Media Midlands - Page 265 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2018, 10:35 PM   #5281
Planey28

Likes (Received): 417

I’d like to see this amazing incredible change that is consistently mentioned on this forum about Manchester. I see more change going on in Brum whenever I visit at the moment. There’s a lot going on up here and lots of interesting things happening in the city centre but wow is it overblown.

Anyway congrats to Leeds. Surprise move as the media were consistently banging on about it being a Brum/Manc competition. Nice bit of balance in the “northern powerhouse” for a change.
Planey28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2018, 10:41 PM   #5282
Fenton1

Likes (Received): 43

With Manchester massively over represented in the national media already it would have been extremely difficult to justify C4 moving there. Given that Bham should really have walked this. Fair play to Leeds, a city I like, but you have to think the message about Bham still isn't changing nationally. It just makes so much more sense surely for C4 to have come to Bham, and yet they still picked somewhere else

Sonnycrockett liked this post
Fenton1 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2018, 10:42 PM   #5283
mileymc1

Likes (Received): 3340

Does anyone think it went beyond competition? We all know Andy Street (B'ham mayor) and Andy Burnham (Man mayor) are fighting for their own city. Behind the scenes I can imagine it to be ruthless between these two cities in particular. Councils, developers, investors doing everything to have one over on each other by playing games, bribes, under cutting and dirty tricks.

Maybe C4 thought the humble offer from Leeds was the best. Would actually be funny and karma for both B'ham and MAN if that was apart of the reason.
mileymc1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2018, 10:49 PM   #5284
markmcd1976

Likes (Received): 579

I’d still be interested the hear why Andy Street thought we’d won it a few months back.

djay, Rijowhi liked this post
markmcd1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2018, 10:56 PM   #5285
daj

Likes (Received): 363

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcd1976 View Post
Iíd still be interested the hear why Andy Street thought weíd won it a few months back.
I agree. I thought that was a mistake when I heard it and it has come back to haunt him.

Rijowhi liked this post
daj está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2018, 11:10 PM   #5286
JBGee

Likes (Received): 2788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planey28 View Post
Iíd like to see this amazing incredible change that is consistently mentioned on this forum about Manchester. I see more change going on in Brum whenever I visit at the moment. Thereís a lot going on up here and lots of interesting things happening in the city centre but wow is it overblown.

Greengate, Great Jackson Street, Middlewood Locks, Circle Square (former BBC site), Old Granada Studios...have you see the size of these sites all being built on at the same time?

How long have you lived in the area? All the above have been surface car parks/wasteland/empty for as long as I can remember. Just a little £1B expansion of the airport going on too btw along with continuous new tram lines.

I donít mean to hijack the thread, but maybe open your eyes and have some knowledge about what was there before.
JBGee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2018, 11:10 PM   #5287
BhamBadger

Likes (Received): 1601

Andy more than thought. He practically promised and swore. Iím glad people havenít forgotten.
Old October 31st, 2018, 11:14 PM   #5288
markmcd1976

And which city complained and pushed back the decision date?
Old October 31st, 2018, 11:16 PM   #5289
Subliving
Mhmm?

Likes (Received): 1448

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruit&nut View Post
Not confused at all.

City to city Leeds is circa 750k, Manchester about 500k population.

You’ll probably drag up the GM thing now, but that’s not relevant to my point.
A five minute walk around both cities would correct your assertions.

Manchester and Birmingham are both bigger than Leeds. Not talking about useless paper statistics here, but real world. Paper would suggest that London has a population roughly 10% that of Reddich. I think we know that not to be the case.

Subliving.

AUTOTHRILL, Rijowhi liked this post
Subliving está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2018, 11:25 PM   #5290
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2846

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamBadger View Post
Andy more than thought. He practically promised and swore. Iím glad people havenít forgotten.
Can anyone name something tangible that he actually delivered that wasnít already in the pipeline?

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

ReissOmari liked this post
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2018, 11:30 PM   #5291
Brum X

Likes (Received): 18919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Birmingham is marketed astoundingly poorly.

The regions investment name is terrible, the way it goes about seeking inward investment is useless.

I know that the city has been stalling for years. So much so that Iíve given up on it in terms of significant growth to make it any more than it is, a regional city with Ďaspirationsí but not really fulfilling them or doing anything outside of the box.

The council is poorly run, the only option around 3-4 years ago was to make Birmingham solely responsible for itself in terms of investment which would start to filter through to the region but the PC brigade went the opposite way and ****ed it up. Iíve never quite got over what a dumb move it was and can be seen in so many aspects of the cities development. From construction, to media, to office relocations, to amenities.

My word, we have HS2 coming to the city and we have embarrassed ourselves IMO.

The planning committee are contradictive, beaks in every second of the day, theyíre an unimaginative bunch which holds the city back also.

All in all, as previous post, what you see in Birmingham, what you see as progression, is progression, but itís no more than what a city the size of Birmingham should have. There is no boom, there is no reason to brag about it. It is sterile. Itís stagnant. Itís actualky underperforming.

Simple truths. Weak leadership.
What a depressing post

rotundazag, Lucas98 liked this post
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2018, 11:33 PM   #5292
Brum X

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotundazag View Post
I donít begrudge Leeds in the slightest - itís a great city - good luck to them.

Weíve got plenty to be positive about (we know the negatives & all cities have them, so weíre not unique in that respect) letís celebrate whatís round the corner - just think - the commonwealth games, HSBC HQ, HS2, 103 Colmore, Arena & Paradise, Axis, various residential talls like Modaís 2on2, the extension of the Tram and the possibility of film studios courtesy of Steven Knight.

As our motto sez - ďForward!Ē
I love this guy

mylesbrum, rotundazag, Lucas98, brummie1 liked this post
Old October 31st, 2018, 11:33 PM   #5293
daj

Likes (Received): 363

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Can anyone name something tangible that he actually delivered that wasnít already in the pipeline?
I think that Andy Street is the right man for the job, but his remarks about C4 were overconfidence gone mad.

He has certainly been very proactive with the Camp Hill line and things appear to be happening. He was probably also a major player in the Commonwealth Games bid.

Rijowhi liked this post
daj está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2018, 11:35 PM   #5294
Planey28

Likes (Received): 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by daj View Post
I think that Andy Street is the right man for the job, but his remarks about C4 were overconfidence gone mad.

He has certainly been very proactive with the Camp Hill line and things appear to be happening. He was probably also a major player in the Commonwealth Games bid.
I would imagine what's going on with the railway was already in development back before the WMCA existed.

The only real change is the funding government have rewarded us with in exchange for a mayor and CA.
Planey28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2018, 11:38 PM   #5295
markmcd1976

I like Andy Street, but he got this wrong. It’s not the end of the world. Plenty of good stuff going on.

Brum X, BhamJim, Rijowhi, Sonnycrockett liked this post
Old October 31st, 2018, 11:40 PM   #5296
Brum X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post
Some people complain about the West Midlands name - well, West Yorkshire has done okay today; Leeds isn't suffering due to that name.

So it seems that West is best. West Warwickshire actually has a nice ring to it if Birmingham wants a better name.
But when have you heard anybody say "West Yorkshire" today ?? ZILCH

Today is all about Leeds Leeds Leeds.
Old November 1st, 2018, 12:31 AM   #5297
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 2115

Nobody would actually do this would they?

https://mobile.twitter.com/jimwaters...53598711173120
BlackCountryAl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2018, 12:35 AM   #5298
jd88

Likes (Received): 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileymc1 View Post
Does anyone think it went beyond competition? We all know Andy Street (B'ham mayor) and Andy Burnham (Man mayor) are fighting for their own city. Behind the scenes I can imagine it to be ruthless between these two cities in particular. Councils, developers, investors doing everything to have one over on each other by playing games, bribes, under cutting and dirty tricks.

Maybe C4 thought the humble offer from Leeds was the best. Would actually be funny and karma for both B'ham and MAN if that was apart of the reason.
You've probably got a point here.

Congratulations to Leeds. It's a great area of the country that tends to get overlooked and has also produced some major broadcasting talents over the last 50 years.

If I was to think totally impartially and see the bigger picture then I actually think Glasgow would have been the correct choice out of all the original options. Given that the country is exiting the European Union in some form or another next year we are going to need the support of all parts of the UK in order to become the best of ourselves.

I still think that Channel 4 News should be broadcast from Glasgow as a secondary location in the future - it is important.

That said following Channel 4's own decision criteria they have made a somewhat leftfield pick: a working population of at least 200,000, within 3 hrs travel of Channel 4's London HQ and excellent transport and digital infrastructure. Does Leeds shine out as being the obvious candidate here? I won't say any more.

From Birmingham's and ALL of the West Midlands' (you can probably include East Midlands as well) perspective this is painful. We cannot pretend that it is otherwise. Once that pain has dulled a little we should carefully consider all elements in detail as to why the bid didn't go this regions's way - even the political elements - and then come again.

Lastly, most media sources keep on mentioning talent: talent can be cultivated and trained and in other circumstances can be imported or exported, it is not fixed.
jd88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2018, 12:36 AM   #5299
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2846

Quote:
Originally Posted by daj View Post

Camp Hill was planned before him and so were the games. Did he have an influence? Maybe but I do think any other person would probably have achieved both to tbh.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2018, 12:38 AM   #5300
BhamBadger

Likes (Received): 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum X View Post
But when have you heard anybody say "West Yorkshire" today ?? ZILCH

Today is all about Leeds Leeds Leeds.

Just like this bid was Birmingham Birmingham Birmingham.

Stop getting attached to the name issue. It's just an easy scapegoat. That is absolutely inconsequential.

Look at the actual reasons, analyse this situation vaguely critically, then come back if you GENUINELY think that suddenly if this were called something other than West Midlands we would suddenly be the home of channel 4.

Butterfield, BhamJim liked this post
BhamBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
media