ADMIN THREAD - Contact Moderators here, Thread Title Change Requests, Members Issues, Problems, Suggestions, etc - Page 48 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old May 31st, 2013, 08:11 PM   #941
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 585

What do you think about a new thread for the St. James's Point student accommodation? As there's another development with the same name (and its own thread), perhaps "St. James's Point (Pitt street)" would be appropriate?
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2013, 12:10 PM   #942
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2095

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
What do you think about a new thread for the St. James's Point student accommodation? As there's another development with the same name (and its own thread), perhaps "St. James's Point (Pitt street)" would be appropriate?

Yes, if a 'suitable sized' project emerges out of the Student Accommodation Discussion thread, then (in the same way as it happens with our other "Area Developments" type threads) an individual Project Thread is usually a good idea.

I'm not sure if there are any other Student Accommodation constructions/refurbishments (that have reached actual construction stage) that have 'remained' on the Student Accommodation thread, for coverage?

If so, and people think they should have their own thread (also) then let me know and I can transfer in all old/pre-existing posts . . . (?)

Skyscrapercity do want us to (where possible for actual PROJECTS) cover them on separate 'Project Threads' as it aids the use of Internet search engines / Google-type searches, etc.

This is an extract from a post (on the 'Moderator Forums' recently) from Jan, the Skyscrapercity.com owner . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan;
This is just a general reminder that if possible one should try to create separate threads for separate Projects. The reason is that search engines are better at properly indexing threads about specific topics, and more importantly, you often can't find anything in long compilation / multi-project threads. cheers!
Anyway, back to Pitt Street.

Perhaps, partially because of the existence of the other "St James' Point" thread, we should lay the emphasis - in the Thread Title - on Pitt Street?

Also, there does seem to potentially be more than one 'Student Accomodation' Project on Pitt Street, see -

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=264

So, perhaps something like . . .

Pitt Street Student Accommodation | Newcastle | Various | U/C

What do you think?

(I would still be interested in peoples views about separate threads for any other current/ongoing Student Accommodation Projects?)
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 12:37 PM   #943
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Yes, if a 'suitable sized' project emerges out of the Student Accommodation Discussion thread, then (in the same way as it happens with our other "Area Developments" type threads) an individual Project Thread is usually a good idea.

I'm not sure if there are any other Student Accommodation constructions/refurbishments (that have reached actual construction stage) that have 'remained' on the Student Accommodation thread, for coverage?

If so, and people think they should have their own thread (also) then let me know and I can transfer in all old/pre-existing posts . . . (?)

Skyscrapercity do want us to (where possible for actual PROJECTS) cover them on separate 'Project Threads' as it aids the use of Internet search engines / Google-type searches, etc.

This is an extract from a post (on the 'Moderator Forums' recently) from Jan, the Skyscrapercity.com owner . . .

Quote:
This is just a general reminder that if possible one should try to create separate threads for separate Projects. The reason is that search engines are better at properly indexing threads about specific topics, and more importantly, you often can't find anything in long compilation / multi-project threads. cheers!

Perhaps, partially because of the existence of the other "St James' Point" thread, we should lay the emphasis - in the Thread Title - on Pitt Street?

Also, there does seem to potentially be more than one 'Student Accomodation' Project on Pitt Street, see -

What do you think?

(I would still be interested in peoples views about separate threads for any other current/ongoing Student Accommodation Projects?)
Yes I think there has been sufficient activity in the past months and in the future for the creation of a separate Pitt Street Student Accommodation | Newcastle | Various | U/C. However it would be good if posts connected to Pitt Street could be kept to that thread rather than being copied over into the general Student Accommodation thread as I find the duplication can be a bit annoying and my finger has do enough clicking as it is

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; June 1st, 2013 at 02:39 PM.
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 12:50 PM   #944
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Yes I think there has been sufficient activity in the past months and in the future for the creation of a separate Pitt Street Student Accommodation | Newcastle | Various | U/C.

However it would be good if posts connected to Pitt Street could be kept to that thread rather than being copied over into the general Student Accommodation thread as I find the duplication can be a bit annoying and my finger has do enough clicking as it is

Yes, I think that usually happens (Duplication ceases) after an individual project thread is set up. Any duplication of posts into the (previously used) 'Area Developments' or (as in this case) 'Student Accommodation' thread ceases at that stage.

When I move the pre-existing posts into any new project thread, though, I only 'copy the old posts over' (I do not "move" them over) as moving them (leaving nothing behind) would leave holes in the previous conversations (that would 'read' strange) and would also "play havoc" (!) with the forum indexing system, as 'thread numbers' end up being changed in that scenario.

It is only with old/copied-over posts that 'duplication' occurs/remains, as all future posts would only be on the new Project Thread.

Any thoughts Steve, on any other Student Accommodation projects that need their own thread?
Old June 1st, 2013, 01:09 PM   #945
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 4046

Quote:

Any thoughts on any other Student Accommodation projects that need their own thread?
Demolition of 1-7 Park Terrace and erection of new 5 storey student accommodation building, conversion of 1-10 Kensington Terrace, and erection of 4 storey student accommodation building etc for Newcastle University

Cuurently being included in Newcastle University Developments as well as Student Accommodation

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 01:13 PM   #946
Ken O'Heed

Quote:

Any thoughts on any other Student Accommodation projects that need their own thread?
Barker House, Shield Street Newcastle upon Tyne - additional 7 flats rather than public house, - currently being built

Main construction of Barker House was covered under former Shieldfield Club within "Shieldfield area" thread

KEN
Old June 1st, 2013, 01:18 PM   #947
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

I was thinking "Portland Green" too (that's a big-un) but that already has its own thread. . .

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1484846

So, as it stands . . .

1 - Pitt Street
2 - Kensington Terrace
3 - Barker House

Then, if people think they all should have their own individual project thread, I'll get on with it sometime today!!
Old June 1st, 2013, 02:19 PM   #948
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4778

Quote:
Yes, I think that usually happens (Duplication ceases) after an individual project thread is set up. Any duplication of posts into the (previously used) 'Area Developments' or (as in this case) 'Student Accommodation' thread ceases at that stage.

When I move the pre-existing posts into any new project thread, though, I only 'copy the old posts over' (I do not "move" them over) as moving them (leaving nothing behind) would leave holes in the previous conversations (that would 'read' strange) and would also "play havoc" (!) with the forum indexing system, as 'thread numbers' end up being changed in that scenario.

It is only with old/copied-over posts that 'duplication' occurs/remains, as all future posts would only be on the new Project Thread.

Any thoughts Steve, on any other Student Accommodation projects that need their own thread?
It just seems to me that even though there are separate threads opened up for specific projects we continue to have a duplication of postings into the lies of the Student Accommodation thread, As a result we have a duplication and a "cluttering up" of the original thread. I must be getting old and grumpy but I don't really want to keep reading things twice

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 02:29 PM   #949
Squipper

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:

Quote:

What do you think?

It is actually irrelevant whether the topic is in a unique or multiple theme thread, that's not the way search engines work. I have been setting up Search Engine Optimisations on VBulletin forums for years and they will pick up on keywords in individual posts far more often than an actual thread as thread starter = 1 post and thread content = perhaps hundreds.

Upgrading the forum to a newer version with search engine friendly URL's would be a far better thing to do as this version is waaaaaaaaaay behind.

Steve

Squipper
Royal Air Force
Survival Equipment Fitter

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; June 1st, 2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Added Jan's comment
Squipper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 02:35 PM   #950
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
It just seems to me that even though there are separate threads opened up for specific projects we continue to have a duplication of postings into the lies of the Student Accommodation thread, As a result we have a duplication and a "cluttering up" of the original thread. I must be getting old and grumpy but I don't really want to keep reading things twice

After an individual Project thread is set up, I remove future duplications if they continue to be made in (previously correctly used) discussion and/or developments threads.

The only duplication remaining between the two threads would/should be (as mentioned above) the pre-existing posts that were copied into the new thread, not 'moved' into the new thread, when it was belatedly set up.

Quite often though (in a different scenario) ongoing duplication is correctly done, particularly (and 'Student Accommodation' is one good example of this) where a post is strongly relevant to more than one thread.

This could, and does, apply between the (subject-based) Student Accommodation thread, and the (geographical-based) Area Developments thread for - say - Jesmond/Shieldfield/Sandyford, for example.

This also applies between (again!!) the Student Accommodation thread and (this time) the "Newcastle University - Developments" thread.

I can see why people do that, as (years down the line) researchers (etc) will expect to find all Newcastle University subjects on that thread, and by that time the Student Accommodation thread may have ceased to be used and be out-of-sight down the bottom of the forum.

It's a question of 'getting the balance right', so if there are any duplications (not explained by the above) that have slipped through the ('my') net . . . please give me the links and I'll sort them out
Old June 2nd, 2013, 10:38 AM   #951
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:

So, as it stands there are . . .

1 - Pitt Street
2 - Kensington Terrace
3 - Barker House

If people think they all should have their own individual project thread, then I'll get on with it sometime today!!

Hopefully, backdated threads will be in place by Monday at the latest!

Sorry about the delay
Old June 3rd, 2013, 04:38 PM   #952
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Hopefully, backdated threads will be in place by Monday at the latest!

Sorry about the delay

Pitt Street now done (03/06) other two to follow!
Old June 3rd, 2013, 07:19 PM   #953
Ken O'Heed

Keys to the Past website - on the external websites listing thread

KEYS TO THE PAST - THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SECRETS OF COUNTY DURHAM & NORTHUMBERLAND

The link currently included in the Websites Listing Thread
http://www.keystothepast.info/k2p/us...st+-+Home+Page

Has been changed to

http://www.keystothepast.info/Pages/Home.aspx

KEN

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; June 3rd, 2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 10:55 PM   #954
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post
KEYS TO THE PAST - THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SECRETS OF COUNTY DURHAM & NORTHUMBERLAND

The link currently included in the Websites Listing Thread
http://www.keystothepast.info/k2p/us...st+-+Home+Page

Has been changed to

http://www.keystothepast.info/Pages/Home.aspx

KEN

Thanks Ken, the listing at "Section 09" of the External Websites - Listing Thread, now updated with the new web address for the 'Keys to the Past' site.
Old June 4th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #955
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
North East landmarks displayed in virtual exhibition
By Ruth Lawson, The Chronicle, 3rd Jun 2013

A virtual exhibition listing the North East's greatest achievements has gone live today. To explore the gallery and to create a map so you can go out and see the real thing, visit www.100placesne.co.uk

The project has been launched to coincide with the start of the Festival of the North East which runs until the end of June. Visit www.festivalne.com

North East 100 Places . . .

Allenheads Mine; Angel of the North; Apollo Pavilion; Arthur Holmes’ birthplace and childhood home; Auckland Castle; Beamish: The Living Museum of the North; Belsay Hall, Castle and Gardens; Berwick Bridges; Berwick Town Walls; Billingham Forum; Bishop Cosin’s Library; Blyth Battery; Boho One; Bowes Museum; Bowes Railway; The Bridges of Newcastle Gateshead; Byker Estate; Causey Arch; Cherryburn; Chesters Roman Fort and Museum; Chillingham Castle; Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum; Coanwood Friends Meeting House; County Police Communications Mast, Aykley Heads Durham; Cragside; Crowley’s Ironworks; Derwentcote Steel Furnace; Dial Cottage; Dunelm House; Dunston Staiths; Durham Castle; Durham Cathedral; Escomb Saxon Church; Felling Pit Disaster Memorial, Heworth / Hartley Colliery Memorial, Earsdon; Gas Council Engineering Research Station and Stephenson Industrial Estate, Killingworth; Gibside; Grainger Town; Great North Museum: Hancock; Hatton Gallery; Head of Steam – Darlington Railway Museum; Hexham Abbey; Hexham Old Gaol; Holy Trinity Church, Berwick upon Tweed; Infinity Bridge; International Centre for Life; Jarrow Town Hall; Kielder Water and Forest Park; Killhope: The North of England Lead Mining Museum; Kirkharle; Lindisfarne Castle and Garden; Lindisfarne Priory; Lit and Phil; Locomotion; Lower Ouseburn Valley; MEA House; Metro loop; MetroCentre; Monkwearmouth Fellowship Church; Mosley Street; National Glass Centre, Sunderland; Newcastle Central Station; Newcastle Gateshead Quayside; Newcastle Keep; Newport Bridge; Nissan Car Manufacturing Plant; North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineering; Preston Hall; Raby Castle; Ryhope Pumping Station; Seaton Sluice harbour; Sir William Turner Hospital, Kirkleatham; Skerne Bridge, Darlington; Souter Lighthouse; Spanish City; St Andrew’s Church, Roker; St Cuthbert’s Church, Bellingham; St Edmund's Church, Sedgefield; St George’s Church, Jesmond; Stephenson Works; Sunderland Cottages; Sunderland Museum and Winter Gardens; Swan Hunter’s Shipyard and Wallsend Colliery; Tarset Bastle Trail; Tees Barrage; Tees Transporter Bridge; Throston Engine House; Twin monastery site of Wearmouth-Jarrow; Tyne Pedestrian and Cyclist Tunnels; Tyne Piers; Tynemouth Station; Tynemouth Volunteer Life Brigade Headquarters; Union Chain Bridge; Wallington House and gardens; Warkworth Castle and Hermitage; Weardale Museum and High House Chapel; Wilton 10 Power Plant; Woodhorn Museum and Northumberland Archives; Wouldhave Memorial; Wylam Waggonway; Wynyard Hall

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...irtual-4043954

I have added a link to this new site to "Section 09" of the External Websites Listing Thread . . .

ONE HUNDRED PLACES ('100 PLACES') - HISTORY OF THE NORTH EAST IN '100 PLACES'
http://www.100placesne.co.uk/places
Old June 4th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #956
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Skyscrapercity Search Engine . . .

There are periodically problems with this (which are hoped to be permanently fixed soon) but currently, as at today 4th June 2013, no posts made after 26th May will show up when searching.

It is a "search database update" problem, and should be resolved shortly, I'll let you know . .

NH.
Old June 6th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #957
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:

So, as it stands, new 'Student Accommodation' Project Threads are needed for . . .

1 - Pitt Street
2 - Park Terrace and Kensington Terrace
3 - Barker House

I'll get on with it sometime today!!
Quote:
Pitt Street now done (03/06) other two to follow!

Park Terrace and Kensington Terrace (new Project Thread) now done . . .

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1634388&page=3

All future postings can now go on the new thread.
Old June 6th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #958
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

DELETED.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; June 8th, 2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old June 6th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #959
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Has anyone spotted that we now have a new Skyscrapercity.com LOGO?

Steve Ellwood liked this post
Old June 6th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #960
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 818

Quote:
Has anyone spotted that we now have a new Skyscrapercity.com LOGO?

Yes I did, also there is different colour versions, I really like the Black and Grey one.

Also Jan says that focus will now be on the new app which should be with us in the next 2 weeks or so.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
admin, forum changes, ideas, moderation, moderator messages, newcastle, north east england, suggestions, thread title changes