SkyscraperCity Forum banner

ANKARA - The Capital City of Turkey

453K views 706 replies 174 participants last post by  mitenka 
#1 · (Edited)

Ankara is the capital of Turkey and the country's second largest city after İstanbul.

Centrally located in Anatolia, Ankara is an important commercial and industrial city. It has been the neural center of the Turkish Government, and houses all foreign embassies. It is an important crossroads of trade, strategically located at the center of Turkey's highway and rail network, and serves as the marketing center for the surrounding agricultural area.

Modern ANKARA is really two cities, a double identity that is due to the breakneck pace at which it has developed since being declared capital of the Turkish Republic in 1923. Until then Ankara had been a small provincial city, famous chiefly for the production of soft goat's wool. This city still exists, in and around the old citadel that was the site of the original settlement. The other Ankara is the modern metropolis that has grown up around a carefully planned attempt to create a seat of government worthy of a modern, Western-looking state.

For a very quick, brief, touristic info about Ankara; you may check the video below.

Dead links removed.

I will try to post photos from Ankara in parts in this thread.

This is an evolving thread, new photos are posted regularly with the lowest repeating rate as much as possible, check the latest pages to see the most fresh photos. ;)

LOOKING FORWARD FOR YOUR COMMENTS :)[/COLOR]

See less See more
2 2
#106 ·
this district is crazy:D
Incek is a southern suburban district of Ankara, close to Mogan Lake. District consists of indivual estates mainly villas. Those are the ones which are called trimetal - steel construction.

#111 ·
why don't you just meet you with him :D

#113 ·
Thank you very much

I was born in Ankara and I left 10 yrs ago. I love Ankara very much and I want to thank you for your efforts to present Ankara in this way. As far as I know, Ankara is totally man-build city without natural beauties. It is a great example for the union of human with its environment.

Thank you very much again

#114 ·
Looking for a place to stay in Ankara

Hello.I just registered on this site. Do any of you kind Turkish people have an idea of affordable motels or know people who have a place out to rent? Im gonna have to stay up to 3 months and cant really afford Hilton for such long time :nuts: Looking forward to replies.I am arriving on 5th of April !

#115 · (Edited)
Hacettepe University is the second most popular university of Ankara after METU.

It is regarded as one of the TOP 500 Universities of the world.

History:
The history of Hacettepe University can be traced back to the establishment of the Institute of Child Health on July 8, 1958, and the inauguration of the Hacettepe Children's Hospital. In 1961 the School of Health Sciences and its divisions of Nursing, Medical Technology, Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation and Nutrition were opened, all centered around the Institute of Child Health.

On June 15, 1963, Hacettepe University, Faculty of Medicine was established, and a general teaching hospital was built. Three months later Hacettepe University School of Dentistry was established.

In the Summer of 1964, a School of Basic Sciences was opened, offering courses in the natural sciences, social sciences and the humanities. At the time, aIl Hacettepe teaching institutions were affiliated to Ankara University and grouped under the title "Hacettepe Science Center".

Hacettepe University was chartered through Act No. 892 of the Turkish Parliament on July 8, 1967. Hacettepe Institutes of Higher Education formed the core of Hacettepe University, and the Faculties of Medicine, Science and Engineering, and Social and Administrative sciences were established.

Hacettepe-Beytepe Campus in 80's..

Since then, many faculty buildings and facilities were added to the campus, and the surrounding forests were formed..

Here is some recent shots from Hacettepe Faculties, new dormitories and cafeteria places and facilities in Beytepe Campus which is located in the western suburbs of the city.

Thanks to Ceren from wowturkey for those great shots. You may see more photos in small size at http://wowturkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17847

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.