month or two ago. It was absolutely the weirdest thing ever, more weird than 2 Iranian trucks that I saw here recently here.
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2019, 05:01 PM   #43482
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
a lot of trucks running that route.

I think there are national unity issues... North Ontario wants to break off South Ontario, and Western alienation more generally is a real issue. National unity is always thought of as just the Quebec issue but really it goes vitually all ways. But is it so much caused by a small road, or more likely the general attitude of the federal government / Liberal Party towards issues not important to the "laurentian elites"...

I’ve never heard “Laurentian elites.” Fancy way of referring to the Quebec City-Toronto corridor, or specifically Quebec City amd Montreal?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2019, 05:07 PM   #43483
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

The roadside rest area

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Even traffic from New York to Los Angeles uses I-80 south of Chicago according to Google Maps. So with so many long-distance trucking routes going through there, you can understand what kind of choke point it is. And the Chicago metropolitan area itself generates a lot of trucking as well.

Indeed it does!
I’d be inclined to dip farther south...maybe something like 78, 81, 40....

And certainly from Philadelphia to Los Angeles, going north to 80 seems out of the way.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 15th, 2019, 05:30 PM   #43484
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 5769

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
I saw Chinese plates in my city a month or two ago.
In Bjelovar? That's kind of ridiculous.

x-type liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2019, 06:59 PM   #43485
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Even traffic from New York to Los Angeles uses I-80 south of Chicago according to Google Maps. So with so many long-distance trucking routes going through there, you can understand what kind of choke point it is. And the Chicago metropolitan area itself generates a lot of trucking as well.
And to think that I-80 in the Joliet area is only four lanes (2+2). There is a lot of local public demand to upgrade it and replace its dangerously deficient bridge over the Des Plaines River in Joliet, BUT IDOT (Illinois Department of Transportation), like the rest of Illinois' state government, is broke and thus realistically, it will be a while before anything can be done about it.

That area around the south end of Lake Michigan is also a railroad choke point. Lots of rail traffic, including numerous Amtrak and other passenger trains, pass through there, too. Still though, the rail traffic capacity there is nothing like it was especially before WWII. (Compare historic rail maps of the southern Chicagoland and NW Indiana area against current ones, including the amount and intensity of passenger station infrastructure in the south end of downtown Chicago. It is JAW DROPPING!)

Today the freight railroads are struggling with serious capacity issues and a project is under way to sort of loosen up some of the worst of the congestion in and around Chicago, including several track grade separations. Yes, there is a lot of regret among current high-level railroad company management officials about what their predecessors were doing a couple of generations ago regarding the over-aggressive abandonment of what were then thought of as being redundant routes.

Mike

Penn's Woods liked this post
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2019, 08:29 PM   #43486
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
And to think that I-80 in the Joliet area is only four lanes (2+2). There is a lot of local public demand to upgrade it and replace its dangerously deficient bridge over the Des Plaines River in Joliet, BUT IDOT (Illinois Department of Transportation), like the rest of Illinois' state government, is broke and thus realistically, it will be a while before anything can be done about it.

That area around the south end of Lake Michigan is also a railroad choke point. Lots of rail traffic, including numerous Amtrak and other passenger trains, pass through there, too. Still though, the rail traffic capacity there is nothing like it was especially before WWII. (Compare historic rail maps of the southern Chicagoland and NW Indiana area against current ones, including the amount and intensity of passenger station infrastructure in the south end of downtown Chicago. It is JAW DROPPING!)

Today the freight railroads are struggling with serious capacity issues and a project is under way to sort of loosen up some of the worst of the congestion in and around Chicago, including several track grade separations. Yes, there is a lot of regret among current high-level railroad company management officials about what their predecessors were doing a couple of generations ago regarding the over-aggressive abandonment of what were then thought of as being redundant routes.

Mike

Do you have a good source for old railroad maps? I’d be particularly interested in passenger service.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 17th, 2019, 07:54 PM   #43487
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 4007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
In Bjelovar? That's kind of ridiculous.
Yep. It was indeed weird. And it was some random pick-up car, Toyota or Isuzu or something. No some world-trip or travelling-the-world or sponsorship stickers on it.

Verso liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 11:12 AM   #43488
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 26439

Take a look at this photo of the Zwolle railway station in the Netherlands. This explains why growth in public transport usage doesn't do anything to reduce road traffic. There is like one person over 25 years of age on this photo of a tsunami of train travelers. And there is an office park right next to this train station - but most workers come by car or bicycle, very often the nearby parking lots and garages are full by 7 a.m.

I travel to work by train, when I take the outbound train from Zwolle at 8 a.m., I am often the only person over 25 years in the carriage. Students are responsible for the 'hyper rush hour'.

Several trains stop in Zwolle around 8:10 and 8:40, each carrying 400-900 travelers, which causes a tsunami of travelers. I enter the station around 8 a.m. and it is almost empty. It makes such a difference. Almost all of these travelers are bound for college in Zwolle.

Zwolle is one of the most important railway junctions in the Netherlands, in fact the Zwolle railway station is the basis of the train schedule in the whole country. It's not the busiest, but Zwolle has trains in 8 directions.

travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 11:15 AM   #43489
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 3467

Quote:
This explains why growth in public transport usage doesn't do anything to reduce road traffic.
You cannot infer this just by looking at that picture.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 11:27 AM   #43490
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's right, there are road statistics too. Only economic depressions have resulted in a (very minor) reduction of road traffic.

Kanadzie liked this post
Old September 18th, 2019, 01:57 PM   #43491
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Take a look at this photo of the Zwolle railway station in the Netherlands. This explains why growth in public transport usage doesn't do anything to reduce road traffic. There is like one person over 25 years of age on this photo of a tsunami of train travelers. And there is an office park right next to this train station - but most workers come by car or bicycle, very often the nearby parking lots and garages are full by 7 a.m.

I travel to work by train, when I take the outbound train from Zwolle at 8 a.m., I am often the only person over 25 years in the carriage. Students are responsible for the 'hyper rush hour'.

Several trains stop in Zwolle around 8:10 and 8:40, each carrying 400-900 travelers, which causes a tsunami of travelers. I enter the station around 8 a.m. and it is almost empty. It makes such a difference. Almost all of these travelers are bound for college in Zwolle.

Zwolle is one of the most important railway junctions in the Netherlands, in fact the Zwolle railway station is the basis of the train schedule in the whole country. It's not the busiest, but Zwolle has trains in 8 directions.

Where (in what city) do you work, if you don’t mind my asking? And is it close to your arrival station?

I had no idea Zwolle was such a major junction.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 18th, 2019, 02:27 PM   #43492
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 26124

Quote:
These are often hotly debated issues. It's also a thing in Europe. The previous European Commission wanted to end the time-switching, however while most people may like the longer daylight hours in the evening in the summer, scientists and experts appear to prefer the longer daylight hours in the morning in the winter, since it would be our natural time.

All this has led me to believe that changing the clocks twice a year may be the least worst solution. I would definitely not like winter time year-round. I often go on vacation in late August and early September and permanent winter time would mean sunset around 7 - 7.30 p.m. near the western Mediterranean, which is way too early for late summer for me.

For example permanent winter time would mean a 10 september sunset in Budapest at 18:07 hours.
It is much easier to either adjust time zones where applicable (a decision for each member-state), or just change activity hours of certain businesses or school. Museums and parks do that pretty much anywhere in Europe.

Vacations, in particular, should be the least impacted thing of them all: there is absolutely nothing to prevent people traveling to Portugal or Iceland from waking up one hour earlier, and do everything one hour earlier (or later, depending on how the permanent time were to be set).

sbondorf liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 02:30 PM   #43493
Suburbanist
on the road

Out of curiosity, I once looked at some tourist activity ads/sites for Algarve and Andalusia, which have relatively close astronomical sunset/sunrise, while straddled by a time border.

It was trivial, and obvious, that sunlight dependent business such as "sunset cruises" would adjust accordinly, breakfast hours would be slightly earlier at Portuguese beach-side hotels, and so on. Banks in Portugal and Spain have much more "business hours" differences that are unlikely to be driven by time zones anyway.

sbondorf liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 02:37 PM   #43494
Suburbanist
on the road

Canada-to-Canada trucking via the US became much more bureaucratic since the mid-2000s, not only because of 9/11-related measures.

One of the critical issues is that, in the past, there were some easy-ish visa arrangements for foreign (non Canadian) drivers resident in Canada just passing through US under Canada contracts. This had always been a bitter point for Mexican transportation companies that didn't enjoy the same access in the Southern border, somehow in the middle of all these issues it became much harder for non-Canadian drivers to use US routes from Canada-to-Canada transport.

Customs inspections are also much thorough.

It must be said US trucks entering Canada also face much higher scrutiny than 15-20 years ago.
Old September 18th, 2019, 03:12 PM   #43495
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 5769

Quote:
It's not the busiest, but Zwolle has trains in 8 directions.
Hmm, I see 7 railways out of Zwolle.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 03:58 PM   #43496
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's correct, the railroad to the north splits at Meppel. They are seen as two separate train service directions that use the same track for a while: to Leeuwarden and to Groningen.

Old September 18th, 2019, 04:51 PM   #43497
Highway89

Likes (Received): 3482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Out of curiosity, I once looked at some tourist activity ads/sites for Algarve and Andalusia, which have relatively close astronomical sunset/sunrise, while straddled by a time border.

It was trivial, and obvious, that sunlight dependent business such as "sunset cruises" would adjust accordinly, breakfast hours would be slightly earlier at Portuguese beach-side hotels, and so on. Banks in Portugal and Spain have much more "business hours" differences that are unlikely to be driven by time zones anyway.
I usually have lunch at 2 pm and dinner at 9 pm, which is late for European standards. However, if you use solar time instead, in fact I have lunch at noon and dinner at 7 pm.

The longer lunch breaks are a different story though
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 06:54 PM   #43498
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 2698

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
It is much easier to either adjust time zones where applicable (a decision for each member-state), or just change activity hours of certain businesses or school. Museums and parks do that pretty much anywhere in Europe.
Is it, though? That would require changing all of the places that have information on opening times twice a year: signs, websites etc. That's a much bigger cost than just turning the clocks.

When the previous EC wanted to end turning the clocks countries had to say (or at least most did) whether they'd prefer to keep winter or summer time. Estonia wanted to have the same time zone as Finland and Latvia since they are our closest neighbours. Latvia preferred summer time whereas Finland's official opinion was to prefer winter time. For us that would mean choosing between having a time zone border on our Southern or on our Northern border, neither of which is ideal.

I'd choose summer time personally. Currently in late June the sun rises at 4:05 and sets at 22:45. Using winter time that would mean a sun rising at 3:05 and setting at 21:45. Most people are much more likely to be awake at 22:45 than at 4:05. In winter it's always dark anyway so there isn't much of a difference.

Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 09:03 AM   #43499
keber

Likes (Received): 2782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Is it, though? That would require changing all of the places that have information on opening times twice a year: signs, websites etc.
Why would you change that? Banks, shops, hairdressers wouldn't need that.
And many services have different openings through the year, regardless of summer/winter time (like zoos, recreational areas, some restaurants etc.)
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2019, 09:36 AM   #43500
Suburbanist
on the road

Changing time zones once in a generation is different than the twice-a-year change.
Advertisement

Tags
highways, motorways