3 Arena Central | HMRC | Offices | 14fl | 73m | U/C - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 17th, 2016, 10:17 PM   #41
ROYAL BLUE

Likes (Received): 1351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblast View Post
You're quite right, RB. But we should be planning 20 years ahead, and all those fantastic developments you've listed, may not be enough with HS2 on the way, and up and running 10 years from now.

Remember, in 20 years time or less, HS2 will have reached Manchester & Leeds .... Birmingham needs to be well placed to to 'mop up' as much business from London as possible .... if Birmingham doesn't, then Manchester certainly will.
Its a balancing act though SB, if there is suddenly a huge amount of Grade A office space that comes online and HS2 isn't even complete or demand hasn't yet picked up, there would be a negative affect caused by over supply.

Also there's the issue of the Economy, if a downturn hit with Over supply of office space, regeneration and inward investment could potentially stop altogether.

I'm sure we'll see a nice big Tower in time, if only we had an eccentric Billionaire or a Major Brimingham based company that wanted to show off.
ROYAL BLUE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2016, 10:19 PM   #42
PerpetualBrum
💙 Birmingham #1

Likes (Received): 14956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave.1 View Post
Are there any plans for the Municipal Bank as part of Arena Central?

Surely it can't go unoccupied and degenerate with all these brand new builds surrounding it. That building would make for a great museum. Great place for one too.
A Museum of World Religions was mooted back in 2014, as well as potential link-ups with BMAG, the library, Symphony Hall. Plans are afoot I'm sure, we won't see this building go to waste

Pave.1 liked this post
PerpetualBrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 10:20 PM   #43
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 4505

Yes, it's a delicate balancing act, you're quite right. I just hope everyone gets the timing right and Birmingham doesn't miss the boat.

ROYAL BLUE liked this post
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2016, 10:21 PM   #44
Sandblast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualBrum View Post
A Museum of World Religions was mooted back in 2014, as well as potential link-ups with BMAG, the library, Symphony Hall. Plans are afoot I'm sure, we won't see this building go to waste
I think in light of what has happened over the last 10 years, a museum dedicated to religion would be an appalling idea ... in my opinion.

PerpetualBrum, U475 Foxtrot, porteoaj liked this post
Old March 17th, 2016, 10:24 PM   #45
Pave.1
Gone

Likes (Received): 177

Quote:
Yes, it's a delicate balancing act, you're quite right. I just hope everyone gets the timing right and Birmingham doesn't miss the boat.
If there's not enough office space but sufficient interest generated by HS2 and an upward economy (touch wood) then more forward purchasing could happen, as with HSBC, which could make for much more interesting developments

(pure speculative optimism)

Sandblast liked this post
Pave.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 10:26 PM   #46
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4753

Understandable but perhaps it could help educate people. Maybe not. I don`t know. Maybe I`m just naive.

It definitely needs to be a building in use, that`s for sure. I think if we are having a museum in Smithfield, perhaps this building can be used for something else.
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 10:26 PM   #47
Sandblast

We just don't need a major economic downturn at this moment in time to put the brakes on everything currently in the pipeline.
Old March 17th, 2016, 10:27 PM   #48
Pave.1
Gone

Likes (Received): 177

Quote:
I think in light of what has happened over the last 10 years, a museum dedicated to religion would be an appalling idea ... in my opinion.
I don't much like the sound of that either. Quite niche. Although unique in an ever more multicultural country, never mind city, and unique draws people in.

Would be great to have some sort of museum there though, then there would be a decent amount across the city. I always thought BMAG could do with expanding...
Pave.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 10:29 PM   #49
Sandblast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
Understandable but perhaps it could help educate people. Maybe I`m just naive.

It definitely needs to be a building in use, that`s for sure. I think if we are having a museum in Smithfield, perhaps this building can be used for something else.
I just think it could become a target for radicals from all religions to vent their frustrations. I think religion should stay where it rightly belongs .... in Church, In the Mosque, in the Synagogue, in the Temple and in your home.
Old March 17th, 2016, 10:30 PM   #50
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17597

Im really happy with this, Birmingham isnt Frankfurt (yet) and we still have lots of vacant plots to fill, once these are filled then we will start seeing taller structures being built. I get abit cheezzed off on here sometimes just becouse one particular block is smaller than we had expected, everybody goes moody and negative. WHY ???

Brum isnt Frankfurt, we still need to develop as a city. Its a bit much expecting large tall towers everywhere, surely ???

We are getting 103 Colmore Row (106 metres) 3 snowhill (85 metres) Post and Mail (73 metres) and hopefully Beorma Tower (113 metres)

Come on guys, get a reality check. Some great development going on in our city and more to come.
Old March 17th, 2016, 10:31 PM   #51
RalphGuy

Fair enough Sandblast.

Mind you, I concur with djay when he says that the building looks sh1t in and amongst all that new development. It looks out of place.
Old March 17th, 2016, 10:33 PM   #52
Sandblast

Ok BrumX.

Let's get a grip of ourselves, chaps!!!

Brum X liked this post
Old March 17th, 2016, 10:41 PM   #53
Sandblast

Quote:
Fair enough Sandblast.

Mind you, I concur with djay when he says that the building looks sh1t in and amongst all that new development. It looks out of place.
I agree. What on earth are they going to do with the back of the building, so it doesn't actually look like the arse end of a building fronting a mini public square?!?
Old March 17th, 2016, 10:54 PM   #54
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Yes. The two residential blocks 26 & 14 floors will be replaced now by office blocks. More than likely going to revert back to the 2014 masterplan it seem's.
Shocking.
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 10:58 PM   #55
RalphGuy

Yes, I know. What about the shortage of suitable sites in Birmingham for housing, yet they are reducing the number of homes here by around 400 units.

Ridiculous.

Not just that, the area could feel a bit lifeless in the evening once the offices close for the day. Residential would help bring life to the area at nighttime.

Pave.1 liked this post
Old March 17th, 2016, 11:13 PM   #56
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2701

Quote:
Yes, I know. What about the shortage of suitable sites in Birmingham for housing, yet they are reducing the number of homes here by around 400 units.

Ridiculous.

Not just that, the area could feel a bit lifeless in the evening once the offices close for the day. Residential would help bring life to the area at nighttime.
I don't really think this is true tbh... walk the other side of Broad Street around the Peace Garden area and it's dead in the night. What makes places active at night is a night time economy and resi doesn't go well with this.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

Sandblast liked this post
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 11:17 PM   #57
Sandblast

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
I don't really think this is true tbh... walk the other side of Broad Street around the Peace Garden area and it's dead in the night. What makes places active at night is a night time economy and resi doesn't go well with this.
You're right. Look at any residential street in suburbia at 9 o'clock at night and they are 'dead' .... everyone is indoors watching the telly or on their X-Boxes!

Attractions like the cinema, pubs, restaurants ... things that get people out on the streets, brings an area to life ... not apartments.
Old March 17th, 2016, 11:17 PM   #58
RalphGuy

Fair point djay. Yes I know what you mean but over 400 residential units would help bring some activity to what will otherwise be a dead area in the evening. I appreciate that restaurants and bars would bring more activity but the proposals were for residential.
Old March 17th, 2016, 11:20 PM   #59
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17597

Quote:

Ridiculous.

Sorry Ralph, shortage of sites. There are huge swathes of the south of the city centre that can have lots and lots of residential. Smithfield is a start, then you have the rest of Digbeth/Southside to build this. I dont think that the cancellation of x 2 resi blocks on this site is going to be the end of the world ?????
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 11:27 PM   #60
RalphGuy

I know there`s lots of sites but there aren`t enough to meet the requirement of building nearly 90,000 homes in the next 15 years. That`s why the City Council is looking at the neighbouring authorities to help and looking to the green belt in Sutton.

These are only two sites but they amount to 400 units. I also seem to remember another site in the city centre that has been changed from residential to another use but I can`t remember which one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement