Central Station Redevelopment | Newcastle | Various | U/C - Page 52 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old March 1st, 2015, 05:44 PM   #1021
Stamford

Likes (Received): 684

1st March 2015

DSCN6327 by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN6328 by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN6329 by stamford0001, on Flickr

My Photostream on Flikr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Stamford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2015, 10:22 PM   #1022
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 178

The remaining Tarmac area opposite the main entrance was being dug up by traffic signals today.
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 01:44 AM   #1023
Station Master

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Swall View Post
The remaining Tarmac area opposite the main entrance was being dug up by traffic signals today.
Wow! Were they robot traffic signals!? I'd have thought they'd have just got workmen to do it!

leauk, CDB00, Stamford liked this post
Station Master no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2015, 10:08 AM   #1024
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station Master View Post
Wow! Were they robot traffic signals!? I'd have thought they'd have just got workmen to do it!

I should have used caps there.
Maybe there should have been robot workers as CS has taken getting on for two years now!
Be nice to me, it's my birthday today.

Newcastle Historian liked this post
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 11:38 PM   #1025
Stamford

As mentioned already........

DSCN6376 by stamford0001, on Flickr

Sooner they finish it, the better as I don't think having this size of vehicle regularly on the normal pavement will do the pavement any good.

DSCN6377 by stamford0001, on Flickr

Old March 4th, 2015, 10:06 AM   #1026
David Aspinall

Likes (Received): 144

One thing that nobody seems to have noticed. The station portico, which has just been closed in, is built of lovely warm sandstone. It couldn't be built today as the skills are missing. After spending a heck of a lot of money building the interior they haven't even pointed the exterior stonework! It's not going to fall down or anything but you'd think they'd do a proper job (or maybe not).

There's a tunnel runs from under the station to the old post office building behind (and not a lot of people know that). The water tower, nearby, is probably listed and is very handsome but neglected. It's too close to the lines for a retail development and has an air of dereliction.
David Aspinall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 10:56 AM   #1027
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2098

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aspinall View Post
There's a tunnel runs from under the station to the old post office building behind (and not a lot of people know that). The water tower, nearby, is probably listed and is very handsome but neglected. It's too close to the lines for a retail development and has an air of dereliction.

The old tunnels under Central Station have been discussed a bit here on the forum, in the past.

Links to those posts (and about some proposals/ideas for 'new' tunnels) are listed on the INDEX THREAD, under "C" for 'Central Station', an extract from which is copied below . . .

Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 11:09 AM   #1028
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2098

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aspinall View Post
One thing that nobody seems to have noticed. The station portico, which has just been closed in, is built of lovely warm sandstone. It couldn't be built today as the skills are missing.

Here are TWO photos of the Central Station Portico, under construction in 1848 . .

Here is a photo from (I think) 1959, of major works being done to the portico . .

Here are the late 1970s works on the corner of the Portico, while the Underground Line and Underground Station were being built for the Metro . .

All of the above photos (though I have had them on my hard drive for many years, taken from original prints) can be found on the "Newcastle City Council/City Libraries PHOTOSTREAM" Website - https://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlelibraries/

Steve Ellwood, ferret88 liked this post
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 12:32 PM   #1029
Superunknown90
BANNED

Likes (Received): 62

Amazing. Didn't realise the Portico had been extensively modified over the years. I'm surprised it has lasted.
Superunknown90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 02:04 PM   #1030
No Opinion

Likes (Received): 1022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Here are TWO photos of the Central Station Portico, under construction in 1848 . .

Amazing photos NH!

However, my understanding is that the portico was not constructed in 1848 (which would be too early to photograph at this 'quality'!)

I believe that Central Station was built in 1848-50, and the portico was added later in 1863 I believe, which would be more apt a date for being able to be photographed!

Those laminated timber trusses are also very similar to the description of the original laminate timber roof built by Dobson in the Grainger Market hall, before it burned down. This could mean the portico was built 16 years after Dobson designed it to his very design!

What is perhaps a travesty is that this timber was ripped out by presumably BR to make office space in the portico roof, your pics only slightly make it out.

Dobson was one of the few architects to really experiment with advanced structural materials in his time. We are grateful that we have representing our region a provincial architect that mastered both the past, as evidenced by his fine neoclassical and gothic buildings throughout Newcastle and beyond, but also someone that wasn't afraid to invent a new type of metal structured roof or utilise new timber technology. Perhaps Central Station with its fašade facing Neville Street representing the best of his past, and the trainshed looking to the future of construction.

This is why the portico redevelopment with a bit more money could have opened up the portico roof with a laminated timber framed glazed skylight, lightening the space but also reinstating a nod to an innovative feature of Dobson sadly to my knowledge no longer present in the city.

minimoog liked this post
No Opinion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 12:58 AM   #1031
HippyUK
Happy Wanderer

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post

Here are the late 1970s works on the corner of the Portico, while the Underground Line and Underground Station were being built for the Metro . .

All of the above photos (though I have had them on my hard drive for many years, taken from original prints) can be found on the "Newcastle City Council/City Libraries PHOTOSTREAM" Website -

Lovely. That top one is mine, not yet bequeathed to the Library. Wait until I die for that.

Newcastle Historian liked this post
HippyUK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 02:46 PM   #1032
Superunknown90
BANNED

There's office spaces inside the portico roof!?
Old March 5th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #1033
novonew47

Likes (Received): 271

it is great to see this work coming to an end as its taken almost 21 months to bring this project to completion, first evidence I can find of the actual start of the road works is way back in kens photographic post 215 section( 11) 8th June 2013. just wondering has any body seen any evidence of the exciting lighting scheme we were promised by the council or is it yet to be installed? cheers..

Last edited by novonew47; March 5th, 2015 at 03:44 PM. Reason: typo
novonew47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 03:53 PM   #1034
novonew47

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown90 View Post
yes it is a bit of a surprise to find that there are offices in the roof. imagine if they were not there and the portico roof was fully glazed. that would have given the portico the extra wow factor. cheers
novonew47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 08:26 PM   #1035
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4778

Enterprise Car Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
2015/0112/01/DET | Change of use of office unit to vehicle hire (Sui Generis) (Retrospective) | Newcastle Central Station Neville Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5DL

Reference 2015/0112/01/DET
Alternative Reference PP-03899342
Application Received Tue 20 Jan 2015
Application Validated Fri 30 Jan 2015
Address Newcastle Central Station Neville Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5DL
Proposal Change of use of office unit to vehicle hire (Sui Generis) (Retrospective)
Status Registered
Decision Not Available
https://publicaccessapplications.new...=NIGRGQBSH9600
On the Planning Portal as Granted

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 08:26 PM   #1036
geordiejon

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by novonew47 View Post
yes it is a bit of a surprise to find that there are offices in the roof. imagine if they were not there and the portico roof was fully glazed. that would have given the portico the extra wow factor. cheers
The problem with glass roofs is that unless they are regularly cleaned they get dirty quickly. I imagine a full glazed roof would have gone down this dirty route very quickly

leauk liked this post
geordiejon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #1037
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Yes. They are laid out in an unexpected arrangement with rooms to the north of an east west corridor, but spaced out such that each room has windows looking onto the flat roof on their east and west faces (and of course looking into each other). They are timber built, but the standard of construction of these high level rooms is poor and are prone to suffering from cold, draughts and leaks.
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 11:24 AM   #1038
Superunknown90
BANNED

I take it the office spaces in the portico were modelled in the 1950s?
Old March 6th, 2015, 11:56 AM   #1039
No Opinion

Likes (Received): 1022

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiejon View Post
The problem with glass roofs is that unless they are regularly cleaned they get dirty quickly. I imagine a full glazed roof would have gone down this dirty route very quickly
Not if you use self cleaning glass and its not difficult to design in maintenance access
No Opinion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 05:31 PM   #1040
Stamford

Quote:
Amazing. Didn't realise the Portico had been extensively modified over the years. I'm surprised it has lasted.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by novonew47 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiejon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXNewcastle View Post
Yes. They are laid out in an unexpected arrangement with rooms to the north of an east west corridor, but spaced out such that each room has windows looking onto the flat roof on their east and west faces (and of course looking into each other). They are timber built, but the standard of construction of these high level rooms is poor and are prone to suffering from cold, draughts and leaks.
Quote:
I take it the office spaces in the portico were modelled in the 1950s?
I never realised there were offices up there, but they show up quite well on Google Maps satellite view......which can be rotated through 360 degrees too in the close up angled views

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=NE1...d+Kingdom&z=20

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction, constructions, developments, england, newcastle, newcastle transport, project, project - newcastle area, projects, rail, railways, redevelopment, transport, united kingdom