Newcastle and the North East - PUBS and CLUBS (CIU etc) of the present day - Page 496 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old February 2nd, 2020, 09:56 AM   #9901
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 4148

Bar 52, former Antler, 55 Degrees Roundabout, Newcastle - pictures 01/02/20

Some pictures by myself from Saturday 01/02/20 approx 1400 showing views of Bar 52, former Antler, 55 Degrees Roundabout, Newcastle

Images hosted on Post image site

KEN

DemoManz liked this post
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 2nd, 2020, 11:19 AM   #9902
DemoManz

Likes (Received): 82

Is the Antler sign now a 'ghost sign'?
DemoManz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2020, 11:42 PM   #9903
Frank Black

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
What s the Three Tuns like. I ve driven past and thought it looked really sketchy but I might be doing it an injustice.
I gather from someone who used to work there that it is notorious for illegal substances, allegedly.
Frank Black no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2020, 01:02 AM   #9904
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 1227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Black View Post
I gather from someone who used to work there that it is notorious for illegal substances, allegedly.
Driving past I guessed you weren't a regular.

It doesn't bode well for the Schooner, of course the management will be unaware, but even so the Three Tuns doesn't look to be the sort of place that might be frequented by hipster students enjoying the occasional herbal cheroot as they put the world to rights.
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2020, 04:32 PM   #9905
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 4148

South Shields Wetherspoons The Wouldhave Pub and The Ranch House, Mile End Road, South Shields, conversion/alterations - pictures 04/02/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post
Scheme covered on previous posts #1290, 1407 on South Shields thread and this thread #9393 on 21/09/18 - Grant of Planning Permission, #9566 & last #9819 on 12/10/19

On South Tyneside Council Planning Portal

EXTRACT

Application Number ST/0640/18/FUL

Site Address The Wouldhave 40-42 Mile End Road and The Ranch House Mile End Road South Shields NE33 1TA

Proposal Partial demolition of existing nightclub and associated works to connect to adjacent public house, including the change of use to Class A4 (drinking establishment) of the Town and Country Planning (Use Class) Order. External seating area to southern elevation and extend bin store to northern elevation. Alterations to elevations of existing nightclub, including timber cladding to ground floor and installation of bifold doors to north and south elevations. Alterations to windows at first floor level.

Current Status REGISTER

Application Registered 24-07-2018

http://planning.southtyneside.info/N...DAURI=PLANNING

Pictures by myself from Wednesday 11/12/19 approx 1115 showing that work has now started on The Wouldhave pub, 40-42 Mile End Road South Shields

Images hosted on Post Image site

KEN
Scheme covered on previous posts #1290, 1407 on South Shields thread and this thread #9393 on 21/09/18 - Grant of Planning Permission, #9566, #9819 on 12/10/19 and #9862 on 11/12/19 (cut down version above, pictures removed)

Pictures by myself from Monday 04/02/20 approx 1400 showing further views of work being carried out on The Wouldhave pub, 40-42 Mile End Road South Shields

Images hosted on Post Image site

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2020, 01:26 AM   #9906
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Hmmmmmm.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...entre-17685384

Quote:
'Weird wonderland' Junkyard Golf to open in Newcastle - complete with cocktails and fairground food...An application for a premises licence has been lodged with Newcastle City Council for the site on the corner of Clayton Street and Newgate Street.
In the middle of the special stress area....click here to print your premises licence, no questions asked..
Old February 7th, 2020, 02:54 PM   #9907
johnson293

Likes (Received): 58

New wine bar in the former Bigg Market (underground) toilets opens later today..

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/what...opens-17702130
johnson293 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2020, 02:17 AM   #9908
DemoManz

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson293 View Post
New wine bar in the former Bigg Market (underground) toilets opens later today..

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/what...opens-17702130
Slightly farcical situation where I was refused entry tonight because there were too many people in there
Old February 8th, 2020, 01:32 PM   #9909
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoManz View Post
Slightly farcical situation where I was refused entry tonight because there were too many people in there
Hope it works for them but not sure it will last, not as what they 'say' it is anyway. Would you want to take your beloved in there for an 10quid glass of wine to emerge, stading in a pool of vomit messing up your brogues.

It might have a future as something less upmarket, or though I remain sceptical about the entire regeneration and NCC's will to make re changes, to survive long enough for the surroundings to go upmarket.
Old February 9th, 2020, 01:04 AM   #9910
Gweesy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Dunk people and guns, what could possibly go wrong, even if they are laser type.
Went to the one in Manchester in December, looked like a lot of fun and not dangerous at all.
Gweesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2020, 01:33 AM   #9911
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Hope it works for them but not sure it will last, not as what they 'say' it is anyway. Would you want to take your beloved in there for an 10quid glass of wine to emerge, stading in a pool of vomit messing up your brogues.

It might have a future as something less upmarket, or though I remain sceptical about the entire regeneration and NCC's will to make re changes, to survive long enough for the surroundings to go upmarket.
It'll certainly last if NCC vision for the Bigg Market is to make it more of a central food and drink destination, getting rid of the shite takeaways and crap bars. This and a couple of others with the NE1 ground works seem to be catalyst for change.
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2020, 02:17 AM   #9912
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweesy View Post
Went to the one in Manchester in December, looked like a lot of fun and not dangerous at all.
I used to live in Hale and probably have rose coloured glasses as to more sedate nightlife there .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godscrasher View Post
It'll certainly last if NCC vision for the Bigg Market is to make it more of a central food and drink destination, getting rid of the shite takeaways and crap bars. This and a couple of others with the NE1 ground works seem to be catalyst for change.
It's about if and right now it's more about painting things than what is really needed which is active regulation of some of the more 'colourful' emporia. Gresham's law applies as much to bars as it does to money and 'bad' bars drive out good ones, rarely the other way round.

The only way the lousy bars and kebab shops will go is if they are 'licensed out' though licensing reviews - earlier closing, food led conditions and so on. There's enough disorder there to run with it. Without that... if you re a kebab shop, why would you close, NE1 has paid for your premises to be tarted up, keep taking the money

I hope their plans work but so far NCC licencing rarely shows any will to do much on regulating anything.

Godscrasher liked this post
Old February 11th, 2020, 07:23 PM   #9913
alf stone

Likes (Received): 488

WC in the Bigg Market

A friend sent me this amusing item from the Daily Telegraph:

Bigg Bog by alfred stone, on Flickr
alf stone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2020, 07:29 PM   #9914
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf stone View Post
A friend sent me this amusing item from the Daily Telegraph:

Bigg Bog by alfred stone, on Flickr
Give that sub editor a medal. That's a really good tag line.

Godscrasher liked this post
Old February 15th, 2020, 03:46 PM   #9915
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Glasshouse

Licensing review.

https://publicaccessapplications.new...=Q5MYZUBS0IG00

The day Sambucca took over I called the council to advise them that the new operator was in breach of the licensing conditions....
Old February 20th, 2020, 06:25 PM   #9916
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Antler Update

Re opening as Bar 52 [sic] Sports Bar. No I don;t know why it's 52 either....

I assume it will tread the road to nastyness, though the sports bar concpet has never really flown in Newcastle save for boozers selling drink on match days and perhaps 'national' events.

Shall we start the 'when will the Chronic' notice clock ?
And the answer was 21 days. Congratulations on more great journalism to the team at NCJ.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...hemed-17780894

Can anyone help me reconciling:

Quote:
The venue at Newcastle’s 55 Degrees North has undergone a multimillion pound renovation after being bought by the High Street Group last summer.
with

Quote:
Gary Hutchinson, the former Sunderland AFC commercial director and head of Club Wembley, bought the bar from former owner Bob Senior in 2017 as the first focus for his firm Chrysalis Leisure, and then formed a a joint venture with London investors called PAGH Ventures to run the operation, ploughing £750,000 into a massive transformation of the venue which was unveiled in June 2018.
When the renovation seems to have simply involved the removal of the higher quality features installed in the £750k refurb' and and the installation of signs extolling the USA's number one combined beer and disinfectant.

The operator does have two other with the same brand, https://www.bar-52.co.uk/ which might explain the incongruous name on the site. Though some care might be needed clicking on search results as you could easily click on the website for a Newcastle establishment where gentlemen would enjoy each other's company [which is fine but might give some browser history 'issues' for some].

One of the tunnels is being repainted with NUFC type murals, which might last all of 2 weeks I suspect..

Last edited by newcastlepubs; February 20th, 2020 at 07:38 PM.
Old February 21st, 2020, 12:42 PM   #9917
Storstorm

Likes (Received): 0

I suspect that the Bridge and Broad Chare will not be quaking in their boots....

Shuffleboard is like a small curling or like a small bowling?
I've found here some tables, but all of them look like curling.
Storstorm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2020, 07:35 PM   #9918
DemoManz

Ahh, the sweet smell of snobbery. I think it'll most likely be fine, I quite like the Shark Club myself. Will probably have a look in Bar 52.
Old Yesterday, 02:06 AM   #9919
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoManz View Post
Ahh, the sweet smell of snobbery. I think it'll most likely be fine, I quite like the Shark Club myself. Will probably have a look in Bar 52.
Not so much snobbery, though US bud is not for me, more that that the sportsbar concept - save for matchdays which is any pub with Sky does not seem to fly.

It is a difficult site and [snob or not] concepts way downmarket of this have failed there.

Shark probably survives because of the hotel, but there s not a great track record of the canadian hockey bar, places I know well working stand alone here.
Old Today, 11:07 AM   #9920
DemoManz

Stack owner says further Stack sites to open in the North East. Duke of Wellington conversion to YOLO to take place in ‘early 2021’. https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/stack-owners-reveal-plans-more-17792546
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
alcohol, beer, breweries, brewery, ciu, ciu clubs, club, clubs, newcastle, newcastle pubs, newcastle retail, nightclub, nightclubs, off licence, off license, pub, public house, public houses, pubs, retail, s & n, scottish & newcastle, social clubs, spirits, wine