Central Station Redevelopment | Newcastle | Various | U/C - Page 12 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old June 16th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #221
Turnbull2000

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
Private Eye

The station portico [re]development has the honour of being the lead story in the latest issue of the eye's Nooks and Corners. Highly recommended.
Could you please offer a brief summary?! Is it critical of NCC?

Last edited by Turnbull2000; June 16th, 2013 at 11:04 AM.
Turnbull2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #222
vx999

Likes (Received): 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnbull2000 View Post
Could you please offer a brief summary?! Is it critical of NCC?
It wouldn't appear to be that complimentary, what i presume is an excerpt, on their website:

Quote:
With Piloti:

"For a century and a half this porte-cochère has been Newcastle’s gateway. Arriving or departing passengers have been able to board or alight from taxis protected from the weather inside this impressive, functional structure which enhances both the experience and the city. But no longer.

Some bright spark has noticed that it offers yet another retail opportunity, so, after minimal public consultation, Network Rail and East Coast railways are going to glaze in the arches ‘to create a dramatic new public and retail space’…”
From here.
vx999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #223
Turnbull2000

Likes (Received): 57

I do agree with PE. This scheme is a travesty. It's simply not needed, and will cause all sorts of mayhem in terms of traffic flow and travellers getting soaked as they walk for a taxi! Will have to pick up a copy.
Turnbull2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #224
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 1217

I'm best not copying it onto here - copyright and all that. You can assume it's highly uncomplimentary.
Quote:
'......In Newcastle a grand and existing public space is being sealed off and given over to shops. Nice as it may be to have better coffee shops and the opportunity to buy, say, socks, this scarcely benefits the railway passenger. But how naive to think that the central purpose of a railway station is to make travelling and easy, enjoyable and elevating experience...
Gives a flavour.
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #225
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

I get the impression that the website at the other end of that link has been updated as I can't find that story. Saying that, I get the general gist of it.

I think they're right too. It seems that increasingly, wherever you look, everyone's trying to sell you something. Yet no one's noticed that also increasingly, no one's buying...

A great example is the Southbank Centre trying to turf out the skate park that has been beneath it for decades now. A genuine, organic piece of culture turfed out to be replaced with yet another coffee shop.

http://www.londonskateparks.co.uk/skateparks/southbank/

AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #226
minimoog

Likes (Received): 169

Thing is, using the existing porte cochere is anything but 'enjoyable and elevating'. The damn thing's a hole.

I've got nothing against making it a passenger concourse per se except that the new traffic (mis)management scheme is a seriously retrograde and inconvenient step. I refer to the ludicrous re-routing of cars using the Westgate Road approach to Neville St and the circuitous route into the short-stay/drop off car park. On that basis I'd prefer to see the portico cleaned and generally spruced up but otherwise retained as-is.
minimoog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #227
cranfan

Likes (Received): 70

I'm sure that if the porte cochere had always been an extension of the concourse, plans to dig up the floor, tarmac it over and open it up for taxis and drop-offs would cause an absolute outcry.
cranfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #228
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 62

I'm perfectly happy to have cafes and sock shops. Compared with other major stations the facilities at Newcastle are somewhat sparse. But far better make use of the long and (I presume) largely unused, range of offices that form part of the original building, as Sainsbury's did.
Old June 17th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #229
thenorthumbrian
The Northumbrian

Likes (Received): 360

It's always been a really great end to a train journey to be stuck on an enclosed space choking on taxi fumes in a scruffy area. How date anyone try and change that
I wonder if the person writing this critical article could find Newcastle on a map.
Old June 17th, 2013, 02:07 AM   #230
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorthumbrian View Post
It's always been a really great end to a train journey to be stuck on an enclosed space choking on taxi fumes in a scruffy area. How date anyone try and change that
I wonder if the person writing this critical article could find Newcastle on a map.
There's enough detail in the piece that that I suspect he might.....[by the way his real name is Gavin Stamp].

My reservation on the project has nothing to do with the splendid public space that will be created. I use the station a reasonable amount myself and it might be a nice place for a coffee too.

My concern is that buildings don't sit in isolation and that it's causing a fair degree of traffic chaos and will continue to do so. It will be more of a trek for a cab [the drivers of which are charged terrifying sums for pick up permits], just like the elderly chap I saw there on coming back from London a week or so ago. He was clearly used to Newcastle, was using a walking frame and expected to be able to get a cab from under the portico... and couldn't.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 08:41 PM   #231
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4778

Central Station Disruption - 1979

Couple of old prints from 1979 showing the last major disruption to the flow of traffic when the Metro Station was being constructed.

Images hosted on http://ellwood.fototime.com/Central%20Station

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013, 12:04 AM   #232
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2098

Some other photos of the disruption to, and around, the Portico during construction of the 'Central Station Underground Station' in the late 1970s, first shown on this forum in October and November 2009 . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
November 27th 2009.

Here is the MASSIVE amount of disruption around Central Station Portico, during Metro construction in the late 1970s . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
October 20th 2009.

They had to dismantle part of the Portico, then rebuild it, to build the underground Metro Station!

Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013, 10:25 AM   #233
Squipper

Likes (Received): 142

Wow, some serious disruption there!

Squipper
Royal Air Force
Survival Equipment Fitter
Squipper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:42 PM   #234
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

I am sure this has been covered in this thread before but.... no wonder the cabbies are spitting blood. Had cause to go to Orchard St Post Office today and discovered the 'new' taxi rank is behind the station on Forth St where a series of bays have been changed from parking to taxi. So instead of leading the station and getting into a cab [see most of the rest of the world] I have to walk out of the station and do 3 sides of a fairly large square....

Here's a business proposition - we club together and lease a shop in front of the station, put a great big sign in the window saying taxis and have people come into the warm to wait until their [cheaper] private hire car pulls up.

I d not realised quite how far away the rank was
Old July 22nd, 2013, 07:01 PM   #235
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Here's a business proposition - we club together and lease a shop in front of the station, put a great big sign in the window saying taxis and have people come into the warm to wait until their [cheaper] private hire car pulls up.
If NCC/the authorities responsible don't change things, you'd make a fortune.

It's also insane to not be able to get a taxi outside the train station, as you can pretty much everywhere else on the planet.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 07:46 PM   #236
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

Isn't it just a temporary measure though until the works are completed, i.e. the taxis will be closer to the station when it's done?
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 09:24 PM   #237
Delaval

Likes (Received): 102

Quote:
I am sure this has been covered in this thread before but.... no wonder the cabbies are spitting blood. Had cause to go to Orchard St Post Office today and discovered the 'new' taxi rank is behind the station on Forth St where a series of bays have been changed from parking to taxi. So instead of leading the station and getting into a cab [see most of the rest of the world] I have to walk out of the station and do 3 sides of a fairly large square
Isn't that the waiting area? I thought the taxi pick-up was to the east of the portico?
Delaval no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 09:27 PM   #238
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaval View Post
Isn't that the waiting area? I thought the taxi pick-up was to the east of the portico?
I don t know - it certainly seems to 'signed' as a taxi rank. I ll try and get pics tomorrow.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:24 PM   #239
kedos

Likes (Received): 7

Taxis just use that area to rank as well as the usual one in the tunnel (not sure why they need that much space - FYI they also use the entrance of the road to the sorting office to turn around in and have blocked the entrance on a couple of occasions that I've passed). The pickup point is in an area just next to the left of the entrance to Centurion. Still, I get your point about waiting outside though its nowhere near as much of a walk as you think!
kedos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:18 AM   #240
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 819

I'm sure the local taxi firm will be open to rent some of the space that will be available to retailers in the portico, it's up to them to take up some space and use it as booking office and waiting area. If not then why complain?

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction, constructions, developments, england, newcastle, newcastle transport, project, project - newcastle area, projects, rail, railways, redevelopment, transport, united kingdom