City Centre - Hotel Developments - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Sheffield Metro Area

Sheffield Metro Area For Sheffield, Doncaster and Rotherham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2006, 10:25 PM   #1
snup

Likes (Received): 35

City Centre - Hotel Developments

Sheffield is experiencing a mini hotel-boom that started with the successful opening last year of the 4-star, 161 bedroom MacDonald St Paul’s hotel. This is an overview of some of the new city centre hotels currently under construction or that have been approved.

According to the "2005 Hotel Britain" report, Sheffield came second in the UK after Gatwick in terms of the highest room yield growth (Gatwick +13.8% against Sheffield +10.2%). In terms of occupancy Sheffield came joint second (+4.5%) after Heathrow and Slough(+5.9%). Gatwick also saw the highest average room rate growth (up 7.7%), closely followed by Bristol (+ 7.6%) and Reading (+ 5.8%). It is expected that Sheffield will soon be in the top of room rate growth as well. Not surprisingly that there is a good number of hotels under construction or being proposed in Sheffield.

Hotels currently under construction

The Leopold Hotel
Part of the Leopold Square development the hotel will be housed in the fabulous Grade 1 listed former Education headquarters on Leopold Street.

Operator: Unknown, pre-let to Dublin’s PremGroup
Type of hotel: 4 star
Number of rooms: 92
Opening: January 2007

Castlegate
Part of the mixed-use “TheSquare" development by Carillion.

Operator: Travelodge
Type of hotel: budget 2-3 star
Number of rooms: 114
Opening: December 2006

ETAP Hotel - Attercliffe Common
Currently under construction next to the former Players Pub on Attercliffe Common near the Sheffield Arena and Don Valley Stadium.

Operator: ETAP by Accor Hotels
Type of hotel: budget, 2-3 star
Number of rooms: 121
Opening: Dec 06 – Jan 07

Approved hotel developments

Sheffield United Hotel - Bramall Lane
This eight-storey development is part of Sheffield United’s £50 million “Blades Leisure Park” complex, next to Bramall Lane stadium.

Operator: unknown
Type of hotel: 4 star
Number of rooms: 146
Opening: Construction will start Autumn 2006

Church St Hotel
A seven-storey boutique hotel that will be built on the corner of St. James' St and Vicar Lane.

Type of hotel: boutique
Number of rooms: 52
Opening: Construction due to start in January 2007

Former Postoffice
Expressions of hotel groups are currently being sought by the developer of this 9 storey hotel that will complement the refurbishment of the Grade II listed former Royal Mail Post Office building.

Type of hotel: unknown
Number of rooms: 97
Opening: Proposed - Planning permission obtained

Proposed hotel developments

Tulip Inn - St. Mary’s Gate
This hotel, run by the Golden Tulip hotel group will form part of the proposed development on the corner of St. Mary’s Gate and Young St.

Operator: Tulip Inn by Golden Tulip
Type of hotel: budget, 3 star
Number of rooms: 120
Opening: Planning proposal submitted - Due for completion in 2008

Furnival Square / Eyre St
A new 8/9 storey office and hotel proposal for the Office World site on Furnival Square roundabout. (BTW, the hotel is the building on the right)

Operator: Jurys hotels
Type of hotel: unknown
Number of rooms: unknown
Opening: Planning proposal submitted

WestBar Boutique Hotel
Part of the £315 million Westbar riverside scheme a 20-storey hotel is proposed by developers Castlemore Securites.

Type of hotel: 4-5 star
Number of rooms: 240
Opening: Concept
snup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2006, 01:20 AM   #2
jozblade
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 7

Wow thats great news. I wouldnt have expected Sheffield to be so high!
jozblade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 01:30 AM   #3
Bladerunner

Likes (Received): 1192

Looks like this is the old render for the BDTBL hotel. It has been scaled down now, and won't be taller than any part of the stadium.

By the way, let's not start new threads for the sake of it if there are perfectly good, relevant threads we can add comments to.

Bladerunner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2006, 01:39 AM   #4
Alfie

Likes (Received): 0

I think this is a perfectly valid thread -for one thing it shows how much is in the pipeline and to me that if all this (and more) goes ahead there's going to be an oversupply of hotel beds in the mid-market in sheffield over the next 3-5 years. Sheff will be sliding down those tables. We need more companies based in sheff and more high profile conferences to fill the rooms.
Alfie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #5
Bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie
I think this is a perfectly valid thread -for one thing it shows how much is in the pipeline and to me that if all this (and more) goes ahead there's going to be an oversupply of hotel beds in the mid-market in sheffield over the next 3-5 years. Sheff will be sliding down those tables. We need more companies based in sheff and more high profile conferences to fill the rooms.
Sorry, didn't mean to single this one out in particular. The hotel stuff is interesting. But I maintain that we don't need a new thread for each items of news - much of it could be posted on e.g. the Sheffield Developments thread or Sheffield Transport thread
Old July 9th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #6
LINCS OWL

Likes (Received): 61

Sorry, didn't mean to single this one out in particular. The hotel stuff is interesting. But I maintain that we don't need a new thread for each items of news - much of it could be posted on e.g. the Sheffield Developments thread or Sheffield Transport thread

Well I found it interesting to have all the hotel proposals on one page. All we need now is the tourists or businessmen to use them.
Doesn't seem five minutes since the big Grand Hotel-which was on the Fargate side of the City Hall- was demolished as there was a lack of demand for hotel beds in Sheffield. Shame-it was a lovely building.
LINCS OWL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #7
adsheff
adSheff

Still can't believe the state of that church street thing! aarghhh!
adsheff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 11:14 AM   #8
eighty4

Likes (Received): 480

Although i love sheffiled i know it aint a world class city and it probably wont ever be, which is kinda good kinda bad.

I wish something like the metroplis hotel in auckland would be built in sheffield, i live a stonethrow away from it. I can dream .....

TO get an idea of how big the tower is here's a shot of the skyline, you can see it the left of the picture

Old July 10th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #9
jozblade
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 7

Isn't that the building you said a bit ago, is around the same height as Conran Tower will be?
jozblade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #10
Bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighty4
Although i love sheffiled i know it aint a world class city and it probably wont ever be, which is kinda good kinda bad.
Íf by 'world class city' you mean a city with lots of skyscrapers clustered together, you're right. But that yardstick would put almost every US city with over 100k inhabitants in the 'world class' league, while barring cities like Hamburg, Copenhagen and Lisbon.

Sheffield is one of the major British cities, and welcomes visitors from all over the world. While not a capital, it is comparable to Aukland in terms of population (500k plus). If all Sheffield's high rises were located in one area, it would have an impressive skyline too.
Old July 10th, 2006, 01:11 PM   #11
Jamie

That building is sick. A horrible mess that would look crap in any part of Sheffield. Shit post-modernist architecture..... what could be more wrong. If Orchard Square had a skyscraper- that would be it.... HELL
Jamie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #12
Unisol

I don't like it either - at all!

It would look completely out of place in Sheffield.

The picture of the Aukland skyline looks rather odd too. Looks like a load of random building images cut and pasted into a small area.
Unisol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #13
eighty4

Likes (Received): 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozblade
Isn't that the building you said a bit ago, is around the same height as Conran Tower will be?
nope this one is 509ft, as for the population of auckland its just over 1 million, but the econmy is better here than sheffield hence 10x more development.

That pic doesnt show auckland in its best light theres some more pics here

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=291577
Old July 11th, 2006, 11:34 AM   #14
Alfie

Stop dissing Auckland, guys, we wouldn't begrudge having a cluster of high-rises like those!
Old July 11th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #15
lewisskinner
do me bad things

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie
for one thing it shows how much is in the pipeline and to me that if all this (and more) goes ahead there's going to be an oversupply of hotel beds in the mid-market in sheffield over the next 3-5 years. Sheff will be sliding down those tables. We need more companies based in sheff and more high profile conferences to fill the rooms.
Sorry, but you're talking shit. One or two events can fill hotels. I read something in the Sheffield telegraph last week about the Night the Red Hot Chili Peppers played Don Valley Stadium. There was some other expo on that same night, and hotels were so overbooked that people were staying in Rotherham, Doncaster, Leeds and Even Hull, and getting trains back afterwards.

Just a handfull of large events in Sheffield could sell-out most hotels in SY.
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:20 PM   #16
soupçon
Non!

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by snup
Part of the Leopold Square development the hotel will be housed in the fabulous Grade 1 listed former Education headquarters on Leopold Street.
I thought the only Grade 1 buildings in Sheffield were the cathedral, town hall, abbeydale hamlet and the churches in Ecclesfield and Bradfield...

Thanks snup - interesting thread. I love the Church Street one - good bit of juxtaposing, as pretentious developer types might say.
soupçon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 11:25 PM   #17
Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisskinner
Sorry, but you're talking shit. One or two events can fill hotels. I read something in the Sheffield telegraph last week about the Night the Red Hot Chili Peppers played Don Valley Stadium. There was some other expo on that same night, and hotels were so overbooked that people were staying in Rotherham, Doncaster, Leeds and Even Hull, and getting trains back afterwards.

Just a handfull of large events in Sheffield could sell-out most hotels in SY.
It's basic supply and demand: developers are hoping to cash in on the under-supply in the city. As the supply goes up, the chances are that the return will go down (if not for developers for hoteliers) unless demand also rises. Headlining events are good for business - for the night they last. Leeds, Manchester etc don't attract such massive growth in their services because of a string of concerts but because their underlying economy and inward investment is so good. My point is simply that we need to see more significant job creation to sustain all this development.
Old July 11th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #18
snup

Likes (Received): 35

You're right Soupcon, it is indeed Grade II listed, typo there.
snup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #19
S.Yorks Capital

Likes (Received): 3

Auckland and Sheffield are actually the same size. Sheffield is probably even bigger.

Auckland City- 425,400
Auckland Metro- 1,320,700

Sheffield City- 516,100
Sheffield Metro-1,819,700

The reason Auckland has a better skyline and bigger buildings is because it is New Zealands financial and commercial capital and its largest city.
S.Yorks Capital no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #20
Bladerunner

Sheffield has had a hard time of it. As a steel producing city it was bombed to f*ck during the war, and lots of its majestic old Victorian buildings were destroyed. Then it had to suffer some horrific roads and public housing schemes being built in the 60's, and other good buildings were destroyed in the name of progress. Then, the depression of the late 70's and early 80's destroyed its steel manufacturing base and put tens of thousands on the dole. The demise of coal industry also affected sheffield's economy badly.

The city looks OK, considering what it has gone through over the last 70 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement