SUBURBAN | Development News - Page 102 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Milwaukee

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2020, 03:12 AM   #2021
WisBearcat

Likes (Received): 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatnurd View Post
Almost everything in life is subjective and subject to interpretation to ones best ability. I know for a fact (not subjective because it is my personal knowledge) that large companies do take quality of life into consideration and does include both urban and suburban living decisions.
I think the comment was more along the lines that quality of life varies from person to person. Some people may want to live in the suburbs. I live and work downtown. I love the fact I don't need to drive to work...that being said my walk home tonight sucked. I love being around many options for food and entertainment, the many parks and trails I can easily access from my apartment etc....

Many companies are focused on drawing and retaining younger people like myself, many who prefer to live in an urban environment.

eaglesfant37, dtloken liked this post
WisBearcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2020, 06:45 AM   #2022
eaglesfant37

Likes (Received): 2365

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisBearcat View Post
I think the comment was more along the lines that quality of life varies from person to person. Some people may want to live in the suburbs. I live and work downtown. I love the fact I don't need to drive to work...that being said my walk home tonight sucked. I love being around many options for food and entertainment, the many parks and trails I can easily access from my apartment etc....

Many companies are focused on drawing and retaining younger people like myself, many who prefer to live in an urban environment.
I'd rather walk in this than drive. Honestly, I might be in the minority, but considering the lack of snow we've had this winter, I'm not sick of it yet. I will be come February though lol.

knope2001, MKERevival, dtloken liked this post
eaglesfant37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2020, 02:47 PM   #2023
MKERevival
Just a Source of Opinion

Likes (Received): 5853

SUBURBAN | Development News

Quote:
Almost everything in life is subjective and subject to interpretation to ones best ability. I know for a fact (not subjective because it is my personal knowledge) that large companies do take quality of life into consideration and does include both urban and suburban living decisions.

Exactly, it’s a company by company and person by person basis, so not sure why you’d word it in a way that states at the burbs are the better quality of life option.

Perosnally, Id end up blowing my brains out I’d I had to live in Germantown.

Wisconsin Breweries Map: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1075...jWnONeAyafvqLw
MKERevival no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2020, 04:14 PM   #2024
Boatnurd

Likes (Received): 2119

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKERevival View Post
Exactly, it’s a company by company and person by person basis, so not sure why you’d word it in a way that states at the burbs are the better quality of life option.

Perosnally, Id end up blowing my brains out I’d I had to live in Germantown.
Put your bias aside. I never stated the burbs were better quality of life. It is a company’s decision where to locate. If you took away from this that the burbs were better god help you. If a company chooses the city to locate, then it is a better quality of life in their studies for their employees and vice versa. This is not difficult. Many decisions go into where to locate a large mass of employees. Quality of life for their workforce is simply one of them. Go plow your driveway...... oh, wait....
Old January 18th, 2020, 05:37 PM   #2025
dtloken

Likes (Received): 1239

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisBearcat View Post

I work downtown and live on the east side and actually got rid of my car a year ago. It's kind of a pain trying to get to the edges of the city, Tosa, etc. but overall my lifestyle hasn't changed much at all because nearly everything I do is in walking/bus/bike/rideshare distance.

I haven't left Milwaukee County since Christmas Day, and I can't say I miss not seeing Brookfield and Waukesha.

One thing that I think a lot of car dependent/suburban people don't really understand is that the journey through the city via transit, bike, walking, etc. is enjoyable in its own right even if it does take slightly longer. I mean I might be wrong, but I can't see someone in the deep burbs taking a 2 hour walk with no given destination through cul-du-sac subdivisions, on the other hand it's something I do regularly wandering around the city with no purpose other than listening to podcasts & exploring.

knope2001, eaglesfant37 liked this post
dtloken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2020, 05:44 PM   #2026
Boatnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtloken View Post
I work downtown and live on the east side and actually got rid of my car a year ago. It's kind of a pain trying to get to the edges of the city, Tosa, etc. but overall my lifestyle hasn't changed much at all because nearly everything I do is in walking/bus/bike/rideshare distance.

I haven't left Milwaukee County since Christmas Day, and I can't say I miss not seeing Brookfield and Waukesha.
That is a great story dtloken and one that I admire. Truly a situation that works well for your lifestyle and many others. Creating a walkable urban environment should be a goal and what many communities are working hard to mimic for those grasping for this type of living/working environment. With everything close by and in walking distance, your world gets smaller and more personable in my opinion. I too am working towards this goal.

knope2001 liked this post
Boatnurd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2020, 12:37 AM   #2027
Crankbaiter
Crankbaiter

Likes (Received): 796

I've biked a bit since I moved to town last Fall. The downtown streets need some serious help to make them safe for bike riding. I'm referring to the joints, cracks and potholes. Taking evasive action to avoid puts you in a dangerous situation when cars don't give you much room. Having said that, there are some remarkably nice roads like Lake Dr just not that many.

eaglesfant37, SidewalkMD liked this post
Crankbaiter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2020, 02:16 PM   #2028
MKERevival
Just a Source of Opinion

Quote:
Put your bias aside. I never stated the burbs were better quality of life. It is a company’s decision where to locate. If you took away from this that the burbs were better god help you. If a company chooses the city to locate, then it is a better quality of life in their studies for their employees and vice versa. This is not difficult. Many decisions go into where to locate a large mass of employees. Quality of life for their workforce is simply one of them. Go plow your driveway...... oh, wait....
Not trying to be argumentative, and I have opinions and preferences, not bias.

You literally said, "Companies like Carma Brand, Kohl's, Milwaukee Tool, Leonardo DRS obviously experience something the suburbs offer the city does not. Lower taxes, lower crime, access to freeways, quality of life for their employee base, room to expand, etc."

How am I not supposed to interpret that as stating the burbs have quality of like and the city doesn't. You list it after saying "the suburbs offer city does not".

Old January 19th, 2020, 03:32 PM   #2029
Boatnurd

Quote:

You literally said, "Companies like Carma Brand, Kohl's, Milwaukee Tool, Leonardo DRS obviously experience something the suburbs offer the city does not. Lower taxes, lower crime, access to freeways, quality of life for their employee base, room to expand, etc."

How am I not supposed to interpret that as stating the burbs have quality of like and the city doesn't. You list it after saying "the suburbs offer city does not".
I apologize if this post hurt your feelings and caused you so much anxiety. Obviously this triggered something and it was wrong. I need to be more sensitive in the future and mindful of how I distribute my words so as not to create such a pugnacious, controversial, and hurtful environment to those of a higher sensitivity than myself.

Last edited by Boatnurd; January 19th, 2020 at 03:44 PM.
Old January 19th, 2020, 06:03 PM   #2030
sersde

Likes (Received): 36

"You list it after saying "the suburbs offer city does not"

Maybe you should try to make that argument to the 50-70% of city employees that fled to the suburbs for quality of life as soon as the restrictions for living in the city came off.

Until the leadership of Milwaukee understand(and maybe they do since they tried to block it) and comprehend the real issues of why the quality and educated people choose suburb life over city the city will continue to bleed people which it has done for the last 40 years. And this comes from a guy that really supports, likes, and tries to be downtown and east side of the city a lot which means spending a lot of money. I cannot believe how the highly educated and business owners have fled in the last 20 years.

Find the problem and fix it and Milwaukee will grow and prosper with all the people that chose to move to the suburbs to actually have a quality of life.

MKERevival liked this post
sersde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2020, 06:05 PM   #2031
eaglesfant37

Likes (Received): 2365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbaiter View Post
I've biked a bit since I moved to town last Fall. The downtown streets need some serious help to make them safe for bike riding. I'm referring to the joints, cracks and potholes. Taking evasive action to avoid puts you in a dangerous situation when cars don't give you much room. Having said that, there are some remarkably nice roads like Lake Dr just not that many.
Not to mention the constant speeding, running of red lights and driving in what little bike lanes there are downtown to pass other cars. I thought we were supposed to get a north/south cycle track? Wonder what the hold up on that is.
eaglesfant37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2020, 06:32 PM   #2032
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 818

Quote:

I'd argue that the companies that you listed stuck around in the suburbs because they were either originally based there, are currently located there and decided to stick with their current operations plus additional land near their campus, or don't want to spend the $$$ rehabbing a downtown area building and having to spend months relocating.

As for companies that move from the city to the burbs, it's more likely due to where their customers/clients are located.
brewcityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2020, 08:58 PM   #2033
MKERevival
Just a Source of Opinion

Quote:
I apologize if this post hurt your feelings and caused you so much anxiety. Obviously this triggered something and it was wrong. I need to be more sensitive in the future and mindful of how I distribute my words so as not to create such a pugnacious, controversial, and hurtful environment to those of a higher sensitivity than myself.

Way to be an ass. Hilarious how your type just immediately moves on to pretending people are upset or offended. Won’t acknowledge what you wrote. Word your posts better, and don’t be such a c*nt.

Boatnurd liked this post

Last edited by MKERevival; January 20th, 2020 at 06:06 AM.
Old January 20th, 2020, 04:52 PM   #2034
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1725

It seems pretty obvious you can't handle the truth. He didn't say anything that wasn't true from the perspective of the big companies who are making the locational decision. He wasn't talking about his own opinion about a preference of urban / downtown living vs suburban living. He was talking about businesses taking into consideration a lot of factors in deciding what is the best location for their company. Two very different things.

Boatnurd liked this post
GarfieldPark está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2020, 04:57 PM   #2035
MKERevival
Just a Source of Opinion

He stated something as an absolute that isnt. Plain and simple. Then decided to be a belittling douche. That’s the playbook for people like him, though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old January 20th, 2020, 06:26 PM   #2036
mbradleyc

Likes (Received): 6377

Do humans fart more than cows? I wonder because there is some talk out there about methane and cow farts. It seems to me that humans are pretty prodigious at farting and I'm thinking there are more of us than there are of them.

But I could be wrong.

MKE-bound liked this post
mbradleyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2020, 09:49 PM   #2037
dtloken

Likes (Received): 1239

Since you asked: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envi..._gas_emissions
dtloken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2020, 04:30 PM   #2038
MKE-MSP-CHI

Likes (Received): 5135

Wasn't try to start anything with the initial post. Just saying, all things being equal, I'd prefer that companies locate in the urban core rather than the suburbs. And I believe the multiplier effects for doing so are greater than for the burbs. That said, if some of these relocations / expansions help increase diversity, density, and dent the red wall...I'm all for it. And if these companies have a hard time recruiting, perhaps they'll push for more mass transit options or embrace a region wide BRT system. Personally, I think Milwaukee can benefit from a lot of fresh blood - both via immigration and domestic.
Old January 22nd, 2020, 12:44 AM   #2039
MKERevival
Just a Source of Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-MSP-CHI View Post
Wasn't try to start anything with the initial post. Just saying, all things being equal, I'd prefer that companies locate in the urban core rather than the suburbs. And I believe the multiplier effects for doing so are greater than for the burbs. That said, if some of these relocations / expansions help increase diversity, density, and dent the red wall...I'm all for it. And if these companies have a hard time recruiting, perhaps they'll push for more mass transit options or embrace a region wide BRT system. Personally, I think Milwaukee can benefit from a lot of fresh blood - both via immigration and domestic.
Don't think you were, and I certainly wasn't either. Simply was pointing out that somethings aren't facts, but actually opinions.Not sure why boatnurd felt the need to be a d*ck about it.

boatnurd: "Companies like Carma Brand, Kohl's, Milwaukee Tool, Leonardo DRS obviously experience something the suburbs offer the city does not. Lower taxes, lower crime, access to freeways, quality of life for their employee base."

Me: "The bolded part is very much subjective"

boatnurd: "Almost everything in life is subjective and subject to interpretation to ones best ability. I know for a fact (not subjective because it is my personal knowledge) that large companies do take quality of life into consideration and does include both urban and suburban living decisions."

Me: "Exactly, it’s a company by company and person by person basis, so not sure why you’d word it in a way that states at the burbs are the better quality of life option. Personally, Id end up blowing my brains out I’d I had to live in Germantown."

boatnurd: "Put your bias aside. I never stated the burbs were better quality of life. It is a company’s decision where to locate. If you took away from this that the burbs were better god help you. If a company chooses the city to locate, then it is a better quality of life in their studies for their employees and vice versa. This is not difficult. Many decisions go into where to locate a large mass of employees. Quality of life for their workforce is simply one of them. Go plow your driveway...... oh, wait...."

Me: "Not trying to be argumentative, and I have opinions and preferences, not bias. You literally said, "Companies like Carma Brand, Kohl's, Milwaukee Tool, Leonardo DRS obviously experience something the suburbs offer the city does not. Lower taxes, lower crime, access to freeways, quality of life for their employee base, room to expand, etc." How am I not supposed to interpret that as stating the burbs have quality of like and the city doesn't. You list it after saying "the suburbs offer city does not.'"

boatnurd (unnecessarily being an ass): "I apologize if this post hurt your feelings and caused you so much anxiety. Obviously this triggered something and it was wrong. I need to be more sensitive in the future and mindful of how I distribute my words so as not to create such a pugnacious, controversial, and hurtful environment to those of a higher sensitivity than myself."

I'll make sure I don't question something you evvvver say ever again, because clearly you're very easily offended.

Old January 22nd, 2020, 02:37 AM   #2040
Boatnurd

MKERevival, You might be more credible and likable if you stopped calling fellow posters vulgar names. That is no way to convince others you are serious. In the corporate world, you would lose your audience at hello. There are far more important things in life to get so upset over. This is not one of them. Your love and want for success of Milwaukee is loud and clear. Your dislike of the suburbs and those that display any champion for them are astounding. Everyone who posts here enjoys development for the metropolitan area and does not wish any component of it to fail.

mbradleyc liked this post

Last edited by Boatnurd; January 22nd, 2020 at 02:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement