Nairobi County Bus Rapid Transit System | Kshs 1bn - Page 51 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > Transport and Infrastructure

Transport and Infrastructure Transport, infrastructure and other related discussions


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 28th, 2019, 09:55 AM   #1001
sleekpiano
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nairobi
Posts: 1,838
Likes (Received): 1529

I don't think Outering road should be prioritised to have BRT at the moment. They should just focus to ensure that the normal traffic is unobstructed by providing proper off road Bus stops for Matatus, improve the interchanges and they finish the Footbridges.

Outering is more of link road. Maybe in future, there could be BRT that serves as a loop from Mombasa road-Outering Road-Thika Road-CBD but for now it does not make sense.

Why not spend that investment on say Kiambu road. Since Kiambu road will soon be upgraded its better that BRT on that route atleast we know there are many communters on that Route that will be served well.
sleekpiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old October 28th, 2019, 09:59 AM   #1002
sleekpiano
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nairobi
Posts: 1,838
Likes (Received): 1529

This is an example of light BRT in new york where bus lanes are not physically separated. However there are challenges and enforcement is key to offenders who would obstruct the buses. Knowing Kenyan bad manners, this would however be difficult to manage.

__________________

felakuti1 liked this post
sleekpiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2019, 03:48 AM   #1003
abckris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bungoma
Posts: 5,860
Likes (Received): 2348

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekpiano View Post
I don't think Outering road should be prioritised to have BRT at the moment. They should just focus to ensure that the normal traffic is unobstructed by providing proper off road Bus stops for Matatus, improve the interchanges and they finish the Footbridges.



Outering is more of link road. Maybe in future, there could be BRT that serves as a loop from Mombasa road-Outering Road-Thika Road-CBD but for now it does not make sense.



Why not spend that investment on say Kiambu road. Since Kiambu road will soon be upgraded its better that BRT on that route atleast we know there are many communters on that Route that will be served well.


What future are you talking about right now? I’ve been waiting for these things all my life and you still want them in the future? You must be from out of this world.
abckris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2019, 05:05 AM   #1004
antoinetonee
Registered User
 
antoinetonee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Palembang, 東京都
Posts: 1,343
Likes (Received): 377

Asian #Transjakarta cited as model for Europe and rest of world

Martin Banks | October 24, 2019



A major conference in Brussels was told that an innovative public transportation system in Asia can be a model for Europe and the rest of the world, as well as Sub-Saharan Africa, given Indonesia was at the same state as them just as soon as in recent memories. Jakarta Public Transportation is pioneering integrated and environmental-friendly transport, the International Bus Conference was told, writes Martin Banks.

Quote:
The three-day conference ran from 21-23 October and attracted scores of public transport operators from all over the world. Held at Brussel Expo, the event explores current trends and developments in the bus sector from an international perspective. There are 60 international speakers from across the bus sector attending.

These include Dr Agung Wicaksono, CEO of Transjakarta, a bus rapid transit system in Jakarta, Indonesia. The first BRT system in Asia, it commenced operations on 15 January 2004 to provide a fast public transport system to help reduce rush hour traffic. Wicaksono spoke about how the system has significantly helped cut congestion levels in Indonesian capital. Transjakarta serves one of the longest routes in the world, stretching over 250km and 25 stations and serving 20 million passengers. As one of the largest public transportation operators in Jakarta, Transjakarta uses the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system, the first in Southeast and South Asia. Wicaksono, during his visit to the Press Club Brussels Europe, explained what Transjakarta does to meet the needs of Jakarta, supported by an integrated public transportation system.

He said: “Jakarta is one of the major cities in Asia which serves 20 million people, both Jakarta citizens and commuters from neighbouring cities. This number is relatively large compared to other capital cities in Asia such as Singapore which only serves 5 million people every day, and requires integrated multi-modal transportation services. “This mobilization can provide maximum benefits for economic development both for citizens of Jakarta and neighbouring cities.”

The Central Statistics Agency (BPS) estimates that the population of Jakarta in 2019 will reach 10.6 million people, but on working days the number increases to 20m. In the last five years Transjakarta has succeeded in increasing the number of public transport users by some 300%, and increasing the coverage area to 77% in five areas in Jakarta. The presence of BRT has helped cut congestion levels in Jakarta this year by 8%, the biggest decline compared to other cities and pushed Jakarta down the rankings, from the 4th to the 7th of most congested cities.

Another study by the Asia Development Bank (ADB) also acknowledges efforts by Jakarta in addressing the chronic challenges of the capital city’s transportation system. Transjakarta has also introduced ‘Microtrans’, which embraces the integration of public transport services. Transjakarta as a system provider, route mapping, and development, is supported by cooperatives. Jakarta Transportation collaborates with existing conventional microbus entrepreneurs and private owners, an approach aimed at maintaining the consistency of public transportation services by the government.

Dr Wicaksono said: “This is one of the differences between the transportation system in Indonesia and other cities in other countries. If in other cities public transportation is regulated by the government, in Jakarta the government embraces the participation of local community as a form of support for the regional economy development.”

With BRT, Transjakarta has also succeeded, he said, in increasing access to public transport stations and stops as well as creating hubs that support “healthy ecosystems by reducing gas emissions in the air”. Dr Wicaksono said that starting in 2023, BRT will use electric bus fleets which will help further reduce vehicle exhaust air emissions and create a healthier environment.

Within 15 years, despite challenges from overaffordability of cars and motorbikes which is somewhat unique among countries in the same development, Transjakarta has succeeded changing public behaviour in Jakarta to some extent in the use of public transportation and it has received awards for innovations in the transportation system and improving city mobility. Transjakarta and the government have, it is said, shown “cooperation and real work which has a positive impact on economic progress and changes in people’s behavior in the use of public transportation.” The majority of Transjakarta buses are currently dominated by European bus brands such as Mercedes, Scania and Volvo but there are three units of electric buses made in China while others are being tested locally. Testing the readiness of electric buses is seen as important for Transjakarta in order to adjust to the tropical climate in Jakarta.

It currently owns 3,558 bus fleet units with 220 routes, and in 2020 is targeting additional fleet of up to 10,047 units including the microbus. Its short-term strategy in 2020 is to better realize the ‘first mile’ and ‘last mile’ services, where residents can find public transportation within a 500-metre radius and increase the coverage area to 95% in the Jakarta area. With an increasingly expanding and integrating public transportation system, supported by a digital payment and information system, Transjakarta now says it is ready to provide integrated multi-modal transportation services to “realize an orderly, comfortable and safe transportation ecosystem”.



https://www.eureporter.co/frontpage/...rest-of-world/
__________________

“The justice that was supposed to protect you will come knocking and break down your door...you didn’t say a word, which means you’re guilty.”

“Sorry to say, but this hopeless generation is YOUR creation,”
(Şanışer)
antoinetonee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2019, 03:36 PM   #1005
sleekpiano
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nairobi
Posts: 1,838
Likes (Received): 1529

Quote:
Originally Posted by abckris View Post
What future are you talking about right now? I’ve been waiting for these things all my life and you still want them in the future? You must be from out of this world.
I feel you, but I think they should prioritize other routes that are more viable that outering. Without BRT in Juja Road, Jogoo Road or even Thika Road having BRT in outering will not make sense because I don’t see how one need an express bus lane end to end along the 13KM Outerinf Road.
sleekpiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2019, 06:00 PM   #1006
dbrown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 380
Likes (Received): 421

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekpiano View Post
I feel you, but I think they should prioritize other routes that are more viable that outering. Without BRT in Juja Road, Jogoo Road or even Thika Road having BRT in outering will not make sense because I don’t see how one need an express bus lane end to end along the 13KM Outerinf Road.
There was a time IBM used mobile devices and mapped all the major public transport routes in Nairobi then they used their Watson AI mainframe to come up with some stats that would make optimal use public transport and traffic control systems within Nairobi Metro... If we were a serious country we would have used the IBM data to simulate the BRT and the routes and how they will perform based on collected data and trends from matatu public transport including designated bus stops..
That way we would already know what would be the most optimal routes to start the BRT .... we would also know how we would intergrate matatus with the BRT for those going beyond where the BRT will reach.
But since this is Kenya and we know how we do things without much thinking. I mean take the example of outtering road, the original designs had space for BRT, but somehow during construction it disappeared and now a few months after completion of outtering, they are talking about BRT and that they will need to look for new space because the space that is there can't fit a BRT lane... And yet the master plan for BRT was r leased 10 years ago... The same thing is/will happen to Mombasa road with the expressway...
And BTW I have not seen anyone asking or talking about how the jkia-westalnds expressway will intergrate with the Mombasa-Nrb expressway for seamless connectivity , also if Konza Technopolis becomes a reality, there will need to be another freeway from Konza to JKIA and to CBD...is anyone in government working on how all these projects will be intergrated inoder to save ourselves from costly delays and expensive compulsory land acquisitions in the future?? Or are going to keep on just making stuff up as we go
__________________

Kenya Patriot, DissidentX liked this post
dbrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2019, 06:59 PM   #1007
sleekpiano
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nairobi
Posts: 1,838
Likes (Received): 1529

The thing is, guys in KURA are green when it comes to BRT. There was capacity building by world bank sometime back under the NUTRIP project but am not sure if it was effective. There is a new body called NAMATA that was formed to spearhead all plans and operations of mass transit within Nairobi and it’s environs. This is the body that is supposed to have the experts. It’s relatively new body and am not sure how strong it is as an authority.
sleekpiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2019, 07:51 PM   #1008
Kenya Patriot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,286
Likes (Received): 1264

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrown View Post
There was a time IBM used mobile devices and mapped all the major public transport routes in Nairobi then they used their Watson AI mainframe to come up with some stats that would make optimal use public transport and traffic control systems within Nairobi Metro... If we were a serious country we would have used the IBM data to simulate the BRT and the routes and how they will perform based on collected data and trends from matatu public transport including designated bus stops..
That way we would already know what would be the most optimal routes to start the BRT .... we would also know how we would intergrate matatus with the BRT for those going beyond where the BRT will reach.
But since this is Kenya and we know how we do things without much thinking. I mean take the example of outtering road, the original designs had space for BRT, but somehow during construction it disappeared and now a few months after completion of outtering, they are talking about BRT and that they will need to look for new space because the space that is there can't fit a BRT lane... And yet the master plan for BRT was r leased 10 years ago... The same thing is/will happen to Mombasa road with the expressway...
And BTW I have not seen anyone asking or talking about how the jkia-westalnds expressway will intergrate with the Mombasa-Nrb expressway for seamless connectivity , also if Konza Technopolis becomes a reality, there will need to be another freeway from Konza to JKIA and to CBD...is anyone in government working on how all these projects will be intergrated inoder to save ourselves from costly delays and expensive compulsory land acquisitions in the future?? Or are going to keep on just making stuff up as we go
Read the JICA masterplan for Nairobi Integrated Transport network. They have a section on how data was collected, the various scientific means used including the mobile devices captured, the data collected, the formula used for determining the results of the data and how final numbers were reached. With all references to previous studies, same formulas used worldwide and verifications on the studies needed. A clear well thought out masterplan. It was thrown out for quick fixes, other 49 studies, tenderpreneurs and low hanging fruits.

Yes we appreciate the little good has been done and average performance is better than the previous mess or no changes at all. However the annoying bit is that we know with better decisions and proper plans execution we could at least get far much better projects and save more money.
Kenya Patriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 03:53 PM   #1009
Mwana254
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 26
Likes (Received): 53

took snapshots of The Ndovu/A104 BRT project done by ITDP in 2015. This remains the most detailed comprehensive BRT Services Plan for Nairobi.

"The Ndovu/A104 BRT project in Nairobi is currently on a trajectory to become a world‐class BRT project. The highest quality BRT systems are designed around a good service plan. A service plan determines where the BRT routes will go, how big stations will need to be, and how many passengers a BRT system will attract. The BRT infrastructure is then designed specifically for this service plan.

At the request of the Kenya National Highways Authority (KeNHA), ITDP has prepared a preliminary BRT service plan for the Ndovu/A104 BRT project according to international best practice in BRT service planning. This report details the process, methodology, and modeling results from several detailed alternative service scenarios. The recommended service scenario in this report minimizes land acquisition, reduces the capital costs needed for transfer stations, minimizes travel time for passengers, and attracts the most passengers. The results of each alternative option are shown. The best scenario for the project would result in a top‐quality BRT that can be replicated in Nairobi, in Kenya, in East Africa, and throughout the world
."






















From this study, the Govt only needs less than Ksh30B to develop literally one of the best BRT Services in the world.
Mwana254 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 09:33 PM   #1010
sleekpiano
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nairobi
Posts: 1,838
Likes (Received): 1529

Govt need to prioritise this. Its been talked on for ages. Too much planning with little progress on actual implementation.
sleekpiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 10:43 PM   #1011
donddon
Registered User
 
donddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,523
Likes (Received): 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwana254 View Post

From this study, the Govt only needs less than Ksh30B to develop literally one of the best BRT Services in the world.
This government has made it seem that building and maintaining a BRT is sooo mountain that even Kshs. 30B would not cover that cost (in their eyes). Ongeza ya kukula na ya kutoa hapo then you end up towards Kshs. 50B and all other manner of approvals and compensations and what have you...!! I tip my hat to any investor investing and building in Kenya today. The frustrations alone would make one look elsewhere.
__________________

Arzedu, felakuti1 liked this post
donddon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us