#Completed: Howard Smith Wharves - mixed - Page 49 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Queensland

Queensland » Gold Coast | Regional Queensland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 27th, 2019, 09:58 AM   #961
gerryt1

Likes (Received): 1183

I don't remember mentioning *peace and quite*. I mentioned mess and I stand by that. there is a difference between the two.

Edit: I quite liked the vibe of the place, I just don't like the mess.

Last edited by gerryt1; November 27th, 2019 at 12:43 PM.
gerryt1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2019, 03:26 AM   #962
Aussie Bhoy

Likes (Received): 11402

The HSW are great. There are a few little teething problems, but they will mostly get fixed.

I did drive from my place in the city over the Story Bridge last night about 7pm. And I have to say that the traffic situation leading to the Ivory Street tunnel was not great. I think a lot of it was uber's and taxi's heading to HSW. I don't know if it was a one off, or if it's always like that, it was a Saturday night I guess. It would help if they made that end of Adelaide St a clearway 24/7 instead of allowing a couple of cars to park there and reduce it to 1 lane.

Or maybe if a few people got out nearby and took the short walk to the wharves instead of having every vehicle trying to drive down there.

LeSnakk, nathandavid88 liked this post
Aussie Bhoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2019, 04:22 AM   #963
EnolaGray

Likes (Received): 1459

Might help if the Uber and Cab designated drop off/pick up points where at the top of the cliff along Bowen Terrace, and not down the bottom on boundary st.

nathandavid88, KJBrissy liked this post
EnolaGray no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2019, 04:43 AM   #964
LeSnakk

Likes (Received): 1320

Aussie unfortunately it's like that every Saturday night. It's great to see HSW always packed on weekends but it's a nightmare getting in and out of there at the moment.
LeSnakk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2019, 09:29 AM   #965
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 13047

I just grab a 199 to Brunswick Street (either the stop approaching Malt Street or Kent Street near the Brunswick Hotel, depending where are the Wharves I'm going) and just walk down to the lifts. Getting an Uber there would be a nightmare.
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2019, 05:53 AM   #966
nathandavid88

The DA for the Howard Smith Wharves Ferry Terminal (A005352537) has been lodged. It will be located in line with the river steps between Howards Hall and the Rivershed.

It doesn't seem to specify exactly what type of services are planned (ie. CityCat or City Hopper), but the terminal has been engineered to cater to both Ferry and CityCats, and is capable of dual-berthing two CityCats. The design is similar to the design of Council's other recent ferry terminal upgrades.

LeSnakk, gerryt1 liked this post
Old December 16th, 2019, 08:45 AM   #967
Ergophobia

Likes (Received): 257

So blocking the whole point of the stairs and beach?
Old December 16th, 2019, 03:13 PM   #968
lofo2016

Likes (Received): 175

how many people actually use those steps ?
lofo2016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2019, 11:37 PM   #969
nathandavid88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergophobia View Post
There's no real beach at the bottom of the stairs. It's a little loose-rock section of riverbank littered with remnant pylons from the old wharf structure. And this, as well as there only being stair access, means it wouldn't really be usable to launch kayaks or anything.

Reading further into the DA, I don't think this location was the first choice, and it wasn't the location originally shown when the terminal was first announced (that was in front of Howards Hall). The planning document mentions that alternative locations both upstream and downstream from here were investigated, but one suffered from accessibility issues and the potential to impede river traffic, while the other had geotechnical issues and would block views to the heritage-listed rivershed.

This location might have been the only one viable.
Old December 17th, 2019, 12:36 AM   #970
BenAffleck

Likes (Received): 227

Couldn't it have the same entrance/exit point but everything else 180 degrees around?
BenAffleck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2019, 01:11 AM   #971
nathandavid88

That would have blocked the views to the Rivershed (a heritage-listed element of the site) and it might have been the downstream option mentioned in the DA, which would have encountered geotechnical issues.
Old December 17th, 2019, 01:14 AM   #972
SoulvisionQ1
New Urbanist

Likes (Received): 1468

Hopefully it sits lower than the steps so they still get a good view
SoulvisionQ1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2019, 01:28 AM   #973
John_Gill
Not_the_timber_man

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
that is crap. the stairs are a unique activation of the river and are one of the few "public" features of HSW..... most of the rest of it is "private" space you need to be sitting in a restaurant. the stairs are jam-packed full of people, and most notably, it is full of people who are having a picnic or just sitting and enjoying the space. not everyone wants to or can afford to buy food/drink every time they visit, the stairs are an important feature to make HSW feel inclusive.

Macca-GC liked this post
John_Gill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2019, 01:29 AM   #974
Ergophobia

Likes (Received): 257

I would have thought near the boardwalk where there already is a small jetty.

Also I have seen people sitting there having lunch or relaxing.

Last edited by Ergophobia; December 17th, 2019 at 01:35 AM.
Ergophobia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2019, 01:34 AM   #975
AviOnX

Likes (Received): 223

#Completed: Howard Smith Wharves - mixed

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Gill View Post
that is crap. the stairs are a unique activation of the river and are one of the few "public" features of HSW..... most of the rest of it is "private" space you need to be sitting in a restaurant. the stairs are jam-packed full of people, and most notably, it is full of people who are having a picnic or just sitting and enjoying the space. not everyone wants to or can afford to buy food/drink every time they visit, the stairs are an important feature to make HSW feel inclusive.

Agree hopefully it sits low enough not to impede the view from the steps (even at high tide) which I have observed to get quite well used.

Sunset on the casual green is also something quite special.

LeSnakk liked this post

Last edited by AviOnX; December 17th, 2019 at 08:53 AM.
AviOnX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2019, 02:27 AM   #976
nathandavid88

Quote:
You mean right up near the Boundary Street end of the wharves? That's a very tight little pocket due to the City Reach Riverwalk - any terminal there would have to extend quite far out into the river to be viable.

Also, I think HSW are intending to (or have already) upgrade that Jetty so it can be used by small water craft (take your tinny to HSW).
Old December 17th, 2019, 09:12 AM   #977
freefalladdict

Likes (Received): 486

Quote:

Also I have seen people sitting there having lunch or relaxing.

You’ve probably seen me there eating my lunch.

Not pleased about this location for the terminal.

Ergophobia liked this post
freefalladdict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2019, 12:23 PM   #978
victorpenfold
-

Likes (Received): 31

Who gives a sh*t about views of a shed :-|

gerryt1 liked this post
victorpenfold no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2020, 05:22 AM   #979
nathandavid88

The Department of Environment & Science (which has absorbed the former Dept Environment & Heritage Protection) gives a sh*t, as that shed is a heritage listed property.

That aside, it sounds like someone has a bone to pick with Mr Percival's at the Howard Smith Wharves. After being https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...756d36a9d98e18, a number of people on a boat last night fired shots at the place.

Quote:
Shots fired at Howard Smith Wharves bar from Brisbane River
Toby Crockford
By Toby Crockford
January 6, 2020 — 6.30am

Multiple shots were fired from a dinghy on the Brisbane River at Mr Percival's overnight, little more than two weeks after the Howard Smith Wharves bar was the target of an arson attack.

Police said the shooting occurred about 2am on Monday and the bullets came from a small vessel carrying three or four people.

Nobody was injured, it is unclear whether anyone was inside the Boundary Street bar at the time.

Detectives have appealed for witnesses or anyone with information to contact Policelink on 13 14 44 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nat...06-p53p3h.html
Old January 6th, 2020, 08:04 AM   #980
Vocodr

Likes (Received): 359

Had a great break over Xmas/New Year in Brisbane. As I was staying at the Marriott, HSW was just a few minutes' walk away and I visited several times. Thoughts:

- The views of the Story Bridge, CBD and the City Reach of the river are of course incredible.

- The place has a bit of a theme park feel to it but I'm sure this will soften over time as the precinct ages and becomes more established.

- There wasn't enough shade during the day. Although again, when the trees grow up, that will change. I'm not sure enough trees have been planted, though.

- Some of the plantings were a bit odd. I noticed a lot of oleander, introduced palms and other exotics. Oleander is plain dangerous (especially near the children's playground) and it would have been nice to see more subtropical and local indigenous plants.

- The astro turf has got to go. I understand it's a high-traffic area but there are very busy spaces at South Bank with real grass, and there's no reason it can't be managed here. Not only is astro turf fake and tacky, it's very hot to walk or sit on.

- ARC Dining was lovely. Light and fresh food, great wine list, amazing views and good service.

- Stanley was another good restaurant. Although the food wasn't discernibly better than the best Cantonese restaurants in nearby Chinatown. The service and atmosphere (and prices) were more upmarket than anything in Chinatown, though.

- Felon's had the feel of a suburban beer barn/brewery, albeit with a million dollar view.

- Along the waterfront from Stanley through Yoko and onto Felon's, there was ridiculously loud club music blaring out each time I visited. At Felon's, you could barely hold a conversation sitting by water. That might be OK late on a Friday or Saturday night, but generally something a bit more adult and sophisticated would suit the environment better.

- There seemed to be an inordinate number of conference, events and party spaces for hire (Howard's Hall, the Rivershed, Bouganvillea House, Citrus House, Wisteria House and several others). When they're not being used (and they weren't when I was there) they're dead zones, not active spaces. I think it would be great if a couple of these could be turned into retail or perhaps arts or cultural offerings.

- When you enter the precinct from the CBD, the interface of cars, delivery vehicles, bikes, scooters and pedestrians is a mess.

- I loved the stairs and elevators going up the New Farm cliffs. The view from the top at Wilson's Outlook has to be one of the most dramatic skyline views in Australia.

- I know I've been a bit harsh here but overall, I liked the area and it's a good addition to Brisbane. It's opened up yet another spot to access the beautiful Brisbane River and enjoy the views and breezes. I think some tinkering - and time - will make HSW a special place. At the moment, it's not quite realising its potential.