#Cape Town International Airport - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Transport and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #41
Harkeb

Likes (Received): 22

Awesome. when I get off at CTI next month, its going to be a whole new place.
Harkeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #42
SA BOY
South Straddie QLD

Likes (Received): 603

im so looking foward to comming home
Old August 11th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #43
skytrax
Big boss!

Likes (Received): 15414

nice airport

Angolan Forum | Luanda pictures | my World Trip

~> SkyscraperCity Angola on Facebook <~
skytrax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #44
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 943

Article in Cape Times of 20 August 2007

By Karen Breytenbach

The Airports Company of South Africa (Acsa) has pumped R1,3-billion into the construction of Cape Town International Airport to cope with a "startling" growth in visitors.

Total passenger numbers grew 22,3 percent in a year, from 550 000 in July 2006 to 675 000 this year.

"This translated into 4 000 more passengers a day compared with the same period last year and this is traditionally the low season," said Acsa spokesperson Deidre Hendricks.

Upgrades include two multistorey parkades, upper and lower roadways similar to those at OR Tambo International in Johannesburg, a central terminal building with a new domestic departures lounge and additional aircraft parking bays and air bridges, Hendricks said.

The first parkade was commissioned in April 2006 and the second which will add 4 000 parking bays, is due for commissioning in October next year.

The car rental agencies had to move from the site across from the International terminal, to a new site in the central parking precinct, to accommodate the new five-storey building.

The new central terminal is being constructed between the international and domestic terminals and will comprise a large common check-in area and a central security point.

This new building, with state-of-the-art technology and infrastructure, includes a new departure lounge for domestic travellers.

"But, passenger numbers have continued to grow at a startling rate, placing much strain on the current airport infrastructure. This continuous growth, in addition to the on-going construction, is placing huge pressure on the airport.

"The construction process, though necessary, will cause airport users some inconvenience. This is why we ask our users to please bear with us and to be reassured by the fact the gain will be well worth the pain. Airport users are reminded to come to the airport early to provide themselves with sufficient time," said Hendricks.

The SA Rail Commuter Corporation, Metrorail and the government recently announced plans to spend over R400-million on a rail link between the airport and the CBD. In October last year the City of Cape Town announced the plans to set up a rail link between the airport and the city, with various stations along the way.

A dedicated airport platform would be built at Cape Town station.

The aim was to ease pressure on the N2 and the airport's parking areas ahead of 2010. The project is still in the planning phase and an environmental impact assessment needs to be done.
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #45
annman
Annman

Question...

If anyone can answer this one... Does anyone know if Cape Town in going to be revamping the airside too? In other words, like in the newer International Terminal, will most aircraft international and domestic now have airbridge access to the terminal. It's a little "Congo-ish" to have people run accross the apron to get to the terminal.
Old August 20th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #46
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by annman View Post
If anyone can answer this one... Does anyone know if Cape Town in going to be revamping the airside too? In other words, like in the newer International Terminal, will most aircraft international and domestic now have airbridge access to the terminal. It's a little "Congo-ish" to have people run accross the apron to get to the terminal.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #47
annman
Annman

Update on CTIA

Hey Capetonians still lucky enough to still live there! We haven't seen an update (pics etc.) on the construction taking place at the airport. If anyone on that side of the Atlantic has a boring afternoon, could you get some new update pics?
Old September 15th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #48
Mo Rush

Quote:
Hey Capetonians still lucky enough to still live there! We haven't seen an update (pics etc.) on the construction taking place at the airport. If anyone on that side of the Atlantic has a boring afternoon, could you get some new update pics?
will update soon.
Old September 15th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #49
Mo Rush

Quote:
double post

Last edited by Mo Rush; April 12th, 2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old September 16th, 2007, 01:10 AM   #50
DennisRodman97
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

big mo to the rescue as always
DennisRodman97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #51
Mo Rush

Cape Town International Vision 2010

Source: George Uriesi, ACSA

Last edited by Mo Rush; April 12th, 2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #52
Mo Rush

image hosted on flickr
Old September 17th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #53
annman
Annman

You're a legend Mo... exactly what I was so desperate to see... now I just need to get my ass back to Cape Town and leave this architectural-deprived city of Orlando.
Old September 17th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #54
Lydon

Likes (Received): 6504

I really like the second render!
Old September 17th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #55
Mo Rush

Quote:
You're a legend Mo... exactly what I was so desperate to see... now I just need to get my ass back to Cape Town and leave this architectural-deprived city of Orlando.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old September 17th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #56
Lydon

Likes (Received): 6504

Argh so sexy! xD Some of those people in those renders need to learn how to dress though haha.
Old September 18th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #57
kulani

Likes (Received): 26

Big ups to Mo Rush, Cape Town International is really going to rock. I have posted this to the african airports section too, see below:-

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=492315
kulani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #58
annman
Annman

I think we're going to need a parallel airside terminal between the apron and the runway earlier than we think. Just looking at how many aircraft are parked in front of the terminal, even with expansions, some aircraft will still have to park remotely with passengers being ferried by bus to their flights. Excellent expansion, but think we're going to need the additional gates quite quickly in CT.
Old September 26th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #59
Mo Rush

Quote:
I think we're going to need a parallel airside terminal between the apron and the runway earlier than we think. Just looking at how many aircraft are parked in front of the terminal, even with expansions, some aircraft will still have to park remotely with passengers being ferried by bus to their flights. Excellent expansion, but think we're going to need the additional gates quite quickly in CT.
hopefully that is included the grand masterplan. with that amazing design of the new terminal building the airport could become a bit of an icon itself.
Old September 26th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #60
annman
Annman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
hopefully that is included the grand masterplan. with that amazing design of the new terminal building the airport could become a bit of an icon itself.
Mo, believe it is... as far as I know, ACSA's plan is to do so, connected to the landside terminal with underground tunnels beneath the apron. I'm always opposed to a parallel configuration of terminals and more in favour of "gate piers", it's just a pity SA's airports were originally designed in this way (due to us not having much air traffic up until recently). With piers, the walking distance is minimised between gates and the landside, yet cotact area with the airside of the terminal is increased. But, hey... with what CT has got and what we're getting soon, I'm still impressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
airport, cape town