RAIL Transport - in Newcastle and the North East - Page 33 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old December 7th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #641
packetlos

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post
This screen print of picture from Gateshead Council Libraries & Arts ISEE series [/IMG]
KEN
Thanks Ken, I guess this was connected to the bowes system and ran downhill from under Durham road to lady park pit. All long demolished before I was born.
packetlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #642
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 46

Really hopeful a south entrance to Central Station will be built in the near future.

That will transform the desirability of the Stephenson Quarter area as it suddenly becomes really accessible for national rail services, but also local bus and metro services too.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; December 8th, 2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Transferred from 'Stephenson Quarter' thread
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #643
Northern Engineer

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonlad View Post
Really hopeful a south station entrance will be built in the near future. That will transform the desirability of this area as it suddenly becomes really accessible for national rail services, but also local bus and metro services too.
Is the south side entrance part of the masterplan or is it a wishlist?
Northern Engineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #644
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

I believe the original plan for a tunnel and extra retail has been dropped but bridge access and a new entrance portal are still on the cards. Haven't heard any timescales yet.
Old December 7th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #645
Squipper

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by packetlos View Post
Thanks Ken, I guess this was connected to the bowes system and ran downhill from under Durham road to lady park pit. All long demolished before I was born.
Or possibly Ravensworth pit, good find Ken!
Squipper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #646
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

I'd imagine a south entrance might not be done now or would be pointless due to ticket barriers, i.e. you can't just walk through the station anymore unless you have a ticket.

The alternatives could be a south entrance and a bridge into the car park area on the north side or the mega-budget tunnel (plus shops) option that was originally proposed but I doubt that'll happen for a long, long time, if ever.
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #647
Northern Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewcastleStu View Post
I'd imagine a south entrance might not be done now or would be pointless due to ticket barriers, i.e. you can't just walk through the station anymore unless you have a ticket.

The alternatives could be a south entrance and a bridge into the car park area on the north side or the mega-budget tunnel (plus shops) option that was originally proposed but I doubt that'll happen for a long, long time, if ever.
I would have thought a south side entrance would be a good idea. Not just because it makes the station more accessible from that side and would help the development of the Stephenson quarter but it could also relieve some of the chaotic congestion you get at the drop off point at the front of the station.

All they would have to do is add a couple of extra ticket barriers on the south side rather than tunnels/ bridges etc. If they didnt have a ticket they would have to go around the front.
Old December 7th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #648
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Engineer

I would have thought a south side entrance would be a good idea. Not just because it makes the station more accessible from that side and would help the development of the Stephenson quarter but it could also relieve some of the chaotic congestion you get at the drop off point at the front of the station.

All they would have to do is add a couple of extra ticket barriers on the south side rather than tunnels/ bridges etc. If they didnt have a ticket they would have to go around the front.
That would remove some of the benefits of the entrance as it would prevent south side access to the Metro, unless the barriers could accept both types of ticket.
Old December 7th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #649
Andym

Likes (Received): 465

The south end was from nicky nock,ravensworth drift and lady park pits up to team colliery on the ouston and pelaw system rather than the bowes. the north end to huwoods was a truncated sir thomas liddells team way waggonway which served ravensworth colliery and was originally wooden rails travelling to the Tyne west of the confluence with the river team passing through the area later occupied by norwood coke works. My dad worked there and confirmed that the line looped around to the front of huwoods. This is apparent on the old os map I found online.
Andym no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #650
cranfan

Likes (Received): 70

And there's problems enough staffing the barriers as it is.
cranfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 01:31 AM   #651
leauk
Ashington born and bred.

Anyone know the price of a single from Newcastle Central to the Metrocentre?
leauk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 05:29 AM   #652
Squipper

Interesting, more advice is needed please!
Old December 8th, 2012, 06:02 AM   #653
Manors
Between Manors and Byker

Likes (Received): 19

£2.20 for a Standard Day Single, think it is £2.50 for an Off Peak Day Return
Manors no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #654
Squipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manors View Post
That's good, cheaper than bus!
Old December 8th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #655
Andym

Likes (Received): 465

Try google.com/site/waggonways for some great maps of waggonways in the north east including locations of all the winding engines, pits and some dates and names of systems.the engine for nicky nock is just west of the a167 opposite team colliery then there was a further engine at a site opposite the seven stars in wrekenton,inclined planes crossing the branding junction railway just west of Pelaw station and on to the Tyne.
Andym no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #656
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym View Post
Try google.com/site/waggonways for some great maps of waggonways in the north east including locations of all the winding engines, pits and some dates and names of systems.the engine for nicky nock is just west of the a167 opposite team colliery then there was a further engine at a site opposite the seven stars in wrekenton,inclined planes crossing the branding junction railway just west of Pelaw station and on to the Tyne.

Yes, an excellent Website

It is listed in "Section 09" of our WEBSITES Listing Thread, one of our 'Sticky' threads at the top of the Forum.

Extract . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
09 - LOCAL INTEREST WEBSITES : Local PHOTOS, Local HISTORY and GENERAL 'LOCAL INTEREST' Websites

W

WAGGONWAYS IN NORTH EAST ENGLAND
https://sites.google.com/site/waggonways/
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #657
Northern Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonlad View Post
That would remove some of the benefits of the entrance as it would prevent south side access to the Metro, unless the barriers could accept both types of ticket.
If you every been to London they have armies of staff manning the ticket barriers. Even the stations on the outskirts of the tube system. Sure its not an overask for the size of central station
#(p.s. dont want to get into another conversation comparing north and south etc)
Old December 8th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #658
Apoc89

Likes (Received): 55

Not sure if this is the most appropriate place for this question, but I figured it's the best without having to sign up to some site I'll never use again.

The last two times I booked trains online from East Coast, I went to the station to collect my tickets from the machines, and when I put my card in when asked it gives me an error message about being unable to read my card. I tried this with multiple machines and they all give the same message.

When it first happened I suspected a problem with the card, but the readers at the manned offices read it perfectly well(which resolved the problem in the short term) and I've since used it to withdraw cash, and make purchases both online and offline without trouble. It's just these ticket machines that are giving me trouble.

Anyone have an idea what's going on? My main theory is that the card's magnetic strip is damaged/corrupted but the chip is fine and the machines use the former, but I'd like something beyond a wild guess.
Apoc89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #659
Squipper

Quote:
Not sure if this is the most appropriate place for this question, but I figured it's the best without having to sign up to some site I'll never use again.
Possibly one on of best ways to start an ignored thread!
Old December 8th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #660
leauk
Ashington born and bred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manors View Post
Thanks. Do they still have ticket machines at the station?
leauk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
newcastle, newcastle transport, rail, railways, transport