Gujarat Discussions Thread - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > West > West/Central India Projects > Gujarat

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 25th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #41
GJ10

Likes (Received): 665

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_sky View Post
I think the one that stands out on the top is the metro and they def want to roll it out before the elections. I am not sure about Dholera airport or any other airports for that matter, if the construction will begin anytime soon.

The other thing that seems good in the budget is to train local people with more skills and knowledge due to increasing industrialisation. This definitely will give rise to local talents and increase skill base.
Yeah, I think it all depends on how soon the environmental clearance comes for the Airport. Report was submitted to MoEF in November, hopefully they wont take as long with it as AAI did for the DPR (20months despite estimate of 6!).

Not really sure why they havent started work on the expressway already, probably waiting for the same enviro clearance for the Airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandhi.rushabh1992 View Post
Only 25 crores for Dholera airport. They are not serious about it yet. And 133 crores for the Expressway is also not good enough. It is just a small fraction of the total cost.
Am sure that these are just paid up capital to create the SPVs that will be set up, both projects will most certainly be taken up on the PPP model and cost a lot more than that!
GJ10 no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #42
aks_sky
~AkZ~

Likes (Received): 373

Although IMO the expressway and the airport will only kick in when some infra projects get started in dholera itself. Untill then they might stay on paper or work will progress around there slowly.
aks_sky no está en línea  
Old February 25th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #43
GJ10

Actually, I think you could be right about that. Would be hard to get people to invest in constructing an airport if there is nothing in Dholera!

But encouragingly, seems like the land in Dholera will be handed over to the main 3 anchor tenants soon, hopefully that should be enough to get the Airport/Expy started asap.

HCC and USEL are solid companies, but I dont have much faith in that Sabeer Bhatia and his NanoCity project. At last Vibrant Gujarat, there was a suggestion that Mahindra World City would be setting up in Dholera. There hasnt really been any news on that since, but very recently there has been a suggestion that Mahindra are looking at Gujarat (link)... if Mahindra invest in Dholera, then it will add a lot of gravity to the project.

Real progress on GIFT, Ahmedabad Metro and Dholera SIR would make 2012 a pretty impressive year overall for some of the big-ticket projects.
GJ10 no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #44
CivilEngineer079

Likes (Received): 23

100 crore for Statue of Unity is impressive because it will help us to boost tourism in our state.
Much development in Education and Youth sector is predictable this will help to create large number of skilled man power in Gujarat. Thus every Gujarati is employed by 2020 if the man wants it
Installation of Solar panels on roof tops of Gujarat cities and on Narmada Canal is good start. Also exploration of Geothermal based power plants at diff locations is also nice work done by the minister. Wind power has also given special attention. Green Gujarat
Water resources works and widening of state highways are also the good works undertaken by the goverment

I'm very dissatisfied with main Infra projects they have just tried to touch the projects but allocation of amount is much smaller than its needed e.g-Metro needs 15000 crore for first phase and allocation is only 500 crore and that too for land acquisition. Allocation of 25 crore to Fedra Airport is worthless because what can be done of 25 crore while developing a world-class international airport? Allocation of just 40 crore for Kalpsar Yojana.
CivilEngineer079 no está en línea  
Old February 25th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #45
GJ10

I think you are misinterpreting what the figures are for. When any of those projects are ready to be built, they will opened for bidding on the PPP model. Noone is suggesting an airport can be built for 25Cr or Kalpasar Dam for 40Cr.

As mentioned before, the amount for the Airport (and Expressway) is quite obv only paid up capital to form an SPV, its not like anyone is suggesting an airport can be built for that much money.

As far as Kalpasar goes, current budget mainly just covers a small channel from Narmada River to Gulf of Khambhat.
GJ10 no está en línea  
Old February 25th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #46
CivilEngineer079

But we don't have any SPV for Fedra Airport because airport comes under centers list.
Which company will build MEGA?? any idea?
Is Kalpsar being develop by Guj Gov or on PPP basis?
Old February 25th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #47
GJ10

Airport will not be left to the Centre, (look how they have handled Surat Airport!) it is going to be private like in Bangalore/Hyderabad.

MEGA already has an SPV, article from Divya Bhaskar said that IL&FS have won the contract, no English media have reported it though.
GJ10 no está en línea  
Old February 25th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #48
CivilEngineer079

oh that's good ..... thank you !!

But as airlines have to take permission from DGCA for starting new routes and that is the worst thing affecting Gujarat airports. Hope all goes well and we get a new Fedra International Airport with many new direct international flights from the city soon.
Old February 25th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #49
gandhi.rushabh1992
amdavad meri jaan

Likes (Received): 11772

Federa Airport is also indirectly connected to the progress of GIFT city. If the reports are to be believed, permission for the ultimate skyscrapers at GIFT will be granted only when the current airport is closed down or used in another way and the airport would be shifted to Federa.

However, as the construction of the Federa airport and the GIFT city's smaller buildings will be hopefully going on together, it should all work out nicely.

Uttaram Yat Samudrasya Himadreschaiva Dakshinam | Varsham Tad Bharatam Nama Bharati Yatra Santatih ||

The country that lies north of the ocean and south of the snowy mountains is called Bhārata. There dwell the descendants of Bharata.

-- Vishnu Purana, II, 3.1 (Vedic Period, 800-300 BCE)
gandhi.rushabh1992 no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2012, 04:30 AM   #50
aks_sky
~AkZ~

I have doubts that they will close the airport here, I mean think about the shear volume of work they would have to do just to shift the airport services to Federa. They can still have tall buildings like they do in other cities in western countries. I am in perth right now and the airport is about 20 km from the city center. As far as i am aware the airport and GIFT are further apart than 20km. Have a look at the photo, just to give you an idea of how the perth skyline looks like.

I am sure Gift can have a great skyline and the planes can approach from another direction and shouldnt be much of an issue for them. I believe that this issue is just being made big when it shouldnt be by the authorities. Instead why cant they improve the existing terminal too by including more facilities like shops etc.
aks_sky no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2012, 04:49 AM   #51
aks_sky
~AkZ~

Empowering Talukas:Modi takes class of ATVT Prant officers

Quote:
Chief Minister Narendra Modi today called upon the Prant Officers to take the lead in providing able and efficient governance from the taluka level itself as part of the government’s policy of decentralization of administration.

Just as Gujarat has developed by itself over the last ten years, overcoming various crises and maintaining peace without any guidelines from the Centre, he said that each taluka has the capacity to develop by itself and it is in the same spirit that the government has reposed confidence on the taluka-level administration under innovative ‘Aapnu Taluko Vibrant Taluko’ (ATVT) programme.

Mr. Modi was inaugurating a two-day state-level workshop of 112 prant officers from 225 talukas in the state being organized by the State Revenue Department at Sardar Patel Institute of Public Administration (SPIPA).

It being the golden jubilee year of panchayati raj in Gujarat, he said, it is a great opportunity for each taluka to generate its own financial resources, manage spending, coordinate and implement various government programmes and projects.

Mr. Modi said that one secret about Gujarat’s success is minimum political interference but extending positive assistance when needed. He exuded confidence that empowerment of taluka would lead to a healthy competition among the talukas for their all round development, setting a benchmark of development at the taluka level as well.

The Chief Minister on the occasion released the ATVT Manual and e-Dhara Manual.

Speaking on the occasion, Revenue Minister Anandiben Patel said that the Chief Minister’s call for ‘sauna sath, sauna vikas’ for ‘inclusive growth through collective efforts’ has lent a new lease of life to the department. She said that ATVT programme would also help the government reach the last man in the last mile more effectively.

Prominent among those present at the inaugural session included Chief Secretary A.K. Joti, Principal Revenue Secretary C.L. Meena, Principal Panchayat Secretary R.M. Patel, SPIPA Director-General Arvind Agrawal and Secretary Sutaria.
Lets see how this works out!
aks_sky no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #52
CivilEngineer079

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_sky View Post
I have doubts that they will close the airport here, I mean think about the shear volume of work they would have to do just to shift the airport services to Federa. They can still have tall buildings like they do in other cities in western countries. I am in perth right now and the airport is about 20 km from the city center. As far as i am aware the airport and GIFT are further apart than 20km......
Shahibaugh Airport (existing airport) is just 10km from GIFT City by air side.
Existing airport has only one runway and one way for take off and landing i.e North side.
All flights have to wait more and it consumes more time and after take off most of the flights have to take U-turn because most of the Ahmedabad flights are Mumbai or south bound.
Expansion of airport or building a new runway or expanding the existing runway is impossible due to lack of space available near the airport.
Reversing the direction of flights is impossible because Ahmedabad City lies there and you cant have approach from the city side it should always be in opposite side of the city lies.
Thus Ahmedabad needs a new airport very fast
Old February 26th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #53
gandhi.rushabh1992
amdavad meri jaan

So why are they restricting the height to only 122 meters. Just for simplifying things, here is the layout of the area showing the approach route of the planes and how it affects the highrises both on the riverfront and GIFT.

As it can be seen, the route crosses the riverfront directly (though only at a single point), but it passes nearly 2 kms away from GIFT.

Uttaram Yat Samudrasya Himadreschaiva Dakshinam | Varsham Tad Bharatam Nama Bharati Yatra Santatih ||

The country that lies north of the ocean and south of the snowy mountains is called Bhārata. There dwell the descendants of Bharata.

Old February 26th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #54
gandhi.rushabh1992
amdavad meri jaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilEngineer079 View Post
Reversing the direction of flights is impossible because Ahmedabad City lies there and you cant have approach from the city side it should always be in opposite side of the city lies.
I dont know about landing from the city side, but certainly take-offs are done that way. For e.g. when I had gone to Chennai, the plane crossed the entire runway, made a U-turn and then took off from North to South thus crossing the entire city (which gave me some amazing views ).

Old February 26th, 2012, 11:02 AM   #55
CivilEngineer079

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilEngineer079 View Post
Existing airport has only one runway and one way for take off and landing i.e North side.
All flights have to wait more and it consumes more time and after take off most of the flights have to take U-turn because most of the Ahmedabad flights are Mumbai or south bound.
As I have said earlier only after takeoff they have to take U-turn and similarly they have to take U-turn before landing because we have more flights for Mumbai or any other south cities comparatively.

Quote:
Here I want to say that directly allowing landing from city side is not possible because if plane crashes than there will be more loss in city side compare to forest side.

Restriction of height is there near the airport because if airport is busy in handling emergency or VIP traffic to due to any reason plane is not allowed for landing than the plane will move around the city at some lower height so permission is not given for high rises.

We many times see that planes are too low while approaching towards the airport over the city thus the height of bldg is restricted to certain value.
Old February 26th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #56
aks_sky
~AkZ~

Ok that makes sense from the map. How about another runway?
aks_sky no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #57
gandhi.rushabh1992
amdavad meri jaan

I dont think there is enough space for that. It's bad and short-sighted planning. We cant even have a runway which intersects the present one.

Old February 27th, 2012, 01:00 AM   #58
Gudavalli

Likes (Received): 5154

Gujarat state in the fast lane of Indian economy

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17156917

Quote:
The Indian state of Gujarat doesn't have a metro rail system, yet the biggest carriage-making factory in the country is located here.

As India looks to upgrade its public transport in cities like Delhi, Bangalore and Hyderabad, Bombardier Transportation sees big opportunities.

Its fleet of Movia carriages operates on the Delhi metro system, where it has a contract to make 614 of them in total.

And they are being made in Savli - just outside of Baroda in Gujarat.

Set-up at a cost of more than $41m (£26m), the railway vehicle manufacturing factory will not just cater to the Indian market but serve as a hub for exporting to South East Asia and Asia Pacific.

Benoit Cattin Martel, president of the company, says building the plant in Savli in 18 months was a world record for it.

"When we were taking the big decision for the metro project, we looked around and decided to be in Gujarat.

"In fact it's proven to be a very good choice because we have great support from Chief Minister Narendra Modi and his team."

Controversial politician
The head of Bombardier is not alone in his lavish praise for the state's chief minister.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

The environment here [in Gujarat] is very worker friendly. More importantly there is business.”

Udayan Banerjee
Managing director of Sharda Motor Industries
Ratan Tata, the chairman of India's Tata Group, famously said in a public address in 2007: "It is stupid if you are not in Gujarat".

Many top leaders from Indian industry have even suggested that Mr Modi could be a likely candidate for prime minister in 2014, when the next general election is expected.

Yet while some credit the controversial chief minister for Gujarat's success, others call him a divisive force.

Months after he became chief minister in 2002, the state erupted in violent Hindu-Muslim riots that killed more than 1,000 people.

It was one of India's worst outbreaks of religious violence.

But 10 years on, whilst the controversy is still being debated, it isn't stopping business from flowing in.

Most top Indian business houses are all invested here, and most commentators agree that the state is growing faster than the rest of the country.

'Worker friendly'
But Mr Modi's prize catch is located at Sanand, an hour outside Ahmedabad - the Tata Motors' Nano car project.

New developments are springing up across the state
In 2008, the Gujarat government welcomed the investment after political unrest forced the Tatas to leave the Communist-ruled state of West Bengal.

The speed at which the entire investment moved across from the east to the west of India is a story that every businessman here narrates.

Udayan Banerjee is the managing director of Sharda Motor Industries - one of the first Tata vendors to relocate.

He says at the event to inaugurate the Nano plant that Mr Modi said the cost of bringing the huge investment to Gujarat was just one rupee (less than five cents).

This was in reference to the cost of one text message that Mr Modi sent to the Tatas saying "Welcome to Gujarat". That did the trick.

Now the Nano plant and around 60 car parts suppliers have moved here to Sanand.

Sharada Motor Industries makes 20 components for the Nano, and Mr Banerjee says businesses will move wherever they are welcomed.

"The environment here is very worker friendly. More importantly there is business.

"That's why we have all come over here. We don't have hassle for infrastructure and no hassle in getting any sanction passed by the government."

Car hub
The Tatas are not alone. Gujarat is fast emerging as the new car centre of India.

Sharada Motor Industries makes parts for Tata's Nano vehicle
Maruti-Suzuki, Peugeot, Ford and General Motors are looking to set-up plants here.

That will create the capacity to make an additional three million cars per annum, starting 2014, which means one out of every three cars sold in India will come from Gujarat.

Ford has announced that it is investing nearly $1bn in building a new vehicle manufacturing and engine plant in the state.

French carmaker Peugeot also has started setting up a plant in Sanand.

Other than the pro-business environment, carmakers say the advantage in Gujarat is its easy access to ports which reduces freight costs.

No power cuts
But the biggest reason for Gujarat's popularity is that unlike most of India it is a power-surplus state.

Mr Banerjee says: "We don't need a captive generator to run our plant here. This is the only plant I have out of the 17 plants in seven states in India that doesn't need a backup generator."

Other than coal-based thermal power plants, the state leads the country in solar energy usage.

The Asian Development Bank recently approved a $100m loan to Gujarat to build a 500 megawatt solar park.

Apart from energy, infrastructure in the state is also on the fast track.

Gujarat has a reputation for being very business friendly
Roads are being widened and upgraded. The city of Ahmedabad has a successful Bus Rapid Transit System and is soon getting a metro rail project.

The state is the biggest benefactor in the proposed Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor. Nearly 40% of this corridor passes through Gujarat.

New airports and ports are being planned.

Gujarat already has 41 ports that handle 80% of India's traffic and 20% of its cargo. The state is promoting at least four private ports - Mundra, Pipapav, Kandla and Dholera.

Everything is geared towards one thing - and that's to attract more business here.

Benoot Cattin Martel, president of Bombardier says it's effective.

"What it [Gujarat] is doing right is to treat industry with priority," he says.

"They walk the talk - that means all commitment made by Gujarat has been served to the industry.

Industry is very dependent on capacity to produce on time and quality. So this is definitely the right environment for us."

'Business acumen'
But is the state's economic success because of the politician in power or is it the people of the state?

Ordinary Gujaratis too say they have moved on, such as Ravin Vyas, 42, and his family.

Running a chemical business, he says it's the spirit of the people here that drives the state.

"Businessmen are respected here. We move on - political incidents, natural calamities happen everywhere. They don't deter us.

"The business acumen is ingrained in the culture here. That's what the culture of Gujarat is!"

But 10 years on, have people really forgotten the terrible violence of 2002?

Not really. But people are quick to point out that it hasn't stopped its economic triumph.

Whether it's because of the government or it's the people, the state is attracting more investment than the rest of the country.

Now it's up to the rest of India to see if there are lessons for them to learn from Gujarat's economic strides.
Gudavalli no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2012, 02:36 AM   #59
aks_sky
~AkZ~

Quote:
I dont think there is enough space for that. It's bad and short-sighted planning. We cant even have a runway which intersects the present one.
I think the only thing that they can do would be to acquire land and rehab the people living in the surrounding areas. I think that would be more cheaper than having a new airport. But hey lets see what happens in the near future about what they plan on building height.
aks_sky no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #60
akku13

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
So why are they restricting the height to only 122 meters. Just for simplifying things, here is the layout of the area showing the approach route of the planes and how it affects the highrises both on the riverfront and GIFT.

As it can be seen, the route crosses the riverfront directly (though only at a single point), but it passes nearly 2 kms away from GIFT.
federa airport or ahmedabad international airport will be the biggest airport no for ahmedabad but for entire country.. situated just 60 kms from city limit and the way ahmedabad is expanding the airport will be inside city in just few years..
akku13 no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread