TRANSPORT | City Region - Page 277 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area > Leeds City Region Transport Projects

Leeds City Region Transport Projects Transport proposals and developments

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 19th, 2019, 11:00 PM   #5521
Bradley Hardacre
Silent but deadly

Likes (Received): 408

Boris’s ‘promise’ sounds very encouraging but is it just a sop for when the HS2 Eastern branch is cancelled?
Bradley Hardacre está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2019, 01:14 AM   #5522
oyster

Likes (Received): 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paf_82 View Post
The tunnelling involved would be significantly expensive.
Appreciate there’s a higher cost involved but it’s quite extreme the way in which this country tries to avoid building tunnels, to the absolute detriment of good, long term planning. On the continent tunnels are much more widespread be it rail or roads but here they’re largely Victorian relics or, if new, only reserved for seriously high profile infrastructure projects. We’re the seventh richest country in the world and pioneers of engineering but building something like a couple of miles of new tunnel under Leeds city centre, that would deliver benefits for decades to come, is completely unfathomable.
oyster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2019, 11:34 AM   #5523
cmj

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Hardacre View Post
Boris’s ‘promise’ sounds very encouraging but is it just a sop for when the HS2 Eastern branch is cancelled?
Being Boris, It's probably a lie.
cmj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2019, 01:47 PM   #5524
Carl Shutt
Carl Shutt ruined my life

Likes (Received): 322

Lots of stuff in here about Transport and Devolution.

https://www.westyorks-ca.gov.uk/medi...rity-areas.pdf

hzrd, oyster liked this post
Carl Shutt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2019, 02:59 PM   #5525
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 2760

Well, while I am confident that the continent will be royally screwed by Boris Johnson's extreme-right Government, there may be a small silver lining in this if he chooses to prioritise a mass-transit system in Leeds as he highlights. So far his word is yet to be proven on anything, mind.

Westcumbria liked this post
Leeds No.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2019, 04:07 PM   #5526
hzrd

Likes (Received): 414

So if Boris Johnson's Goverment is extreme right, what the hell does that make the BNP ?...
hzrd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2019, 04:13 PM   #5527
lazygamer

Likes (Received): 853

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzrd View Post
So if Boris Johnson's Goverment is extreme right, what the hell does that make the BNP ?...
The British Nancy Panzy party?

OnTime liked this post
lazygamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2019, 01:19 AM   #5528
oyster

Boris Johnson is not far right; this is another construct of the left wing Twittersphere. People need to get a grip.
Old December 21st, 2019, 02:40 PM   #5529
Lavalas

Likes (Received): 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavalas View Post
Well YEP are banging the drum today...

https://twitter.com/lauracollinsypn/...840849920?s=21

Shapps responds to accept the invite...

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....w-lane-1347027
Lavalas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2019, 11:27 PM   #5530
Val Verde

Likes (Received): 563

Proposals to revamp York railway station to add new retail units including a Marks & Spencer Simply food, a first class lounge, a re-located ticket office and a customer zone: https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/181...nsformed-2020/

Good to see some work done at York railway station although certainly more needs doing such as additional capacity to allow for York station to cope with both Intercity and commuter trains. Also York really should have some suburban stations at locations such as Askham Bar and Haxby imo.

Also there is a proposal for a 20mph zone to cover most city centre roads: https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/le...sport-17480268 and for Northern Rail to be nationalised and split into North Western and North Eastern rail franchises: https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/...thern-17478478

Certainly critical over the effectiveness of 20mph zones imo considering they are hardly ever enforced and 20mph is certainly very slow when travelling on an empty road especially when it is safe to travel at 30mph. As for Northern Rail certainly wouldn't surprise me to see it nationalised and split in two considering the very poor performance of Northern Rail in recent years as there certainly does need to be major improvements in the railways of Northern England. However could this move to split the Northern Rail franchise potentially see additional new railway services launched in recent years either being axed or split especially those crossing the Pennines with an example being the Leeds - Chester service which could be split at Manchester and of course Northern Rail must have certainly suffered from a lack of investment with Pacer's running later than planned, a lack of electrification, lack of new capacity such as additional tracks, signalling and rolling stock, regular industrial action and the cancellation and overcrowding of many services.

Last edited by Val Verde; December 29th, 2019 at 11:34 PM.
Val Verde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2019, 02:31 AM   #5531
Leeds No.1

A lot more than £2m is needed to make the changes York station needs. I hate the fact that an entire length of part of the train shed is used for parking, that there's a huge gap down the middle of the station with space for two tracks, but meanwhile there are 3 platforms under an awful corrugated iron extension.

What happened to Network Rail taking over the direct operation of the station?
Old December 30th, 2019, 11:16 AM   #5532
Northumbriana

Likes (Received): 309

I wonder if at any point they'll decide to connect the two pairs of terminating platforms in the main shed to form two longer through platforms? That space between the current two through platforms under the main shed could be closed a bit and a middle track placed between those platform tracks and the other two I mentioned to allow platform splitting?
Northumbriana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2019, 11:21 AM   #5533
fevtom

Likes (Received): 52

I don't travel into York often but I've always found the station quite pleasant. I'm a tourist though, rather than a regular commuter. I'm starting to think we'll grant city status based on whether or not the station has an M&S Simply Food, kind of like how it used to be cathedrals.

Northern really have surpassed their own incredibly low standards recently. Shameless plug here but I decided to try and turn it into a positive in the new year and run on the weekend for every minute my train to and from work is delayed through the week. Based on this year I reckon I would've done around 130 miles which would take me from my back door to the Scottish border. Anyway it's @RunNorthDelay if you want to see how I get on.
fevtom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2019, 01:36 PM   #5534
Leeds No.1

The footbridge has no lift or escalator access - you can use the horrible cramped subway via the tiny lifts though. I'm not sure what they were thinking with those 70s type toilet blocks either?

York should be like St Pancras.
Old January 8th, 2020, 03:23 PM   #5535
hippietrailer

Likes (Received): 304

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....rLHeUcGabYYMuY

Light rail anybody. Oh wait...
Old January 8th, 2020, 06:15 PM   #5536
Loiner's Girders
Back home

Likes (Received): 1707

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippietrailer View Post
...and wait...

hippietrailer liked this post
Loiner's Girders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2020, 10:24 PM   #5537
Paf_82

Likes (Received): 2572

Grant shaps failed to turn up for the transport forum in the city today. Apparently he was double booked.

He’s coming tomorrow instead, unless his train gets delayed.

hzrd, Smylers liked this post
Paf_82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2020, 06:04 PM   #5538
Loiner's Girders
Back home

Likes (Received): 1707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paf_82 View Post
Grant shaps failed to turn up for the transport forum in the city today. Apparently he was double booked.

He’s coming tomorrow instead, unless his train gets delayed.
If he can't organise a diary, how's he going to organise the tangled web which is our railways?
Loiner's Girders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2020, 06:07 PM   #5539
oyster

Caught my first Class 331 train today on the Wharfedale line. Hope this soon means the end of the handful of Class 322s running on the line but despite being brand new I don’t think they’re necessarily better than the quality Class 333s that generally run the route. Lots of tables which is nice when quiet but I’m not sure how practical they’ll be on a packed commuter service - surely not a good idea and are there not many fewer seats for the tables and having only 4 seats across rather than 5 as on the 333s? The seats are pretty hard, seats don’t line up with windows, they make a loud noise like a vacuum cleaner when on-board and the overall build quality seems inferior to that of some new trains. Also prefer the information screens being above the central corridor too rather than above the seats on partition walls. Still, I’m nitpicking and if you’re used to a Pacer every day then the diesel version of these trains will feel like you’ve teleported into the distant future. Presume still no news on any platform lengthening to allow for six car formations?
Old January 9th, 2020, 10:41 PM   #5540
Paf_82

Likes (Received): 2572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiner's Girders View Post
If he can't organise a diary, how's he going to organise the tangled web which is our railways?
Probably still better than Chris Greyling

Loiner's Girders liked this post
Paf_82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement