is Venetian Macao gonna use Simplified Chinese or Traditional Chinese this time? - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Hong Kong (香港) & Macau (澳門) Forums > Macau Forums 澳門論壇


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:55 PM   #61
Jus
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 107
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Would the tourists leave the casino strips and venture into the residential areas en masse? For what reason? Do they need to pass through people's homes to get to the airport or ferry terminal? Are these residential areas particularly interesting tourist areas? No. Is that even logical? Macau is a small place, but not that small. The separation of the casino strip with the rest of the city is very evident. Perhaps that was the planners' original intention. In fact, the Venetian is a great example the self-sustainable resort whereby people get sucked inside and don't need to leave. That's what the casino wants to achieve.

Would a visitor to New York live in Midtown, go to Queens in order to reach Times Square?
haha, you used a very bad example again!tourists do need to pass thru the residential areas in Macau, coz even Cotai strip, there will be some locations for residential areas as well

what makes me laugh is,, you talking about Planner's original Intention
just a piece of advice, do not talk about this in Macau..local people would not be too happy about Planning or infrastructure planning in Macau..

because we do not have any infrastructure planning in Macau since the colonial era...even tho after the handover..its still the same..DO NOT FORGET WHO GOT CAUGHT IN THE MACAU GOVERNMENT. HIS NAME IS AO MAN LXXG..


the good example for you today is Tap Seac Plaza..they just planned it so well so that the buses couldnt go into the tunnel at the same time

and you are using New York to compare to Macau..haha..how many times New York is bigger than Macau..hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahah..crazy..

even HK is 33 times bigger than Macau,, Macau includes cotai and those 2 islands are only 1/4 of HK island..haha.....not that small? hehe..you made me too happy to hear that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
People get to the Zhuhai land border by bus. They won't be strolling around on the streets, and they certainly won't be walking there from the casinos. Hence, the likelihood of residents being forced to switch to Mandarin and Simplified Chinese is minimal. Even now it has not happened.
yeah,, by bus yeah...i hope thats true...or i wouldnt be see so many tourists walking in the residential areas..unless they are up for sth else

switching to Mandarin and simplified chinese
is not happened yet..true..which make people still happy ..


Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
A booming tourism industry is not the same as tourists being intertwined with residents in everyday life. Would these tourists be living next door in your apartment building, eat breakfast in the restaurant downstairs, and buying tarts at the local bakery? How much will ordinary Macanese see of these tourists? Just like any other city with large tourist numbers, these visitors are confined to limited swathes of the city. They won't be everywhere as you portray them to be. Macau is not that small such that everyone coexists on the same block.
ahah..do u live in Macau for years..again..i have asked you for so many freaking times??? but you never answered?

you sure they dont really go buy tarts at the local bakery?? hehe
you sure that Macanese wont see these tourists everyday? asking me how much?? hehe
you sure that they wont be everywhere??
you sure that Macau is not that small?

haha..come live for 5 years...you will feel differently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
UNESCO adds to the tourism appeal, while casinos really appeal to mainland tourists. This actually contradicts with your point that tourists will be everywhere. If they love gambling so much, would they even bother go out to see all the UNESCO sites, let alone venture even beyond that to the residential quarters not frequented by tourists?

This also contradicts your point that tourists will be everywhere and interfere with locals. Would these tours even go into the residential areas? I'd be surprised if they visit all the key tourist sites, let alone venture out further.
unfortunately,,those sites are in the centro..there are also residential areas there as well, so that;s why you cant really confine certain zones in Macau...

you sure that they are going to see UNESCO sites..or site??
they surely will go to St PAUL Cathedral coz thats the landmark of Macau

other churches..or other sites..hehe...I really doubt it for chinese tourists..
but if they are from overseas or HK..they will surely go there as well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
This supports my theory that mainland tourists would be stuck in the casinos and there will be very minimal interaction with locals beyond the business setting (ie. at the hotel, within the casino). Hence, it's very questionable whether the adoption of Simplified Chinese signs actually signals a change in the language and cultural landscape of Macau. Sure, people will now have to learn the language to take advantage of these visitors to drum up business, but would that mean you will talk to your family in Mandarin and newspapers will change to Simplified Chinese from now on? The impact on everyday life won't be so severe. Uncomfort over this new tourism trend should not give rise to fear.
yes,,your theory got supported by your theory..hahah..this is very funny...

i said they might not go to see those heritage sites,, but I didnt mean they dun go out walkin on the streets

or how could they go look for hookers? or buy gold n jewelry?? they need to walk on the streets man

Yes, simplified Chinese will change the cultural landscape of Macau

when something looks different..that its a change...
when you get fat ,,you body will change
when you cut you hair, you look different.tis also a change
when you painted your wall into blue from white..thats also a change as well..

Hey,,keep on writing plz..
I wanna know how many more pages we can make for this thread
Jus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old September 6th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #62
Jus
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 107
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Out of curiosity, how is Macau's media reacting to the Venetian so far? I haven't heard much from Hong Kong media on the down sides of this casino so far. Those Simplified Chinese signs are probably a hot news topic or has it been drowned out by other news about the casino? I think the media can certainly exert some pressure on the casino in that regard.

I think a lot of your points are perfectly legitimate, and have been debated quite extensively in Hong Kong as well. Despite close economic ties to China, we are just as suspicious and resentful to losing our institutions, way of life, and culture. Had something similar happened to Hong Kong, I'm sure we'll be buzzing around the forums by now arguing the same things. Macau and Hong Kong are very similar friends.
I think we have (not with YOU) discussed how competent our media is..
whatever you can read in Macau..there are no negative news, no news against the government or economy,.,

Please again,,do not use Hk to compare to Macau..
Hk is an international city in so many ways...your standard in Hk cannot be applied to macau at all..
Macau is not

yes I m sure the HK media will report anything if there are any negative feelings impacting on the locals...
Jus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #63
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 100,146
Likes (Received): 24946

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
haha, you used a very bad example again!tourists do need to pass thru the residential areas in Macau, coz even Cotai strip, there will be some locations for residential areas as well
There's a difference between passing by and actually visiting. Are there traffic studies indicating residential areas are now overburdened by tourism traffic? Have there been significantly larger quantities of vehicle imports to cope with the increased traffic from both public transit and casinos (ie. private shuttles to the ferry terminal)? Cotai does have some residentials, but the buses don't need to run right through them to get to the Venetian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
what makes me laugh is,, you talking about Planner's original Intention
just a piece of advice, do not talk about this in Macau..local people would not be too happy about Planning or infrastructure planning in Macau..

because we do not have any infrastructure planning in Macau since the colonial era...even tho after the handover..its still the same..DO NOT FORGET WHO GOT CAUGHT IN THE MACAU GOVERNMENT. HIS NAME IS AO MAN LXXG..
I don't think it's a coincidence that the newly reclaimed lands will now be home to a whole series of casinos, with Venetian being the first star of the block. The old historic part may be a bit more chaotic though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
and you are using New York to compare to Macau..haha..how many times New York is bigger than Macau..hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahah..crazy..
Ironically, New York doesn't get as many tourists for a city of that size compared to Macau. But the concept is the same whether it's a large city or not. Tourists don't frequent all areas. They stick to the sights and the rare few venture beyond that. Unless it's a very tiny place such as the Vatican or Monaco. Macau isn't that small such that locals will need to be in the tourist areas for their daily lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
ahah..do u live in Macau for years..again..i have asked you for so many freaking time???

you sure they dont really go buy tarts at the local bakery?? hehe
you sure that Macanese wont see these tourists everyday? asking me how much?? hehe
you sure that they wont be everywhere??
you sure that Macau is not that small?
A rare few is not the same as a common phenomenon. Sure, there may be a couple tourists who decide to defy the conventional and venture into the unknown, and decide to leave the tour group for half the day. But that doesn't mean the language and cultural landscape will change because of these exceptions. Are there so many tourists in the non-tourist areas these days such that communication in Cantonese and Traditional Chinese is no longer feasible? Or are the odd tourists still a very small minority among the Cantonese mainstream? I don't see a shift happening unless the tourists make up the majority of patrons and residents for a sustained period of time, then a decade later the change will likely be fully executed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
you sure that they are going to see UNESCO sites..or site??
they surely will go to St PAUL Cathedral coz thats the landmark of Macau

other churches..or other sites..hehe...I really doubt it for chinese tourists..
but if they are from overseas or HK..they will surely go there as well..
Then this contradicts your previous point. While you doubt Chinese tourists will venture even to the less-known UNESCO sights, then why would they be spotted in mass numbers at the neighborhood bakery then?

The question arising out of all this is - are the locals being outnumbered beyond the tourist sights to support the idea that these Simplified Chinese signs are the tip of the iceberg and Macau will experience a fundamental cultural shift away from Cantonese and Traditional Chinese?

From your analysis that mainlanders prefer to gamble and stick to tour groups, then the answer is a strong no. A few more busloads of tourists may increase traffic, but certainly not change the language locals use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
Yes, simplified Chinese will change the cultural landscape of Macau

when something looks different..that its a change...
when you get fat ,,you body will change
when you cut you hair, you look different.tis also a change
when you look painted your wall into blue from white..thats also a change as well..
When the casinos come to Macau, jobs will be more plentiful. That's change.
When tourists inundate Macau's casinos, then the economy prospers. That's change.
But change doesn't necessarily come at the price of losing the indigeneous culture. These tourists are not permanent residents. Their influence will be limited to the business context. Sure, people may have to learn Mandarin now to take advantage of increased business opportunities, but is that going to wipe out the indigeneous culture? There will be change, but will it be completely destructive?

While I don't doubt that Macau will experience cultural change due to the thriving casino and tourism industries, I don't think that will come at the expense of losing the indigeneous culture. In order to squash out what's there at the moment, all the pieces have to fit, such as education, government services, media, etc. Perhaps the changing business environment will prompt changes to some or all of these factors, but to move from Cantonese Traditional Chinese to Mandarin Simplified Chinese is likely going to take a generation at minimum if all the pieces work out.
__________________
World Photo Gallery recent updates - | Chicago | Los Angeles | Toronto | London | Buffalo | Yellowknife | Silk Road
More galleries - | Hong Kong | Pyongyang | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Queenstown, NZ | Bagan | Angkor Wat
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #64
Jus
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 107
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
There's a difference between passing by and actually visiting. Are there traffic studies indicating residential areas are now overburdened by tourism traffic? Have there been significantly larger quantities of vehicle imports to cope with the increased traffic from both public transit and casinos (ie. private shuttles to the ferry terminal)? Cotai does have some residentials, but the buses don't need to run right through them to get to the Venetian.
Yes it does!,,you still havent really answered my question???
have u ever been living in Macau ..well let say more than 10 years???

haha, it really does...they are everywhere,,thats why the traffic will get worse..

answer me this question PLEASE!
have you ever taken a bus every single bloody day for years from home to work or study,, and you have to struggle to get into the bus because the tourists are not queuing up and there are too many of them...

so that you need to wait up for the next bus, n so on n so on...

Tell you..does it really affect the traffic and locals people's life...

I am talking about residential are..In fact,,,DO not even try to distinguish residential areas or tourists areas in Macau because Macau can be hardly divided areas for tourists only or for locals only


Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I don't think it's a coincidence that the newly reclaimed lands will now be home to a whole series of casinos, with Venetian being the first star of the block. The old historic part may be a bit more chaotic though.
you really lost me....you do hav the leisure like me to come here for discussion..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Ironically, New York doesn't get as many tourists for a city of that size compared to Macau. But the concept is the same whether it's a large city or not. Tourists don't frequent all areas. They stick to the sights and the rare few venture beyond that. Unless it's a very tiny place such as the Vatican or Monaco. Macau isn't that small such that locals will need to be in the tourist areas for their daily lives.
its because the total population is only 1/6 of CHINA!!! which country has more population than China???

yes macau is bigger than Vatican city..i hav been there..
but surely..Macau is hehe..surely much freaking smaller than NEW YORK...

New york city = 1,214.4 km²)
macau = 28.6 km²

hehe...New York city is 42 times bigger than Macau PLUS the population in the USA is only 1/6 of China...

Do you still really think the tourists will only stay at the tourists sites in Macau..(which is also residential area).....Macau got totally flooded

you really underestimate the population of China...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
A rare few is not the same as a common phenomenon. Sure, there may be a couple tourists who decide to defy the conventional and venture into the unknown, and decide to leave the tour group for half the day. But that doesn't mean the language and cultural landscape will change because of these exceptions. Are there so many tourists in the non-tourist areas these days such that communication in Cantonese and Traditional Chinese is no longer feasible? Or are the odd tourists still a very small minority among the Cantonese mainstream? I don't see a shift happening unless the tourists make up the majority of patrons and residents for a sustained period of time, then a decade later the change will likely be fully executed.
yes it is..there are too many tourists these days in the non-tourists areas ..I have explained this before..You really think that Macau is big..hehe..
should i take that as a compliment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Then this contradicts your previous point. While you doubt Chinese tourists will venture even to the less-known UNESCO sights, then why would they be spotted in mass numbers at the neighborhood bakery then?
is a neighborhood bakery an UNESCO..?? i didnt know that?
I have said it already..ahhh...even tho they dun go UNESCO..they could be on the streets up for sth else...hookers n jewelry isnt a good example for you..maybe I am too harsh to say that, but thats the reality..

..and i guess they are human beings after all..they need to come out to eat right...??

and I have repeated a lot of times..most of them come to Macau are up for gambling, but since china got so many people.you just cant avoid seeing them on the streets wherever you go..

Do u think that locals will only go to residential areas and not goin to you so-called tourists areas, which are the business areas, working areas..

let say u work at NAPE ZAPE, they've got casinos, residential areas, companies there
you go work at Centro..same bloody thing

dont you know that most offices are located in Centro, which is the tourists area, residential area, school area, business area...

You can really stay at my place for FREE and I will let you live as long as you like.or try to find a job in Macau as well...then you will get it

What contradiction I hav made..if you can point that out..I will give you a fully explanation about what I said

Seriously..you are a bit confusing for me tho..because u keep twisting other people's words...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
The question arising out of all this is - are the locals being outnumbered beyond the tourist sights to support the idea that these Simplified Chinese signs are the tip of the iceberg and Macau will experience a fundamental cultural shift away from Cantonese and Traditional Chinese?

From your analysis that mainlanders prefer to gamble and stick to tour groups, then the answer is a strong no. A few more busloads of tourists may increase traffic, but certainly not change the language locals use.
I never said that Cantonese will be changed or disappeared n i have pointed that out..
but that will affect the Interaction between locals..and you said NO....I did not say LANGUAGE only! okay..
and i have said that Interaction includes..attitudes, customs..n so forth..and somehow..the language will get affected as well..as in accent for example

you cannot tell in 5 year time..but it will make a change after certain time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
When the casinos come to Macau, jobs will be more plentiful. That's change.
When tourists inundate Macau's casinos, then the economy prospers. That's change.
But change doesn't necessarily come at the price of losing the indigeneous culture. These tourists are not permanent residents. Their influence will be limited to the business context. Sure, people may have to learn Mandarin now to take advantage of increased business opportunities, but is that going to wipe out the indigeneous culture? There will be change, but will it be completely destructive?
it does, and most people have pointed out that...can you really divide business and daily life separately..NO! not at all...

you think that when there is giant business came in, whatever it does,, it wont affect the locals lives???

thats so wrong...


Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
While I don't doubt that Macau will experience cultural change due to the thriving casino and tourism industries, I don't think that will come at the expense of losing the indigeneous culture. In order to squash out what's there at the moment, all the pieces have to fit, such as education, government services, media, etc. Perhaps the changing business environment will prompt changes to some or all of these factors, but to move from Cantonese Traditional Chinese to Mandarin Simplified Chinese is likely going to take a generation at minimum if all the pieces work out.
then you hav finally said it yourself, even tho it will take a generation..is it a change..it certainly is..n thats called a change
i didnt say the change of everything will come tomorrow..but after certain time..it will come..
thanks for using ur own theory to support my theory..

Last edited by Jus; September 6th, 2007 at 02:52 PM.
Jus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #65
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,051
Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
This is funny stuff man...first of all, ahah, i guess not every single person from Macau know where this french place is???? coz we are from Macau...hah
Café des Artistes is in Lan Kwai Fong, an area throbbing with night life and entertainment; where all the high rollers in Hong Kong hang out.

Petrus, another French restaurant, is in The Island Shangri-La Hotel.

Gaddi's, French again, is in The Peninsula Hotel.

To use another analogy, do you see residents of New York City or San Franscico whining on about how some Chinese restaurants in their respective cities do not post menus in English?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
Second of all, you need to understand that...ahhh..you cannot denied the fact that most people in Hk are WESTERN-ORIENTED in HK..or even in Macau. as in people might think
A large majority of Hong Kong Island residents, perhaps, but something about your comment above (and the generalisations that followed it) tells me you've never been to Hong Kong, or if you have, have not ventured into many of its areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
Please do not use HK as an example or standard for Macau okay?,,,I dun know all those places where they are, you jus suppose people would know what you can see/go/play in HK???...sorry mate ...and we are discussing about Macau here...
I know we are discussing Macau here, but having visited Macau only twice, I only have a limited knowledge of the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
you guys think okay,,does it mean that we hav to think OKAY?
No, because you're being ridiculously fussy: either pave in to capitalism, or stick with your traditional values and shun all sins. Middle ground does not exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
why DO u people always have to think that you are the standard...???you are..only in the place where you are from..not in other people's territories???
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
perhaps you havnt been to a place in Hk where only Simplified Chinese is shown there or only RMB is accepted, and that place has to be the biggest building there in HK or in Asia, everybody will go...by then.. you might feel differently...
No, perhaps I haven't. But then it's not our fault that the biggest thing Macau has to offer this planet is a gambling casino where only a limited number, if any, Macanese folk will visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
again..this is not a fight between HK and Macau
I personally really love HK..HK..woo...live it..LOVE It!
It's an argument, or a discussion if you may. Such things arise on forums. If you want everyone to agree with you, I suggest you stay away from forums altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
when the time the Indian population has gone up to more than the locals..I guess they might really have to put up those Indian languages on menu...haha
You've missed the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
but DO NOT FORGET, Traditional Chinese has to be remained...
Again, you've missed the point.

But you seem to be of the view that traditional Chinese should be maintained in this restaurant, even if no one who can actually read traditional Chinese will visit there? What, exactly is the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
so in this case with Venetian there is no problem at all they should have put Traditional Chinese aligned with Simplified Chinese..
Of course, and I agree with that - that would have been the solution. I was pointing out, as you seem to have missed the point, where the line should be drawn as to how many languages should be included on one menu, to please everyone.

For what it's worth, an Indian restaurant serving Indian food, catered towards Indians, should have the menu in English and Hindi (or Anglicised Hindi, as is found in most Indian restaurants here). If you can't make out either, tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
and you are talkin about a restaurant, it can be ignored, but we are talking about the biggest building in Asia ..located in a tiny place called Macau..
Again, I feel sorry for you; but as I said earlier, perhaps its your own fault that the biggest thing you can produce is a casino where no locals will visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
Can the locals ignore it??we did not hav many shopping malls already...we only had ONE - sadly as you know .. do the local people have other choices if they wanna go walking in a shopping mall on the weekend...Can they have a bit leisure to relax a bit other than going into casinos?..we do not have many cinemas..3 left, no big shopping mall, sports venues have been used for building casinos or empty plaza..
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
I guess that people really hav to go to venetian for a bit relaxation in their daily life at this stage, coz they do not have many options...
I went to Macau twice; the first time, I visited no casinos (seeing as I was about 10) and had a good relaxing time. Not sure why one must visit a casino; there are plenty of other things to do in Macau. Whilst not the greatest of cities, I found it a cute, quaint place.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 07:03 AM   #66
ggaaxx
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 537
Likes (Received): 0

This thread has made me realize many people are actually visiting this forum. It is quite entertaining. That's one of my goals of participating in this forum, get entertained and promote Macau to the world. I don't see this debate will go anywhere though. With that being said, it is time for me to step out of it.
ggaaxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #67
superchan7
EOS 40D
 
superchan7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Jose, CA, USA / Hong Kong, China
Posts: 2,108
Likes (Received): 23

I like photographing in the old city, especially the Largo do Senado area. It's so picturesque. I'm not interested in Macau casinos at all.
__________________
I speak English / 我講中文 / Ich spreche deutsch / 3y3 5p34k L337
superchan7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #68
Jus
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 107
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Café des Artistes is in Lan Kwai Fong, an area throbbing with night life and entertainment; where all the high rollers in Hong Kong hang out.

Petrus, another French restaurant, is in The Island Shangri-La Hotel.

Gaddi's, French again, is in The Peninsula Hotel.

To use another analogy, do you see residents of New York City or San Franscico whining on about how some Chinese restaurants in their respective cities do not post menus in English?
why would I care where those restaurants are in HK?? do u work there? are u trying to promote those restaurants...
again,, and I have said to you ALREADY..you are repeating what hksyline has said..

You are pointing out 2 very different languages..e.g english and chinese..they are not interchangeable..okay

howerver, Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese are still chinese..you can understand one and another at some certain degree..you have missed my points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
A large majority of Hong Kong Island residents, perhaps, but something about your comment above (and the generalisations that followed it) tells me you've never been to Hong Kong, or if you have, have not ventured into many of its areas.
I do not hve to tell you whether I have been to HK or not,,but I do have a HK ID ,,through one side of my family.I dunno how much that counts or how much civil right I can have in HK ....but i did admit that I do not feel ashamed if I do not know much about HK..and I hav no intention to discuss anything about HK in this Macau forum

you are right, I might NOT know much about HK, but i wont go to hte HK forum and say sth from a Macanese point of view n tell people how they should feel using my Macanese standard..
same thing here..if you hav only been to Macau twice then why the heck you doing this thing here...?????? on what ground?


Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
I know we are discussing Macau here, but having visited Macau only twice, I only have a limited knowledge of the place.
now you know that you have limited knowledge of Macau,, then why are you still arguing....?you admit that you do not know much about a place, but you have to tell teh local people how they should feel...weirdo..

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
No, because you're being ridiculously fussy: either pave in to capitalism, or stick with your traditional values and shun all sins. Middle ground does not exist.
I accept the middle ground, and I guess thats the best way to go,
thats why I and some people from Macau have said it here..
they can put Simplified Chinese, but Traditional Chinese should be remained...
You really really missed my point..and honestly,

when I look at hkskyline's posts, I do personally agree with some of his/her points,,but you..you are just totally out of your mind...your examples are not even examples which could be applied to Macau,, and thats why I guess its very ridiculous..



Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
What?
What what??
by the way..I love HK seriously..I do not wanna start a fight between HK and Macau..


Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
No, perhaps I haven't. But then it's not our fault that the biggest thing Macau has to offer this planet is a gambling casino where only a limited number, if any, Macanese folk will visit.
what? no one said its YOUR fault..are you okay..SERIOUSLY? NO one said its whoever person's fault having casinos in Macau??

you dont know what you are talkin about?? Indeed..I dun..

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
It's an argument, or a discussion if you may. Such things arise on forums. If you want everyone to agree with you, I suggest you stay away from forums altogether.
I said it already in this thread, I do not need to make everyone to agree with me..why do i want to do that???
BUT, you cannot deny the FACT that people who are from MACAU who come to this forum do feel uncomfortable or inappropriate that Venetian is using Simplified Chinese only, which is a disrespect..

and if you do not think that its a matter of disrespect..its okay for us..and we dun care how you think..coz since your not from Macau.and u said u only hve been to macau twice..so do u really know what we really feel? NO right..

then I do not understand what ground you are standing on to make your points valid for Macanese People...??NONE!

again, you really missed my points.and you have repeated what hkskyline has said which is annoying..


Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
But you seem to be of the view that traditional Chinese should be maintained in this restaurant, even if no one who can actually read traditional Chinese will visit there? What, exactly is the point?
why you keep dwelling on this restaurant matters....thats why you didnt read..and you missed my point..

Venetian is not just a simply restaurant that people can really ignore in Macau??

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Of course, and I agree with that - that would have been the solution. I was pointing out, as you seem to have missed the point, where the line should be drawn as to how many languages should be included on one menu, to please everyone.
no one said that it has to please everyone,..,BUT! listen to this..
the primary people - Macau people should be pleased first in so many ways!

and I sincerely mind you to understand this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
For what it's worth, an Indian restaurant serving Indian food, catered towards Indians, should have the menu in English and Hindi (or Anglicised Hindi, as is found in most Indian restaurants here). If you can't make out either, tough.
restaurant comes again.,..this time its an indian instead of French...
you do love going to restaurants and looking at their menus..

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Again, I feel sorry for you; but as I said earlier, perhaps its your own fault that the biggest thing you can produce is a casino where no locals will visit.
you mean MY own fault..or Macau people's own fault..?
I do not have such strength to produce a casino...n i do not hav that fortune..
but if you were referring to the people of Macau..then you think this is our fault to have casinos there

be careful with what you are saying .and I mind you again

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
What?
what what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
I went to Macau twice; the first time, I visited no casinos (seeing as I was about 10) and had a good relaxing time. Not sure why one must visit a casino; there are plenty of other things to do in Macau. Whilst not the greatest of cities, I found it a cute, quaint place.
[/Quote]
Did i ever say that everyone has to go visit the casino when they go to Macau..NO?
I just simply said that the primary reason for tourists from China goin to Macau is because of gambling.and this is the reality..!!
yeah ..of course...Macau was a very nice place to live...but not now...not anymore..
and from those 2 times you have been 2 Macau..I can really tell how much u know about Macau already..thank you so very much..

and by the way..living there and visiting there are 2 very different things, it could be fun if you go to Africa for travelling,,
but when you live there..thats another story..

Last edited by Jus; September 7th, 2007 at 01:09 PM.
Jus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #69
Jus
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 107
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggaaxx View Post
This thread has made me realize many people are actually visiting this forum. It is quite entertaining. That's one of my goals of participating in this forum, get entertained and promote Macau to the world. I don't see this debate will go anywhere though. With that being said, it is time for me to step out of it.
I guess its one of my goals to make more people come to this forum as well..
coz its been very quiet here..

n people might hav the impression that Macanese people are quiet and they dont say much ....so its good for people to read here and know how exactly the people of Macau would think in regards to all aspects of Macau

regards

Last edited by Jus; September 7th, 2007 at 11:29 AM.
Jus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #70
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,051
Likes (Received): 224

Clearly you are an absolute titwad.

I have no interest in continuing this discussion.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #71
Jus
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 107
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Clearly you are an absolute titwad.

I have no interest in continuing this discussion.
What? you really keep me entertained..

if you had no interest in continuing this discussion..you dun need to tell people you dun hav the interest,,you jus need to stop posting...thats all rite?...

again, should people need to care that you have the interest of not..?

Last edited by Jus; September 7th, 2007 at 03:37 PM.
Jus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #72
Jus
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 107
Likes (Received): 0

I guess this thread is getting nowhere like what ggaaxx said...

To conclude.
I agree some of the points what hkskyline said from the business decision's point of view..n those points are very valid..!

However, Venetian Macao is too freaking big for the Macanese people to ignore. Indeed, this so called Cotai strip will become the anchor point to lure tourists from all over the world in the near future, (most of these tourists could be from China)

and using Simplified Chinese in this massive building (not just a restaurant that small, biggest as in the biggest in Asia)..which is located in this new development area which is even bigger than Macau peninsula is very inappropriate...

Macau people have their own values, and these values can only be understood and felt by the locals there.. and we should not be told that
how we should feel.

We can accept that fact that this Simplified Chinese has been used and try to adapt this so called reality..BUT, it doesnt mean that we feel okay or we dun feel any disrespect...

we just simply said that..we feel a bit disrespect to see all these Simplified Chinese used in such a big venue..Thats all..

I am not personally judge which language or which type of Chinese is better...
and if i do..it will come to a WAR in this forum eventually..which I do not want that to happen...

some people here like me just wanna to share a few thoughts about this "incident" happening at Venetian Macau...Simple is that...

and I dont think its a good idea if using the HK standard or whatever standard to apply to Macau..because..somehow..they are similar..but they are still different..

As I said, I really love HK indeed, I respect the people from HK and their spirits..and Hk could be a good example for Macau to learn and improve...but meanwhile,
macau or people of Macau should not be treated as part of HK..or being looked down by Hk people due to any misconceptions

I think its been very interesting to talk about this topic.............and again,,
we should never come to point that we start attacking each others personally...

Regards
Jus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you want HK to go simplified chinese? sfgadv02 Life in Hong Kong 34 May 7th, 2006 12:37 AM
Is traditions Chinese character is more beautiful than simplified characte? timven2005 Citytalk and Urban Issues 4 August 12th, 2005 11:31 AM


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us