People's Salvation Cathedral | 120 m | U/C - Page 80 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Romania & Moldova > Development Forums > BucharestĖIlfov

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 10th, 2020, 05:03 PM   #1581
djlivu

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaduc View Post
Yes, St Peter's Basilica in Vatican City is about 119 meters tall inside but this is the total height and not the height of the dome. The internal height of 119 m include the lantern ("the little temple" as you say). This is above the oculus (the hole in the centre top of the dome).
But the height of the dome itself is measured to the level of the oculus. This height is about 102-103 meters inside (St Peter's Basilica).

As for the People's Salvation Cathedral in Bucharest. The height of the dome inside is 104 meters. This information is provided in some news in the net.
It can not be 105,4 meters.

As for the diameter of the dome of PSC. Do not feel sad about that. It is almost 17 meters inside. This is not small at all. Actually it is big diameter.
You mention the diameter of the dome of some of the most famous big cathedrals. Yes, they have bigger diameter BUT these are only few examples and they have not just large diameters of their domes but the largest in the world.

And it is not just that. Actually it is not disadvantage that PSC has smaller diameter of the main dome. With smaller diameter the dome looks even taller inside - laws of the optics.
Also, there are specific types of church architecture which combine tall dome with relatively smaller diameter.
You can see this if you look to the Cathedral of Vidin (St Demetrius/Dimitar) for example.
The architects deliberately use proportions of this kind. It depends of the case and the architecture of every cathedral itself.

My personal opinion: If the diameter of the dome of PSC was 21 meters inside (not more and not less), it would be perfect, the best proportion, effect etc.
Now they made it a little bit smaller in diameter (17 m) and it is still very good.
There is no problem at all.

By the way, with this record height, if the diameter of the dome was more than 25 m for example, it would take a lot of money. It would increase the total cost of the church with millions (maybe tens of millions)
Also, the weight would be much bigger. It would be very, very complicated. It would be issue for the strength, the durability, the resistance of earthquakes and so on.

The important thing is that this is the tallest dome in the world.
That is a very interesting and documented point of view!
About the tallest dome int the world there is another contender, the Yamoussoukro basilica, in Ivory Coast. It may be taller than San Pietro, but i don t know the interior height. Also, I don t know if the dome of this cathedral has an inside concrete structure or is made only of metal

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...moussoukro.jpg

https://fastly.4sqi.net/img/general/...2HrGR1ZXpc.jpg
djlivu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2020, 06:15 PM   #1582
vaduc

Likes (Received): 6547

As I see, the lantern and the cross of the basilica in Yamoussoukro are 40 meters tall (both combined). The total height of this church building is 158 meters. So the dome is 118 meters tall outside (158 - 40 = 118).
I also do not see any information about its height inside. But we can guess.
The dome of PSC is about 120 meters tall outside (without the lantern and the cross). So it is about 2 meters taller than the dome of the basilica in Yamoussoukro.
The dome of Yamoussoukro basilica has diameter of about 90 meters (wow!) according to the information in the net. So the outer structure (the metal "roof") of this dome is most probably more elevated above the inner dome than the outer structure of the dome of PSC is elevated above the inner dome. I mean the space between the inner and the outer dome. So, the inner height of the dome of Yamoussoukro basilica is most probably considerably lower than the inner height of the dome of PSC. I guess that the dome of Yamoussoukro basilica is less than 100 m tall inside. And probably less than 95 m. Just because the outer structure of this dome is huge.
And yes, I think you are right - it seems that the dome of Yamoussoukro basilica is metal and glass structure and has no concrete.

Last edited by vaduc; January 10th, 2020 at 06:32 PM.
vaduc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2020, 10:25 PM   #1583
gab2406

Likes (Received): 1195

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlivu View Post
Impresionant.
Old January 10th, 2020, 10:26 PM   #1584
gab2406

Quote:
Originally Posted by balcaniq View Post
Alti muritori de foame care isi fac megabengoasa catedrala. Cool bro
Bogatia nu se masoara in bani
Old January 11th, 2020, 03:26 PM   #1585
Klausenburg

Likes (Received): 5223

Dubreu liked this post
Klausenburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2020, 04:05 PM   #1586
MSirbu

Likes (Received): 1084

Untitled by mariansirbu2001, on Flickr
Old January 13th, 2020, 06:01 PM   #1587
djlivu

lovalova, crocozaur, Randaal, Clinlin, Martin_B liked this post
Old January 13th, 2020, 09:56 PM   #1588
vaduc

Interesting.
But on these plans I see some numbers which are possibly not correct. I have seen other plans and drawings with different numbers. Also, some news in the net provide some different numbers.
For example: the height of the little dome - is it 48 meters or 55 meters; the height of the nave - is it 42 meters or 44 meters; the main dome - is it 105.4 meters or 104 meters (inside)...?

Which is the source of these plans and drawings? Is it official?
The first plan above looks like combination (collage) of two different plans from different sources.
Also, it looks like that the numbers and other information are added on the plans with Windows program "Paint"...

Last edited by vaduc; January 13th, 2020 at 10:24 PM.
Old January 13th, 2020, 11:21 PM   #1589
balcaniq

Likes (Received): 695

Quote:
Originally Posted by gab2406 View Post
Bogatia nu se masoara in bani
Tru

Anyway, care e termenul de finalizare?
Old January 14th, 2020, 05:48 PM   #1590
djlivu

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaduc View Post
Interesting.
But on these plans I see some numbers which are possibly not correct. I have seen other plans and drawings with different numbers. Also, some news in the net provide some different numbers.
For example: the height of the little dome - is it 48 meters or 55 meters; the height of the nave - is it 42 meters or 44 meters; the main dome - is it 105.4 meters or 104 meters (inside)...?

Which is the source of these plans and drawings? Is it official?
The first plan above looks like combination (collage) of two different plans from different sources.
Also, it looks like that the numbers and other information are added on the plans with Windows program "Paint"...
I think the first drawing is official because I have seen it in a documentary made by Trinitas TV. Here they interviewed the chief engineer and he used that drawing to point some details of the cathedral. He stated that - showing to another drawing with a depiction of the inside part of the building that the interior height is 106 m.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145040...posted-public/
Old January 14th, 2020, 10:12 PM   #1591
vaduc

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlivu View Post
I think the first drawing is official because I have seen it in a documentary made by Trinitas TV. Here they interviewed the chief engineer and he used that drawing to point some details of the cathedral. He stated that - showing to another drawing with a depiction of the inside part of the building that the interior height is 106 m.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145040...posted-public/
Thanks.
Wow, 106 m inside. This is new information. I watched this documentary of Trinitas TV but there is no subtitles in English and I do not understand what they talk in the documentary.

I found one of these plans. Unfortunately the numbers are not readable on the picture and we can not see what are the numbers.
Here it is:

Source: https://www.click.ro/news/national/o...er-din-romania

Trestie liked this post
Old January 15th, 2020, 02:11 AM   #1592
OurWorld

Likes (Received): 1411

Great, like looking through a pipe!
Height yes, width not! Grandeur element....eliminated
Probably the narrowest, compared with height.
Old January 15th, 2020, 09:44 AM   #1593
vaduc

OurWorld liked this post
Old January 18th, 2020, 02:21 AM   #1594
CadÓr
Genuine Tatar

Likes (Received): 10153

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurWorld View Post
Great, like looking through a pipe!
Height yes, width not! Grandeur element....eliminated
Probably the narrowest, compared with height.
It comes as a staple of Romanian churches: tall because it should be seen from afar and narrow because that's the style... ?

I think it would look too 'alien' if they try to make a wider dome.

https://gilbertgarage.files.wordpres...-monastery.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/be/d8...4bfcc63e76.jpg

Last edited by CadÓr; January 18th, 2020 at 02:31 AM.
CadÓr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2020, 11:19 PM   #1595
gab2406

Din cauza acelor ferestre oblice, turnul din stanga pare la prima vedere inclinat spre exterior
Old January 19th, 2020, 04:48 PM   #1596
OurWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadÓr View Post
It comes as a staple of Romanian churches: tall because it should be seen from afar and narrow because that's the style... ?

I think it would look too 'alien' if they try to make a wider dome.

https://gilbertgarage.files.wordpres...-monastery.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/be/d8...4bfcc63e76.jpg
The word should be steeple, not staple.
Alien is the word all right when we talk about the Romanian orthodox church as an institution...and it's post 1990 ''masterpieces''.

Main problem is that these guys have never went past Romanesque (in thinking & art - see interior frescoes) and are arrogant (understood as frustrated) as hell itself. London, Paris, Rome have one, why not us? No matter if we ''arrive'' 4 or 8 centuries later. And badly done too.
Present day modern cities are dominated by modern, worldly buildings, except historical centers or cities.
This was, still is, the last problem of Bucharest: to have a huge cathedral! It will surely solve the public transport, health, pollution, maintaining all the infrastructure, education, efficient administration, petty crime...

But yes, pretty sure it was built like that to be visible, dominant as hell. Talking/writing about alien & aliens... Another orthodox dominant ''beauty''

sursa

Last edited by OurWorld; January 19th, 2020 at 04:55 PM.
OurWorld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2020, 11:03 PM   #1597
Randaal

Likes (Received): 2386

Quote:
Alien is the word all right when we talk about the Romanian orthodox church as an institution...and it's post 1990 ''masterpieces''.

Main problem is that these guys have never went past Romanesque (in thinking & art - see interior frescoes) and are arrogant (understood as frustrated) as hell itself. London, Paris, Rome have one, why not us? No matter if we ''arrive'' 4 or 8 centuries later. And badly done too.
Present day modern cities are dominated by modern, worldly buildings, except historical centers or cities.
This was, still is, the last problem of Bucharest: to have a huge cathedral! It will surely solve the public transport, health, pollution, maintaining all the infrastructure, education, efficient administration, petty crime...

But yes, pretty sure it was built like that to be visible, dominant as hell. Talking/writing about alien & aliens... Another orthodox dominant ''beauty''

sursa
ai vreo problema cu Suceava, ca nu imi dau seama?
ah, stai, s-a dat drumul la robinetul cu frustrari, am inteles.

PS: este construita, what you gonna do?
Randaal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2020, 03:16 PM   #1598
OurWorld

Da, am o problema. Ai vreo problema cu faptul ca am vreo problema?
Era sa uit, am si frustrari pe minunatiile astea de lacasuri de cult sfinte.
Old January 22nd, 2020, 05:16 AM   #1599
CadÓr
Genuine Tatar

Likes (Received): 10153

Quote:
I see your point, but you didn't quite get mine :

Quote:
A staple is something that forms an important part of something else. Example: Political reporting has become a staple of American journalism.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di...english/staple
CadÓr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2020, 08:01 PM   #1600
VladyF

Likes (Received): 255

O privire de peste gard:

VladyF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement