#PROJECTS: Toowoomba - Page 60 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Queensland > Regional Queensland

Regional Queensland Sunshine Coast, Cairns, Townsville, Mackay

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2019, 01:03 PM   #1181
Chuckeh

Likes (Received): 1394

The Glad from Annand/Neil Street carpark

verbatim9, Oriolus, Arreis, leothelion liked this post
Chuckeh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 2nd, 2019, 03:08 PM   #1182
Fyturis

Likes (Received): 1457

Oaks Toowoomba 1 by Fytaris, on Flickr

Oaks Toowoomba 2 by Fytaris, on Flickr

Oaks Toowoomba 3 by Fytaris, on Flickr

verbatim9, leothelion, Oriolus, Arreis liked this post
Fyturis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2019, 01:32 PM   #1183
Chuckeh

The Glad today

leothelion liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2019, 01:15 PM   #1184
jonwil

Likes (Received): 1455

I will be visiting Toowoomba for the first time in a few weeks for a LEGO show (8th/9th/10th of November specifically). The show is happening at the USQ campus. Will be traveling there on a Greyhound bus (since neither the train nor the plane makes any sense)

Any locals got any tips or info I should know when it comes to visiting Toowoomba at that time of year?
jonwil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2019, 02:08 PM   #1185
Chuckeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
I will be visiting Toowoomba for the first time in a few weeks for a LEGO show (8th/9th/10th of November specifically). The show is happening at the USQ campus. Will be traveling there on a Greyhound bus (since neither the train nor the plane makes any sense)

Any locals got any tips or info I should know when it comes to visiting Toowoomba at that time of year?
Don't bother with public transport once in town. Check out some of the great cafe's/small businesses that have popped up around town (https://www.thefieldguidetoowoomba.com/). Check out the laneways in the CBD. If you like walking and character housing, I can suggest walking through/around Queens Park, making sure to check out streets like Campbell and Arthur. Great street trees make it a cool and relaxing walk.

Make sure you check out the Japanese gardens right by USQ.

leothelion, Brisman liked this post
Old October 15th, 2019, 02:10 AM   #1186
jonwil

Any tips on the best way to get from the coach station to the uni? Or any tips on food places near the uni to get cheap eats? (the uni is offering accomodation to the exhibitors so I will be staying there).

As for time to explore, I wont be having a lot of time for that (I get into Toowoomba on the Friday at 2:45 and will need to be at the venue to set up for the display at 5:00 and then I will be at the show all day Saturday and most of Sunday before grabbing my coach back shortly after the show pack-up is done) but if anyone has any tips on good non-major-chain food in town that doesn't cost the earth (particularly things like burgers, barbecue, chicken wings and other meat-laden options) I an interested to hear about it and maybe even try it.
Old October 15th, 2019, 03:12 AM   #1187
Birkish Delight

Likes (Received): 224

There are very few food options near the uni and your best bet is to find something downtown. Easiest way to the Uni is an Uber/ Taxi, though they do have buses that take a very roundabout way before getting to the Uni.
Birkish Delight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2019, 03:53 AM   #1188
jonwil

Taxis sound expensive though
Old October 16th, 2019, 03:02 PM   #1189
Chuckeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
Any tips on the best way to get from the coach station to the uni? Or any tips on food places near the uni to get cheap eats? (the uni is offering accomodation to the exhibitors so I will be staying there).

As for time to explore, I wont be having a lot of time for that (I get into Toowoomba on the Friday at 2:45 and will need to be at the venue to set up for the display at 5:00 and then I will be at the show all day Saturday and most of Sunday before grabbing my coach back shortly after the show pack-up is done) but if anyone has any tips on good non-major-chain food in town that doesn't cost the earth (particularly things like burgers, barbecue, chicken wings and other meat-laden options) I an interested to hear about it and maybe even try it.
Chimac, Kusina, Kajoku, Phat Burgers, El Attar, Skewers. All non-chain restaurants in town that might fit your bill.

Uber will be no more than $10 for that distance i'd imagine. You can very well catch public transport if you wish, just will need to time it well and pay with cash (no go card here).

Brisman liked this post
Old October 17th, 2019, 12:34 AM   #1190
jonwil

Phat Burgers looks like exactly what I want.
Skewers Indonesian would be good also if it wasn't for the price (this trip is costing me enough as it is
Old October 23rd, 2019, 04:35 PM   #1191
Arreis

Likes (Received): 2130

11 level carpark/residential to go up in the empty lot next to Easternwell and the bus station. Does anyone have details on this?

Oriolus liked this post
Arreis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2019, 09:49 PM   #1192
leothelion
NICE HAT.....

Likes (Received): 204

Great news and much needed!
This is all I could find. They did mentioned that this will surpass the height of current tallest downtown (Easternwell Building) by a few meters.

[IMG][/IMG]

Arreis, verbatim9, Oriolus, Danubis, Jacoby2343 liked this post
leothelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2019, 02:34 PM   #1193
Chuckeh

Interesting. Concept needs some work - looks like little to no retail at ground level and the facade could use a little more pizazz. Bulk and form looks promising though. Certainly better than a dirt car park...
Old October 30th, 2019, 03:00 AM   #1194
Jacoby2343

Likes (Received): 62

thank god something big is being built here, whilst the design especially the facade of the carpark needs some work, we will have to see how south central turns out as its the same developer, Bernoth Properties and offers the same amount of apartments and similiar design, to see the quality of his builds. Overall very needed development! Visiting Toowoomba yesterday from Brisbane and going into the so called 'CBD' really is depressing.
Jacoby2343 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2019, 12:32 AM   #1195
jonwil

Thanks to all the people who gave me advice for the trip to Toowoomba. Greyhound did a great job of getting me there and back and the LEGO show was amazing and fun (and USQ were awesome hosts and made everything run smoothly including the accommodation and venue). Grand Central is bigger than I thought it would be just from seeing pictures and Phatburger definitely does good burgers (not the best I have ever had although I do really love their local-first sourcing policy)

The only negative experience I had was one bad-apple driver for Black & White cabs (I used taxis to get from the centre of town to USQ and back since my phone is old and weird and can't do Uber) who was doing dodgy stuff like fiddling with his phone the whole trip (I made a complaint to Black & White cabs about this one driver and the guy who took me back yesterday was much better so its not the whole company that's bad, just the one driver I guess)

I definitely want to go back to Toowoomba and spend more time there (if the LEGO stuff goes back next year I am down for that for sure

I also need to do some more research on local food, I was in the centre of town on Sunday around 5pm looking for some food before I caught the coach back to Brisbane and the only place I could find that was doing inexpensive fast-to-prepare takeaway food that was open in the area was a Subway. Maybe Grand Central would have done better but I wasn't about to head back into that maze and risk not being at the coach terminal when I needed to be there.
Old November 26th, 2019, 12:58 PM   #1196
Chuckeh

The Glad has now topped out. Some of the scaffolding along Ruthven street has been removed to reveal a section of the front facade. White paint and clear glass looking into a plant room? Fingers crossed it improves

Old November 26th, 2019, 06:55 PM   #1197
leothelion
NICE HAT.....

Likes (Received): 204

Does anyone have any pictures?
leothelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2019, 01:45 PM   #1198
Chuckeh

Happy to take some next week. Scaffolding is coming off upper roof section now also.

Old December 1st, 2019, 06:12 AM   #1199
Chuckeh

View from Annand Street on Friday

Arreis, verbatim9, leothelion liked this post
Old December 2nd, 2019, 12:03 PM   #1200
Chuckeh

Ruthven Street frontage today