CARSON - Dignity Health Sports Park (27,000) - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2017, 07:50 PM   #81
pesto

Likes (Received): 4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamaroon View Post
Well, like the San Diego Clippers before them, I think the Chargers' game plan is to be the "budget" option for transplants that want to see their team come to town, and also contrarians who don't want to support the main local team. I think they can build a pretty good niche for themselves if they keep prices reasonable and create a distinct gameday experience at the Inglewood stadium. And I mean, it is still the NFL, the number one sport in America. The Rams are still getting their footing, if the Chargers start winning and winning big they WILL get support and fans in Los Angeles. (and if the Rams are winning as well they can co-exist, it's a big town )
As usual, you sum it up well. There are two NHL, NBA, MLB, MLS and major NCAA teams so NFL should be able to squeeze in two.

But only if they perform. If not then you are a specialty act with a limited audience.

In any event, we are in the golden age of broadcast sports so actual presence at the stadiums is less significant. But you do have to sell those premium packages.

aquamaroon liked this post
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2017, 09:25 PM   #82
aquamaroon

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de Los Ángeles
Likes (Received): 7363

Sorry for the delay but thank you for the nice words pesto!

Yeah we are in a bit of a Golden Age of sports television deals. Although some would use another term :cough:bubble:cough:. The NFL is unique of course in that the TV deals are collectively bargained, so if the Chargers do well in the second largest media market that will benefit not just the Chargers but the League as a whole.
aquamaroon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 08:10 PM   #83
pesto

But also actual attendance at a game becomes more of a waste of time if you can, say, go to brunch at Rose Café and then stroll Venice with the wife and kids and then go home (or the local tavern) to watch the game with friends on the big screen premium channel with all the bells and whistles.

At least in some cities the stadiums are competing with many alternative things to do and places to watch the game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2017, 06:32 AM   #84
JohnKay75
Stadium Lover

Likes (Received): 961

Took a walk around the stadium a couple weeks ago.

aquamaroon, EPA001, redspork02, will101, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by JohnKay75; June 9th, 2017 at 05:06 PM.
JohnKay75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2017, 07:21 AM   #85
aquamaroon

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. For our purposes, looks like work has begun on the new video board! (on the opposite side of the field from the main one) Hopefully they'll get that up and running soon. Doesn't look like they've started the installation of the chair back seats on the second tier, hopefully there's time before Chargers season!
Thanks again for all the evidence
Old June 9th, 2017, 07:01 PM   #86
pesto

Quote:
Very cool! Thanks for sharing. For our purposes, looks like work has begun on the new video board! (on the opposite side of the field from the main one) Hopefully they'll get that up and running soon. Doesn't look like they've started the installation of the chair back seats on the second tier, hopefully there's time before Chargers season!
Thanks again for all the evidence
Wow, how time flies. That's only about 2 months from now.

Do you think the hockey and football seasons will ever link up?
Old August 8th, 2017, 10:02 PM   #87
Mr_Illusive

Likes (Received): 94

It looks like the upgrades were completed based on what we saw during the the joint practice. Anyone have clear shots of the seats on the grass berm?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2-cr7xBEBg

Mr_Illusive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 10:31 PM   #88
aquamaroon

Yep! Looks like they finished the renovations in time for the NFL seasons.
- the upper tier is now fully seated
- new HD video board on the opposite end of the stadium (with a big Universal Studios ad on top!)
- new HD ribbon boards
- new suites (I guess? hard to see)

Here are some more photos from twitter, including shots of the temporary stands:

https://twitter.com/thejackwang/stat...67117397118977

https://twitter.com/BoltsGuru/status/893987738063577088

https://twitter.com/JoeChacon/status/893969877119127552

And here are some highlights from the Chargers of their scrimmage with the Rams, including shots/discussion of StubHub:

Honestly? I think it looks pretty good! I have to admit I was skeptical of putting the NFL in an MLS stadium, but I think the facility looks great and if the fans bring the energy it could actually be a pretty good venue for the Chargers

EPA001, will101 liked this post

Last edited by aquamaroon; August 11th, 2017 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Resized Pics
Old August 8th, 2017, 10:41 PM   #89
aquamaroon

Your post got me thinking, it's a little crazy this has flown under the radar here! Shows the task the Chargers have in their #FightforLA. Basically they are dealing with two big tasks in order to cement their status in their new town. For one, they are entering a VERY crowded market. By my count, LA currently or will soon have 15 sports teams that can draw 5,000 plus fans:

- Rams
- USC Football
- Chargers
- UCLA Football
- Dodgers
- LA Angels of Anaheim
- Lakers
- Clippers
- Kings
- Ducks
- LA Galaxy
- LAFC
- UCLA Basketball
- USC Basketball
- Sparks (WNBA)
(the last two hover around 5,000 or so)

So as you can see, that's a LOT of competition to begin with! And, the Chargers' problem is compounded by a second issue. Even with all these teams, from my experience in LA there are three teams that really matter in town: the Lakers, the Dodgers and USC Football. And the Chargers happen to be breaking into the market at a time when all three of them are good and/or interesting! The Dodgers are making a run at the World Series, USC is going to start the year with a top 10 ranking and a Heisman favorite in Sam Darnold, and even the Lakers are getting a ton of buzz with Lonzo Ball and whispers that LeBron may come next year! Not only are the Chargers entering a crowded market, they are doing so when all the main teams are drawing attention. So they can definitely find their place in LA, maybe even be the number one NFL team! But it'll sure be tough.
Old August 9th, 2017, 12:31 AM   #90
Mr_Illusive

Likes (Received): 94

Wow. It actually looks really well done. It looks like they won't be adding more seats in the grass berm? It looks like they can fit more. It's going to be fun watching a game.

I agree. I was kind of surprised that no one said anything on here. The Chargers definitely have their work cut out for them. Fall and winter sports is going be crazy busy in LA. In October alone they will be battling with the Rams, Lakers, Clippers, Kings, Ducks, Dodgers, USC, UCLA, Galaxy. I think the Angels will be eliminated by then.

They really need to come out strong to get some serious attention.

aquamaroon, redspork02 liked this post
Mr_Illusive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2017, 05:54 PM   #91
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 922

Say what you want about the Chargers moving but StubHub will be a great place to watch a football game. As well as a football game.

soup or man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 08:22 AM   #92
JohnKay75
Stadium Lover

Likes (Received): 961

I walked around the stadium the day after the scrimmage, tried to get some shots of the new seating and also got my hands on a flyer that goes over tailgating rules and also the Chargers Express shuttle service to the StubHub.

will101 liked this post
JohnKay75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 08:14 PM   #93
pesto

Quote:
Your post got me thinking, it's a little crazy this has flown under the radar here! Shows the task the Chargers have in their #FightforLA. Basically they are dealing with two big tasks in order to cement their status in their new town. For one, they are entering a VERY crowded market. By my count, LA currently or will soon have 15 sports teams that can draw 5,000 plus fans:

- Rams
- USC Football
- Chargers
- UCLA Football
- Dodgers
- LA Angels of Anaheim
- Lakers
- Clippers
- Kings
- Ducks
- LA Galaxy
- LAFC
- UCLA Basketball
- USC Basketball
- Sparks (WNBA)
(the last two hover around 5,000 or so)

So as you can see, that's a LOT of competition to begin with! And, the Chargers' problem is compounded by a second issue. Even with all these teams, from my experience in LA there are three teams that really matter in town: the Lakers, the Dodgers and USC Football. And the Chargers happen to be breaking into the market at a time when all three of them are good and/or interesting! The Dodgers are making a run at the World Series, USC is going to start the year with a top 10 ranking and a Heisman favorite in Sam Darnold, and even the Lakers are getting a ton of buzz with Lonzo Ball and whispers that LeBron may come next year! Not only are the Chargers entering a crowded market, they are doing so when all the main teams are drawing attention. So they can definitely find their place in LA, maybe even be the number one NFL team! But it'll sure be tough.
Just win, Baby!

Old August 12th, 2017, 08:20 PM   #94
aquamaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Just win, Baby!
yep that too!
Old August 13th, 2017, 02:09 AM   #95
Aztex82

Likes (Received): 48

Are the seats due to be replaced? The stadium was built when the Galaxy donned green & gold and blue would fit both teams now, but I'm not sure how long their shelf life is.
Aztex82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 03:55 AM   #96
Marckymarc
Namasté

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztex82 View Post
Are the seats due to be replaced? The stadium was built when the Galaxy donned green & gold and blue would fit both teams now, but I'm not sure how long their shelf life is.
30-40 year shelf life on the seats in SoCal. Most of the Coliseum's seats date back to the early 70s.

Aztex82 liked this post
Marckymarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2017, 07:29 AM   #97
aquamaroon

The NFL comes to StubHub! The Chargers opened up preseason today against the Seahawks:

https://twitter.com/StubHubCenter/st...35804966010880

https://twitter.com/NFLonFOX/status/896891108336082944

Except for the final score (Seahawks won 48-17!), a good start for the #FightForLA

Chevy114, will101, Zaz965 liked this post
Old August 14th, 2017, 08:14 AM   #98
Nacre

Likes (Received): 173

There were quite a few empty seats. It is preseason, but the stadium only seats 27,000 and it was their inaugural game in a new city. . .

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/sta...23024506605569
Nacre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2017, 05:35 PM   #99
Chevy114

Likes (Received): 911

Makes you wonder how bad LA really wanted a 2nd team...
Chevy114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2017, 06:08 PM   #100
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 5210

Many would've told you LA didn't want a 2nd team unless it was the Raiders. This was more a case of what the Chargers wanted than anything else.

"How can anybody be enlightened? Truth is after all so poorly lit."
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement